PDA

View Full Version : cat hair clumping together

0range
02-08-2008, 03:09 PM
I gave my cat a bath few days ago. I always use a little bit of human shampoo and I had never experienced any problem... until today I found out her hair all clumps together here and there.. giant clumps formed all over her body. She has very fine and mid-length hair.

What do I do? Only solution is to take her to a pet shop and have the hair all trimmed off? How much does that cost and do they actually do that to cats? My cat is kinda feisty I don't know if they could handle her....

CanadianChic
02-08-2008, 03:26 PM
First of all why are you bathing your cat? Cats clean themselves unless there is a medical reason they cannot do so, such as if they are recovering from surgery.

Second, why are you using human shampoo on a cat? Shampoos are loaded with harsh chemicals and alcohol which can make your cat very ill. They clean with their tongue, so they are essentially 'licking' at all those chemicals.

Third, you can take your cat into a clinic where they will shave the clumps off (sorry, I'm not sure what the cost is as I have never been in this situation), but rest assured they will lecture you in a similar manner - if not more harshly.

Use a brush and gently work at the clumps. This will probably take several days to work them out (as you are pulling their hair out) but is the best way to go here. In the future, I would strongly recommend leaving your cat's bathing to your cat. Sorry, but I am an animal lover and am shocked when I hear stories like this.

As well, in the future, if it is 'necessary' to bathe your cat I strongly recommend you buy a shampoo from the vet's office. There are gentle and do not contain harsh abrasives. Human shampoo would dry out your cat's skin causing it to itch. Please don't respond that you always do this and this is the first time you have experienced a problem either - I have been kind to this point.

Punisha
02-08-2008, 04:00 PM
yer um cats bathe them selves...

its the dogs that u gotta clean

yodudedudeyo
02-08-2008, 04:43 PM
haha. what a funny/terrible situation.

0range
02-08-2008, 04:56 PM
First of all why are you bathing your cat? Cats clean themselves unless there is a medical reason they cannot do so, such as if they are recovering from surgery.

Second, why are you using human shampoo on a cat? Shampoos are loaded with harsh chemicals and alcohol which can make your cat very ill. They clean with their tongue, so they are essentially 'licking' at all those chemicals.

Third, you can take your cat into a clinic where they will shave the clumps off (sorry, I'm not sure what the cost is as I have never been in this situation), but rest assured they will lecture you in a similar manner - if not more harshly.

Use a brush and gently work at the clumps. This will probably take several days to work them out (as you are pulling their hair out) but is the best way to go here. In the future, I would strongly recommend leaving your cat's bathing to your cat. Sorry, but I am an animal lover and am shocked when I hear stories like this.

As well, in the future, if it is 'necessary' to bathe your cat I strongly recommend you buy a shampoo from the vet's office. There are gentle and do not contain harsh abrasives. Human shampoo would dry out your cat's skin causing it to itch. Please don't respond that you always do this and this is the first time you have experienced a problem either - I have been kind to this point.

I'd just like to point out that I am allergic to cat. I have a skin condition that would be aggravated by a special protein in cat's saliva.

I've done quite a bit of research when I first got her as a kitten, and all books says it's safe to wash cats and that I should start doing it when they're kittens so they get use to it (like nail clipping). Weekly washing/bathing will minimize my allergy.

I'll get special cat shampoo from now on. AND YES I have been doing this and it is the first time I have experience problem!!!

THANKS FOR THREATENING ME. Here's a little more information: I did not know I was allergic to cat until the first night I bought the kitten. Petstore don't give refunds.

0range
02-08-2008, 05:00 PM
This is annoying and frustrating when some people don't know the whole story and just jumped into conclusions.

All you have to do is nicely telling me that cats can clean themselves and I don't need to wash them, and I can just nicely tell you why I needed to wash my cat and that I have done the research and it is okay to do so.

Picking on me sure makes you feel good about yourself eh??

CanadianChic
02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
I'd just like to point out that I am allergic to cat. I have a skin condition that would be aggravated by a special protein in cat's saliva.

I've done quite a bit of research when I first got her as a kitten, and all books says it's safe to wash cats and that I should start doing it when they're kittens so they get use to it (like nail clipping). Weekly washing/bathing will minimize my allergy.

I'll get special cat shampoo from now on. AND YES I have been doing this and it is the first time I have experience problem!!!

THANKS FOR THREATENING ME. Here's a little more information: I did not know I was allergic to cat until the first night I bought the kitten. Petstore don't give refunds.

