PDA

View Full Version : The Super Spin Dropshot Alliance (elite group)

Rickson
02-12-2008, 08:53 AM
If you can hit dropshots that have so much spin that your opponents wind up swinging at air, this alliance is for you. You should be able to put super spin on your droppers with both the forehand and the backhand.

Mountain Ghost
02-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Perhaps you could clarify the mission statement for your “Super Spin Dropshot Alliance” so that players can better understand its proposed claim-to-fame qualifications.

The way a drop shot is most commonly used, the goal is for the ball to bounce twice before the opponent reaches it, which often results in the other player not swinging at all. Is this “swinging at air” you speak of due a special breed of “drop shot” that does not actually drop and bounce twice before the other player reaches it, but instead completely fakes the opponent out due to its tremendous spin? Are you advocating its use in serious competition over the traditional form, or is it mostly for showboating purposes?

Please forgive our inquiry, but recently there have been certain unnamed participants of these boards whose aspiration, it seems, is to flood the forum with as many new clubs as possible in a not-so-subtle attempt to demonstrate their creation-of-pointless-traffic supremacy.

Our firm belief is that the mission of the Tennis Tips & Instruction section of this awesome TW Talk Tennis platform is best served when requests for specific advice can easily be found among the numerous club-thread titles.

The Directory “Management”

MG

Gimmick
02-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Does it count if they miss right or left instead of short, because I've hit some sidespin drops that left the opponent laughing because it looked like the ball ran away from them after it bounced.

Rickson
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Perhaps you could clarify the mission statement for your “Super Spin Dropshot Alliance” so that players can better understand its proposed claim-to-fame qualifications.

You hit an inside out dropshot that has so much spin that if a righty were to hit a forehand dropshot to his right, the ball would zip way over to the opponent's left after the bounce, causing him to "swing at air". If you were to hit an IO bh (righty), the ball would skip to the opponent's right. That arrogant British lefty hit a drop volley like that.

spinny drop volley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjlClQi62Kc)

Ash_Smith
02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
I once hit a drop shot that span back over the net...only it was remarkable because I was actually trying to hit a smash at the time and topped it off top the frame which gave the ball s**t loads of backspin and it came back over the net.

I was about 10 at the time before anybody asks!!!

Am I in???

Rickson
02-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I once hit a drop shot that span back over the net...only it was remarkable because I was actually trying to hit a smash at the time and topped it off top the frame which gave the ball s**t loads of backspin and it came back over the net.

I was about 10 at the time before anybody asks!!!

Am I in???

I've recorded 3 such backspin shots and only 1 was intentional. Yes, an over and back counts as super backspin so you can be in, but in reality, I was referring to the spin on the side that throws opponents off balance.

Mountain Ghost
02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
I must say I have seen players use similar shots when they have an insurmountable lead, when they want to embarrass a much weaker player or as a theatrical moment to please the crowd.

I suppose more might qualify for membership if accidents are allowed as evidence of worthiness . . . as long as a good story is provided.

MG

Ash_Smith
02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh they're easy!!! Hitting a smash bounce-back takes elite talent ;-)

Rickson
02-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Does it count if they miss right or left instead of short, because I've hit some sidespin drops that left the opponent laughing because it looked like the ball ran away from them after it bounced.

The insane sideways bounce is actually what I mean and not short. A dropshot that dies is ok, but a dropshot that makes the opponent go off balance is a masterpiece.

Max Winther
02-12-2008, 02:04 PM
The insane sideways bounce is actually what I mean and not short. A dropshot that dies is ok, but a dropshot that makes the opponent go off balance is a masterpiece.

You know it's a good one when your opponent yells in agony when they are about to hit, and when they do miss, they either throw their racquet or swat the net, leaving you on the baseline smiling.

TokyopunK
02-12-2008, 02:12 PM
I once hit a drop shot that had so much undercut backspin that it didn't even bounce on the ground.... it just rolled back to the net........only it was remarkable because I was actually trying to hit a smash at the time and topped it off top the frame which gave the ball loads of backspin!

I was about 34 at the time before anybody asks!!!

Am I in???

racquet_jedi
02-12-2008, 02:18 PM
I once hit a drop shot that had so much undercut backspin that it didn't even bounce on the ground.... it just rolled back to the net........only it was remarkable because I was actually trying to hit a smash at the time and topped it off top the frame which gave the ball loads of backspin!

I was about 34 at the time before anybody asks!!!

Am I in???

No, but I think Tezuka-Buchou can join...:wink:

Rickson
02-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Playing with dead balls doesn't count so unless you can come up with an account of when you hit a legitimate super spin, you're on the outside looking in.

TokyopunK
02-12-2008, 02:45 PM

Darn you......... I like how Rickson thinks my shot is impossible....... little does he know of the Zero Shiki DROP SHOT!!!!!1

TokyopunK
02-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Here it is.... video -proof of my greatness..... watch the first few seconds and u will see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjOoyzqbAMA

sorry for the bad cartoony quality, my camera was messed up.

