PDA

View Full Version : st vincent

tandayu
12-21-2004, 08:44 PM
TNT, I understand if you have different view on this, but you never hit with St Vincent before.

Try it, maybe you like it just like all many people I have met at public parks, college competition, USTA league, etc. That is how it started for me. Not everybody can use it, I can't utilize it to its full potential due to limitation of my skill. But it has helped me improved my game, and I am sure there is also other good rackets. The racket has no compromise, but it rewards ones correct stroke.

$700 is hard to imagine, but I know many people who are looking for this racket including myself. I offerred many people to buy their rackets, and they all choose to keep it. This is not the only racket I like, but definitely one of it.

SocalTennis
12-21-2004, 08:58 PM
do St. Vincent available in 95? how can you tell if it's a St. Vincent?

Swan Song
12-21-2004, 09:29 PM
The 95 in2. version came out three or four years after the St. Vincent factory closed down in 1991.

The way you can tell, by the words of many people, is:

1. It has a mercury oxide-ish red primer underneath the black paint.

2. The three letter batch code on the butt-cap ends with "Q".

3. It is an 18mm. frame.

That is all I know, and there are more things to it, and I cannot tell you.

TNT
12-22-2004, 09:56 AM
I wonder how much of this fascination with this racquet is due to the fact that the GREAT PETE SAMPRAS played with it. I wonder that if this racquet is supposed to give one better strokes and as a result make you a better player why don't more pro players make use of it. To date the only player who plays with a racquet which remotely resembles the St. Vincent is Federer. And even the ones who got to play with this repainted pro staff 85 say it feels like a china ps 85 with no bells and whistles.

tandayu
12-22-2004, 05:06 PM
TNT,

Here is several things if I remember correctly:
- Back in 1984 (or around that time), I saw Jimmy Connors on TV played in a tournament using an all black prototype racket, which what to be the pro staff. Jimbo has been playing with his T2000 for ever prior to that.
- Chris Evert, Jim Courier, Edberg all used this racket plus others who I do not remember
- Most of players prior to that time were switching to Prince Pro, Woodie, Graphite, which believed to improved their game and ranking at that time. Chris Lewis went to Wimbledon Final with POG.
- Then in 1984, pro staff came out in 85 sq. inch, and they choosed Pro staff over POG, etc.
Of course, you might say that they play with what ever the company pays them....

PrestigeClassic
12-22-2004, 05:24 PM
a.) The St. Vincent is not made anymore; b.) it would be hard to give a racket a paintjob of the Tour 90 if the racket simply is not there; c.) Federer played with the China 6.0 85 because that was what he was used to, what he grew up with; d.) TW stated that particular paintjob stick you talk of is a Tour 90 paintjob of the China 6.0 85, so of course it's going to actually feel like the China 6.0 85, which is what it is; e.) Federer never played that paintjob. By the time the Tour 90 rolled out, he was playing the Tour 90.

More pro players these days would have made use of either the St. Vincent or the 6.0 85 if their foresight was 20/20. Unfortunately, it is only hindsight that is 20/20.

Everybody knows the 6.0 85 is quite old these days. So you can't have just any kind of baseline game and get away playing it. Courier did his best, but even in the 1990's, I think Courier would have been better off with a Pro Staff Classic 95 or something similar. Think Andy Roddick. Anyway, if you saw more serve-and-volleyers, you would see more 6.0 85's. Otherwise, if all you're going to be hitting are groundstrokes and service returns, there are hundreds of other, better-suited rackets to play. Also, do you think Wilson is pushing the 6.0 85 on future ATP Tour hopefuls, 90 percent of which are going to soon peak during junior and college tennis? No.

gmlasam
12-25-2004, 05:39 AM
The 95 in2. version came out three or four years after the St. Vincent factory closed down in 1991.

The way you can tell, by the words of many people, is:

1. It has a mercury oxide-ish red primer underneath the black paint.

2. The three letter batch code on the butt-cap ends with "Q".

3. It is an 18mm. frame.

That is all I know, and there are more things to it, and I cannot tell you.

I agree, but option 2 is not an accurate way to determine a st vincent as butt caps can easily be removed and altered to look like a st vincent model.

The most accurate would be option 1 IMHO.

Ronaldo
12-25-2004, 06:35 AM
Why not buy a Kramer Staff which were St. Vincent's and save at least $650.

Swan Song
12-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Yes, I would agree that the second opinion I posted on identifying a St. Vincent racquet is not accurate.