PDA

View Full Version : Its all about the O...

netman
12-22-2004, 05:24 AM
Just saw the latest Prince teaser ads in Tennis mag. Looks like they are trying another tack on the grommetless concept and its a strange one with giant holes in the head. Have any of the local Prince experts seen one of these new frames? If so, what's the party line?

thomas martinez
12-22-2004, 06:18 AM
THey're a pain in the rear to string and then some. You have to lock the turntable each pull even on mains like you did with the rollers. It does feature powerlock construction and basically it's the aerodynamics of the thing, it moves through the air faster so you can use a heavier frame without a problem. I don't believe a word of them. But I'm just a cynic, especially with what Prince has foisted upon us recently

mary fierce
12-22-2004, 07:42 AM
The principle of Nautilus exercise equipment, with the variable ration cam, is that it's harder to get something moving from rest than to keep it moving once it starts. Ergo the flaw in Prince's reasoning. A heavy racquet is more difficult to INITIATE movement with than to keep moving through the swing; at the start of the swing, aerodynamics have no significant role.

netman
12-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Thanks Thomas. I'm with you on the cynical side. Thats really reaching for incremental improvements if they are going after aerodynamics on a 12 oz. racquet. :) Funny you mentioned Rollers. That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the ad.

I was guessing they were taking weight out of the head, kind of like drilling brake rotors to lessen weight without compromising strength. Or else they were addressing the MORE problem of grommetless holes eating up strings. "We'll just make the holes so darn big there is no way they can damage the strings." :D

Marc C.
12-22-2004, 02:37 PM
"It's all about the o"

Isn't that the overstock.com commercial?