Rickson
02-12-2008, 02:56 PM

Cartoon characters are not allowed in this alliance.

quicken
02-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Ew I hate these kind of players booooooo

Rickson
02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
1-Rickson: causes opponents to flip over the net
2-Gimmick: makes his opponents laugh when they miss
3-Ash_Smith: "I once hit a drop shot that span back over the net"
4-Max Winther: his opponents yell in agony when he hits his droppers
5-TokyopunK: believes he is the real life Tezuka
6-racquet_jedi: Prince of Tennis fan

racquet_jedi
02-12-2008, 07:37 PM
I can hit a dropshot so that it bounces backwards and not give opponents any time do get it, is my membership still a-okay?

Or are you stuck on the swinging at air part?

Rickson
02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
I can hit a dropshot so that it bounces backwards and not give opponents any time do get it, is my membership still a-okay?

Or are you stuck on the swinging at air part?

Look up, I already put you down.

Rickson
02-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Ew I hate these kind of players booooooo
And this is what these kind of players live for; the jeers of defeat.

Rickson
02-13-2008, 07:51 AM
If your dropshot can make your opponent do this, you belong here. Now this is more of a short shot than a dropper, but the result was good for the one who hit the short shot, bad for the other guy.

a short shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojTgvxUQSUw)

Sentinel
02-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Rickson, my partner does this *all* the time, its a disgusting habit.
What's so difficult about it ?

OK, I'll try it tonight and see.

TokyopunK
02-13-2008, 01:53 PM
If your dropshot can make your opponent do this, you belong here. Now this is more of a short shot than a dropper, but the result was good for the one who hit the short shot, bad for the other guy.

a short shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojTgvxUQSUw)

Rickson HOW THE HECK did you find my video???

I am the dude at the near net who hits it crosscourt.

Are you stalking me??? Did you watch my lipsync videos??

Rickson
02-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Rickson HOW THE HECK did you find my video???

I am the dude at the near net who hits it crosscourt.

Are you stalking me??? Did you watch my lipsync videos??

Do this thread a favor and 5 star it please.

TokyopunK
02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Do this thread a favor and 5 star it please.

Ok....... did you 5 star my videos lol!?!

Rickson
02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Ok....... did you 5 star my videos lol!?!
Not yet, but I will in the future.

my_forehand
02-14-2008, 04:26 AM
Member number 7! Rated 5 stars :)

Roger Federer 95
02-14-2008, 05:20 AM
I can hit an awesome drop shot that does not spin sideways, but backwards, with backspin. Does that count?

Rickson
02-14-2008, 07:31 AM
Member number 7! Rated 5 stars :)

Thanks for telling me, biscuit. Now who is member #7?

TokyopunK
02-14-2008, 09:10 AM
So how did u find my videos.

Rickson
02-14-2008, 09:18 AM

You mean you're George?

TokyopunK
02-14-2008, 09:23 AM
You mean you're George?

George is one of my closest friends.... i already said i am the guy in the near court up at the net who hits it crosscourt.

I videotaped that and DJF8T is my youtube account.

Rickson
02-14-2008, 09:28 AM
George is one of my closest friends.... i already said i am the guy in the near court up at the net who hits it crosscourt.

I videotaped that and DJF8T is my youtube account.

In that case, you do look like a Japanese Nadal.

Rickson
02-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Tokyo, how in the world did you get boojay to juggle for you?

boojay juggling and singing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu2XTAv91X4)

TokyopunK
02-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Ummmm..... thats my brother......... he juggles.......... I don't like it but thats his little hobby so I respect him.

Why do you call him boojay???

Rickson
02-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Ummmm..... thats my brother......... he juggles.......... I don't like it but thats his little hobby so I respect him.

Why do you call him boojay???

I could have sworn it was boojay.

Hey iRad, what ethnicity are you? I just cannot tell.

I've got a webcam that I never use and I'm super bored right now. Check out my mad cropping skillz!!

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/959/facesofjayxi3.jpg

Rickson
02-14-2008, 10:05 AM

You know what would make your lip sync videos work even better? Instead of doing it all in one scene, you should take several scenes at different locations and put the music in later. It'll take some editing software, but the end result looks awesome.

TokyopunK
02-14-2008, 02:01 PM
You know what would make your lip sync videos work even better? Instead of doing it all in one scene, you should take several scenes at different locations and put the music in later. It'll take some editing software, but the end result looks awesome.

yah that guy kind of looks like my brother but hes way younger.....

Yeah that would improve them but the only problem is I use a ******** webcam and a desktop computer....... so my options for different scenery are limited.:cry:

SalParadise17
02-14-2008, 05:39 PM
You know you should really have to hit a god shot to be in this club. Drop shot that bounces back over the net because of all the backspin, crazy stuff.
(I can't do it, but I've seen it)

Sal

samprasbackhand
02-14-2008, 08:26 PM
I actually do this sometimes with a regular slice, where the ball spins so much after it bounces that people who can't read spin well completely whiff the ball, and I have to turn around so the other player can't see me laughing at them.

Uthree
02-14-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd like hit super spin dropshot a big match, when it really counts. I did hit a backspin high bh volley dropshot which came back over the net. On the Fh side so far its been far too tough.

Rickson
02-16-2008, 07:07 AM
7-Sentinel: likes his partner a lot
8-my_forehand: "Member number 7! Rated 5 stars" has trouble counting
9-Roger Federer 95: likes to spin the ball backwards
10-samprasbackhand: laughs at his opponents
11-Uthree: his favorite memory is of a ball that bounced back over the net

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
02-16-2008, 07:25 AM
All these groups, when are the memberships card going to be mailed out. I can't keep track. :)

RoddickAce
02-16-2008, 07:28 AM
After I spin such a dropshot, I usually approach the net. But sometimes people know this is coming, and they sprint to it and hits a hook shot that curls behind me. It's pretty cool having a match of who has better spins.

