PDA

View Full Version : Racquets - 2 Choices.....1 Vote !

Benjamin
03-22-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm going to order four demos (THAT'S WHY I'M THE DEMO KING :) ) in a couple weeks (or whenever my leg heels: it's either shin splints or a stress fracture - will find out this afternoon).

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to demo the Diablo, Diablo Midplus, and the Wilson ROK (have a 4 3/8" demo in the ROK but want to feel what a true 4 1/2" grip plus an overgrip feels like....to see if I want to drop down 1 grip size).

I'm looking for a racquet that is solid from the baseline (control more important that power here) but also has very good maneuverability and touch at the net.

Yes, many will say I'll return to my POG mid.....which may be true.

But after seeing what I can actually do at net (with the ROK), I would LOVE to add this deminsion to my game. Comparing the POG mid side by side the ROK, I realize that touch and maneuverability can add enough confidence in my net game for me to actually use it as a consistent part of my game.

So I would really like to find and purchase a racquet that will allow me to slice the ball and head to the net with loads and loads of confidence. I was doing this Saturday and actually loved coming to the net (something I never do...even in doubles).

Many say that any racquet can be a "volleying" stick, but I think the maneuverability, touch, and feel a racquet has can make one more comfortable up there than others.

Anyway, which of the two racquets listed above do you feel has the most of what I'm looking for in my future stick?

Thanks.

Benjamin

Benjamin
03-22-2004, 09:20 AM
HOW DO YOU THINK THE NEW HEAD LM PRESTIGE MIDPLUS WOULD STACK UP AGAINST THESE TWO?

Benjamin

tschevap
03-22-2004, 09:55 AM
This is exactly the same what i was searching for: confidence for allcourt/s&v game!

I found it 130% in the Prince Warrior MP!

Demo one and buy a couple as these frames are really cheap right now!

Audiodude
03-22-2004, 10:12 AM
After playing with the Diablo the last three times out I'm starting to experience some tenderness in my elbow. Something I've never experienced with the POG. Thus ends the demo of the Diablo Mid.

Rabbit
03-22-2004, 11:31 AM
So I would really like to find and purchase a racquet that will allow me to slice the ball and head to the net with loads and loads of confidence.

There is no such racket, Benjamin. Instead, purchase some lessons on approach shots and the volley. Your game cannot be so perfect that it boils down to equipment. If it does, then what you really need to do is send one of your beloved POG Mids down to Bosworth and let them customize it. First, you should send it down and tell them what you want done, lighter with a little more pop (that is the mantra). Then, when they send it back (with a bill), you can test it, send it back down with what you don't like (too light and too powerful) and they can adjust it thusly. After a couple of iterations and bills, you should have the perfect stick for you. OR you can take a couple of hundred (yes hundred) dollars worth of lessons on areas of your game that you feel are deficient. I'll guarantee you that if you spent as much on lessons as you do on demos, your game would be ahead of where it is now.

I do love the way in this thread that you barely got one question typed up before you added another question!

Stitch626
03-22-2004, 04:09 PM
I hear a lot of great things about the estusa PBB (slice and volleys) swingweight is only 309 afterall.....

fastdunn
03-22-2004, 07:34 PM
I think I was in Ben's shoes when I was looking for a perfect
girl for me. :-> I demoed a lot of them...

I'm not that picky anymore in both picking up a girl and
choosing a racquet. For some reasons, it starts with
appearances which bring up some imaginations.
Then I check if the racquet has adequate power level
and also see if I like the feel of hitting various balls(Penn,
Wilson, Dunlop) with it. Rest of it is just how I use the frame,
IMHO.

Good luck...

Deuce
03-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Ergonom...

Benjamin
03-23-2004, 03:56 AM
Deuce,

Tried it back in the late 80's (I think) and didn't like it. Although the guy who used it kicked my butt pretty much every time we played.

Rabbit,

Actually I've only ordered demos three or four times so the actually money I've spent is between $87 and $117. That would get me around 4 or 5 lessons in my area. Probably would have been money better spent on lessons, but it sure wouldn't have been as much fun. Yea, I had forgotten about the LM Prestige. When I started looking for racquets to get me to the net I never considered any of the 18x20 string patterns because of the lack of spin. But after trying the ROK, I realize that I can have fun at tennis (isn't that what it's all about) by coming to the net with an 18x20.

Benjamin

carlosrothstein
03-23-2004, 07:24 AM
Ben give a try to the Pro Kennex Core 1 #6, is better than the Rok and you could read on past posters that I really liked the Rok, the #6 has more power but anyway is a control oriented frame excellent at the net, very good with serve, decent mix of power and control on groundstrokes plus your game will be more rounded due to caractrisrics of this frame (all court) plus it plays nicely with even the cheapest string, no need of natural gut or something else, add this frame to the next batch of frames you will demo, the feedback is similar to the one on the Rok, some other posters just wrote about it and agree about it caracteristics.

Robert Jones
03-23-2004, 01:23 PM
I have the diablo MP I switched because I like serve and volley better than baseline. For baseline its a little too head light, add some lead to 3-9 and it will be pretty awsome.

But its really good at net. So much better than head heavy raquets that I am able to beat really good baseliners that I could never beat with my old stick.

Its very easy to manuver for volleys and excellent for overheads. Its not a super light raquet but it feels lighter than it really is. Its very head light 11pts which makes it feel very agile at net.

I'm going to have to add some lead tape (not too much) at 3-9 to make the groundies feel more like my Precision stick. At net its way better than my old stick.

If you are a pure baseliner I don't think its really the best stick, its ok good enough. But for an all court stick its one of the best I have tried. Plus you can turn it into a baseliner stick if you lead tape it so its head heavy.