PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints or Stress Fracture?

Benjamin
03-22-2004, 07:15 AM
I played too much basketball on Friday. The lower part of my shin started hurting but I played on it about 30 minutes longer and the pain got worse.

Work up Saturday morning with it still hurting. I went out an played three sets of tennis anyway (I know STUPID).

By the end of the third set the pain was so bad I couldn't push off my left foot.

It has continued to hurt and be swollen for the past two days.

It gives exteme pain when I walk, when I "press" my toes forward, and when I try to pull my toes back towards me.

I read in a running book that it could be just shin splints or it could be a stress fracture.

It doesn't really hurt all the way up my shin. Just for about two inches near the bottom of my shin (more on the outside than in the middle).

Any idea which of the two it may be?

Is there a way to tell without going and getting it X-rayed?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Benjamin

AAAA
03-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Benjamin,
See http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

jings
03-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Benjamin, sounds like shin splints to me. Only thing the web link doens't recommend is elevating your leg as you rest or sit - helps tremendously, and I speak from experience.

Benjamin
03-23-2004, 03:50 AM
Thanks. I ended up going to a doctor yesterday. He says that it is tendinitis...not 100% sure because it would take a couple weeks for a stress fracture to show up on an x-ray. He gave me some high power anti-inflammatory medicine and told me to take Aleve as well. He says stay away from tennis and running for at least 10 days.

Thanks for the help.

Benjamin