Rickson
02-16-2008, 08:36 AM
All these groups, when are the memberships card going to be mailed out. I can't keep track. :)

Well Meac, you can be part of it all. I only made 4 of these threads. 4 threads, 4 stars. Come and join us.

tennispro11
02-16-2008, 08:58 AM
God, TokyoPunk you are hilarious. Your vids are great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K70u_7f3ois&feature=user

T

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
02-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Well Meac, you can be part of it all. I only made 4 of these threads. 4 threads, 4 stars. Come and join us.

Of course, but I don't have the best drop shot, well on purpose, so will have to sit this one out. :)

Rickson
02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Well work on it, Meac!

TokyopunK
02-18-2008, 07:27 PM

T

Let's just say that ................. okay my skills in that video........ okay it was my first time playing after 6 months I was rusty!!!!

Rickson
02-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Let's just say that ................. okay my skills in that video........ okay it was my first time playing after 6 months I was rusty!!!!

Did you throw the racquet as a joke effect or was it genuine anger?

TokyopunK
02-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Did you throw the racquet as a joke effect or was it genuine anger?

I wouldn't call it genuine anger.....I would call it uncontrollable rage inherited from mother.

My racquet death count is so high it's disgusting...... I hate it.

mitsuki
02-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I've hit a drop shot off a serve that bounced back over. I also always use insane amounts of sidespin. Do, can i join?

Sentinel
02-19-2008, 03:41 AM
Hey rickson, I can't believe you gave a bogus dropshotter like me entry into your super-elite club :-) Now, pls help me earn it....

Today, when my oppo gave me weak replies on the service line, or even close to the net, rather than (I) give a topspin drive (BH), i decided to go high percentage and just tap or slice the ball in. i.e, A spinny dropshot.

On 2 occasions the ball flew out !!!
On another 2, it crossed the service line and dropped into opps lap, and ofcourse he just tapped the ball back and won the point.

Pls give me some advice ... basically the ball should not travel much.

btw, I am sorry for making fun of this club earlier, I now realize the dropshot is the toughest shot - I am in the exalted company of that Serbian schmuck who can't do it either - heh heh.

Sentinel
02-19-2008, 03:53 AM

T

Nadalguy was really funny in the vid. Is that Tokyopunk??

The Roddick impersonator was spot on :-)

TokyopunK
02-19-2008, 04:31 AM
Nadalguy was really funny in the vid. Is that Tokyopunk??

The Roddick impersonator was spot on :-)

Yes i am nadal guy........

Roddick guy is my friend....... he actually thinks he is roddick..... i dont know who is worse.

Sentinel
02-19-2008, 05:42 AM

Roddick guy is my friend....... he actually thinks he is roddick..... i dont know who is worse.
Sounds like a terrible affliction !
Oh btw, you forgot to poke your butt in the impression. And did you not break your poor racquet ?

Rickson
02-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Hey rickson, I can't believe you gave a bogus dropshotter like me entry into your super-elite club :-) Now, pls help me earn it....

Pls give me some advice ... basically the ball should not travel much.
[COLOR=Red]

The super spin dropper works best when it's done inside out so if you're on the forehand side and a righty, you' hit to the ad side and vice versa with the backhand. Taps don't work so well because they're just soft shots and lack spin. Use a continental on both sides and while the contact is at the front of the ball, really cut underneath it. The spin will be a combination of back and sidespin, and will cause all kinds of problems for your opponent.

lefty dropshot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScZzioR-xUw&feature=related)

my_forehand
02-19-2008, 05:18 PM

You're too cool for Nadal ;)

my_forehand
02-19-2008, 05:22 PM

T

Errm...The title at the beginning of the video says Rafa vs. Nadal lol.

Sentinel
02-19-2008, 08:16 PM
I beat my pardner today but he still owned me with his super spin drop shots. Finally I told him I would take him to the backstreet and settle the score with him there, LOL.
I mean honestly, do you EVER see anyone at a grand slam or even a Challenger or Futures do that kind of thing !!! UGH !!!

tokyopunk, I don't recall Nadal smashing his rack like you do. But this is a better habit (from the viewers perspective) that what he does between each point :-D

Rickson
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm gonna update the members list soon.

Rickson
02-25-2008, 09:54 PM
12-MEAC_ALLAMERICAN: honorary member
13-RoddickAce: uses the dropshot as an approach
14-tennispro11: thinks the tokyo punk is hilarious
15-mitsuki: uses insane amounts of spin

TravelinMan
02-26-2008, 07:12 AM
I don't hit a FH slice but the BH slice is my predominate shot, like 98%. As a lefty I also like to put considerable side spin on shots especially approaches. The ball does not have much pace but will kick about 2 feet to my opponents left when it bounces. If they have never played a lefty before, its fun to watch the reaction. I also like to drop shot the service return. No one seems to do this but I find it very effective and it seems to really please my opponents :). Lastly, lets not forget the heavy slice passing shot. Again not much pace but the ball will shoot straight down into the net off an opponents racquet if they are not accustomed to the spin.

