PDA

View Full Version : Nick Bollettieri, is he good?

Tenny
12-22-2004, 11:06 AM
I just picked up his book. It seems he is a very interesting guy. Son of pharmacist, ex-paratrooper, dropped out from a law school... 'don't make a list, do it first'-attitude, teaching crouch...
He began playing tennis in his college days? Is he a good tennis player? Did he win any tournament? How could he make himself one of the most successful tennis coaches?

Also, I've read his essay about (or to) Seles family. Although I admire Monica, the essay gave me a counterbalancing view. How determined (or ..eh, self-centered) the family was etc. It was very interesting. At least he must be a great story teller or something like that.

T.

robstar
12-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Tenny, in my opinion he's a phoney. He's also very quick to turn on pupils/students when they fail or disagree with him. You'll find in the pro tennis ranks, he's not really that liked. The whole thing is people say "well look at all the great players he's produced" well no, he's being given extremly talent players. My comparison is Phil Jackson, also a phoney, give me a team with mj, pippen or shaq and kobe and i could win a couple titles as a coach too. I actually attended his general camp when i was a sophmore in high school and he was the most pompous (spelling?) human that i've ever met. My 2 cents anyways

rob

ollinger
12-22-2004, 11:42 AM
It's hard to imagine someone who refers to himself as robstar (unless of course that is your real name) describing someone else as "pompous." Succeeding as a coach because, in part, you have good players may suggest good fortune, but how, unless one goes around saying the players had nothing to do with it, does it make one a "phony"?
________
TrickyAss (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/TrickyAss)

mary fierce
12-22-2004, 12:00 PM
"robstar"
Your point excapes me....why would a coach be "given" so many talented players unless, at some point earlier, he hadn't demonstrated himself to be a talented coach? I think you'd have to give Nick B. his due in this regard.

robstar
12-22-2004, 12:00 PM
no robstar is my email address from school, so i use it here so i wont forget it, don't be a tool dude. Yes, my name is Rob and i went to A school called STAR Academy and played tennis there, so yes um next subject. I've personally met the guy, have you? I assure you he's a phoney if you go to his camp you'll learn he doesn't really do anything he has great assistants and camp counselors that do the "real " work, yet he's quick to take credit for all of it. Another guy who takes himself way to seriously.

robstar
12-22-2004, 12:03 PM
my point is he doesn't teach the players anything, he prepares them for the spotlight, the money aspect of it, the interviewing, and all things of that nature. It's just he praises himself all the time about how great he is and how great his system is. But the fact is almost every pro player that comes out of there, ends up hating him with a passion. see courier, haas, agassi, kournikova, they all despise him and their are many more. i think thats my point

NoBadMojo
12-22-2004, 12:20 PM
IMO Bolletierri is just one of those anomolies that happens to come along at the right place and time, gets a success story, and self promotes himself into very artificial greatness because the people he takes all the money from are both vulnerabe and have lots of money to blow....his place is a factory for the most part. and also the quick fix way to play short term winning tennis..the build a game around a single weapon mentality which almost all the time is the forehand. so he is at least partly responsible for the game changing to a one dimensional style..he's not good for tennis IMO and should be given a full frontal cortex lobotomy :). name a pro allcourter let alone a serve/volley player that spent any meaningful time at the Bolletierri..becker lasted there a very short time I believe.

atatu
12-22-2004, 12:20 PM
He's probably a 4.0 player. Does he understand the game ? Yes. Is he a great motivator ? Yes. Can he communicate concepts to players to make them better ? Yes. Does he hire good people to teach players ? Yes. Is he a fantastic self-promoter ? Absolutely. Is he a better coach than someone like Robert Lansdorp ? No.

robstar
12-22-2004, 12:25 PM
thank you NoBadMojo, that is exactly what i was trying to say , but in a nicer more informative way. I thought i was gonna go crazy.

Tenny
12-22-2004, 01:28 PM
thank you NoBadMojo, that is exactly what i was trying to say , but in a nicer more informative way. I thought i was gonna go crazy.

See? That's why I voted him as one of my favorite posters. But NBM, you will have to do your best to keep your ranking next year! :D

Tenny
12-22-2004, 01:30 PM

atutu, is he really 4.0? I don't mean to offend 4.0s around here but I always believe only the best (in many different aspects of course) can teach the best. 4.0 looks rather low. Or he must have something special anyway.

NoBadMojo
12-22-2004, 01:45 PM
why thank you Tenny..I am both humbled and honoured :) I dont know if i can possibly retain my TW ranking next year......i'm not as mentally tough as i used to be and am making too many unforced errors;0 , and some of the mean spirited people around here cause me to wish to flee because of the bad energy sometimes......hopefully most of the ignorant people (i wonder if they know who they are?) will figure things out and fix themselves next year, and this board will be a better place..thanks for the props Robstar. seasons greetings..........

Rickson
12-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Ed, you're a very knowledgeable guy and I hope I wasn't one of those bad energy guys you were referring to. Our whole disagreement came when you said you could ace Roger Federer and I disagreed. Ed, keep up the good work because you inspire a lot of players here.

robstar
12-22-2004, 02:42 PM
actually nobadmojo, you raise an interesting point about bolle. Anna Kournikova had a very interesting all court game, and he very much encouraged her just to slug it out from the baseline, even after her wimbledon semi. also he encouraged marketing her as a sex symbol, and he tried to do the same thing with sharapova and she said no way. If you notice now that after she cut ties with him she started to develop an all court games as well. As someone said Landsdorp is a good coach, but a shamless self promoter as well, atleast his is deserved.

rob

Dedans Penthouse
12-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Strange thing: on one hand, I'm not that crazy about Nick "I" Bolletteri and on the other hand, I really admire Sidney Poitier, yet when I think of either of them, the same thing comes to mind:

"Raisin in the Sun."

Brian Purdie
12-23-2004, 07:16 PM
The bigger Q you may be asking: Was/Is he good for tennis? He is definately the center point of a number of middle/south FL training camps in the 80's alongside Saddlebrook and others. He raised the bar for american and int'l players by creating a factory of players and sending a few onto the pro scene. That is quite a remarkable feat and an excellent thing for American tennis at the time. Seeing Courier, and Agassi, and others from Saddlebrook like Capriati made FL the undisputed capital of US tennis. People like Roddick and int'l kids like Seles, Anna K, and Sharapova then started moving to FL. I think Nick B. is largely responsible for this.

However, like any factory, he and others in FL have kept producing the same product without much variation. They don't emphasize S&V or all court games, and I think tennis as a whole has suffered as a result in its popularity and watchability.

sm-2004
12-24-2004, 08:21 AM
I listened to his speech on Toronto tournament this year. He seems very wise guy. He mentioned that they select talented kids very carefully, checking their parents and other relatives. He also said they they do suggest changing some shot technic for kids only if they think that it can improve kids' game....