PDA

View Full Version : TW Upper mid west chapter (Minnesota)

BaselinePlaya
02-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Anyone out there in MN??? I think its high time we start up our own little chapter. Guys n Gals are welcome. A place to get to know each other and hit with eachother... MN where ya at???

SlapShot
02-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Count me in.

Currently in East St. Paul, may be moving to St. Louis Park if a job offer comes through.

3.5/4.0

Dover
02-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Winona here.

Gugafan_Redux
02-15-2008, 09:03 AM
MPLS right here.

I play at Baseline (U of M). I used to play at Northwest clubs, but I dropped membership when Lifetime bought them out. Can't wait for spring!

BaselinePlaya
02-15-2008, 09:18 AM
I live in Rosemount but play in Eagan...4.0 player

SlapShot
02-15-2008, 09:41 AM
MPLS right here.

I play at Baseline (U of M). I used to play at Northwest clubs, but I dropped membership when Lifetime bought them out. Can't wait for spring!

I love Baseline as far as indoor courts go. The resurface in grey made them SO much better than the old maroon and gold only.

Definitely comptemplating a move to someplace where the outdoor courts aren't covered in snow 5 months out of the year. ;)

Douggo
02-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Apple Valley here - 3.5. Play USTA out of baseline, and also play singles at Nicollet/Reed-Sweatt.

SlapShot
02-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Apple Valley here - 3.5. Play USTA out of baseline, and also play singles at Nicollet/Reed-Sweatt.

Are you playing in the current USTA 3.5 league @ Baseline? I'm playing for Jilek.

BaselinePlaya
02-16-2008, 12:37 PM

We should hit sometime, I'm right next to AV in Rosemount. How much does it cost to play at Baseline? I've never played USTA but think it would be fun.

Zhou
02-16-2008, 01:02 PM
When did baseline redo their indoor courts? I was there in october for a tourny and it was maroon with gold lines?

Zhou
02-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Count me in.

Currently in East St. Paul, may be moving to St. Louis Park if a job offer comes through.

3.5/4.0

Man you are lucky. I live in woodbury so it is like a 40 minute drive there. Michael lynne's tennis shop is beast. We only got a small tennis club there but we are not as lucky, the 2 pros that taught me from the beginning got new jobs and the new pros are not as great
I go to ML Tennis because right now, I do not trust the people at our club to string my rackets also, they carry wilson and prince so if I got my rackets strung there I would have to order PHT on TW.

SlapShot
02-16-2008, 02:46 PM
When did baseline redo their indoor courts? I was there in october for a tourny and it was maroon with gold lines?

They resurfaced them in September with the grey outlines - prior to that, the entire surface (both the court and surrounding the court) were maroon, which seemed to absorb the lighting much more than the grey.

Man you are lucky. I live in woodbury so it is like a 40 minute drive there. Michael lynne's tennis shop is beast. We only got a small tennis club there but we are not as lucky, the 2 pros that taught me from the beginning got new jobs and the new pros are not as great
I go to ML Tennis because right now, I do not trust the people at our club to string my rackets also, they carry wilson and prince so if I got my rackets strung there I would have to order PHT on TW.

You talking about Wooddale? I'm very familiar with the "Wooddale Wall" :). Not bad courts, but I alwys feel like the lighting there is weird.

Zhou
02-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah, it is wooddale tennis.
I mean, the courts are decent but I mean the walls are just too close to the courts so if you serve out wide, there is a good chance it would go into the wall or court dividers.
I only take tennis lessons there because it is close and I do not have that much time to go after school 2/3 days a week at Fred Wells.
I met Amy Fraser there!

bluegrasser
02-17-2008, 02:52 AM
We can meet at Twin Cty Tennis and have a few beers first - oh...am I talking to a bunch of 15 yr olds ??

CanadianChic
02-17-2008, 02:53 AM
We can meet at Twin Cty Tennis and have a few beers first - oh...am I talking to a bunch of 15 yr olds ??

I'm close enough to cross the border. :twisted:

Zhou
02-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Um yeah... you are talking to a 14 year old...

SlapShot
02-17-2008, 12:35 PM
25 year old here.