Rickson
02-26-2008, 07:15 AM
I don't hit a FH slice but the BH slice is my predominate shot, like 98%. As a lefty I also like to put considerable side spin on shots especially approaches. The ball does not have much pace but will kick about 2 feet to my opponents left when it bounces.

Your inside out backhand slice is very similar to my forehand slice, also inside out. Crosscourt dropshots don't get that wicked spin that inside out droppers get.

Djokovicfan4life
02-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Great drop-shots Rickson.

You've got a sweet backhand as well, what level are you? :)

Rickson
02-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Great drop-shots Rickson.

You've got a sweet backhand as well, what level are you? :)

Thanks, but you've never seen them.

Djokovicfan4life
02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
I saw your clips.

Rickson
02-26-2008, 11:35 AM
I saw your clips.

I don't have any clips, my friend.

Rickson
03-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Update coming soon!

Sentinel
03-04-2008, 09:29 PM
*sulk*
my spinny dropshots are still landing deep, although one did spin like hell and my pardner missed it altogether, but the rest are easy picks. :-(

03-05-2008, 12:29 AM
I made the ball bounce back from my opponent's side to mine once, that was pure coincidence (and from what I know, he scored the point).
I tend to hit slices that bounce towards the opponent's face, catching him off-guard and by surprise. I love this type of slice, as well as the look on their faces :D
Recently I was able to land dead drop shots, which appears to be flat but barely bounce back. Still trying to improve its consistency, though.

Rickson
03-05-2008, 05:51 AM
*sulk*
my spinny dropshots are still landing deep, although one did spin like hell and my pardner missed it altogether, but the rest are easy picks. :-(

If your spin shot lands deep, it's a squash shot, but you can use it as an approach and follow it into net.

Rickson
03-05-2008, 05:54 AM
I made the ball bounce back from my opponent's side to mine once, that was pure coincidence (and from what I know, he scored the point).

That was your point unless your opponent got his racquet on the ball. I live for over and back shots! So far, I've had 2 intentional and 3 accidental ones, but the accidental ones weren't truly accidents as I did intentionally put backspin on the balls. The accident was that the balls bounced so high.

03-06-2008, 05:27 AM
Really? Cool, luckily it was not a competition or anything. What happens if you hit something off-court (such as the umpire chair), ball bounces to the opponent's side, and he can't hit it back? Is it still considered a point?

Sentinel
03-06-2008, 05:31 AM
If your spin shot lands deep, it's a squash shot, but you can use it as an approach and follow it into net.
It was a backhand slice not fh.

Rickson
03-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Really? Cool, luckily it was not a competition or anything. What happens if you hit something off-court (such as the umpire chair), ball bounces to the opponent's side, and he can't hit it back? Is it still considered a point?

Not the chair, but you can hit the net post and it would still be legal.

KIBBLLES
03-06-2008, 06:53 PM
super spin, i love pullting that on my friends when they think i am going to slam it. when i a side spin intentionally, the point is pretty much mine. can i join?

Rickson
03-07-2008, 04:12 PM
16-TravelinMan: can kick the ball 2 feet to his opponent's left
17-Djokovicfan4life: saw clips of Bantlord and thought it was me
18-843: gives points away to his opponents
19-KIBBLLES: fools his friends with his sidespin

BreakPtSi
03-07-2008, 06:03 PM
had him wiffing a backhand while my ball was already over to his forehand side

Sentinel
03-07-2008, 08:54 PM
had him wiffing a backhand while my ball was already over to his forehand side
haha ! one day I am gonna be there ... soooon !

btw, Yesterday I heard a remark during the Dubai match. Some oldie (can;t recall name) said that if your oppo is hitting dropshots that means he is tired.

my_forehand
03-07-2008, 08:55 PM
haha ! one day I am gonna be there ... soooon !

btw, Yesterday I heard a remark during the Dubai match. Some oldie (can't recall name) said that if your oppo is hitting dropshots that means he is tired.

Sometimes, but it's not always neccesarily true.

Rickson
03-10-2008, 10:17 AM
All my insane spin droppers are intentional. The ignorant commentator must have been referring to short shots that happen due to fatigue and if he really was talking about droppers, he is truly a moron.

Sentinel
03-10-2008, 10:20 AM
All my insane spin droppers are intentional. The ignorant commentator must have been referring to short shots that happen due to fatigue and if he really was talking about droppers, he is truly a moron.
The commentator (David Mercer, i think) was quoting some old player -- one of the greats -- can't remember which one. Will try looking it up.

03-10-2008, 10:29 AM
It turns out I'm not actually giving points to my opponent :P
The ball is considered legal when it bounces back due to spin effect.

Rickson
03-10-2008, 10:34 AM

I told you that was your point and not his.

Djokovicfan4life
03-10-2008, 11:32 AM

That happened to me the other day. My brother tried to rush the net on me and I hit a nice spinny forehand right at his feet. He somehow half volleyed it almost straight up in the air with backspin and the ball bounced just a couple inches over the net and back over. To make matters worse, he was playing against the wind so the ball landed about 4 or 5 feet over his side.

That's life I guess.