This is annoying and frustrating when some people don't know the whole story and just jumped into conclusions.

All you have to do is nicely telling me that cats can clean themselves and I don't need to wash them, and I can just nicely tell you why I needed to wash my cat and that I have done the research and it is okay to do so.

Picking on me sure makes you feel good about yourself eh??

Where exactly did I threaten you? Because I told you that I was nice to you up to this point? If you consider my words to be threatening that is your reaction, not my intent.

Now, if you had a story to tell it would be appropriate to state that at the beginning of your post - that way, others could respond to it appropriately. To just toss out there that you bathe your cat makes you appear unknowledgeable on animal care and simply foolish. There are pills that you can take to fight allergies. I know they are very effective as my uncle has severe allergies and takes medication as opposed to your alternative. Also, I would be interested in seeing where any research and/or 'books' say that it is okay to use human shampoo on cats. I was not trying to be mean to you orange, I was simply trying to instill in you that what you were doing was very dangerous for your pet.

yodudedudeyo
02-08-2008, 05:16 PM
that's weird that pet stores don't have a refund policy. good think i have goldfish. if one sucker dies, it's just 35 cents for another one!

0range
02-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Where exactly did I threaten you? Because I told you that I was nice to you up to this point? If you consider my words to be threatening that is your reaction, not my intent.

Now, if you had a story to tell it would be appropriate to state that at the beginning of your post - that way, others could respond to it appropriately. To just toss out there that you bathe your cat makes you appear unknowledgeable on animal care and simply foolish. There are pills that you can take to fight allergies. I know they are very effective as my uncle has severe allergies and takes medication as opposed to your alternative. Also, I would be interested in seeing where any research and/or 'books' say that it is okay to use human shampoo on cats. I was not trying to be mean to you orange, I was simply trying to instill in you that what you were doing was very dangerous for your pet.

I just knew you would make it my fault that I didn't tell you my WHOLE STORY.

How about this? Instead of assuming people are dumb and ignorant (like bathing their cat unnecessarily), NICELY ASK for more background information and they will give it to you!

"Very dangerous" for my pet?? I love my cat very much and I did all the research when I first found out that I"m allergic, and now you stand here accuse me of being a terrible pet owner.

Thank you for ruining my day, thank you very much.

0range
02-08-2008, 05:23 PM
that's weird that pet stores don't have a refund policy. good think i have goldfish. if one sucker dies, it's just 35 cents for another one!

Yeah I bought my kitten when I was living in a small northern town. All the pet store sells kittens cheap ($50 each and include all the shots and 1st vet visit) and offers no refund.

I bet it's because cat population is a serious problem there (I heard they euthanize 1000 cats each year because the over population). No wonder my friend who's a nursing student at that local university say they get to dissects dead cats instead of dead lab rats.

Terrible.

CanadianChic
02-08-2008, 05:23 PM

How about this? Instead of assuming people are dumb and ignorant (like bathing their cat unnecessarily), NICELY ASK for more background information and they will give it to you!

"Very dangerous" for my pet?? I love my cat very much and I did all the research when I first found out that I"m allergic, and now you stand here accuse me of being a terrible pet owner.

You are kidding, right? How about I start a thread telling everyone that my head hurts. After a few responses, I then tell them that I have been hitting my head against a brick wall and that instead of assuming, they should have queried me prior to giving me advice. That is about as logical as your response. I have no doubt that you love your cat, so I will offer you another piece of advice: do not allow poinsettias at cat level in your house as they are poisonous to cats and chocolate will make them very ill (even small amounts can cause seizures). I'm sorry that I ruined your day but suggest you develop a thicker skin. If you think I was mean to you, how on earth do you react to someone who actually is? Good grief!

0range
02-08-2008, 05:31 PM
You are kidding, right? How about I start a thread telling everyone that my head hurts. After a few responses, I then tell them that I have been hitting my head against a brick wall and that instead of assuming, they should have queried me prior to giving me advice. That is about as logical as your response. I have no doubt that you love your cat, so I will offer you another piece of advice: do not allow poinsettias at cat level in your house as they are poisonous to cats and chocolate will make them very ill (even small amounts can cause seizures). I'm sorry that I ruined your day but suggest you develop a thicker skin. If you think I was mean to you, how on earth do you react to someone who actually is? Good grief!

You are unbelievable.

Chocolates are bad for cats and dogs, you think I don't know that? Majority of house plants are poisoneous to cats, and you think I don't know that.

