PDA

View Full Version : How much more spin from thinner strings?

Benjamin
03-22-2004, 08:40 AM
I currently have a demo of the Wilson ROK. I love almost everything about the racquet except for the fact that topspin is incredibly hard to apply (especially compared to my POG mid :) ).

It is strung with Wilson Exteme Synthetic Gut 16g string.

If this racquet was strung with either Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L (my typical string) or Kirschbaum Super Smash Honey 17g string, would the amount of topspin I get be enough to actually tell a difference?

Thanks.

Benjamin

dander
03-22-2004, 09:44 AM
move to a big banger ace, which is the 18 gauge, although that would negate the feel of a racket like the rok

i'm also used to the luxilon strings and would love your opinion on how they play in the pog. i'm thinking of going back to it. does the stiffness of alu power negate a lot of the feel? i'd like to stick with lux if I do change, but fear that it just chews up syn guts and other multis too darned fast

Benjamin
03-22-2004, 10:08 AM
dander,

I find the Luxilon BB ALU Power 16L strings play very well in the POG mid. I used to use Prince Syn Gut 17g w/duraflex and found that they would last all of 4 or 5 sets. I then moved to Kirschbaum Super Smash Honey 17g (a great string for the price) and eventually (last fall) went to the Luxilon in order to get a little more feel.

I find I get better feel (softer, less crisp) with the Luxilon and better topspin with the Kirschbaum. The Luxilon also gives more power than the Kirschbaum without losing any control. I used to string at 62 pounds with the Kirschbaum and now I string at 57 with the Luxilon. Getting more power and softer feel without losing any control.

I would say that the Luxilon strings give very good feel when used in the POG mid. As I said, softer than the Kirschbaum and I would say comparable to the Prince Syn Gut.

I'm not sure how much spin you apply but the POG mid does chew up anything other than Poly Like strings incredibly fast (IMO).

Good luck.

Benjamin

Gaines Hillix
03-22-2004, 10:30 AM
benjamin, you are comparing the opposite extremes in frames as it applies to spin. The POG Mid is right next to the Yonex RD7, the "spin doctor," when it comes to generating spin. The ROK is the exact opposite as are many other small head, 18x20 pattern racquets. Thin strings might help, but the key to spin with these frames is high racquet head speed and a semi to full western grip.

tnkGod4tns
03-22-2004, 03:56 PM
actually according to JCS which strings most of the pros rackets, in order to get more spin you should use thicker strings and lower the tension, I know there's a lot of thought about this but coming from somebody like JCS I would think it would be credible.

Radical Shot
03-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Try Luxilon TiMo 18g. These strings rip the felt off the ball.
________
mercedes-benz 600 specifications (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_600)

Robert Jones
03-24-2004, 09:35 PM
I have heard both theories on strings. Tennis magazine claims thicker strings spin more but people that use thin gauge say the opposite. Who is correct? Dunno for sure.

I have not tried that many different string types but I can tell you that the string does have a huge impact on spin.

People that say the key is just to swing harder to generate the spin are only partially correct.

2 years ago I purchased a new racquet and some strings that I had not tried before. I could generate tons of spin on my serve. My slices were almost like cheating. We have nets that separate the courts and my slices on the deuce court would go right into the side net making it impossible to return even if you could get to them.

I thought it was the stick doing it but I found out the truth the hard way.

When I broke the strings I replaced them with some thinner multifilament strings. The pro said once I tried the multis I would never go back. I was undefeated with my old set up, I played my last league match with the new strings and got my butt kicked hard. All my spin was gone. No matter how hard I swung I could not generate anywhere near the spin I could with my other strings. My slices were returnable, my topspin kick serves no longer had the kick. My sharp angled cross court shots were going wide. I lost control of my shots and almost my temper hehe. 3 weeks later and two more losses I still could not find a way to produce the spin I had. I had spin but it was what I would call average at best.

About the only positive thing I could find about the new strings was they had more pop at net and maybe a little more heat on first serves. I use to get almost as many winners off my second serve as my first. Not so anymore, my kick serve felt like it was neutered at the kennel.

Anyway the multis I used were thinner 17s and my old ones were 16g multis. The tension was 63lbs on each. They were not the exact same material so it was not a apples to apples comparison.
The 16g strings were stiffer feeling, the 17g were cushy feeling. Maybe if I had the new ones strung higher like 70lbs they would have given more spin. I'm not willing to try it though.

The experience reminded me of one I had with golf. I switched from
stiff shaft steel driver to a $350.00 (waste of money) Graphite shaft driver. STUPID! They called me captain hook with the graphite. :)

bcaz
03-24-2004, 10:58 PM
BB, you gotta use soft (for power and comfort), thin (for spin, open the string bed) string in the ROK, at low tension (power and pocketing). The same, in my view, goes, to a slightly lesser extent, for the Prestige 93/600 line.