Rickson
03-10-2008, 11:35 AM
That happened to me the other day. My brother tried to rush the net on me and I hit a nice spinny forehand right at his feet. He somehow half volleyed it almost straight up in the air with backspin and the ball bounced just a couple inches over the net and back over. To make matters worse, he was playing against the wind so the ball landed about 4 or 5 feet over his side.

That's life I guess.

So you're Marko! We have a clip of that incident when you were playing your brother, Novak.

Novak punks Marko (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yeXnC-RHDE)

Djokovicfan4life
03-10-2008, 11:38 AM
So you're Marko! We have a clip of that incident when you were playing your brother, Novak.

Novak punks Marko (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yeXnC-RHDE)

Yeah, after that point I became his fan 4 life!

OK, that was really lame. :oops:

Rickson
03-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah, after that point I became his fan 4 life!

OK, that was really lame. :oops:

Yeah, you'd better work on your material, Marko.

Rickson
03-20-2008, 09:33 AM
20-BreakPtSi: his spin causes his opponents to swing the wrong way

ultima972
03-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Insane spin with unpredictable bounces that confuse everyone on the court that day.

Rickson
03-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I see Titties McJiggles never joined this alliance. You can't hit a dropshot, Boba?

Djokovicfan4life
03-21-2008, 06:46 PM
I see Titties McJiggles never joined this alliance. You can't hit a dropshot, Boba?

He and me both! :(

Wow, 2 nicknames in 1 post? This is kind of getting out of hand (in a good way). ;)

my_forehand
03-22-2008, 04:31 AM
20-BreakPtSi: his spin causes his opponents to swing the wrong way

He and me both! :(

Noobs.

I own in dropshots, but not with spin ;). So, I want out.

Rickson: Member number 1! Rated every single one of his threads 5 stars! Has trouble reading ;)

Wow, 2 nicknames in 1 post? This is kind of getting out of hand (in a good way).

...Yeah, okay.

Rickson
03-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Wait a second. You clearly said you weren't Titties McJiggles and now you're claiming to be him? M_F, which is it?

my_forehand
03-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Wait a second. You clearly said you weren't Titties McJiggles and now you're claiming to be him? M_F, which is it?

You said Boba...

Djokovicfan4life
03-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Why am I in this club again? :confused:

I've stated many times that my droppers stink, although I'm sure with a little practice I would be more than capable.

Rickson
03-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Why am I in this club again? :confused:

I've stated many times that my droppers stink, although I'm sure with a little practice I would be more than capable.

You're in this alliance because you help represent our good name.

Djokovicfan4life
03-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Will do, I'll start working on my droppers.

Sorry, "super-spin" droppers, that is.

Djokovicfan4life
03-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Just found a SICK dropper on Youtube, no super-spin though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpE-4vAE9Yw

my_forehand
03-24-2008, 02:28 AM

I said, I can hit good droppers - at times - but I don't do it with spin. So, that makes me ineligible.

BreakPtSi
03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
I said it on youtube too, but that looks like a classic badminton trick shot.

Rickson
04-01-2008, 06:36 PM
I said, I can hit good droppers - at times - but I don't do it with spin. So, that makes me ineligible.

You can be dropped from the dropshot alliance if you like.

Fay
04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
This is a shot I am going to practice so I can join too. :-)

Would anyone recommend an exercise I can practice using the wall to improve my drop shot. Obviously I can't feed myself balls with pace without a wall or ball machine. Can use ball machine on occasion. ThnX

Rickson
04-09-2008, 03:23 PM
This is a shot I am going to practice so I can join too. :-)

Would anyone recommend an exercise I can practice using the wall to improve my drop shot. Obviously I can't feed myself balls with pace without a wall or ball machine. Can use ball machine on occasion. ThnX

My first droppers were from the backhand. Take a continental grip and with a slightly open face, hit that dropshot going inside out and just past the net. Your opponent will have only a slim chance of getting back that shot. Make sure you're inside the baseline when you dropshot and don't try to dropshot balls that come at you with heavy pace.

Fay
04-09-2008, 03:34 PM
My first droppers were from the backhand. Take a continental grip and with a slightly open face, hit that dropshot going inside out and just past the net. Your opponent will have only a slim chance of getting back that shot. Make sure you're inside the baseline when you dropshot and don't try to dropshot balls that come at you with heavy pace.

Thanks so much !!!!

Rickson
04-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Anytime, Fay, anytime.

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Soften your grip when you go to hit a dropshot, Fay. If you're at all like me you're used to hitting driving slices only.

I see you're only interested in joining elite groups, we are a lot alike. :)

P.S. Thanks for reviving this thread, it's been kinda dead for some time.

TennisProdigy
04-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I love hitting a one handed backhand drop shot.

Best drop shot ever was when I was playing and the wind was gusting at about 20 mph towards my face at that time and I received a short ball around the service line that was pretty high so I just whipped as much backspin as I could on that baby and sent it to his court clearing the net by about 4 feet, it landed about 6 feet on his side and it exploded backwards coming back to my side of the court before bouncing twice on his.

Fay
04-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Soften your grip when you go to hit a dropshot, Fay. If you're at all like me you're used to hitting driving slices only.

I see you're only interested in joining elite groups, we are a lot alike. :)

P.S. Thanks for reviving this thread, it's been kinda dead for some time.

I was so excited after reading this thread I had my hubby (I was supposed to be done for today, light day in my training plan, played in 34 degrees while snowing this morning) that I had to go out and try some drop shots. My hubby fed me some balls from the T and from the baseline without much pace, and I was around the T to 3/4 back from the net.