Thanks for yet again demonstrating your ability to think that everyone else besides you are idiots.

PS. And I would like to reject your suggestion of developing a thicker skin. Because to have skin THAT THICK would suggest that I need to turn into someone like YOU. No thanks!

CanadianChic
02-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh wow Orange. I hardly think everyone around me is an idiot, and I never said you were one either. I thought it would be more than obvious that the shampoo could be dangerous but hey, you knew that already, right? Now simmer down already, you are reacting very emotionally here.

Frodo Baggins
02-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Geesh I can't even Be Peaceful At Lost land >Without being Dragged Back here:rolleyes: I'll Try an Lighten The Mood a bit :D here goes> Orange are you Sure Your Washing your cat properly??? (Meaning Down below) Hint hint (Srry Lame Joke attempt) ;)>Now plzz Leave me On Lost Iland.. very peaceful there!!! (Call if Ya Need me)*Transports Herself Back to lost* ;)

0range
02-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Oh wow Orange. I hardly think everyone around me is an idiot, and I never said you were one either. I thought it would be more than obvious that the shampoo could be dangerous but hey, you knew that already, right? Now simmer down already, you are reacting very emotionally here.

Uh _I_ am acting emotional? Did you even read YOUR OWN writings?

Nice. Telling the other person to "calm down" when you're the one starting and losing an argument. I bet you use it all~ the time.

Bodacious DVT
02-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey I have an idea: how about we all start bickering about nothing and not get anywhere? That's obviously made you two look very intelligent on an issue as small as this.

Many human shampoos are OK for pets (primarily those tested on animals)

It is advised to use pet shampoo however, just as a precaution.

Rather than immediately going to the vet, contact a pet groomer and see if there is anything that you/they can do.

Is the hair matted? if so, depending on the severity, you can use a pet comb or bring it in to a groomer to get it cut.

edit: it seems the "clumps" sound alot like matting- you probably didn't dry her properly. depending on the length of the hair, you may need to gently blow dry her in the future

0range
02-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey I have an idea: how about we all start bickering about nothing and not get anywhere? That's obviously made you two look very intelligent on an issue as small as this.

Many human shampoos are OK for pets (primarily those tested on animals)

It is advised to use pet shampoo however, just as a precaution.

Rather than immediately going to the vet, contact a pet groomer and see if there is anything that you/they can do.

Is the hair matted? if so, depending on the severity, you can use a pet comb or bring it in to a groomer to get it cut.

Thanks Bodacious, this is the kind of response I was looking for when I first posted.

Yes the hair is matted (I was trying to say "clumping" but I think matted would be a better word). The clumps aren't severe, but it's everywhere. Maybe I'll try to cut them out bit by bit first...

I heard once it matted it must be cut, but if it's just small clumps I wonder if anyone had any success of getting rid of them without much trimming.

D-man
02-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I gave my cat a bath few days ago. I always use a little bit of human shampoo and I had never experienced any problem... until today I found out her hair all clumps together here and there.. giant clumps formed all over her body. She has very fine and mid-length hair.

What do I do? Only solution is to take her to a pet shop and have the hair all trimmed off? How much does that cost and do they actually do that to cats? My cat is kinda feisty I don't know if they could handle her....

yeah, i had a cat with longer hair, and sometimes it will get hard clumps in it if you don't brush them regularly. just cut them out with scissors.. very carefully!

CanadianChic
02-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Uh _I_ am acting emotional? Did you even read YOUR OWN writings?

Nice. Telling the other person to "calm down" when you're the one starting and losing an argument. I bet you use it all~ the time.

0range. I've had a moment to step back and reflect on my words. When it comes to animals I tend to be very fierce and perhaps I came on a little strong. Sometimes, after thinking something over one realizes that their approach may not have been the best route to take. I'm sure you do love your cat and hate to see it in this condition. I love mine very much but am not perfect...I have made mistakes as well. I apologize if my posts were hurtful, that wasn't the intent.

onehandbh
02-08-2008, 10:22 PM
yeah, i had a cat with longer hair, and sometimes it will get hard clumps in it if you don't brush them regularly. just cut them out with scissors.. very carefully!

I highly advise against using scissors to cut your cat's fur.
Cats have very stretching, loose skin and it's easy to
accidentally cut the skin and then it will tear open wide.
If you insist on doing this, then use a fine come to comb
up the fur and then cut on the fur on the outside of the comb
away from the cat. Sort of like what a barber does with
fingers & a scissor.

