PDA

View Full Version : What happens to unsigned certified letters?

Rickson
02-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I received some card saying I had a certified letter, but I never picked it up. I think I'll just let it sit and never sign for it, but what will happen to that letter?

eagle
02-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Hi Rickson,

I believe after 2 attempts to deliver and a few days at the post office without the recipient picking it up, it will be returned to the sender. That is what I remember seeing on the little note that the mailman left for me at one time.

Thanks,
eagle

Rickson
02-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Hi Rickson,

I believe after 2 attempts to deliver and a few days at the post office without the recipient picking it up, it will be returned to the sender. That is what I remember seeing on the little note that the mailman left for me at one time.

Thanks,
eagle

Thanks for the info.

Geezer Guy
02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
The PO will hold it for two weeks, then send a card to the originator that says THEY have a certified letter. When the originator shows up to pick up the letter (and signs for it), the originator is handed his own letter back.

(Yep - been through this very recently.)

Shaolin
02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Why not just pick it up??

ollinger
02-15-2008, 11:37 AM
It's called magical thinking...."if I don't sign for the letter, the problem it represents will simply disappear."

Dedans Penthouse
02-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Rickson, I went down to the Post Office and picked that registered letter up for you (btw, you owe me, buddy). The letter advised that your subscription to (psst...."that" magazine) was about to expire and that it was time to renew your subscription; you have until April 1st. And don't worry: you don't have to thank me--you're very welcome. :-)

goober
02-15-2008, 01:42 PM
It's called magical thinking...."if I don't sign for the letter, the problem it represents will simply disappear."

Not always magical thinking. Some consider it a legitimate delay tactic:grin:

Rickson
02-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Rickson, I went down to the Post Office and picked that registered letter up for you (btw, you owe me, buddy). The letter advised that your subscription to (psst...."that" magazine) was about to expire and that it was time to renew your subscription; you have until April 1st. And don't worry: you don't have to thank me--you're very welcome. :-)

I have a girlfriend, thank you!