PDA

View Full Version : My Demo Review: LM Prestige Mid/MP, Radical MP/OS, Tour 90

tarheelbornjohn
03-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Just got thru with my weekend demo of these racquets and here it is. First off, I am a 4.0/4.5 player baseline 80% S/V 20% player with two handed backhand and big kick second serve. I have played with a HPS 6.1 Stretch for the past two years. Wanted something with higher/larger sweetspot.

Let's start with the Tour 90. I did not like it at all. However, the strings in the racquet were in poor shape, which may have been part of the problem. I will not go into details, just not right for me. Seemed cheep and made of outdated construction tech.

LM Radical OS: If Andre really uses this racquet I see why he uses Luxilon strings. With the Wilson NXT strings that came in the racquet it had way too much power. I had trouble keeping it off the fence. Tried it with 6 grams lead at each 2 and 10 o’clock and 4 grams at 5 and 7 o’clock (where the silver LM material is) for a total of 20 grams. Still too much power for me.

LM Radical MP: Just started with the same lead weighting as I used with the OS version. Much better. Nice feel and touch. Good for serve and volley as well as baseline. A little stiff feeling but good racket. I would say good racquet for 3.5-4.5 player with 3.5 playing as it comes factory weighted.

LM Prestige Mid: Started with the same lead weighting used on two other racquets. Even better than Radical MP. Not as stiff. Very good on ground strokes and nice serving racquet. I really liked this feel. Very smooth racquet, but small head left very little room for error. I am sure that after a few matches would be no issues except with some net shoots with little time to react.

LM Prestige MP: Same lead weighting used on other racquets. Now this is a racquet. I was blown away at this racquet. I did try this one initially without lead, did not like it like that. Too head light, made it feel and play like -11oz granny stick. After weighting it I found the ground strokes were outstanding in feel, power, and control. The vollies were crisp and good pace. Drop volleys were very controlled and lots of feel. Did not try too many drop shots, but I am sure they would have good feel. I was worried about serving power at first with the flex of this stick. First 3-4 serves felt very poor. However, I ended up playing 1 set of singles and 2 sets of doubles with it and after first game they were much better. If I used a full service motion they were very powerful with lots of control and kick on second serve. S/V was very good and when I had to hit half volley at service line it had good control. As you can see this was the most impressive racquet I demoed. I liked all of them except the tour 90 and the Radical OS (although I could see the Radical OS as a good racket for a 3.5 doubles player who wants a little more pop). I will be ordering the LM Prestige MP this afternoon.

wao
03-22-2004, 10:40 AM
tarheelbornjohn:
Good post and review. When I tried them I also felt the need to customize the mid +. Did you counter balance with any weight under the handle? The larger head size would be nice. As you have to be right on with the Mid and as of now it is my preference but I think I might try and customize the M+ before I make the move. I fould the Mid + a little unstable at the net and serves. The extra weight might help.
Wao

Jerry Seinfeld
03-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Outstanding review. Thank you for sharing your impressions. Much appreciated!

tarheelbornjohn
03-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Yes, I did find that before I added weight it was a little unstable, but I find that with any racquet below 12.5 oz. For me the extra weight always helps. I have never hit any racquet below 12.5 that did not feel that way. Once I get "my" racquet I will add four grams to the lower throat ( I like that better than in the handle. That should put it's overally weight with strings and vib damp at around 13.3 oz. I have never had trouble getting my racquet "ready" so the extra weight is not a problem. When I see a players racquet that is 8 points head light that just tells me they are planning for the user to add weight. Can't wait to get it with some ALU power in it to really see what it can do.

strife726
03-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Does the LM pres MID+ Have the dead upper loop that the I pres mid+ had? Whenever you hit a shot in the upper loop of the I pres, the ball would just come off the racket very week. I tried the LM rad and it much better in this department.

tarheelbornjohn
03-22-2004, 01:11 PM
I did not notice anything like that happening. I did over swing on a few service returns and they went in with big angles so if it did the correction seemed to work out. I have not used a head racquet since my old head tournament director from almost 20 years ago. I loved this racquet. Nice and flexible, good weight with just a little lead and large string bed.

strife726
03-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Thankyou for that info! Also, another quick question.....Were the LM rad and LM pres sweet sports around the same size?

tarheelbornjohn
03-23-2004, 05:15 AM
They felt pretty much the same. The biggest difference in feel was the flex of the racquet. I see that the stiffness index is very close, but the play felt much different. That would be for the LM Prestige MP and the LM Radical MP. THe Prestige mid had a smaller sweet spot simply because of the smaller head size of 93 sq in.

strife726
03-23-2004, 10:57 AM
That would be for the LM Prestige MP and the LM Radical MP.>>>

Yes, those are the ones i meant! Thankyou again for the info.

sanitarium
03-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Hey I was wondering, what do you think will be better for me
The LM Radical MP or LM Prestige MP

i'm a big hitter who can generate my own power, looking for control while still having some power.

Mostly baseline player.