PDA

View Full Version : Racquet graphics and geometry and their mental effect

Richard Pur
12-22-2004, 10:41 AM
First all, I know what some of the real hard core guys and old school players will say to this but if you must reply, be gentle.

Many if not all sports are 90% mental and like many say here on the board, it's not the racquet but the player that is important.....

But there are some racquets out there who's looks I can't get past, whether it's their shape (Yonex) or paint job, and I can't see myself playing with them. Estusa is another one. Even though the feel of this racquet is something that I'm looking for, I just can't pull the trigger. Same thing with Yonex. Even with all the hype about the RDX's lately, how many of you don't want to go there because of the non-traditional racquet shape?

I know someone will probably tell me to see a shrink, but I probably play better with a player's racquet that is much more demanding because it makes me feel more like a player. And if you think it, you can and may play it.

What do you think? How many out there have this problem? And maybe the fact that I realize I have this problem means I'm not too far gone.

Craig Sheppard
12-22-2004, 10:55 AM
No problems at all Richard, couldn't agree with you more. I have a few rules myself about looks and shape.

1. No Yonex racquets. Can't adjust to the head shape, and it's completely mental. I hit fine with them, but have no confidence in them.

2. No white racquets. I keep getting pictures in my mind of ugly white racquets on TV. They are so bright on TV and look so unwieldy it annoys me.

3. No racquets > 95 sq in. My backhands just never feel right with larger heads. 98 is a maybe. Again it's psychological with the 98s, but that's the hand I was dealt.

Craig

NoBadMojo
12-22-2004, 11:00 AM
before there can be a cure, there must be awareness??? so there seems to still be hope for you. ;) i can agree w. you to a certain extent, but somehow when you start thumping people w. your honkin ugly racquet, she turns into a beautiful swan :) form follows function.
conversely, there are drawbacks to both the egg shaped estusa head and the pancake flipper shaped yonex head IMO.

mary fierce
12-22-2004, 11:55 AM
As a shrink, I would suggest that there is only a "problem" if the issue interferes with your life in some significant way. This doesn't.
There are enough racquets out there of all types that you can find one that's just fine for you, even if it's your second choice rather than first. How things look affects nearly all choices, be it clothing, car or mate. What's the problem?

Redflea
12-22-2004, 12:01 PM
I know what you mean, in the other direction...for some reason I just LOVE the looks of the black and yellow Dunlop 200G...kept going back to it to see if I could force myselft to like how I hit with it as much as I liked its looks. :-) Didn't work, unfortunately.

Obviously, I don't have a problem w/the Yonex head shape (like it, actually) but didn't care for the look of the NXG mid head, nor the Volkl V-engines throat. Love the paint job on the Yonex RDX series especially...one of the nicest looking racquets, IMHO. Also like the retro nCodes w/stark red/white & the brown leather grips.

The only drawback I've found w/the Yonex head shape has been having to explain to my opponents how I beat them with such a weird looking racquet. :-)

thejackal
12-22-2004, 12:19 PM
From far away I liked the looks of the HPS 6.1, but now that I got one I think it looks pretty ugly.

Tenny
12-22-2004, 01:47 PM
I have some rules too. For me they matter in this order: Color > Size > Shape.

1. No white racquet : I purchased a warrior but sold the next day. Actually I didn't like the racquet itself but it might have been the color. White color is for a nurse.

2. Black color or metallic color prefered, Red color is fine: But no blue. Not intimidating enough (again, only in my head. Do I feel they are intimidating? I don't care whether it intimidates others or not). I love black Prostaff 6.0's professional look (Printing on its throat looks very professional). However, POG's cosmetics is my only complaint about the stick.

3. I am definitely in 95 inch zone. Only Oversize I play nowadays is POGOS. I just got a head classic with 93 head. I feel it intimidatingly small (again, just in my head and hand. It's like a sharp dagger!).

4. Haven't tried Estusa. I don't mind the shape because I admire Becker or Lendl. It's just expensive ( :D ), hard to get on ****. Yonex is a different story. I tried only (RD-7). It's OK but the head shape wasn't very attractive. But, unlike 'COLOR-psychology', I didn't like the YONEX mainly for performance reason.

5. I found I have no problem with Surge5.1. Does it surprise you? The problem was its competitor, PD is too beautiful (performance aside).