PDA

View Full Version : Facts: B. Clinton vs. G.W. Bush

tzinc
02-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Bill Clinton Vs. George W. Bush Please discuss the following

Jobs

Clinton added 22.7 million jobs

Bush added 3 million jobs (worst in 70 years)

---------------------------

GDP growth

Clinton 3.6%

Bush 2.6%

Unemployment

Clinton 7.3% -> 4.2%

Bush 4.2% -> 4.7%

Real median household income

Clinton grew by $5,825

Bush fell by $1,273

Poverty rate

Clinton fell 3.5% (6.4 million fewer people)

Bush rose 1.3% (5.4 million more people)

Federal Debt

Clinton deficit of $290 billion > surplus of $236 billion (fiscal 2000)

Bush deficit of 9.2 trillion and growing

tricky
02-13-2008, 01:04 AM
FWIW, I actually agree with KK that the president doesn't have a lot of positive short-term influence over the economy. He can't just manufacture jobs without rapidly expanding the public sector. Clinton presided over the first wave of the Dot-com boom. That's like being Phil Jackson and inheriting Jordan and Pippen on your team. Anybody's going to look good during that era.

caesar66
02-13-2008, 06:51 AM
FWIW, I actually agree with KK that the president doesn't have a lot of positive short-term influence over the economy. He can't just manufacture jobs without rapidly expanding the public sector. Clinton presided over the first wave of the Dot-com boom. That's like being Phil Jackson and inheriting Jordan and Pippen on your team. Anybody's going to look good during that era.

I think this is a major factor that people often overlook. Also, the Reagan and Bush 41 economic policies that were put in place post-Carter to try and recover from his blunders were inherited by Clinton. I think we may feel some negative effects from them now, but at that point I feel that Clinton inherited a bit of growth from their policies. Before I get bashed for Clinton bashing, though, I should note that I don't think he was a terrible president. He did cut spending and I believe did an ok job of managing what I feel he inherited. Bush 43 spends like crazy (duh). I think Clinton was ok with economics, but that he doesnt deserve the full credit at all for balancing the budget/etc. He was a part of that process, but was not the process.

movdqa
02-13-2008, 08:09 AM
The goldbug version is that Clinton, Rubin and Greenspan got together to promote a stronger dollar along with a bigger money supply. It's a good trick if you can pull it off and they did manage to pull it off. Households also rebuilt savings from the housing bubble bust that really killed speculation so a combination of household savings and easy money provided a launchpad for speculation and the stength in the dollar allowed for higher consumption levels in buying imported goods.

In general, it's hard to keep an easy money policy going while you're maintaining a strong currency as commodities usually rat you out. But commodites like Oil and Gold were in severe long-term bear markets and deliberate central bank efforts to keep the price of the barbarous metal down were effective.

BulletDodger
02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Having an affair while in office, lying about it and embarassing the nation in the process.

Clinton-100%

Bush-0%

AM28143
02-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Having an affair while in office, lying about it and embarassing the nation in the process.

Clinton-100%

Bush-0%

I'd rather have a president who cheats on his wife than one who cheats America with a foolish, poorly planned war. I'd rather have a president screw around with a girl than screw around with democracy and liberty.

-Adam :)

PROTENNIS63
02-13-2008, 02:57 PM

Excellent point. Also with the wars going on now, Bush was/is in a tougher position. Although I still think Bush could have/should've done a better job. I am sure instead of giving those billions into Iraq, he could spare some for his own country.

BulletDodger
02-13-2008, 02:57 PM
yada yada...id rather have a president who will stand up and make un-popular decisions for the good of the country rather than dancing around questions and topics and saying what people want to hear like seemingly all democrats do...i know adultery happens all the time, its reality...but when youre the president of the united states is when it cannot happen...period...and then lie about it repeatedly...what a joke and an embarassment...ill take bush any day of the week.

StealthGnome
02-13-2008, 10:45 PM
embarassing the nation

Clinton-100%

Bush-9001%

Fixed. You're welcome.

kairosntx
02-14-2008, 02:41 AM
Terrorist attacks without retribution

Clinton:
US embassy in Tansania
US embassy in Kenya
1993 WTC bombing
USS Cole
US housing compound in Saudi Arabia

retaliatory strikes- 0
preemptive measures- 0

Our inaction in repeat attacks on US installations foreign and domestic led terrorists to continue planning more complex attacks.