BaselinePlaya
02-18-2008, 09:07 AM
27 year old here

Dover
02-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Anyone here in the Rochester area...

zapvor
02-18-2008, 10:30 AM
you guys are hardcore-wasnt it like minus 20 last week or something

SlapShot
02-18-2008, 11:14 AM

It's been cold this winter - we've had a couple of -20 days. We wouldn't be hitting outside during this time - too windy. ;)

Joe Average
02-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Yeah. There were a couple of nights when it dipped down to minus 15 in the Twin Cities. And that doesn't include wind chill. We had consecutive days (3), earlier this month, when it didn't rise above 0. But it was actually worse last year when we had two full weeks when it didn't get above 0. I remember going out one night when the temp "rose" to 0, exactly 0, and thinking "I know it's zero, but it still feels pretty cold." I guess I knew then and there I've lived here too long.

The heater in the back bubble at Fort Snelling went out a couple of weeks ago. I heard the USTA team had to play in their sweats.

SlapShot
02-18-2008, 11:27 AM
They've had all kinds of trouble at Fort Snelling lately - I'm thankful I play at Baseline.

Joe Average
02-18-2008, 11:33 AM
What gets me is "event parking" at Baseline. I mean ... $7 ... $9???

Too bad Lilydale is no longer.

SlapShot
02-18-2008, 12:09 PM
What gets me is "event parking" at Baseline. I mean ... $7 ... $9???

Too bad Lilydale is no longer.

Sunday nights are nice, but the lack of free (and close) parking sucks.

Summer cannot come soon enough.

Zhou
02-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Lilydale was nice. Reasonable prices and nice courts.
Can you hit at baseline for free or do you need a membership?
Baseline has really nice courts except I don't like how the net doesn't dip down.

zapvor
02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
It's been cold this winter - we've had a couple of -20 days. We wouldn't be hitting outside during this time - too windy. ;)

aw boo. i was going to give you guys mad props. lets see some footage of outside hitting when it hits minus 20 again. come on! i did it in 29 degree with wind. wait...thats still like 40 degree different lol

Zhou
02-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I would hit outside but come on, look how much snow is outside.
Imagine what it would do to your strings.

bluegrasser
02-19-2008, 04:48 AM
I'm close enough to cross the border. :twisted:

I tell you what CC - you come and I'll buy :)

bluegrasser
02-19-2008, 04:51 AM

Yep & we like our woman that way too :shock:

heartman
02-19-2008, 06:57 AM
I'm from Duluth - holy frickin' cold Duluth, that is.

TonLars
02-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey all, Im from Long Prairie which is 2.5 hours north of the Twin Cities (its near the Alexandria area). Im a 5.5 player

I just started my job here in Spring Lake Park actually a couple days ago. Im a tennis instructor here at 'Public Indoor tennis'. This facility just started this last December. I strongly encourage any of you to check it out. The manager has an interesting goal of making tennis more accessible to everyone; rather than pay such high fees for membership at the health clubs that go along with the tennis: workout equipment, showers, lockers, spas, etc. Its all about the tennis and at a very affordable price; much cheaper than anywhere else around.

Id love to give anyone a lesson if interested. Otherwise just check out the rates, the website is http://www.publicindoortennis.com

Zhou
02-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Um, you know the place is not in St. Louis Park but Spring Lake Park.

TonLars
02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Haha, yes you are right. Shows you proof that Im definitely not from around here. Spring Lake Park

SlapShot
02-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Tony - When do you teach? I'd love to get some pointers from you if we could schedule something.

TonLars
02-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Tony - When do you teach? I'd love to get some pointers from you if we could schedule something.

Hey, definitely thatd be fun, Im not sure what works for you but I just took a look at what times are available coming up so youll have to let me know. Right now this is what it looks like the next few days for options, anything in between these hours:

Thursday: 1-3pm, 5-6pm
Saturday: 2-10pm
Sunday: 8am-2:30pm, 6-10pm

tykrum
02-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Interesting, I actually was asked by a friend at the USTA if I wanted to look into teaching there. I said I was only looking for full-time career jobs, but here I am still without one! I wouldn't want to be a tennis instructor for my career anyway.

I am 4.5 player that plays out of Baseline as well. My 4.5 team just won our flight last week, pretty excited about being at areas this summer. Also my hometown is Winona, Dover are you still in high school? Cotter or Senior High?

