PDA

View Full Version : RDX 500 mid, MP, Diablo mid, MP--the best?

Coria
12-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Do any of these rackets particulary stand out to anyone? It seems most of whom I've read like the RDX mid the best. Is it better than the Diablo mid? Also, why don't people seem to talk much about the Diablo MP? It seemed to be rated well.

TripleB
12-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Coria,

I'll try to give you some help in a couple weeks. I ordered the three RDX-500 models (mid, midplus, HD midplus) as well as the Babolat Pure Control demos last Friday. I was hoping they would be in today but no such luck.

I've demoed the Diablo mid in the past and felt that it gave too much of a muted feel (compared to the POG mid) and was a little slow (once again, compared to the POG mid). Very nice racquet, just not as good as my POG mid so there was no reason to change.

I've also tried the Diablo Midplus and it seemed to be no relation to the Diablo Mid. I never found a solid feel and groundstrokes lacked the depth that I'm used to with my POG mid and it wasn't even close to the Diablo mid in terms of solid feel. With the Diablo Midplus (compared to the Mid): control suffered, depth suffered, power suffered, timing suffered, serves suffered, etc. Other than that it was a great racquet :D

Again, I'll try and post some feedback on all the RDX-500 models in a copule weeks.

TripleB

chicubs
12-21-2004, 12:45 PM
I honestly hated the diablo midplus when i demoed it. Felt really boardy and stiffy...not sure if others get the same results as me. The rdx mid or midplus (im getting some midpluses) are both great choices and you wont go wrong with them.

El Diablo
12-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Have hit with all of them, would recomment RDX MP above all the others -- fine stick, no big flaws, can work with any type of game. I thought the mid was just too underpowered. Diablo MP has a serious stability problem; I felt like a polio victim when I tried to volley with it, as it twisted and deposited my volleys (which usually are reasonably good) at the base of the net. Diablo mid is very solid, great backcourt weapon, felt slow at the net.

SteveI
12-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi,

I have hit with the Yonex RDX 500 MP. Very solid frame. No real weakness. A real spin machine to be sure. Seems like the perfect baseline frame. Used the Diablo MP... was not real impressed. Not a bad frame... just not that great. Did not seem to go thur thur air very well and hitting volleys was a adventure. Sorry did not try the RDX mid. Hope some if this helps.

Steve

Coria
12-21-2004, 01:56 PM
thanks guys. I'll give the RDX Mp a try--probably the best for my game.

Coria
12-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Is the reason the Diablo MP lacks stability because of it's headlightness? Maybe 10 points is too HL? The specs aren't too much different than the RDX MP. It's 100 Sq.inches as opposed to the RDX 98, with the extra 1/4 inch length. Why such a noticeable lack of stability with the Diablo MP if it has a 316 swingweight?

monologuist
12-21-2004, 05:08 PM
stability issues in the Diablo MP can be easily fixed with only 3 g. of lead @ 3 and 9 o'clock each....then another 6g. under the grip if you want to keep the balance. when I demoed it, I tried this, and it volleyed great, while retaining its excellent feel and maneuverability (which exceeds that of the rdx-500 and Diablo mid) I can't believe anyone would find it to be stiff....it is a very flexible racquet. Great for serving and topspin groundies, a little weak on the slices. My only problem with it was that I needed just a tad more power. The RDX-500, both mid and mp, is one of the most overhyped, overrated racquets I tried out of the many dozens that I demoed. An aforementioned comparison to a "wet noodle" I found to be a fitting analogy. I got my butt kicked all around the court against a heavy hitter with the RDX.

chicubs
12-21-2004, 05:22 PM
stability issues in the Diablo MP can be easily fixed with only 3 g. of lead @ 3 and 9 o'clock each....then another 6g. under the grip if you want to keep the balance. when I demoed it, I tried this, and it volleyed great, while retaining its excellent feel and maneuverability (which exceeds that of the rdx-500 and Diablo mid) I can't believe anyone would find it to be stiff....it is a very flexible racquet. Great for serving and topspin groundies, a little weak on the slices. My only problem with it was that I needed just a tad more power. The RDX-500, both mid and mp, is one of the most overhyped, overrated racquets I tried out of the many dozens that I demoed. An aforementioned comparison to a "wet noodle" I found to be a fitting analogy. I got my butt kicked all around the court against a heavy hitter with the RDX.

Not to be a you know what, but you're "only" a 4.0 which is the very bottom of the recommended skill rating for both rdxs...that could be your problem or it just wasnt meant to be, but I personally feel the rdx is the best racquet here and I have demoed almost every single type of racquet imaginable from almost every company.

Coria
12-21-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm a 5.0 player with a very good groundstroke game, hit pretty good topspin, a good slice and solid serves and volleys.

It sounds like there's too much to do to make the Diablo MP powerful and stable enough. Sounds like the RDX MP is the way to go.

What is better about the RDXMp than the LM Prestige MP?

Redflea
12-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Diablo MP: Found it fun to hit with, though very muted in terms of feedback, tended to launch balls w/it a bit

RDX MP: Didn't care for it at all...didn't feel solid, didn't give good feedback, almost immediate sense of "Ewww" which I didn't expect at all.

RDX Mid: Very solid feeling racquet w/great feedback & control, stable on off-center hits, able to generate plenty of spin when desired, especially love what it does for my slice backhand, my favorite racquet by far.

I would suggest that you'd give it a try...fits my all-court game very nicely.

james_R
12-22-2004, 12:17 AM
I think the simple answer here is to demo them all. I liked the RDX500MID more for feel and control than the MP, but the MP did have more power which I liked. I have'nt tried the others.
So give 'em all a go, whichever YOU feel most comfortable with is the best one.

BHud
12-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Coria...you can't jack serves with the RDX 500 MP like you can w/ a Prestige. I really liked the RDX 500 MP in every department except serves...opponents were all over it.

ferrari_827
12-22-2004, 09:08 AM
I mentioned a few times that serving with the RDX500 requires good mechanics, better mechanics than with some other player sticks. So it's great for some, but for others....well, not so good.

v1nx
12-22-2004, 01:11 PM
It's rating was consisted of different all around players(One-hand backhand,two hand,western,eastern). One person could love this such type of racquet and the other could hate it. But there seems to be so many positive that it just makes up for the negatives. So really there is no answer. Just a majority result. Pick the racquet that suits your game not others.