D-man
02-08-2008, 10:51 PM
I highly advise against using scissors to cut your cat's fur.
Cats have very stretching, loose skin and it's easy to
accidentally cut the skin and then it will tear open wide.
If you insist on doing this, then use a fine come to comb
up the fur and then cut on the fur on the outside of the comb
away from the cat. Sort of like what a barber does with
fingers & a scissor.

I had a cat for over 14 years. Cut her hair just fine, and never snipped her skin "wide open." But I suppose someone could, if they tried hard enough.

alienhamster
02-08-2008, 10:53 PM

With all due respect, I was a bit taken back by the defensiveness of these posts. You asked a question, and CC and others gave their opinions. And then you sorta berated her for simply expressing surprise that you washed your cat with human shampoo (which, honestly, I too have read is not healthy for them).

Isn't it a little much to tell someone that they "ruined" your day simply because they didn't have the exact tone you wanted? I didn't see anything mean in her post, and nowhere did I see her imply that you were "dumb and ignorant."

In any case, I've read and heard from other cat owners that washing them can really dry out their skin and negatively affect their hair. It doesn't sound like the clumping is a result of it, but perhaps that's a possibility. The brushing and scissors advice is good. And pet groomers can shave down a cat's hair if it's very long and forms too many mats.

0range
02-08-2008, 10:56 PM
0range. I've had a moment to step back and reflect on my words. When it comes to animals I tend to be very fierce and perhaps I came on a little strong. Sometimes, after thinking something over one realizes that their approach may not have been the best route to take. I'm sure you do love your cat and hate to see it in this condition. I love mine very much but am not perfect...I have made mistakes as well. I apologize if my posts were hurtful, that wasn't the intent.

Thank you, CanadianChic, I'm surprised and I really appreciate this kind comment. I had a feeling that maybe you've witnessed some cases of animal abuse so you feel strongly to issues relating pets and animals. I'm actually like that too! I guess that's why I was upset when someone suggested that I mistreated my cat. Perhaps I was being too defensive... and I knew your intention was good. I apologize too for the strong language.

(Thanks for telling me about the pill, I didn't know it existed; I'll ask my doctor about it maybe it'll get rid of my constant eczema flair-up once and for all.)

0range
02-08-2008, 11:02 PM
With all due respect, I was a bit taken back by the defensiveness of these posts. You asked a question, and CC and others gave their opinions. And then you sorta berated her for simply expressing surprise that you washed your cat with human shampoo (which, honestly, I too have read is not healthy for them).

Isn't it a little much to tell someone that they "ruined" your day simply because they didn't have the exact tone you wanted? I didn't see anything mean in her post, and nowhere did I see her imply that you were "dumb and ignorant."

In any case, I've read and heard from other cat owners that washing them can really dry out their skin and negatively affect their hair. It doesn't sound like the clumping is a result of it, but perhaps that's a possibility. The brushing and scissors advice is good. And pet groomers can shave down a cat's hair if it's very long and forming too many mats.

Geez, I was just making nice with CanadianChic and you feel the need to give your 2 cents.

EDIT: Different individuals have different issues sensitive to them; CC and I both said things we didn't mean. We want to move on so can you please don't try to stir things up again?

Deuce
02-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Yeah I bought my kitten when I was living in a small northern town. All the pet store sells kittens cheap ($50 each and include all the shots and 1st vet visit) and offers no refund.

I bet it's because cat population is a serious problem there (I heard they euthanize 1000 cats each year because the over population). No wonder my friend who's a nursing student at that local university say they get to dissects dead cats instead of dead lab rats.

Terrible.

I love my cat very much and I did all the research when I first found out that I"m allergic..

Too bad that your "research" didn't tell you that buying animals from pet shops involves no "love" at all.
Too bad you didn't research where the animals from pet shops come from.

You've got all those stray cats running around your town - and yet you went and bought a cat at a pet shop!
Did you not even think of expressing your 'love' by taking in one of the many stray cats in your town, and thereby saving its life?

0range
02-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Too bad that your "research" didn't tell you that buying animals from pet shops involves no "love" at all.
Too bad you didn't research where the animals from pet shops come from.

You've got all those stray cats running around your town - and yet you went and bought a cat at a pet shop!
Did you not even think of expressing your 'love' by taking in one of the many stray cats in your town, and thereby saving its life?