SlapShot
02-20-2008, 05:54 AM
Hey, definitely thatd be fun, Im not sure what works for you but I just took a look at what times are available coming up so youll have to let me know. Right now this is what it looks like the next few days for options, anything in between these hours:

Thursday: 1-3pm, 5-6pm
Saturday: 2-10pm
Sunday: 8am-2:30pm, 6-10pm

Tony - drop me an e-mail. pjnelson AT stthomas DOT edu

Douggo
02-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Are you playing in the current USTA 3.5 league @ Baseline? I'm playing for Jilek.

Yeah - I'm playing for Rogers. I am Rogers, in fact. We'll be seeing you guys next week.

SlapShot
02-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Yeah - I'm playing for Rogers. I am Rogers, in fact. We'll be seeing you guys next week.

Not sure if I'll be playing that match, but I'll make sure to say hi if I am. We've been chasing Galvin all season - someone needs to beat them. :evil:

SlapShot
02-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Bumping this thread.

I just got back from a lesson with TonLars - very good pointers. I'd recommend him to anyone looking to sharpen their game.

Joe Average
02-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Hey Slapshot,

I noticed your St. Thomas address. I heard a rumor that they're getting rid of the courts at St. Thomas. Any truth to this?

bp_2
02-24-2008, 01:48 PM
As far as I know that's the plan. Here's a link to some additional information:

http://www.stthomas.edu/openingdoors/studentCenter/StudentCenterCaseStatement.html

I guess I'll be playing at St. Kate's... Off topic, are there any lighted courts near St. Thomas? I thought Mac used to have lights, but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.

TonLars
02-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Bumping this thread.

I just got back from a lesson with TonLars - very good pointers. I'd recommend him to anyone looking to sharpen their game.

Thanks, it was fun and you did well! I think if you work hard you can keep improving your game quite a bit. You definitely can have a solid forehand weapon, the key is just cutting down the unforced errors. The hitting part is hard for me since every shot I hit is painful and I dont have much strength, but I can get by enough to keep the ball in play a little.

Hope to see you again soon, good luck with your matches

SlapShot
02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
As far as I know that's the plan. Here's a link to some additional information:

http://www.stthomas.edu/openingdoors/studentCenter/StudentCenterCaseStatement.html

I guess I'll be playing at St. Kate's... Off topic, are there any lighted courts near St. Thomas? I thought Mac used to have lights, but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.

Lighted courts are a bear to find around St. Paul for some reason - last summer, I hit at St. Kates, Mac, St. Paul Academy, and Highland Park HS, and I think only Mac has lights.

St. Thomas's courts were trashy and worn out anyway. Wouldn't be my first choice of places to hit.

Zhou
02-24-2008, 07:32 PM
I am so happy today. I bought a stringer! Gamma Progression II 602 FC. It arrives in about 1.5 weeks!
Now I can tryout new hybrids without having to spend the extra money. Wooddale would charge me $76 for both of my rackets and at Michael Lynne's they charge $72. I would make the stringer back in about a year.

TonLars
02-24-2008, 07:48 PM
I bought a stringer! Wooddale would charge me $76 for both of my rackets and at Michael Lynne's they charge $72.

Thats outrageous!

Where I work, theyd charge you 10-20+ dollars less for hybrid stringing. But getting a stringer is the best way to go.

SlapShot
02-25-2008, 06:01 AM
I've been stringing my own since my senior year of high school - I don't even want to think about how much $$ I've saved. I actually plan on upgrading to a new stringer soon, but I'm still in the "can't decide what I want" phase.

UserNeimenin
02-26-2008, 01:14 AM
I just can't believe this kid bashing the Wooddale Tennis Center! It is the perfect place to play tennis in the cities. For one thing, you don't have to pay outrageous membership fees like those Lifetime Fitness Centers.

Also, who doesn't love playing attached to a live roller skating rink on a Friday night? Just suck it up and don't worry about the guy 10 feet away grunting on the bench press.

The courts there are great and the walls are close, but if you can't get to the ball before it hits the wall, you probably aren't quick enough to get the ball or it was going to be a clean winner anyway. After playing in the Wooddale Classic, I found that it is one of the greater arenas for tennis in the whole state and if you don't feel that way you are a SPOILED BRAT, not a real tennis player.

And the person who said the new pros there aren't as good, are you kidding me? What a joke. Are you speaking of the same Wooddale that is run by Narrski? He's top notch and runs one of the greater clubs in Minnesota.

bluegrasser
02-26-2008, 04:50 AM
Thats outrageous!

