PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Prostaff 6.0 95

Phantom
12-22-2004, 03:44 PM
i just purchased a new PS 6.0 original 95, and have a few questions. What should i be stringing it at? i know a looser string gets more power, and tighter more control, so if i don't want a completely dead racquet what should i string it at, lol.
also, do the lead weights at 10 and 2 make that much of a difference.
what benefits are there for natural gut? what is the best string to use?
should i change the leather grip?
any other help to do with making the racquet the best it can be would be fantastic, thanks

AndrewD
12-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Phantom, theres a good thread going at the moment regarding the PS 6.0 original 95 and I think there's a lot been posted that would answer your questions. If not, I think BreakPoint is the one to ask about all matters PS 6.0 original 95

finchy
12-22-2004, 04:03 PM
first, tell us your previous racquet, playing style, what grips you use, and what you used to string your previous racquet at.

i would first hit with the racquet first and determine whether or not it needs lead tape. adding tape at 10 and 2 would add more power to your shots.

Jay34
12-22-2004, 04:17 PM
i am also a ps 95 fan and user...i string mine at 64 lbs with gamma tnt 17...i use lead tape at 10 and 2 and i think it makes a huuge difference, especially on the serve...best stick ever made, no question

ej
12-22-2004, 05:19 PM
I've owned a PS 6.0 95 for a long time and hit with it occaisionally. I've always had a love/hate relationship with this frame. The lack of mass in the head make is soooo easy to generate headspeed and topspin. I'm convinced it is one of the most comfortable racquets to swing. However, that same lack of mass in the upper hoop produces harsh feedback and severe power drop off if contact is made above the sweetspot. To counter this, I use gut crosses, with the tension of the first three crosses down 4lbs. For a while I was stringing the mains at 56 and the crosses at 59. This also -- somehow -- gave the stringbed a much more even response -- it seemed to make the area off center more playable. I've also found lead to be very helpful at 10 and 2 . . . anything to add some much needed mass and stability.

BreakPoint
12-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Phantom,
I use Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g at 59 - 60 lbs. However, you can string this racquet up to its maximum recommended tension of 65 lbs. and it will still feel smooth and soft. I find that a flexible racquet like this benefits from a stiffer string like a basic syn. gut to balance out the feel, whereas, a stiffer racquet is better with softer strings. If I use very soft multis in the PS 6.0 95, it may feel too mushy. That's why I've been staying with the mono nylon syn. gut for a crisp feel. OG Sheep Micro is stiffer than a multi but still on the softer side for a mono basic syn. gut. It's cheaper, too!!

It's like the difference between getting a basic, old American car with a big, old technology, V-8 engine in it, which runs fine with cheap, low octane gas versus buying a modern car with a turbo engine or a BMW in which you have to put in expensive, high octane gas for it to run well. For flexible, old-tech racquets like the PS 6.0 95, cheap strings work just fine IMHO. :D

Alex
12-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Few years back, I experimented the Wilson PS 6.0 (95). It is an awesome racquet, if you like to customize your racquet with lead tape. This is because it is extremely head-light at 10 point head-light. And the swingweight is 317. You can basically add lot of weight to the head and still swing easily.

Here are my 3 set-up for the ProStaff 6.0 (95).
No(2) is my prefer choice.

Prefer string gauge : 16 Gauge

1) Stock Version
57 pounds - better suit for those with fast but with medium compact swing style.
62 pounds - better suit for those with fast, long and loopy swing style.

Pros: good choice for all around game, but suit better for S&V due to eay to react at net.
Cons: Not stable when balls hit little off the sweespot. The head twist easily due to lack of mass.

2) 6 inches of lead tape on the head at 3 and 9 o'clock

57 pounds - good for those with fast but with fast medium compact swing.
62 pounds - good for those with fast, long and loopy swing style.

Pros: good choice for all around game, after tweaking it, well balance bewteen baseliner and S&V. Less hedlight but more power than stock version. Increase stability when balls hit little off the sweespot and side of the frame.
Cons: felt the additional weight put on the racquet during long rally.

3) 6 inches of lead tape on the head at 2 and 10 o'clock -

57 pounds - good for those with medium compact swing.
62 pounds - better suit for those with with medium compact swing and also long and loopy swing.

Pros: Increase stability when balls hit little off the sweespot and side of the frame. More power added on the frame. Better suit for basliner.
Cons: head heavy. slow to react when at net.

The above are just my personal experince, enjoy!