I did manage to hit one shot where he fanned the air, LOL, and another that jumped back he couldn't reach, but that was out of working on it for about 50 minutes. It really is a TOUCH shot. and tough!

I like to feel more aggressive with shots (preferring a swing volley to a traditional volley, but I have been working hard on my volleys) -- rather than have to control them, so it was hard for me to soften to the right amount.

I either had them spinning short of the net, flying off the side of the court, or the worst, bouncing too high. At first they went like "long slice drives" and I guessed my grip might be too tight. I tried holding it loose and couldn't find the right amount, so I finally tried holding the racquet with thumb and 2 fingers instead of 4. I have small hands so I couldn't over hit so much that way.

I tried scouping under the ball, an ax shop at 45 degrees, and some combination of that. The two I got were sheer accident and I'll have to keep practicing til I get the feel of it.

My hubby's best shot is his drop shot (not a compliment I'm sorry to say) and he can take a long chop at it and get it to jump back to the net or die in his sleep. But if he sets one up and I get ready to hit a FH, I noticed he steps back. He got a small taste of his medicine.... but this is a very difficult shot to play. It was no big deal to do this in practice with him feeding me a ball instead of trying to beat me, but will be a lot of practice before I can successfully play one in a tournament under pressure. With wind. It was very windy today and that should have helped back the ball to the net, but I am not able to get enough spin on the ball yet.

Last summer I played some mixed social doubles and there was an older man there who could hit a BH drop shot from just about anywhere on the court. Since we were playing on clay they tended to die ... but I noticed that he hit a lot of his FHs into the net. I find controlling the ball easier with my FH than BH on any shot. So I need to work on all of my BH shots, drop included. I tried hitting the BH drop shot inside out and I need more work on that.

Thanks for the suggestions !

Rickson
04-09-2008, 09:25 PM
I said I started off with backhand droppers, but now my forehand dropshots are better than my backhand drops. I almost always go inside out and I my swing is aggressive. The superspin dropper is not necessarily a touch shot, it can be a hard swung shot as well. The backspin and cutting under the ball keep the ball short and it usually spins to the opponent's left, causing him to mishit or miss altogether.

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2008, 03:09 AM
This probably won't help much, Fay, but I found a nice video of Djokovic doing what he does best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOMOBH9ZKfo&feature=related

Fay
04-10-2008, 08:42 AM
This probably won't help much, Fay, but I found a nice video of Djokovic doing what he does best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOMOBH9ZKfo&feature=related

That really gave me a great view of excellent form and how much force he uses! Thanks!

back at ya with a couple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScZzioR-xUw&NR=1

albeit this doesn't have spin, it does drive back
the receiver expecting the OH smash threat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpE-4vAE9Yw
because of the poor quality I first saw the details on
the slower repeat toward the end ...

Djokovicfan4life
04-10-2008, 08:45 AM
First dropper was nice, but I already beat you to the second one (post #101). :twisted:

Rickson
04-11-2008, 06:43 AM
First dropper was nice, but I already beat you to the second one (post #101). :twisted:

I think he'd have been better off smashing it.

Djokovicfan4life
04-11-2008, 07:43 AM

Still makes your opponent look FOOLISH! :twisted:

Rickson
04-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Still makes your opponent look FOOLISH! :twisted:

Well he didn't look too good by using 2 motions.

Fay
04-11-2008, 09:27 AM
:-DI got the idea of having the ball bounce 5 times before the service line when I went to a clinic on clay in Sedona last Fall taught by a woman from Australia. I found that same concept on this video I reviewed today:

http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/2007/12/dropshot_progression.html

I am curious, as I don't have the experience with touch shots as yet, how you all that have *great* drop shots, particularly the ones that jump back to the net, feel about learning a drop shot in this matter.

Or, does it have another FEEL entirely for you. ThnX

Rickson
04-11-2008, 09:35 AM
My droppers not only don't make it to 5 bounces, they travel to the left and not toward the service line.

Fay
04-11-2008, 01:44 PM
My droppers not only don't make it to 5 bounces, they travel to the left and not toward the service line.

That sounds much more offensive :-)

Would you tell a little about how you developed those? ThnX

Fay
04-11-2008, 05:16 PM

I am a tad embarrassed to say that I showed my hubby that clip and the next time we went out to practice he pulled in on me. I was so shocked.
Fooled once ...... ;-)

Has anyone gone to the next on a OH smash to block the ball? I was lured into moved back expecting a smash ... now I don't know whether someone is going to do a drop shot or a smash. LOL I supposed one just has to watch very carefully and be prepared for anything.

Djokovicfan4life
04-11-2008, 05:47 PM
I am a tad embarrassed to say that I showed my hubby that clip and the next time we went out to practice he pulled in on me. I was so shocked.
Fooled once ...... ;-)

Has anyone gone to the next on a OH smash to block the ball? I was lured into moved back expecting a smash ... now I don't know whether someone is going to do a drop shot or a smash. LOL I supposed one just has to watch very carefully and be prepared for anything.

If your husband gets an overhead THAT close to the net, chances are a smash will basically win the point (unless he's a TOTAL weakling), so just wait for the dropper.