Where I work, theyd charge you 10-20+ dollars less for hybrid stringing. But getting a stringer is the best way to go.

$50 - $60 at Twin Cty Tennis.

SlapShot
02-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Wooddale is OK. I have played many times there. I vastly prefer Baseline, Reed-Sweatt, or Public Indoor Tennis. I've done drills on Friday nights with Matt, and it's definitely useful time, but he's not the best instructor I've worked with, to be frank.

Gugafan_Redux
02-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Wow, I'm pumped about publicindoortennis ! Thanks for ringing in here, Tony. Wish I had heard about it sooner, but oh well. Haven't played all winter. It's 8 miles from home, no membership, online booking, and the $12 an hour fee is a significant difference over $18, if you ask me. Plus no paid parking at the U.

I hope to be there this Saturday. And will probably look into a lesson in the future.

Sweet!

SlapShot
02-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Wow, I'm pumped about publicindoortennis ! Thanks for ringing in here, Tony. Wish I had heard about it sooner, but oh well. Haven't played all winter. It's 8 miles from home, no membership, online booking, and the $12 an hour fee is a significant difference over $18, if you ask me. Plus no paid parking at the U.

I hope to be there this Saturday. And will probably look into a lesson in the future.

Sweet!

I highly recommend Tony for lessons - he did a good job of pointing out an issue in my forehand that was causing a large portion of my errors off of that wing. Now to fix it.

Gugafan_Redux
02-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Cool. What was the cost, Slapshot?

SlapShot
02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
I'll leave that to Tony. ;)

It was less than Lifetime.

TonLars
02-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Gugafan, hope to see you here soon! It really is a good thing going on here, I like the owner's vision of trying to make tennis more affordable to everyone without having to pay the membership fees that are necessary at those fitness clubs. The court time charge is very excellent as you said, and we also have alot of good programs for both juniors and adults, where we do both alot of hitting and then playing out points against other players. The online booking as you said seems to be a hit with people because of the conveinience.

If youre interested in a lesson thatd be great, so just let me know! At this time, our competition (LifeTime) is charging about $68 an hour for a lesson, and we are charging $52.

Gugafan_Redux
02-26-2008, 10:42 AM
A friend just pointed out that it's $12.50 PER PERSON per hour.

That's $25 an hour.

:cry: :oops:

TonLars
02-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Certain times of the day it can actually be lower at about $21. This is comparable to other places in Minnesota with good rates, such as Baseline TC or Reed Sweatt (Nicollet), which charges $22. Otherwise, the clubs like Lifetime Fitness you have to be a member and so it is much more expensive to play.

Zhou
02-26-2008, 02:15 PM
I just can't believe this kid bashing the Wooddale Tennis Center! It is the perfect place to play tennis in the cities. For one thing, you don't have to pay outrageous membership fees like those Lifetime Fitness Centers.

Also, who doesn't love playing attached to a live roller skating rink on a Friday night? Just suck it up and don't worry about the guy 10 feet away grunting on the bench press.

The courts there are great and the walls are close, but if you can't get to the ball before it hits the wall, you probably aren't quick enough to get the ball or it was going to be a clean winner anyway. After playing in the Wooddale Classic, I found that it is one of the greater arenas for tennis in the whole state and if you don't feel that way you are a SPOILED BRAT, not a real tennis player.

And the person who said the new pros there aren't as good, are you kidding me? What a joke. Are you speaking of the same Wooddale that is run by Narrski? He's top notch and runs one of the greater clubs in Minnesota.

Are you talking about the one in Woodbury, MN?
The walls are so close that you could slice serve into the wall... Especially in doubles.
Have you ever played at Baseline Tennis Center?

Zhou
02-26-2008, 02:17 PM
UserNeimenin,
Have you ever gone to Fred Wells?

Bryant
02-26-2008, 03:03 PM
2 Centers in Lakeville. LTF and Matchpoint Tennis...Both end up around $22 and hour though

Zhou
02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Wooddale ends up being $16 an hour plus guest fee which is about $8 more unless you get a membership which they still take advantage and rip you off. 3 years ago, at Wooddale, over the summer you could play for free as long as courts were open. (But you had to be a member.)

zapvor
02-26-2008, 04:06 PM
the state of affairs with most indoor centers i have encountered is just awful. they basically try to extort you into becoming a member, and even if you do become one its not worth it

UserNeimenin
02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Baseline is alright, but their court surface is terrible unless you are looking to get injured. They only surfaced it that way for a home court advantage against other big ten teams. I would rather play at Wooddale. Never had a problem with the walls there. Just move your feet and the wall will not be a problem man.

