PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons of NXG Graphite mid+

dAgEnIuS
12-18-2004, 10:56 PM
i want to get NXG Graphite mid+....
can you guys tell me what are the good and bad things about NXG Graphite mid+???

moosryan
12-19-2004, 08:44 AM
its pretty heavy, and i know people complain about the air handle giving no feel. looks like a good racquet to me though

radical tourist
12-19-2004, 09:39 AM
I'm hitting with one now. I love the feel. I notice some call it dead. I call it comfortably damped. The OS has the same feel. You could basically play without a dampener. Similar to Head's Twin Tube technology. Mine specs at 308 swingweight, signficantly under the mfg. spec. of like 326. It's still got good power, comes around fast, good spin, nicely balanced for serving. I strongly recommend if you demo one that you know what it's individual specs are and that if you buy one you also request the specs you want. Which is why I'd recommend buying from someone like TW that will take care of you.

andfor
12-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Con = Strings broke easily near the top of the hoop where there are no grommets. If I could not keep stings in my NGX's it's no wonder the pro's never really started using the frame.

Otherwise a fine frame as accurately described by radical tourist.

dAgEnIuS
12-19-2004, 11:22 AM
what's up with all the people saying NXG feels "dead"???

i heard some people complaining it felt stiff, has no power,
and is too heavy....

is this true for most of you??

Slaz
12-19-2004, 03:48 PM
If you are rich enough to buy new strings every two weeks (sometimes less) ... then go for the NXG ;)

Ronaldo
12-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Couldn't you tube the mains to reduce string wear? It's a stretch but.......................

dAgEnIuS
12-19-2004, 04:46 PM
damn!!~ new strings every two weeks??~!?!?!

RacketMaster
12-19-2004, 05:33 PM
IMO, the NXG is just Prince's failed attempt to revive the POG, but that could just be me.
I hate the ridiculous idea of prince using grommet-free "technology" on this racquet.
The technology is supposed to improve feel, but people still complain that the racquet feels dead.
Save your money and buy the real deal: a POG.

radical tourist
12-19-2004, 07:22 PM
"Dead" just means damped/muted. It's a feel you like or you don't. The OS and MP both have it. I loved it. In fact, I loved it so much I couldn't stop hitting out. I think both had generous power for racquets in their class. "Heavy" also is pretty subjective. Individual racquets can vary from spec quite a bit. One thing these are not are an attempt to revive/replace the POG. Totally different feel/power/length.

Craig Sheppard
12-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Tourist, "Dead" does NOT mean damped/muted. Dead means NO FEEL. There are many racquets from Fischer and Volkl that are very damped and comfortable that still have great feel and are certainly NOT dead. You could also have a dead racquet that's very harsh and boardy. Feel is not something you can measure with a number, and it's not related to a racquet's stiffness. You just have to use the racquet and see for yourself.

Craig

radical tourist
12-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Apologies for giving the wrong answer, Craig. Just my speculation that what some call dead about the NXG is what I'd call damped. I think the NXGs have plenty of feel AND are well-damped. I think the POG is 'harsh and boardy' but has plenty of feel. I think there are other racquets that are extremely damped and comfortable that communicate little about where the ball is on the stringbed and what it's doing, which I guess is feel.

finchy
12-21-2004, 11:54 AM
what's up with all the people saying NXG feels "dead"???

i heard some people complaining it felt stiff, has no power,
and is too heavy....

is this true for most of you??

yea, i hit with my friend's one day. i could not feel a thing with that racquet. and it was heavy as heck too! i felt like swinging a rock on a stick, no power, no touch, no anything! it was strung with kevlar mains and syngut crosses though. problend i think.

anyways, i really did not like this racquet.

dAgEnIuS
12-21-2004, 12:14 PM
wow~ much more haters than lovers...

Craig Sheppard
12-21-2004, 12:17 PM
I hit about 5 balls with one and that was enough for me to know it was the worst racquet in recent memory. Sure I didn't give it a full test but the 5 shots I hit felt so bad nothing could make up for it. finchy described my experience pretty well, but the one i hit with was a normal syn gut. Prince is a joke these days. At least they still make some good strings.

Craig

WYK
12-21-2004, 10:27 PM
If anyone wants one I have a 100 sq in NXG for sale in 7/10+ for $60 shipped in the US.

WYK

dAgEnIuS
12-22-2004, 09:54 AM
do those $60 include shipping and is it used???

Redflea
12-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Funny, the extremes of opinion w/this racquet. Maybe because it is playing in POG territory... :-)

I liked the NXGs overall, the MP more than the Mid (mid has a "funny" shape that takes a bit to get used to). I felt that while the NXG was dampened down maybe a bit more than I would like, it provided enough feel and feedback, had more than enough power for me. A friend who uses a POG liked it just fine...not enough to consider switching, but no "How dare they release this trash?!" response. :-)

WYK
12-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Used, includes shipping and cover.

WYK

dAgEnIuS
12-22-2004, 02:50 PM
nice~ do you have a picture of it by any chance :?: :?:
and what does "7/10+" mean :?: :?:

WYK
12-22-2004, 04:28 PM
That's the condition of the racquet. It's probably closer to 8/10, though. No major marks. Email me for details:

rtpwyk@yahoo.com

WYK