PDA

View Full Version : The Era of Belgian Hegimony is Over -- The Party is Over

Petra Martinnen
03-22-2004, 09:26 AM
With Serena back and, we hope, motivated, Justine's magic time is at an end. Why? The balls that Lindsay, stuck in cement?, watched zoom by will be returned now and it will take more than confidence and Etcheberry when Serena and Venus get warm by mid summer. Belgian sisters will have quarterfinal power now, as it should be. Without those Williams sises the WTA was so totally exposed to even huge WTA fans like me! A few more IW like tournaments and that WTA bubble bursts. So I still admire Justine so much but this has been ridiculous. Where did Petrova and Zvonareva and Daniela go? Looks like Richard really got it right all along, the WTA -- Williams Tennis Association. I never thought I'd be so disppointed for so many months when I thought it would be wide open without 2 Williams, but the rest of the pack just did an invisible act in late rounds. And worse to think that if the Belgians were not in action, Lindsay would have won every single tournament with no opposition. I think I may owe apology to guys who warned me about the gals' depth issue.

edge
03-22-2004, 09:56 AM
You're going to nbe surprised when JHH takes out Venus the next time they meet. As foe Serena, it will be a good match. I think Venus will never dominate again. Unless she becomes more of an attacker, she will also be an also-ran.

The tennis guy
03-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Well, Venus has come back, you already saw what happenned. She hasn't improved since 2002 while the rest of the tour have. Those who dreamed of Serena and Venus as 1 and 2 again will be probably disappointed.

Serena is a different story. You'd be surprised how well JHH will do against Serena. IF Serena gets back to her top level again, I would give Serena adge on grass, indoor, faster hard court, give edge to JHH on clay, slower hard court. Even during Serena's dominating 2002 and part of 2003, JHH has played her tough, beat her 3 times on clay. JHH has improved every aspects of her game, serve, return, forehand, and volleye. Serena needs to improve as well. Otherwise, JHH plays just too well now. Her one handed topspin return is the best ever by a female one hander.

Stinkdyr
03-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Justine the Giant Slayer will continue to rock.

@wright
03-22-2004, 11:14 AM
I hope JHH keeps doing what she's doing. At least her strokes are prettier to watch than those of the Sistahs. Her improved play could make for some nice rivalries and/or epic battles though.

larrhall
03-22-2004, 01:17 PM
You're right in a way, in that it looks like shared Belgian-Russian hegemony. Not much hope for Venus, Serena is not that motivated perhaps. We will see. JHH's game right now is better than Serena at her peak(s).

prince
03-22-2004, 03:56 PM
I feel the williams sisters type of play are prone to injury . they will have runs for titles but they will be plagued by injuries.

i would love to seee JHH and Serena slug it out in the remaining slams.

garland
03-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Somehow, I think that Justine will do just fine against Serena unless there's more motivation than we've seen so far on SW's part. This doesn't mean that either will win all the time. I'm honestly looking forward to a good rivalry on the tour, and some hard feelings on both sides will just make it more interesting to watch. Justine vs. Kim hasn't lived up to its promise any more than Serena vs. Venus did.

BTW, just 'cause I feel like being persnickety tonight, hegemony doesn't have an "i" in it, though Dan Quayle might've spelled it that way :).

edge
03-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Why are the sistas always injured? 'roids?

NoBadMojo
03-22-2004, 04:24 PM
they are injured from poor stroke production especially on the backhand side. IMO. Ed

Max G.
03-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Don't be too quick to assume anything about how the Williams Sisters will play. They might dominate, like they once did; they might play equally with Justine; or they might never make it back up to #1 contention.

I really don't know. We will see, won't we! And it'll be fun to watch as it unfolds.

Joe Average
03-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Aw, leave the Belgians alone. They haven't had it so good since Eddy Merckx retired. Also, does being #1 and #2 in the WTA rankings constitute hegemony? Small world if it does. There was an interesting article in the NYTimes by the excellent Selena Roberts recently about Serena's comeback. Seems she's more focused on acting than tennis. Even her friends and supporters are concerned. And having seen her acting, my guess is that Serena and Paris Hilton are going to the same school.

Phil
03-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Serena was born to play tennis. Acting? Do I see Lady McBeth in her future? We may see her returning to her day job real quick.

Loud
03-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Maybe they'll be less motivated with all the cash from Reebok and Nike. Did Serena don any Nike outfits yet for any tourneys?

SonicSpeed
03-23-2004, 08:24 PM
It's all about motivation and work ethic.

Ronaldo
03-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Seems just when the best WTA players discover all the answers to beating the Sistahs, younger players change the questions. IMO, the times are changing and so will the the WTA. Forgetabout the senior WTA tour.