TonLars
02-26-2008, 09:49 PM
No membership needed for the best rate where I work, unlike wooddale:) Also, no walls to contend with. The court surface is super nice as they are brand new, and also they are professionally sized with alot of extra room behind the baseline

Zhou
02-27-2008, 05:03 AM
Well in singles it may not be a problem but in doubles it can get dangerous. Especially for your racket. I nearly smashed my old n5 in the wall a could of times. Plus the center net can also get in the way.
The old pro Eric was better IMO. He gave me a $220 n5 which was pretty much brand new for $100, well a PD when galyan's closed I bought one at their closing sale and he traded with me.

tangies08
02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Fred Wells Tennis Center is pretty nice. 22$ and hour and membership for a year is just 50 bucks.
also the best junior program in the section

Zhou
02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Membership is one thing, they have the best pros and even have the WTA Amy Frazier. Yes she works there.

TonLars
02-27-2008, 07:32 PM
they have the best pros

You should get around more :wink:

Zhou
02-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Well in the metropolitan area. I haven't gone out to suburban areas.

TonLars
02-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Reed Sweat, Baseline and White Bear have very good pros who have been very experienced and successful at both playing and coaching. And dont forget Public Indoor tennis:) But im glad you like who youve found

UserNeimenin
02-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Also some fine pros in other areas outside of the cities. Great pros in Rochester and even in Duluth.

SlapShot
02-28-2008, 06:03 AM
Has anyone worked with Doug Matuska? I've thought about taking a lesson from him, as I've seen him play and he's definitely a very solid player.

bluegrasser
02-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Has anyone worked with Doug Matuska? I've thought about taking a lesson from him, as I've seen him play and he's definitely a very solid player.

I took a lesson from him a few yrs ago - really a great guy - takes the encouraging route, not one to get on your ***** if you're faultering.

Ultra2HolyGrail
02-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Slapshot, you might be better off joining a club and going to drills a few times a week. It will be cheaper than taking lessons from a teaching pro. And it's very effective especially if the person running the drills helps with your technique.

SlapShot
02-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Slapshot, you might be better off joining a club and going to drills a few times a week. It will be cheaper than taking lessons from a teaching pro. And it's very effective especially if the person running the drills helps with your technique.

Oh, I do drills. I should do more, but I really want to hammer out the little things before they get to be bad habits (again ;)).

I find that while drills help with strategy and match play, they don't do much to help the little parts of your form that may be causing your forehand to fly long.

Ultra2HolyGrail
02-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Oh, I do drills. I should do more, but I really want to hammer out the little things before they get to be bad habits (again ;)).

I find that while drills help with strategy and match play, they don't do much to help the little parts of your form that may be causing your forehand to fly long.

You really need to get lucky finding a person running drills that also help you with technique. All to often someones just feeding balls that dont give a damn and dont or is incapable of giving advice. Sometimes they just dont care unfortunately. Group lessons sounds cool but i dont know if anyone offers this.

Douggo
02-28-2008, 08:52 AM
SlapShot - you playing tonight?

SlapShot
02-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Nope - I may come cheer the team on, but the GF is asking for some quality time tonight as I've been busy @ work lately.

Douggo
02-28-2008, 09:03 AM
I hope that's not a difficult decision for you to make! 8)

TonLars
02-28-2008, 09:30 AM
SlapShot id recommend you to Doug Matuska if you want to know, he is a friend of mine. He is a nice guy and is good with technique

tangies08
02-28-2008, 06:59 PM
You should get around more :wink:

umm...fort snelling easily has the best jr. program/coaching staff in northern.
every top player plays here. 4 of the 5 top 18's boys jrs play here plus the girls state champ and runner up.

TonLars
02-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Im well aware they have good juniors playing there (hence part of the reason for the sarcastic wink). However, I disagree with you about stating they have "the best coaching staff", or even run their programs better than all other places. Im not saying they dont do a good job either. You are simply entitled to your opinion. Unless you, also, know almost all of the best tennis players and coaches in this area, then making statements like that doesnt carry alot of weight. And at any rate, theres no need to come on here to say a certain program is the "best" anyway. Its better, to go ahead and talk about what they do, who the coaches are, what they charge, what kind of players play there, and so forth to let people make their own choices.

tangies08
02-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Unless you, also, know almost all of the best tennis players and coaches in this area.

