PDA

View Full Version : Volkl question

LafayetteHitter
12-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Nobadmojo will probaby be able to sum this one up, here goes.

I am thinking of switching from my 90" Mid to a 98" midplus, and I am planning of trying out a few Volkl first, before I order them could you give your feedback if you've played these, I know you use the Tour 10 mp.

C-10 Pro
Tour 10 Midplus
10 V-engine Midplus

Just wondering of the overall feedback you would have on these three racquets. I have read some reviews but was wondering how they compare neck and neck, or vokl vs volkl you might say.

Scott

NoBadMojo
12-19-2004, 03:55 PM
scott i could prob write a novel on this, but will try and keep it short. dont know what is impt for you to know. the specs would tell you alot about how easy/hard they are to swing and such and thats an individual thing so i wont talk of this. personally, i feel the v-engine version to be vastly inferior to the other two, mostly because i found the stringbed to be a bit inconsistent as well as the feel, and found the stringbed and feel to be very consistent on the other two. the v-engine felt and seemed to play more like an oversize than a mp. c10 and t10mp both have really large sweetspots IMO and a great ball feel. the c10 feels a little more old school and noodley in the upper hoop and the t10mp plays more firmly but not stiffly. also the beam seems thinner on the c10 and t10. i just never seem to get an unsolid hit from these frames. c10 prob serves best of the 3 for many, but powerwise i think the t10 and VE to be more powerful in general. all can hit a nice heavy ball and penetrating slices.. they can all respond nicely for most people with a variety of tensions and strings. for me, i wish the t10 and ve versions were a bit more headlight. if you like your frames seriously headlight like alot of classic frames, the t10 and ve may disappoint. these racquets are not gonna automatically give any aspect of your game a bump <depending on what you are using>, but they will support well whatever you give them..they're great all courters racquets. hope this helps.

NoBadMojo
12-19-2004, 04:01 PM
also scott and i dont know that this is important to you, but both the c10 and t10mp are being discontinued and replaced by the tour10mp Gen2. the gen2's are to hit the US around Feb and have been available in Europe for a while. they portray it as a modernized c10pro whatever that means. without the V-engine and having fiberglass in the layup, i think they will be traditonal feeling. as a sidenote, i'm really not a big fan of any of the v-engines save for the t10ve-mid. to me, they make the frame feel too stiff where the v is and i feel the stringbed to be a bit inconsistent and the mp's feel too much like oversized frames to me. i really do think the classic volkl headshape provides you with a really huge sweetspot for the headsize.

LafayetteHitter
12-19-2004, 05:18 PM
You gave some great insight and answered the basics of the racquets enough to lead me to x-ing out the V-engine from my demo list. What I will do is demo the C10 and the Tour 10 and pick from there, I may add in the Fischer Pro 1 since I have never hit with a Fischer simply for comparison. I switched from the Prestige Classic Mid some time ago over to the RDX500 mid after demoing the Midplus 500 and Midplus 300. The main reason I considered moving away from my Prestige was that after playing an hour or so I could really start to feel the heft, and the RDX gave me good crisp shots and felt like just the right weight. I have never hit with a Volkl and have decided for my first shots with a Volkl I would try a Midplus racquet. The Prestige had great feel and was easy on my eblow (which I never have problems with), but just a little hefty after playing a while, so I am hoping I can find a racquet that feels as good as the Classic did but just a tad lighter and a larger sweetspot. I tried the LM Prestige Midplus for a while and did not like it at all. I've heard some people talk about the quality and comfort of Volkl for a while so I am looking at these first. Locally there a no people in my area playing with Volkl or Fischer, but that's because Head, Wilson, and Prince are the only racquets available in this market, and because a lot of pros use them. As far as using what the pros use, this is what I think, using Federer's racquet wouldn't allow me to play anything like Federer, especially since he would play world class using a two by four...lol So I figure go with whats comfortable and what works well for me, I assume most of the pros use what they get paid to use. Well I guess I got off topic there, thanks for the help and your knowledge of the racquets is much appreciated.

