PDA

View Full Version : so i emailed bosworth

robstar
12-22-2004, 11:20 AM
i emailed bosworth and asked about a custom 16x18 string pattern for my rd-ti 70 long racquets, they actually can do it, but at a price of $145 a piece. Does that seem insane to anyone else, and furthermore does anyone know another company that might does this for cheaper.
thank you
rob

!Tym
12-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Not really, since customization places are few and far in between. Most people can find the right racket for them without having to resort to extensive customization...only true pros might truly NEED such services. As such, the price is justified...particularly for something like drilling holes so precisely...that takes machinery, experience, and skill and Bosworth's got both.

With that said, I do believe the prices for getting a new grip remolded are ridiculous.

That is a simple matter of stripping the original grip, and having other molds in stock and repouring. Pretty simple stuff, that's WAY overpriced in my opinion. $145 for drilling a new string pattern, however, is more understandable...to me at least, since there is substantially more risk involved I would think. Remolding a grip is pretty fool and dummy proof if you've already got the molds.

mary fierce
12-22-2004, 12:01 PM
What you seek is a luxury, like cosmetic surgery, and luxuries tend to be priced in a different way than necessities, as 1) there's less competition generally to provide the service, and 2) luxuries are sought after for less rational reasons than necessities, obviously. The rational solution mentioned above is to find another stick.

thomas martinez
12-22-2004, 12:23 PM
You know, that really is not a good idea having that done. You're going to actually weaken the structure of the racquet, and totally destroy the playability of it. I've honesly never heard of a redrill of a drilled frame be a possibility.

antontd
12-22-2004, 12:41 PM
I would not drill my racquet even if it was free. Even pros donít do it. They simply ask for a custom frame their sponsor.

robstar
12-22-2004, 12:50 PM
i dunno, thomas bosworth said they could do it, maybe i'll post the reply on here in a bit, anyways i forgot to even mention $145 was for strictly labor, i'm sure it'd be a lot more for each racquet actually, but they said they've done it before, i'm not gonna do it but a nice dream

rob

mark_1981
12-22-2004, 01:14 PM
why would you even consider doing that for your racket? Do you really beleive it will make that much of a difference to your game? I think an open string pattern is better for spin, in my opinion, but come on your not a pro, so just buy another racket with the string pattern you like their is bound to be a similar racket

robstar
12-22-2004, 01:18 PM
i'm not a pro no, but i am a pretty good div 1 college player. You know ever lit bit here and there helps so i just wanted to see what my options were/are. Anything that helps you be competitive is good in my opinion

rob

TommyGun
12-23-2004, 05:42 AM
There is a new racquet company launching this month. Its Vantage Sports International, or you might find it under Vantage Tennis. The founder is the former director of racquet research and design from Dunlop.

They have a website, so go to google and put in Vantage Tennis and see whats up.

I read in a column on another website that Vantage will offer as close to custom as is possible at mass market prices. The article said they would offer your choice of head size, weight/balance, stiffness, string pattern (they do offer a 16X18 choice), different lengths, grip shapes, grip types, and graphics in either black or white.

That would probably be your best choice.

MonicaSelesRulez
12-23-2004, 06:53 AM
Hey!

Does anybody know Bosworth e-mail and phone no.? Please post it ASAP.

joe sch
12-23-2004, 07:49 AM
You know, that really is not a good idea having that done. You're going to actually weaken the structure of the racquet, and totally destroy the playability of it. I've honesly never heard of a redrill of a drilled frame be a possibility.
I totally agree and am really surprised they would even attempt it. Do you get any kind of gaurantee ? Wonder if this has been done before ? It would really have to weaken the frame structurally and would probably not be able to handle alot of tension or big hitting.

robstar
12-23-2004, 08:14 AM
my understand is they do use some of the previous grommets/holes and only remove some and make one additional hole or something of that matter, they don't drill like 16 new holes for the mains atleast thats what i gathered. anyways i'm not going to do it, it's not very cost effective to say the least.

rob

jayserinos99
12-23-2004, 11:56 AM
There is a new racquet company launching this month. Its Vantage Sports International, or you might find it under Vantage Tennis. The founder is the former director of racquet research and design from Dunlop.

They have a website, so go to google and put in Vantage Tennis and see whats up.