I know every good junior player in the section and I know or have heard of almost every coach. Ill give you the benefit or the doubt on older players and what they are doing and the programs run for them. But for junior players, junior programs, and junior development, my statement carries weight. As far as talking about what programs are the best? Im giving my opinion on what club I think has the best program, and I dont see why that shouldnt be apart of this thread, given that there are likely juniors reading this.

TonLars
02-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah, didnt sound like you were giving an opinion. You came on, in ignorance to my sarcastic remark, and flat out said the program and coaches are the best in the section.

Now thats your opinion and if you really like them and are their friends or something thats fine. But I disagree with you, and frankly I simply know of too many good coaches and programs to accept that statement. The fact that you know junior players doesnt really mean alot either to be honest. That has nothing to do with the coaches or programs in the area.

Anyways, the biggest problem was when you directly quoted my sarcastic remark and acted like you knew which program and coaches were "the best". I dont think I can make a statement like that about a certain place having been to almost all of them, and I know almost all of the tennis players and coaches down here. So, you certainly shouldnt, nor anyone else really unless they have 'actually' been through every place and program. Again like I said earlier, the purpose of this thread isnt to say that a certain place or coach is the best. Im irritated by a comment like that. Go ahead and talk about programs, coaches, and facilities, but dont come on here and say such and such is "easily the best". Thats just nonsense, rude, and its not slipping past me

:shock:

SlapShot
03-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Bump.

Anyone else doing drills @ Public Indoor tonight? I'll be there at 6:30 if I'm not snowed in.

TonLars
03-05-2008, 12:19 PM
awesome PJ, ill see you there hopefully

SlapShot
03-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Are both you and Peg running drills tonight?

TonLars
03-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Yep, thats how it usually goes. She is more or less the facilitator, and then I do alot of coaching and feeding. And usually theres alot of point play, and we'll play in a little for fun

SlapShot
03-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Bump.

Supposed to hit 40 today. Another coupla weeks and we'll be hitting outside.

Anyone want to set up an e-mail list for finding hitting partners?

SlapShot
03-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Bump.

Anyone want to set up a regular hitting session? I need to get my outdoor fix as soon as the courts are clear. ;)

1337Kira
03-22-2008, 05:53 PM
White Bear, White Bear, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.
I'm actually in Maplewood.
I can't wait for the weather to get better, I prefer playing outside...

Douggo
06-18-2008, 01:41 PM
SlapShot:
You in the lineup tomorrow night at Baseline?

SlapShot
06-18-2008, 01:45 PM
SlapShot:
You in the lineup tomorrow night at Baseline?

Yessir. #1 dubs. I'm not going to be with my "usual" doubles partner, but it should be ok.

Douggo
06-18-2008, 01:59 PM
I'll have my guys come here to research all you've divulged about your game. :twisted:

I'll be at #2S. Looking forward to meeting you.

SlapShot
06-18-2008, 02:05 PM
I'll have my guys come here to research all you've divulged about your game. :twisted:

My game is easy - hit it hard. If all else fails, swing harder. :lol:

SlapShot
06-19-2008, 06:44 AM

Doug - I'll be out there in a grey t-shirt and white shorts. I'll have a rose tucked behind my left ear. If there's someone with a rose behind their right ear, they're an imposter. :lol:

Douggo
06-19-2008, 08:39 AM
LOL. There's probably a dozen guys fitting that description at Baseline every week!
Tennis Channel bag check with Douggo shows, among other things, black shorts and black or grey shirt - all New Balance.
The black or the grey may be a gametime decision, depending upon whether my opponent requires intimidation.

Morrowreze
12-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Hello everyone. I play DIII out in Washington but am going back home to Minnesota for winter break, which goes through most of January. Since we start playing the day we get back to school, I don't want to be out of practice. I was wondering if any of you could point me to a cheap place to hit where I could get some drills or matchplay. Much thanks.

Morrowreze
12-15-2008, 03:52 PM
By the way, I live in the Twin Cities area. So that's where I'm looking for courts.