Fay
04-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks ! I cannot tell you the number of times I have seen people hit an OH, that could have been just a ball directed at a sharp angle, to end up hitting into the net ... but I was moving andleaning back to try to return the OH smash, which at my level is possible, but not at the pros normally, of course.

There was no way I could get to the net as I was moving backwards fast and it landed just a foot or so over the net and died. He might not be able to duplicate that shot for a million bucks, but we both got a good laugh out of it.

My hubby can hit great drop shots and chop and dice shots, but I can serve and hit deep FH and BH better than he can. He plays for fun and I play to get better and have fun. He is not having a huge amount of fun losing.

Since I tend to stay back except for short balls he does get me on this slice and dice. As I get more experice I hope to recognize a *really* short ball more quickly. I can move pretty fast, but I just get started too late sometimes. I am learning to hear the 'hiss' instead of watching the ball and racquet at the same time. But of course a good tennis player can watch both.

Rickson
04-11-2008, 11:09 PM
That sounds much more offensive :-)

Would you tell a little about how you developed those? ThnX

I'm guilty of being a victim first so I decided to try the inside out forehand dropper on others. At first, the ball didn't take a wicked spin to my right (opponent's left), but the more I did it, the better I got at putting sidespin on the ball. Now my forehand droppers are better than my backhand droppers and the spin I sometimes get is insane. I hit with a slightly open face and I get a good cut underneath the ball. The spin doesn't work as well when you go crosscourt so I go inside out all the time. The biggest difference is in the followthrough: with a regular forehand, you'd follow through with your racquet pronating, but when you do the spinny dropshot, your followthrough supinates and your racquet face ends up toward the sky instead of facing the net. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Sentinel
04-12-2008, 10:35 PM
http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/2007/12/dropshot_progression.html

aaah. now I get why my dropshots go so deep, putting me into deep trouble. Thanks for this clip.

Rickson
04-22-2008, 10:27 AM
I spent a lot of money at TW, but not anymore. Disrespect my threads and you lose my business along with all my friends' business. Pride before the fall, thread mover. Your pride, your company's loss of money.

tennisplayer1981
04-22-2008, 10:35 AM
I spent a lot of money at TW, but not anymore. Disrespect my threads and you lose my business along with all my friends' business. Pride before the fall, thread mover. Your pride, your company's loss of money.

Wow I can't believe they are doing such a thing. Rickson, I support you man.

Rickson
04-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Wow I can't believe they are doing such a thing. Rickson, I support you man.

Thanks, bro. They're singling out my threads so I'm gonna make some changes. I won't be posting for a while and I'm not buying anything from TW. That's a good couple of thousand bucks a year when it's divided up among my friends and me. If they want our business, they'll leave my threads alone, but as long as they keep moving threads spitefully, no money goes to the kitty. Poor business practice, my friends at TW, poor business practice.

Trainer
04-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks, bro. They're singling out my threads so I'm gonna make some changes. I won't be posting for a while and I'm not buying anything from TW. That's a good couple of thousand bucks a year when it's divided up among my friends and me. If they want our business, they'll leave my threads alone, but as long as they keep moving threads spitefully, no money goes to the kitty. Poor business practice, my friends at TW, poor business practice.

I'm with TW, your threads are lame.

tfm1973
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
meh. if they're gonna move these silly "raise your hand if you have a backhand" threads - they should move ALL OF THEM over to odds and ends. tips and instruction should be that -- tips and instruction.

Rickson
04-22-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm with TW, your threads are lame.

Coming from the guy who never spent a dime here.

Trainer
04-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Coming from the guy who never spent a dime here.

You like to say things you have no clue about don't you?

Rickson
04-22-2008, 11:42 AM
You like to say things you have no clue about don't you?

What did you buy, big spender?

daddy
04-22-2008, 11:45 AM

Looks to me that you did not spend enough by their standards. Buy something else and see if the thread goes back.

Trainer
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM

You can't be serious....a pising match about who buys the most from TW???

:rolleyes:

Dedans Penthouse
04-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Trainer, whether you think his posts are lame or whatever, the point is, the guy's threads---NOT HAVING BROKEN ANY "RULES"---have apparently been tampered with. Why? The guy (Rickson) plays by the rules and yet some 'Wizzard-of-Oz' is taking it upon himself to start fiddling around behind the curtain with Rickson's harmless threads? What's that about?

On the face of it, imho Rickson has every right to ask what the hell is going on. And frankly, what other recourse does he have other than to say that he's taking his 'green-$-football' elsewhere? ....not that it would matter to "the Wizzard" .... whomever that might be. :neutral: Fair is fair, no?

Trainer
04-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Trainer, whether you think his posts are lame or whatever, the point is, the guy's threads---NOT HAVING BROKEN ANY "RULES"---have apparently been tampered with. Why? The guy (Rickson) plays by the rules and yet some 'Wizzard-of-Oz' is taking it upon himself to start fiddling around behind the curtain with Rickson's harmless threads? What's that about?

On the face of it, imho Rickson has every right to ask what the hell is going on. And frankly, what other recourse does he have other than to say that he's taking his 'green-$-football' elsewhere? ....not that it would matter to "the Wizzard" .... whomever that might be. :neutral: Fair is fair, no?

Yea, ok, but how could I pass the opportunity to kick a man when he's down? Especially one who says I'm burning in hell for eternity...

