PDA

View Full Version : corretja has to qualify in miami. ridiculous

boris becker 1
03-22-2004, 08:57 AM
USTA give wild cards to people like Alex bogomolov and Brandan evans and Corretja a former grand slam finalist has to qualify its a bit absurd especially with the number of Catalna/spanish people living here who would go to watch him.

Vamos Alex

Vamos Barca

@wright
03-22-2004, 09:39 AM
It's true, but Corretja has really destroyed his name in the past few years. He was once at the top of the game and now it's a shame what has become of his career. Could it be the wife and kids?

edge
03-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Yeah, what happened to him? Well, he's such a retriever and the power game came on.

sseemiller
03-22-2004, 12:13 PM
I don't think it's ridiculous at all. When the Tour moves back to Europe, Alex is going to get wildcards, whereas Bogomolov and Evans won't have a chance to get wildcards there. Alex's results have been so poor lately, he hasn't shown he's entitled to a break in Miami. If he gets through qualifying, good for him. If not, it's nice that some American kids get an opportunity they wouldn't otherwise get.

Grimjack
03-22-2004, 02:15 PM
I can only speak as a fan, and the fans are who tournaments are catering to when they dole out WC's. (Since that's where the $ is.)

I'd much rather see any promising up-and-comer -- of whatever nationality -- than a guy like Corretja who we can say with a fair amount of certainty won't ever have the chance to seriously compete again. He had a good run, but the game has passed him by, for whatever reason. I'd rather spend my entertainment dollar to get a glimpse of the future than to watch a man who's been relegated to the past.

irishbanger
03-22-2004, 04:04 PM
I agree that its sad what has happened to Alex. I saw him practice with a guy that many of you have probably never heard of, Travis Parrott, and Parrott just ate his lunch.

Max G.
03-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I agree. There is no reason to give Corretja a wildcard.

It makes sense to give wildcards to young up-and-comers, to give them match practice and help them improve.

It makes sense to give wildcards to famous players that either are making comebacks or going through a bad streak, to help them come back.

It makes sense to give wildcards to the really big names that are struggling and arent expected to get better, just because they're so famous - the Michael Chang retirement-tour.

It makes no sense to give wildcards to have-beens that aren't really expected to do well anyway ever again. Maybe in Europe, where Corretja is more well-known and will draw crowds; but not here in the US. There's no point.

Phil
03-22-2004, 04:21 PM
What's the big deal? This is what happens to has-beens.

PhatAbbott
03-23-2004, 02:25 AM
Just to let you know, he failed to quilify. Lost in 3 sets...

pound cat
03-23-2004, 02:54 AM
Many tournamwents have deals with other countries to give their players wildcards. AO does, I think with the French, but not positive.

edge
03-23-2004, 05:16 AM
He use to be the head of the ATP players' union. What a cruel sport...at least in other sports you down have to pay for your own travel and lodging when you are trying to make it.

boris becker 1
03-23-2004, 05:30 AM
and they give Goran Ivansevic a wildcard. Hes a lot more finnished than alex is.

I hate how the USTA pressures tournament drectors with these things. Surely if you have reached or won Grand Slam finals you deserve a little bit of respect, especially if you were injured for much of 2003.

As for up and comers let them battle their way through challengers and satelites like everyone else has to.

I saw he lost. In qualifiers its a battle. everyone is just scraping by trying to keep their career alive. I tried it for 6 months ran out of money and then decided Id better be a teaching pro instead

@wright
03-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Goran is a wimbledon champion. Much better than French Finalist, don't you think?

edge
03-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Goran is also very popular and a big draw.