PDA

View Full Version : The Connors 'biography' by Drucker

bigjimbofan
02-06-2008, 06:53 AM
I just ordered the book on Connors and it looks like it had mostly good reviews.Anyone here read this?Thoughts?

Moose Malloy
02-06-2008, 08:54 AM
It was ok. Its sorta weird to read a 'biography' that had no input whatsoever from the subject.

Most of the book is about Drucker's personal life & how it related to what Connors was doing on the court.

I'm sure Jimmy will put out his own book someday. Maybe he'll get more $ for a book deal now that he is back in the limelight again.

LttlElvis
02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
I liked it. It's probably the closest to being an authorized biography about Connors. i.e, Connors didn't object to what Drucker had to say.

You would think after Mac's book came out with success that Connors would write one too, but Connors is surprisingly seculded.

Moose Malloy
02-06-2008, 09:22 AM
I liked it. It's probably the closest to being an authorized biography about Connors. i.e, Connors didn't object to what Drucker had to say.

Yeah, but did it have anything new to say? All the stories he told can be basically found in old issues of SI(esp that Frank Deford article in the 70s, "Raised by Women to Conquer Men" it almost seems like Drucker just plagiarized the article)

I wanted to hear thoughts from the man himself, not what a fan thinks.

You would think after Mac's book came out with success that Connors would write one too, but Connors is surprisingly seculded

He was negotiating a deal after Mac's book came out, but was ****ed that he wasn't offered the same $ that Mac was offered. Their rivalry will never end.

Rabbit
02-06-2008, 09:27 AM
I just finished it. To paraphrase what Moose said, it was OK.

I kinda skipped over the parts about Drucker's education and his personal life to read more about Connors.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read.

gully
02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it is what it is -- Drucker's life as it's been influenced by Jimmy Connors. I am one of those who finds both topics equally interesting. But if you're hoping like Moose to read a Connors biography -- and if you've already read what there is to read about Connors -- I'm sure you'd be as disappointed as he.

Otherwise, I found it well written and thoughtful. If there were more good books -- with some intelligence like Drucker's -- written on the subject, I'd be a little less likely to recommend it. But there aren't.

One excellent one, though, if you haven't already read it, is The Rivals by Johnette Howard, on the Martina-Chris rivalry and friendship. Much good social commentary as well as clear reportage.

A.J. Sim
02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it is what it is -- Drucker's life as it's been influenced by Jimmy Connors. I am one of those who finds both topics equally interesting. But if you're hoping like Moose to read a Connors biography -- and if you've already read what there is to read about Connors -- I'm sure you'd be as disappointed as he.

Otherwise, I found it well written and thoughtful. If there were more good books -- with some intelligence like Drucker's -- written on the subject, I'd be a little less likely to recommend it. But there aren't.

One excellent one, though, if you haven't already read it, is The Rivals by Johnette Howard, on the Martina-Chris rivalry and friendship. Much good social commentary as well as clear reportage.

Yes, that was a good read, highly reccomended even though I am more of a fan of men's tennis. It really shows you what makes champions tick and the obsessive, neurotic side of training that goes with the glamor.

hoosierbr
02-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Good book. Not an official biography by any means but lots of interesting bits.

What I really found fascinating was Drucker's realtionship w/Connors over the years, how it developed and evolved. Drucker makes clear that his main goal was to try and get JC's nod to be his official biographer which never happened. Sometimes JC treated Drucker like a total stranger and others he'd be invited into his inner circle. Lots of insight, albeit from a distance, into JC's personality. Overall seems to be an intensely private man who distrusts most everybody, at least that's what I got out of it.