PDA

View Full Version : Taking Pictures at a tournament

Sup2Dresq
02-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Some discussion on another thread about taking pictures at a USTA tournament and posting them, made me do a little research. I'm no expert, just wanted to start a thread to get some opinions.

Artcle Source:

USATODAY.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-12-29-camera-laws_x.htm

Some inserts:

If you can see it, you can shoot it
Let's get the easy stuff out of the way. Aside from sensitive government buildings (e.g., military bases), if you're on public property you can photograph anything you like, including private property. There are some limits using a zoom lens to shoot someone who has a reasonable expectation of privacy isn't covered but no one can come charging out of a business and tell you not to take photos of the building, period.
Further, they cannot demand your camera or your digital media or film. Well, they can demand it, but you are under no obligation to give it to them. In fact, only an officer of the law or court can take it from you, and then only with a court order. And if they try or threaten you? They can be charged with theft or coercion, and you may even have civil recourse. Cool. (For details, see "The Photographer's Right.")
It gets better.
You can take photos any place that's open to the public, whether or not it's private property. A mall, for example, is open to the public. So are most office buildings (at least the lobbies). You don't need permission; if you have permission to enter, you have permission to shoot.

Chances are you can publish it
Publishing photos has some different restraints, although they're civil, not criminal. Break one of these "rules" and, while you won't go to jail, you could find yourself on the short end of a lawsuit. (Although, according to the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, "the subject's remedy usually will not include the ability to bar the publication of the picture.")
Revealing private facts about someone is a no-no. As the American Law Institute put it, "One who gives publicity to a matter concerning the private life of another is subject to liability to the other for invasion of his privacy, if the matter publicized is of a kind that A) would be highly offensive to a reasonable person, and B) is not of legitimate concern to the public."

WBF
02-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Here's a little document on the subject

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

It gets me heated when I hear stories of people, particularly law enforcement, violating these.

tfm1973
02-07-2008, 09:31 AM
i used to be a military journalist and broadcaster so i shot pictures for the newspaper and took video for tv newscasts. as you can imagine -- the majority of people don't want to have their picture taken or be on camera -- unless they believe they aren't going to be made fun of or embarassed. as a courtesy, i always asked people for a verbal permission to take their picture but i always knew i was under no legal obligation to do so.

the problem with the law is that there are a ton of gray areas. just because you CAN take a photo doesn't mean you SHOULD. and just because you CAN doesn't mean you won't get SUED. lol

good fun. i have a pet project where i want to bring my camcorder out and videotape people's serves. in fact i want to have a library of em. but i'm curious what most people would do.

if you don't know me and you saw me videotape you - lets say at the local public courts - what would you do?

would you come up and be angry?

would you ask me what i'm doing?

Sup2Dresq
02-07-2008, 09:36 AM
if you don't know me and you saw me videotape you - lets say at the local public courts - what would you do?

I would aim for you? Yet I wouldnt stop your video taping me.

In the case of a tournament. Its a public event, your scores are public, and its implied people will be watching you.

Not that you mentioned that TFM. Just making a distinction from the public courts question.

CanadianChic
02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Oh Sup, it appears you have a fan in tfm. Now why have you been absent from my life??

Sup2Dresq
02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh Sup, it appears you have a fan in tfm. Now why have you been absent from my life??

TFM is a nice guy. Has a huge baby daughter. :)

CC, I haven't felt any peanuts hitting me ... :(..

tfm1973
02-07-2008, 10:02 AM
CC -- don't listen to Sup. i am not that nice and my baby isn't huge. she's just big boned. she's kinda like lindsay davenport's gargantuan baby boy but a lot cuter.

sup - i'm curious if you were serving at a private club indoors - i figure i'd be within my rights to videotape your serves. but it's possible the manager of the club could ask me to stop shooting at which point i would have to stop. OR it's possible you could serve a bullet at my head and stop me real fast and i'd have to bust out my matrix like dodging skillz.

http://docinthemachine.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/bullettime.jpg

Sup2Dresq
02-07-2008, 10:06 AM
CC -- don't listen to Sup. i am not that nice and my baby isn't huge. she's just big boned. she's kinda like lindsay davenport's gargantuan baby boy but a lot cuter.

sup - i'm curious if you were serving at a private club indoors - i figure i'd be within my rights to videotape your serves. but it's possible the manager of the club could ask me to stop shooting at which point i would have to stop. OR it's possible you could serve a bullet at my head and stop me real fast and i'd have to bust out my matrix like dodging skillz.

http://docinthemachine.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/bullettime.jpg

Private property or specific terms where by management asks you to cease and exit.. is within their rights.

I would love to see that Matrix move.

Playing with Topaz in Mixed.. I do it myself when she pops it short to the net man and fails to yell out SHORT!

Moz
02-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Many tournaments in the UK which have juniors playing have a complete ban on all photography because of the threat of "men in trenchcoats".

CanadianChic
02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
TFM is a nice guy. Has a huge baby daughter. :)

CC, I haven't felt any peanuts hitting me ... :(..

Well I've been randomly tossing them around in the Bistro but you haven't been there to have them hit you. :twisted:

Oh wow TFM, is that her? I just love that face...she looks so happy!!! :)

Sup2Dresq
02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Oh wow TFM, is that her? I just love that face...she looks so happy!!! :)

Of course. That picture was taken after she ate a whole Ham. Cute isn't she.