My God the reason why those local pet shops sells kittens so cheap (and don't give refund) is that there are so many unwanted kittens in town and pet shops are working with the local SPCA to get those kittens homes as soon as possible. It was a town where litters of kittens were found in the garbage every other day!!

SPCA subsidize some of the fees otherwise how do you think pet shops make money selling kittens for $50 each including deworm, shots, and first vet visit (while other pet shop in the city charge $200)?

Why don't you do "think" and do your "research" before you open your mouth??? Wait you don't live there, you don't know the situation, so why would you bother? It'd be so much easier to just open your mouth and lecture someone.

And you are supposing that instead of getting a kitten like that, I should just go out and catch a stray cat and bring it home? All I need to do is give it a place to live and food and water, and a life saved right? If only everything were that simple! Don't I also need to get it check out by a vet first? Pay for the deworms and vaccination? If I get a kitten from the pet shop everything like check up is already done through the SPCA so why would I choose the other route?

I did not do anything wrong and I can't believe I need to justify myself to you. I thought when I mentioned "$50 including 1st pet visit, deworm and vaccination" in my previous post, smart people would already put 2 and 2 together and realize that it's barely just an adoption fee and nobody is making money!

0range
02-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Look Deuce, I know you mean well.

I actually agree with you that pet shops are evil... the ones who breed animals for profits. But many of the major pet stores are catching up to humanity now. Petcetera for example, they "sell" cats and dogs in their store but the animals actually came from SPCA (animal shelter), and the cost of those animals is just the adoption fee.

Although some people still don't believe in neutering/spaying their pet (like that small town I lived in which has cat over-population problem), I believe the majority of public are educated on domestic animal care.

Maybe there are minority who are still a little ignorant on some issues... but by antagonizing them it gets you nowhere.

In fact it is totally unnecessary.

0range
02-09-2008, 09:31 AM
BTW after a series of careful trimming and combing, my cat's fur is fine now, if anybody cares!

alienhamster
02-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Geez, I was just making nice with CanadianChic and you feel the need to give your 2 cents.

EDIT: Different individuals have different issues sensitive to them; CC and I both said things we didn't mean. We want to move on so can you please don't try to stir things up again? If you don't want responses to a question in a public forum, don't ask for advice and then berate/judge everyone for not giving the exact tone you want. And heck ya I gave my 2 cents (since it IS a public forum), cause I thought you were being kinda jerky with someone trying to give you some advice. (It was also advice I happen to agree with.)

I don't want to argue with you about this, so please cool it with the "stir things up" accusation. If you're going to get offended by every little thing, perhaps you shouldn't ask the question to begin with.

I'm said my piece here. Good luck with the cat.

Kobble
02-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I used to wash my cat with Suave. It got the fleas out, made him cuddley, and one happy kitty. If my cat could talk he would say, "Bring on the people shampoo!"

0range
02-09-2008, 04:35 PM
If you don't want responses to a question in a public forum, don't ask for advice and then berate/judge everyone for not giving the exact tone you want. And heck ya I gave my 2 cents (since it IS a public forum), cause I thought you were being kinda jerky with someone trying to give you some advice. (It was also advice I happen to agree with.)

I don't want to argue with you about this, so please cool it with the "stir things up" accusation. If you're going to get offended by every little thing, perhaps you shouldn't ask the question to begin with.

I'm said my piece here. Good luck with the cat.

It IS a public forum. I asked a question regarding cat hair, and you can comment on the cat hair all you want.

As with my "beef" with another member, instead of letting us work it out you feel the need to offer your biased comments. The other member and I are apologizing/already apologized ot each other, so I don't know what you are trying to achieve by bringing the same issue up again.

You think you are "helping", but you are not doing anyone any good.

CanadianChic
02-09-2008, 04:40 PM
0range it's over and we're cool. Alienhamster is a great poster and is indeed entitled to his opinions as well. He is not trying to start anything with you, so I would suggest you let that go.

As for your cat, I'm glad to hear the bulk of the tangles are out. I definitely advise asking your doctor about cat allergy pills as I'm sure they will help. The problem here is that you have an allergy and it is the allergy that needs to be treated rather than the cat. Instead of washing the cat which as I've already stated is inadvisable for many reasons, it is much easier and healthier for both of you to go the pill route.

Regardless of what anyone on this forum offers regarding the safety of shampoos, I strongly advise you not repeat that...and I have a feeling you won't. It can make them very uncomfortable as well as sick which I know you would never intentionally subject your cat to. Now, I think we can probably move along now, no? ;)