TonLars
12-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Hello everyone. I play DIII out in Washington but am going back home to Minnesota for winter break, which goes through most of January. Since we start playing the day we get back to school, I don't want to be out of practice. I was wondering if any of you could point me to a cheap place to hit where I could get some drills or matchplay. Much thanks.

If youre interested, the facility I work at has pretty good prices for drills and court time. Depends where you live exactly though I guess. Check us out though at http://www.publicindoortennis.com

Morrowreze
12-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Cool. I live in Shoreview so that is only about a 15 minute drive. Looks good to me, pretty cheap and three times a week is good. I'll check it out. Any other suggestions?

Morrowreze
12-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Signed up for drills on tuesday. Thanks TonLars.

TonLars
12-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Signed up for drills on tuesday. Thanks TonLars.

No Problem! Are you doing the junior drills or adult drills? Our adult drills are Monday and Wednesday at 5:30-6:30 and 6:30-7:30, or Saturdays at 9-10 or 10-11. Junior drills are on week days at 3:30-5, or Saturdays at 11-12 and 12-1

The_Steak
12-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey Ton, just registered a couple days ago and am pretty interested. I have not gone around to playing a lot of tournaments because I have been perfecting technique but will be playing at a reed and sweats tournament around december 27th ish. Is it possible to hit with me for maybe a half and hour just to see what level I am at? Because I really don't know what 3.0 level is. Would the tryout/evaluation be free?

Morrowreze
12-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Whoops, I lied. I meant Monday the 22nd at 6:30-7:30. I have no idea about the ratings so I hope I fit in there, we'll see. I didn't see anything but the adult drills on the calender. Do you think the Junior drills would be a better idea?

SlapShot
12-19-2008, 06:29 AM
Whoops, I lied. I meant Monday the 22nd at 6:30-7:30. I have no idea about the ratings so I hope I fit in there, we'll see. I didn't see anything but the adult drills on the calender. Do you think the Junior drills would be a better idea?

I'll likely be there as well then. :)

TonLars
12-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey Ton, just registered a couple days ago and am pretty interested. I have not gone around to playing a lot of tournaments because I have been perfecting technique but will be playing at a reed and sweats tournament around december 27th ish. Is it possible to hit with me for maybe a half and hour just to see what level I am at? Because I really don't know what 3.0 level is. Would the tryout/evaluation be free?
Excellent, hope to see you around sometime. I can hit with you for a half hour if you like; the evaluation of your rating level would be free but the court time fee would not be of course. Call or email the office if you would like to set that up
Ill see you Monday then. From what I can tell I think the adult drill would be a good fit for you, but the junior drill would also be fine for you too since youre just out of highschool. Youre welcome to do either or both. Monday actually is a one day drill seperate from our regular junior session since that just ended, and you can register for that if you like and its a pretty good rate for an hour and a half- $15

Lejanius
12-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I missed this post for some reason, at any rate I live in St. Paul and play at the St. Paul Indoor Tennis club.

I know some people complained about Lilydale not being around I think the people who run St. Paul Indoor are the same people but I am not 100% sure

Morrowreze
12-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Ill see you Monday then. From what I can tell I think the adult drill would be a good fit for you, but the junior drill would also be fine for you too since youre just out of highschool. Youre welcome to do either or both. Monday actually is a one day drill seperate from our regular junior session since that just ended, and you can register for that if you like and its a pretty good rate for an hour and a half- $15

Actually a year removed, so I think I'll stick with the adults. But yes, I'll see you there. And thanks again for helping out.

Morrowreze
12-19-2008, 02:35 PM
I'll likely be there as well then. :)

Sounds like the place to be then :)

Morrowreze
03-10-2009, 12:53 PM
I was looking to join a summer league team in the twin cities and was wondering if it would be better to just register and get randomly assigned to a team or if I should specifically find a team to join. I don't really know how the whole system works anyways. Also, TonLars and SlapShot, about what level should I play at? I was thinking 4.0 but I haven't had any experience with the rating system. It would be nice to hear from you two since you've actually seen me hit a few balls.

SlapShot
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I was looking to join a summer league team in the twin cities and was wondering if it would be better to just register and get randomly assigned to a team or if I should specifically find a team to join. I don't really know how the whole system works anyways. Also, TonLars and SlapShot, about what level should I play at? I was thinking 4.0 but I haven't had any experience with the rating system. It would be nice to hear from you two since you've actually seen me hit a few balls.