Kindly,

Scott

LafayetteHitter
12-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Ok, just went to the Volkl international website and saw the Generation 2, it does look interesting as well...any idea when this one will be available?

Scott

NoBadMojo
12-19-2004, 05:36 PM
my pleasure scott. the fischer pro1 is a really sweet bat too i think. will prob feel a little more like the c10 than the t10 to you softnesswise altho the pro1 flexes more in the throat than the head opposite to the c10pro. same kind of deal tho...good at everything. sounds like you are in the same boat as me...needing something a little lighter you can swing fast when you are deep into your hitting session..sounds like you have a good grasp of what you are doing here and are realitic about what kind of swingweight and sweetspot size you can handle. i would also suggest the slazX1 as well....it's a little firmer feeling but also good at everything, and would swing just a touch easier than any of the others we've been talking about. always best to err on the lighter side. lot harder to remove weight than add. let me know if i can help further.

Craig Sheppard
12-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Mojo, I demoed your Tour 10 MP last year. I don't remember everything about it, but the thing that made me put it down almost right away was the hot spot I thought I felt. You've never noticed this? To me it felt like the ball just jumped off the strings when I hit the spot, otherwise it didn't feel very powerful. Just couldn't get used to it.

I also demoed a C10 before the Tour 10 MP, and I remember thinking that it was a real quality racquet. Just a little too flexy for my liking (funny since I like the Fischer Pro Extreme FT) and just didn't have the feel that I was looking for. (Not to say it didn't have "feel", it just didn't feel right to me.)

Craig

Craig Sheppard
12-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Scott, I'm not disagreeing with Ed here, he's on the money recommending the Fischer Pro No 1. It's a great, great racquet. I have hit with that one but prefer the feel of the Fischer Pro Extreme FT. It's lower powered than the No. 1 but I preferred it. I have been switching recently between using the Slaz X1 and the Pro Extreme FT. To me groundies are better w/ the Fischer, volleys with the X1. Flat serves better w/ the Fischer, kick serves with the X1.

One other comment--if you're looking for something lighter, you MIGHT want to try the Pro No. 1 FT. It certainly doesn't have the following of the regular Pro No. 1 (Non-FT), but it's not necessarily bad. It just has a more dampened feel, and it's about an ounce ligther. Some people don't like it's more hollow (some say it's not as solid) feel, but it's worth a look in a lighter racquet. It's pretty smooth with a good string at lower tensions. If you're looking for a lighter racquet to make it a fourth, it's worth a shot.

Craig

NoBadMojo
12-19-2004, 07:06 PM
craig i assure you if i felt a hotspot on this frame i wouldnt be using it. i am very fussy about my gear, and to me, the most impt thing is a consistent predictable stringbed. there is a special place in the sweetspot on these for me where sometimes i am absolutely amazed at the power i get..but it is when i get fed something with alot of pace, and the power i get isnt that out of control springy sensation. i know this sensation you describe though and i have exerienced this on other frames , most notably some of the prince and head stuff , and i did feel this on the ve10mp..this spot seems to be lower in the stringbed not where i usually hit. scott i am hearing feb for the Gen2's. i'll post something when i get mine. i'm looking frwd to taking it out for a spin. the only problem i had adjusting to the t10mp's was to get my serve going well with it, but i worked on my serve and made my t10's more headlight and am serving great with them. i've not hit the ProFT so cant comment

LafayetteHitter
12-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Well after looking at all the info on the Gen 2 I am thinking of waiting for it to come out. I found a very reasonable Volkl C7 Pro this week on the bidding place which I won. It will give me a taste of Volkl while I am waiting on the Gen 2 and a chance to sell my RDX 500 mid. I remember reading some positive feedback on this older racquet so I figured I might enjoy hitting with it for a couple of months. Ed have you hit with the C7 Pro 98"?

Scott

NoBadMojo
12-26-2004, 06:39 PM
have not scott, but used the c8 pro for about 5 years. think if you do a search on the board, you might find some c7 feedback.