---------------------------------

And a side note...

US Presidents Impeached
Andrew Johnson
William J Clinton

kairosntx
02-14-2008, 03:06 AM
"In a fiery speech this weekend, Hillary Clinton wondered why President Bush can't find the tallest man in Afghanistan. Probably for the same reason she couldn't find the fattest intern under the desk." - Jay Leno

tzinc
02-14-2008, 03:09 AM
Lieing about oral sex cost 0 lives.

Lieing about WMDs and Hussein's connection to terrorism cost 1000s of lives and created 1000s of NEW terrorists and made world more unstable. Oh yeah it also increased his buddies' Haliburton and Oil Company profits tenfold plus.

It's hilarious that a guy was impeached for lying about oral sex that cost no lives and a guy who lied about WMDs and Terrorist Connection which is costing 1000s of lives was NOT impeached. If anyone deserved impeaching it was Bush for his deadly lies!

Think of Tony Soprano Bush is no different - if Tony Soprano became President he would do what Bush did. He went after 1competing crook took his territory and rubbed him out. And then he emptied out the coffers of the US Treasury for his buddies' profits.

The one difference is the mob hardly ever kills INNOCENT people but Bush killed 1000s of brave innocent Americans and foreigners. With 1000s more to come with all the new terrorists his policies have created. Plus he has done a great job at home eroding civil and legal rights of American citizens.

You don't have to imagine what a sociopathic criminal would do if he became President because it's already happened.

kairosntx
02-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Lying about oral sex cost the democrats the presidency and put Bush in the white house. The war is all Bill's fault.

CanadianChic
02-14-2008, 03:12 AM

Clinton-100%

Bush-0%

How did his 'affair' embarrass the nation?

bbfifas
02-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Senator Craig anyone? Embarrassing that a bigot hypocrite Republican like himself turned out to be a cheater himself with a gay prositite in a public restroom.

Hows that for embarrassing our country. How can you not say that is 10 times worst then Bills incident?

D-Bomb
02-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Lying about oral sex cost the democrats the presidency and put Bush in the white house. The war is all Bill's fault.

This has to be either an attempt at humor or the dumbest logic I've ever heard. kairos I assumed you were a Bush supporter/Clinton basher, but you just admitted that the Bush caused the war. I really really hope that was an attempt at humor.

Bodacious DVT
02-14-2008, 07:24 PM
How can you not say that is 10 times worst then Bills incident?

Senator Craig wasn't the president. Is it a disgrace? absolutely, but he was not (thankfully) the head figure of this country.

kairosntx
02-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Not at attempt at humor... An attempt to get under someones skin! Sorry, in case others on the boards haven't figured it out yet I am not passionate about these issues but ever the instigator. Just trying to keep things lively.

Kaptain Karl
02-14-2008, 09:34 PM
It's hilarious that a guy was impeached for lying ...What's "hilarious" is ... you don't even know why he was impeached, yet you are spouting-off about it.

... a guy who lied about WMDs and Terrorist Connection which is costing 1000s of lives was NOT impeached. If anyone deserved impeaching it was Bush for his deadly lies!Um ... the same people who would have to do the impeaching believed and repeated the very same information, thinking it was NOT a bunch of lies. Most of Congress would have to be impeached, too.

Most of us agree the Afghanistan "thing" was good ... and the Iraq war is poorly considered, planned and executed. You are not alone in your assessment.

GWB's domestic and border malfeasance are acknowledge BIG problems, too. But "sociopath"? You obviously don't know the meaning of the word.

Senator Craig anyone? <snip>
Hows that for embarrassing our country. How can you not say that is 10 times worst then Bills incident?Simple. President Clinton broke the LAW by lying to a Grand Jury.

Senator Craig is already relegated to the status of a "nobody". Billy Boy is still strutting his stuff nationally and internationally. (And has the temerity to still think he was "railroaded" for a sex act.) That guy is crazy.

[You're probably too young to remember, but Charles Colson (Watergate) instructed his attorney to "find something I can plead guilty to." And he served time in prison for it. There's some recovered integrity for you....]

- KK