I read in a column on another website that Vantage will offer as close to custom as is possible at mass market prices. The article said they would offer your choice of head size, weight/balance, stiffness, string pattern (they do offer a 16X18 choice), different lengths, grip shapes, grip types, and graphics in either black or white.

That would probably be your best choice.

this is racketdesign/paul's company right?

SC in MA
12-23-2004, 01:43 PM
I did a google on VantageTennis and this is one of the things I found. Here's the link: http://www.e-sports.com/web/Articles/215/1/A-tennis-Christmas-wish-list.aspx

(Hope I'm not violating any link/quote rules)

"Vantage Tennis. It is the newest racquet company to emerge on the market, founded and led by Mr. Paul Angell. Angell is formerly the head of racquet development at Dunlop and one of the greatest proponents of computer-aided manufacturing techniques in research, development and engineering of racquet sports equipment. Vantage Tennis will offer custom racquets for players at competitive with the mass market prices.

Vantage will offer three head size choices (90, 95, and 100), open or closed string patterns, two stiffness choices, five different lengths, 13 weight/balance choices, two frame color choices, four handle shapes, five different grips, and a series of other services previously only available to high-ranking pros and players with great financial resources. All levels of players will benefit by this, but serious players will now be able to get a "stick" that will maximize their personal game and truly become part of their arm.

Having your current frame customized by a professional racquet technician is the only other way to get this, and even then, it is hard to find a local person who is competent at it. There are two world-famous racquet shops that will do this for you, but one will only customize your frame and the other offers one frame choice and both are comparably quite expensive. Vantage Tennis will break this paradigm, and should bring quite a stir to the racquet industry. You will see them at www.vantagetennis.com."

!Tym
12-23-2004, 02:20 PM
THANK YOU VANTAGE TENNIS!!!

Everything sounds great, but it's the custom HANDLE SHAPES that tugs at my heart.

To me, the handle shape is by far the single biggest determinant of how a racket feels in your hand. If it don't feel 'right,' I'll be CONSTANTLY thinking about it. Give me a good handle shape, and I'll flash you an even better coffee stained smile.

Now, I just hope they have enough sense to offer the rackets in black or red for the color schemes. I think red and black are pretty agreeable to all, though not necessarily preferred by all (we can't all dig Agassi's ol' Donnay Pro One paint schemes now can we? ...I dig, I dig!).

BTW and for the record, Yonex 'fat' handle shapes just plain SUCK balls for me, Wilson is ma's o menos ok, Head and Volkl both GOOD and BAD, and finally there is Prince and Fischer who are like Dorothy singing somewhere over the rainbow...they tug at my heart, and my heart beats for them like apples need caramel.

Craig Sheppard
12-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Any word on approximate cost? Even guesses? If they can do it in the ballpark of $200, they're gonna be huuuuuuuuuge.

"Tiny Elvis" Craig

mctennis
12-24-2004, 07:13 AM
It looks like it is NOT in the USA. So shipping would be a big factor there. Especially if you're not happy with it or it needs to be tweeked. Big overseas expense IMHO.

phat
12-24-2004, 09:04 AM
It's an excellent news for tennis freaks, if the price is within the range between US$120-200. I hope Vantage to do well because this will make Head and the other biggies think more about making good quality racquets instead of the frame's colours, or technology will a cool name that doesn't work. Hopefully, the biggies will then follow and sell something similar at a lower price??

Craig Sheppard
12-24-2004, 09:34 AM
phat, I have a feeling that the major manufacturers are not setup to do business this way, and that's the Vantage angle for entering the market. I suppose it would be possible for them to change their business if Vantage were to grab a lot of market share quickly. But it sounds to me that Vantage is marketing to high level players, of which there aren't a majority. Joe Average tennis player can't tell you what the advantages of one racquet having a 16x18 vs 18x20 pattern are, let alone care about swingweights and balance points and such. Not saying you're wrong, but my bet is Vantage will stay a niche-type business. I'm hoping they are really popular though, they sound like they have a great idea.

intense2b
12-24-2004, 05:15 PM
There is someone cheaper than Bosworth for customization. Roman formerly of Jays tennis...who customizes racquets for a huge amount of current professionals will probably be way cheaper than Bosworth. you can find him at www.**********.com
by the way...no need to email bosworth...just give him a call ..he will actually be very happy to speak with you. He is not the most computerized person in the world....he does not even have a website!