mcpon
02-07-2008, 01:21 AM
What do you guys think?

isuk@tennis
02-07-2008, 01:28 AM
no he's too slow

Mr.Federer
02-07-2008, 01:29 AM
Dumbest trade ever...Steve Kerr looks like an idiot now.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
02-07-2008, 01:58 AM
Did Shaq already play his first game on the Suns? If not, when?

Shaq's time is over...Snaq O'meal imo. Bynum is the new Shaq and Gasol is the new ownage.

Andres
02-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Bad bad bad trade.

Objective Danny
02-07-2008, 03:29 AM
Shaq is just like The Williams Sisters.
. . . washed-up!

JohnS
02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
The Sun's will lose their fast pace game. Bad trade in my opinion. Miami's gonna have a fast paced team with Wade, Marion, Davis, and Williams.

PROTENNIS63
02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Did Shaq already play his first game on the Suns? If not, when?

Shaq's time is over...Snaq O'meal imo. Bynum is the new Shaq and Gasol is the new ownage.

He is still with Miami Heat.

mabuhay
02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
big gamble by the suns. they made trade after gasol was traded to the lakers. i guess they just want to keep the rivalry interesting. but shaq is old with injuries here and there. phoenix's style of game doesn't fit shaq's game. shaq's a low post player and suns' are a run and gun team. we'll see what happens though ;)

iradical18
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
The Suns are taking a big chance with this one. I seems like a knee-jerk reaction to the Gasol trade. The only way I can look at this as a good trade is if Shaq busts his *** in the off season and comes back in shape, healthy and ready to ball.

UW_Husky88
02-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I picked the suns to win it all at the start of the season, and I'm still staying with them, although it's going to be harder, and it's conditional.

Shaq doesn't need to run the break: he can actually make them faster by grabbing the rebound, and then letting Amare run the break, which actually doesn't detract from their game too much. If the FB doesn't work, then he can help them in the half-court set, I think. Furthermore, let's say a TO occurs during a fastbreak, then because Shaq is the rebounder, he's usually deep enough to stop an easy bucket at the other end. Obviously, they can still score off a TO, but it's going to be harder than before. He also helps in late games when they have to eat up clock. Phoenix usually scores within the first 8 seconds of the shot clock, so having Shaq will help them by adding a dimension in which they can score later on and eat up clock. He also adds defense.

So it's a good trade right? Wrong. The Suns had a great thing going, and were middle-aged. Now they're old and have 2-3 max cracks at the championship before their franchise rebuilds again since Shaq and Nash are older now.

So all in all, I think this isn't the best deal in the world, but I'm still picking the Suns to win it all (trust me, even I think I'm crazy picking them over the Celtics), but it's going to be a lot harder, and, if Shaq isn't healthy, then I'd look for the Mavs to come out of the West (again, I know I'm crazy, but I think they're hungry this year), but the Celts to win it all.

iradical18
02-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I picked the suns to win it all at the start of the season, and I'm still staying with them, although it's going to be harder, and it's conditional.

Shaq doesn't need to run the break: he can actually make them faster by grabbing the rebound, and then letting Amare run the break, which actually doesn't detract from their game too much. If the FB doesn't work, then he can help them in the half-court set, I think. Furthermore, let's say a TO occurs during a fastbreak, then because Shaq is the rebounder, he's usually deep enough to stop an easy bucket at the other end. Obviously, they can still score off a TO, but it's going to be harder than before. He also helps in late games when they have to eat up clock. Phoenix usually scores within the first 8 seconds of the shot clock, so having Shaq will help them by adding a dimension in which they can score later on and eat up clock. He also adds defense.

So it's a good trade right? Wrong. The Suns had a great thing going, and were middle-aged. Now they're old and have 2-3 max cracks at the championship before their franchise rebuilds again since Shaq and Nash are older now.

So all in all, I think this isn't the best deal in the world, but I'm still picking the Suns to win it all (trust me, even I think I'm crazy picking them over the Celtics), but it's going to be a lot harder, and, if Shaq isn't healthy, then I'd look for the Mavs to come out of the West (again, I know I'm crazy, but I think they're hungry this year), but the Celts to win it all.

That's a good breakdown. I'm giving them a 2 year window to get something done, by that time Shaq will be WAY over the hill at 38 and Nash will be 36 I believe.

Hot Sauce
02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
I don't think it's a very good trade for the Suns, but I can understand why they did it. They needed someone to match up with Duncan when they meet in the Playoffs.

I predict that it will hurt the Suns fast break. Marion is lightning quick off the transition and he's usually one of the guys who is right up there.

tricky
02-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Not only that, but Shawn Marion is one of their key perimeter shooters, their main board guy, one of the only guys who can play defense, one of the team leaders, etc. Even though the coach says he wanted this and in fact vouched for Shaq to come there, I just can't see how this is not a Kerr-over-Antoni trade.

Hot Sauce
02-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Shaq doesn't need to run the break: he can actually make them faster by grabbing the rebound, and then letting Amare run the break, which actually doesn't detract from their game too much.

Is there any logic behind this? He'll make the Suns faster than when they had Marion by grabbing the rebound?

If the FB doesn't work, then he can help them in the half-court set, I think. Furthermore, let's say a TO occurs during a fastbreak, then because Shaq is the rebounder, he's usually deep enough to stop an easy bucket at the other end.

So you're saying that if the Suns turn it over on a fast break, since Shaq is so slow coming up the court that he'll already be set to defend the opponent's fast break? And what if the Suns get a fast break but they can't get an open look so they try to set up an offense. Since Shaq is staying behind, waiting for a turnover, they'll have to wait for him to jog up the court and get set.

tricky
02-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Another problem, you no longer have Shawn running the break. If you can put three back, you can stop the transition offense now.

In terms of defense, Shaq doesn't cover the pick and roll. Everybody in the league knows this. If you don't have lock-down guard defenders, then a slasher will put Shaq in foul trouble since he'll be slow to come over.

lethalfang
02-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Shaq can't run with the Suns if Suns want to continue to play their fast-breaking offense. Shaq can't dominate the paint anymore if Suns want to revolve their offense around him.
He'll help them defend opposing big men, however, but their offense is gonna suffer dual-personality syndrome.

zapvor
02-07-2008, 08:04 PM
all i know is:
Shaq is overrated

Nash is Beast

overrated + beast= not good

Hot Sauce
02-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Nash is beast, Nash is beast!

zapvor
02-08-2008, 05:19 AM
even hot sauce knows. oh you are from canada, haha