PDA

View Full Version : What are racquet handles made of?

Craig Sheppard
12-22-2004, 11:58 AM
All the racquets I've owned have had the same yellow stuff creating the shape of the handle under the regular grip. What is this stuff? Some kind of molded plastic? Hard foam? Is it originally a liquid that's poured into a mold, or is it a solid that's trimmed down by a machine?

Thanks,
Craig

jayserinos99
12-22-2004, 12:07 PM
i thought it was a hard foam myself just done up in different ways; for head and volkl sticks its the pallet system and for anything else it was molded on.

PrestigeClassic
12-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Polyurethane.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blpolyurethane.htm
http://www.polyurethane.org/

Gaines Hillix
12-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Most racquet handles are made from poly foam formed in a mold or the same material that the frame is made of(some form of graphite). I've seen some handles that have metal ribs and other materials inside. Of course, there are quite a few wood racquets still out there.

Craig Sheppard
12-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks guys. I love the rounder shaped grips of Dunlops and Wilsons, but like my Fischers... was wondering what material that was on the grip because I was contemplating how to come up with some homebrew solution to change the grip shape. I know that topic has been discussed before here though.

Craig

PrestigeClassic
12-22-2004, 09:25 PM
That's right--The handle of the GTX Pro-T is made of graphite and is one with the frame.

I'd just place some kind of tape along the whole lengths of the two wider sides of the handle (parallel with the string bed). Or send them off for handle-molding if budget allows, though I've never known anybody who's done that.

You might also want to change the shape of the butt cap. Wilson butt caps seem sharper/more flared-out/larger than some others'. I've heard Fischer's feel almost non-existant. Of course, if you go through with the molding, you could just put on a real Wilson butt cap, or whatever butt cap you want. I think that would be cool to mold the butt cap shape along with the handle so that it's all one piece, and just put on some cloth at the end to protect it, like with old wood rackets. Then you wouldn't have to tack a butt cap, and later re-tack the butt cap after the tacks come loose.

Apparently the melting point (more like softening point) of polyurethane is around 190C. Polymers (polyurethane is one) slowly change states, so I'd guess you can get it hot enough to just shape it into shape easily if you have some kind of necessary equipment.