PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Cat 10. Soft? Low Powered? Anybody like it?

ej
12-21-2004, 08:48 AM
I've got some tendon issues in my hand. I'm looking for something soft and low powered. Should I demo this...?

NoBadMojo
12-21-2004, 10:21 AM
it is soft and lower powered, but if you hit anything flat it goes B-O-I-N-G !! stringing tight helps a bit, but really shrinks the sweetspot in this frame to me and gives it a strange feel <kinda like the stringbed is much stiffer than the frame> c10pro is very soft and low powered if you can deal w. the swingweight.

Ronaldo
12-21-2004, 11:48 AM
If you can use a really lightweight, <11 oz, try the CAT 6 or 7 strung loosely, 50# or less. Really soft feel, low-powered, easy to swing. If you need more mass, the Head Instinct Tour XL strung very loosely, ~45# is nice.

fred-s
12-21-2004, 01:05 PM
I'd recommend the Cat V1 as an alternative. Didn't seem to have the same problem as the Cat 10 has, as described in the previous post. Felt more solid to me despite the lighter weight (less headlight), very easy to generate tons of spin, but can also hit flat. You can also add weight to it.

Zverev
12-21-2004, 01:12 PM
I am playing with Cat 10 now, well, more exactly I am not playing with it now, benched for 6 weeks already with golfer's elbow.
Developed GE when moved from PS Zone 7.1 to Cat 10.

I don't think that Cat 10 is a direct culprit, though.
It's got much lesser swingweight than my customised Zone,
my forehands became wristy, GE as a result.
I have added lead at 3 and 9 to make SW same as Zone,
it feels much better now.
As well, added weight improved stability of Cat 10,
and stability in the head is a major drawback of Cat 10, I think.
Off the shelf, Cat 10 feels kind of twisty if you miss sweet spot.

It's true, you have to string it tighter, I have it at 59lbs and would like to add couple of pounds more next time.

There are a lot of positive things about this racquet.
My partners mentioned that my shots feel much heavier with this racquet, returns are deep, easy to volley, fast at the net.
I had problems with my wrist, not any more, Cat 10 is better for wrist than Zone.