CanadianChic
02-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Of course. That picture was taken after she ate a whole Ham. Cute isn't she.

She is a cutie!! I imagine she giggles when she is picked up. I love other people's babies...they always make me happy (unlike the still absent Sup!). :mad:

tfm1973
02-07-2008, 12:55 PM
CC -- yes that is my chubby baby. yes she's a happy baby. i think she and Sup are similar - they both giggle like the Pillsbury doughboy when you poke their tummy.

i'm bringing out the camcorder to this mixed doubles tourney on monday. i'll see if i can't get some vids. i believe Sup and Topaz will be there along with a few other TW members. canadianchic - for $1 canadian i'll attempt to hit a few overheads in Sup's direction and see if he's "The One". ;)

zapvor
02-07-2008, 07:15 PM
i used to be a military journalist and broadcaster so i shot pictures for the newspaper and took video for tv newscasts. as you can imagine -- the majority of people don't want to have their picture taken or be on camera -- unless they believe they aren't going to be made fun of or embarassed. as a courtesy, i always asked people for a verbal permission to take their picture but i always knew i was under no legal obligation to do so.

the problem with the law is that there are a ton of gray areas. just because you CAN take a photo doesn't mean you SHOULD. and just because you CAN doesn't mean you won't get SUED. lol

good fun. i have a pet project where i want to bring my camcorder out and videotape people's serves. in fact i want to have a library of em. but i'm curious what most people would do.

i would tell you to stop if i didint know you. i mean wtf? although anyone decent woudl watch me serve and realize its not worth taping

zapvor
02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
CC -- yes that is my chubby baby. yes she's a happy baby. i think she and Sup are similar - they both giggle like the Pillsbury doughboy when you poke their tummy.

i'm bringing out the camcorder to this mixed doubles tourney on monday. i'll see if i can't get some vids. i believe Sup and Topaz will be there along with a few other TW members. canadianchic - for $1 canadian i'll attempt to hit a few overheads in Sup's direction and see if he's "The One". ;)

lol
your sense of humor is great

Sup2Dresq
02-08-2008, 05:32 AM
i would tell you to stop if i didint know you. i mean wtf? although anyone decent woudl watch me serve and realize its not worth taping

I think if I read the laws/article right, if you are on a public court, you are free game. Even if you tell me to stop, I can take as many pictures as I want. I could also publish as long as I refrain from your name or info about you.

Lastly, here is the tricky part.

The rules above state I cannot show you in a negative light. Does showing the zapvor serve count as negative.. "eye of the beholder".. :confused:

Sup2Dresq
02-08-2008, 05:32 AM
I wonder if I copyright my image (which Im not sure is possible), I can stop any picture or video of me to be published without my consent.

Tricky laws. :twisted:

tfm1973
02-08-2008, 09:10 AM
zapvor -- how do you know i wouldn't wanna videotape your serve? maybe you misunderstood - i didn't say i only wanna tape GOOD serves. in particular i wanna videotape people with horrendously funky serving motions. is your serve good, bad or ugly?

my serve is pretty. pretty ugly.

sup -- posting someone's ugly azz serve is one thing. but if you post someone's serve and then comment on how embarassingly bad it is -- well you might get sued for libel. UNLESS it's the truth. the defense against libel or slander (which is just libel in verbal form) is if it's true!

i believe sup and zapvor are big doo doo heads. sue me if you dare!

Sup2Dresq
02-08-2008, 09:19 AM

I would only have to prove that I am a not a "doo doo head" too win a case.. not that Zap and I combined make up a "doo doo head".. cause it only takes one *smirks*..

*calls lawyer*..

zapvor
02-08-2008, 10:29 AM
zapvor -- how do you know i wouldn't wanna videotape your serve? maybe you misunderstood - i didn't say i only wanna tape GOOD serves. in particular i wanna videotape people with horrendously funky serving motions. is your serve good, bad or ugly?

my serve is pretty. pretty ugly.

sup -- posting someone's ugly azz serve is one thing. but if you post someone's serve and then comment on how embarassingly bad it is -- well you might get sued for libel. UNLESS it's the truth. the defense against libel or slander (which is just libel in verbal form) is if it's true!

hahaha good point. you can video my serve as an example of what not to do. my serve isnt even ugly because i dont have a serve. i dont know what its called.

the doo doo is hitting the air conditioner!

drakulie
02-08-2008, 03:26 PM
I find it creepy and weird that strangers would take photos of people they don't know. :)

drakulie
02-08-2008, 03:26 PM
I find it creepy and weird that strangers would take photos of people they don't know. :)

I do it anyways, but still find it to be bizarre. :evil:

Topaz
02-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Drak...are you having a conversation with yourself?

Its okay...it is just me sticking my nose in business where it doesn't belong! :)

drakulie
02-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I also find it weird that complete strangers would interrupt someone having a conversation with themselves.

drakulie
02-08-2008, 04:03 PM
I also find it weird that complete strangers would interrupt someone having a conversation with themselves.

I agree. Don't you mind that weird Topaz. She is just plain silly. Silly I tell you!!!

Topaz
02-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Oh man...you're the second person to call me weird this week! :shock:

I have business here, yes I do!!! ;)

At least I'm not one of those horrible people posting pictures of tennis players on a tennis forum!