We've likely got a spot for you on the 4.0 team that I co-captain if you'd be interested - drop me an e-mail if you'd want to play over the summer. I'd say you're a comfortable 4.0 - 3.5 would definitely be too low and 4.5 might be a bit tough (but you can play up to 4.5 if you find 4.0 too slow for you).

pjnelson AT stthomas DOT edu

Morrowreze
03-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Sounds great. I'll send you an E-mail

Morrowreze
03-10-2009, 11:07 PM
And didn't you get benchmarked at 3.5?

SlapShot
03-12-2009, 08:23 AM
And didn't you get benchmarked at 3.5?

Yep - I did. But I'm co-captaining a 4.0 team - this will be my 3rd trip around 4.0 - I have roughly a .500 record between the two seasons.

TonLars
03-12-2009, 08:52 PM
I agree with Slapshot's assessment, try for 4.0 and/or 4.5 this summer. How is your season going right now?

bluegrasser
03-13-2009, 05:40 AM
If youre interested, the facility I work at has pretty good prices for drills and court time. Depends where you live exactly though I guess. Check us out though at http://www.publicindoortennis.com

Wow Tonlars - I was just there checking out the facility ( nice) - I was thinking of doing a stroke drill next week. Do you lead the stroke drills on Monday ?

TonLars
03-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Wow Tonlars - I was just there checking out the facility ( nice) - I was thinking of doing a stroke drill next week. Do you lead the stroke drills on Monday ?

Thanks bg, I think the courts are pretty nice, its public so it works for me as long as you dont mind not having locker rooms and fitness equipment like LifeTime.

I do lead the Adult drills. Monday Wednesday at 5:30 and 6:30pm, and Saturday at 9 and 10am. It is for 3.0-3.5 and 3.5-4.0 respectively. Usually I do a little feeding of groundstrokes or volleys to start, and the rest of the time it is playing alot of points out, usually doubles. Youll get a good workout and you can meet people to hit with. Maybe ill see you there

Morrowreze
03-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I agree with Slapshot's assessment, try for 4.0 and/or 4.5 this summer. How is your season going right now?

Well, up and down. Our team started off 0-8 but we have won our last three matches and play two of the teams we just beat again at home. We are pretty much a lock for conference (only the top 6 teams go to conference) after our win yesterday, and hopefully we can get a match there. Personally, it's been a little rough for me. I have had to sit out a few matches because of my shoulder. I had an injury to my calf, that also had me miss a few matches, that lingered but I think has finally gone away. I was sick for a week too. But, I'm finally healthy and am optimistic about the rest of the season. Thanks for asking!

Also, I will be home this next week for spring break and will probably go out to some drills. So I hope to see you there!

FedererForehand
07-15-2009, 05:13 PM
I need some new hitting partners/ leagues, etc. Anyone looking for an extra guy for a USTA team 3.5-4.0?

SlapShot
07-16-2009, 07:54 AM
I need some new hitting partners/ leagues, etc. Anyone looking for an extra guy for a USTA team 3.5-4.0?

We don't need any more guys for my USTA team, but once my stitches are out (another week or so), I'd be more than happy to hit. You can e-mail me through my profile - I live in So. Mpls., but can hit wherever.

FedererForehand
07-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Ouch- what did you do to be so lucky to receive stiches?

SlapShot
07-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Ouch- what did you do to be so lucky to receive stiches?

Softball mishap - took a fence to the abdomen.

Actually, I just realized that I haven't changed the password on my e-mail through my profile.

What's your e-mail address - I can send you one from my work e-mail.

FedererForehand
08-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Any idea where the cheapest place to play indoors is in the Twin Cities? I don't belong to a lifetime or any club for that matter. I want to find an affordable club to play at over the fall/winter months.

TonLars
08-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Well, im going to recommend my place then. Publicindoortennis.com is similar to Reed Sweat in that its public and you dont have to be a member to play unlike the LifeTime clubs. Court time is comparable to the least expensive around including Baseline TC and Reed Sweat.

FedererForehand
08-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Well, im going to recommend my place then. Publicindoortennis.com is similar to Reed Sweat in that its public and you dont have to be a member to play unlike the LifeTime clubs. Court time is comparable to the least expensive around including Baseline TC and Reed Sweat.

Cool, I'm in Rosemount so that is quite a drive for me :( . Do you have adult leagues there? I want to find a league for sure for the winter.