Rickson
04-23-2008, 02:25 AM
I'm a forgiving person and I'd actually like to purchase from TW sometime in the future as they have quality items, but not at this time for obvious reasons. As long as they leave my threads and posts alone from this point on, I won't send a group text to my friends who purchase from TW. It's ironic that I'm the one who sent them to TW for tennis goods, but like I said, I'm a forgiving person. I don't know what possessed the person who moved my threads, but I sincerely hope that madness has ended.

my_forehand
04-23-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm a forgiving person and I'd actually like to purchase from TW sometime in the future as they have quality items, but not at this time for obvious reasons. As long as they leave my threads and posts alone from this point on, I won't send a group text to my friends who purchase from TW. It's ironic that I'm the one who sent them to TW for tennis goods, but like I said, I'm a forgiving person. I don't know what possessed the person who moved my threads, but I sincerely hope that madness has ended.

Hey bro, at least the SWG thread is in there! :D Maybe they moved it 'cause of all this talk of ratings, nicknames. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Rickson
04-23-2008, 02:37 AM
Hey bro, at least the SWG thread is in there! :D Maybe they moved it 'cause of all this talk of ratings, nicknames. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Believe it or not, it wasn't even you. Anyway, I don't see the sw thread being moved because although it holds a lot less prestige than the society thread, it's something the tips posters need for forehand improvements.

Rickson
04-23-2008, 03:09 AM
On the face of it, imho Rickson has every right to ask what the hell is going on. And frankly, what other recourse does he have other than to say that he's taking his 'green-$-football' elsewhere?

Thanks for the good words, Dedans. I'm not sure what that person moving threads was thinking, but I think he's over it now. If not, my friends and I will definitely take our green $ footballs elsewhere.

Trainer
04-23-2008, 04:47 AM
And frankly, what other recourse does he have other than to say that he's taking his 'green-$-football' elsewhere?

I know, he could quit posting....

my_forehand
04-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Believe it or not, it wasn't even you. Anyway, I don't see the sw thread being moved because although it holds a lot less prestige than the society thread, it's something the tips posters need for forehand improvements.

I said in the society, stop posting that stuff or the pages will look like:

Poster A: Can I join? Rated 5 stars!

Poster B: Yeah, we deserve better!

Rickson: Sure, you can join, you'll even get a custom comment!

Poster A: Oh cool! Where's the list?

Rickson: Wait for the next update!

Anyways, at least we DF4L, where we can hopefully discuss backhand! :D

I understand your frustration though, you're fav. (is it?) thread being deleted, when you didn't break any rules - it shouldn't have been deleted: just moved, at worst. Truthfully, I liked that thread :D

What you do with your cash is completely up to you, although I don't quite understand how cash spent in TW relates to threads being moved :-?

tfm1973
04-23-2008, 05:28 AM
i guess it's POSSIBLE that the gods that be at TW moved Rickson's threads out of spite. but it seems more likely they moved them because they were in the wrong section. get over it.

spending or not spending money on a free forum provided by TW doesn't entitle you to more or less privileges. and i hate people who THREATEN to leave if they aren't catered to. don't threaten. just do it. threatening is being a whiny punk. actually leaving tells people, "hey my principals are greater than a free forum and great prices on tennis gear".

TW did you dirty Rickson. if you're truly unhappy. take you and your friends couple thousand dollars of annual tennis money to another site. and best of all you keep your pride and dignity and honor and self respect. we'll miss you.

Rickson
04-23-2008, 08:37 AM
I understand your frustration though, you're fav. (is it?) thread being deleted, when you didn't break any rules - it shouldn't have been deleted: just moved, at worst. Truthfully, I liked that thread :D

I asked for the thread to be deleted once it was moved. The problem wasn't with the deletion, it was the move itself.

What you do with your cash is completely up to you, although I don't quite understand how cash spent in TW relates to threads being moved :-?

The thread mover started getting carried away with the moves, but enough is enough! We don't live in a marxist society. If I hadn't spoken up, these moves could have gone on indefinitely. There are consequences to spiteful actions and loss of business would have been the major one here. There were 200 members in the Society: if every one of them accounts for $2000 a year like I do, that would be 400 grand a year TW could potentially lose. Will it happen? Probably not, but when it comes to business, you always need to be cautious with your customers, especially the big spenders like me. I'm not asking for special treatment, I'm asking for fair treatment. There's a big difference there. Someone decided to target me and only me because if it weren't the case, you'd see a whole lot of threads being moved. Do you understand now, m-f?

Fay
04-25-2008, 04:30 PM
I did it !!!

I was playing a match today and my drop shot jumped back to the net and my opponent swung at the air! That was just too much fun.

This was not a USTA rated match ... does that count for full membership yet? :-)

I am happy to wait til I do it in a tournament....I have been practicing my drop shot every day ever since I joined this alliance !

Fay
04-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Anyone here ?

Fay
04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
I've developed a decent dropper myself over the last few weeks, no super spin though. :(

More backspin than sidespin, really.

I got my coach with one that jumped sideways today during my lesson, but granted he doesn't hit at me as hard as he can all of the time .... got lucky.

But it was so much FUN ! :-)

TokyopunK
05-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Trick shot #2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng2VtR3kJ6k

Now I am a true member of the club!!!!