PDA

View Full Version : Dampened, low powered Swing weight 315 or less

ej
12-22-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm looking for a racquet that is dampened, low powered, with a swingweight at 315 or less. I played with a Wilson Ultra 2 largehead, than RD 7 (mostly). I'm looking for something lighter because I can no longer handle the weight. I prefer a dampened feel to minimize the shock from using stiff strings, strung tight. Any thoughts on what I should demo?

Ace Rimmer
12-22-2004, 07:41 PM
For really low power, low swing weight, high flex, and comfort, I have found the Dunlop 200G XL to fit the bill quite nicely. It is one of the few racquets that does not seem to need a vib dampener; however, it is so low powered that you have to smack the crap out of the ball to make it clear the net at times. It reminds me a lot of the Volkl C10 Pro Xtended. Other alternatives include the Yonex MP Tour-5 (more power but a little less control than the 200G XL), the Volkl Cat 10 (extremely comfy and spin friendly - I did not notice the trampoline effect that some have eluded to; is about equal to the MP Tour-5 regarding control and power), and the Volkl Quantum V1 MP (pretty cushy with more power and less control than the others listed). The ProKennex 5g might fit as well, but I forget what its swing weight is.

Dennis Chan
12-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Among the 30 or so rackets I've used, Head's Ti Fire Tour Edition has the lowest SW. If I remember right (sorry it's been so long) the SW is 309. It has been discontinued for a while so it's hard to find. However it has all the characteristics you're looking for - light, dampened, low power. Good luck.

Gaines Hillix
12-23-2004, 08:27 AM
The PS 6.0 95 is right on the edge of the swingweight you are looking for. I personally would avoid an extended racquet with a low swing weight. By nature they have a higher swing weight than a 27" racquet and in order to reduce the swing weight that much they have to make the racquet a lot lighter and make it very head light.

Craig Sheppard
12-23-2004, 11:11 AM
ej, your stick, if you choose to accept it, is the Fischer Pro Tour Extreme FT (formerly the Pro Extreme FT). It's about the lowest powered thing you'll find given its flexibility. It's very well dampened, one of the softest frames on the market. Good spin with the 16x18 pattern. And it's stock swingweight is only 314.

It's not a hard frame to maneuver around the court even though it's a heavy frame since it's very head light. The only problem is if you love a big sweet spot, it doesn't have that. I love the frame myself, but you'd have to demo it to see if you like it. But I tried quite a few frames with similar characteristics before settling on this one.

Craig

(Although the X1 is great too, but it doesn't fit your specs. So I have an extra-racquetal affair going on right now...shhh don't tell the Extreme)

Ronaldo
12-23-2004, 12:29 PM
The Volkl CAT 6 is a lightweight racquet with a SW of 299, 16x18 string pattern, 100" head, and is as comfy as any Volkl I've tried. Low-powered too.

BreakPoint
12-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Among the 30 or so rackets I've used, Head's Ti Fire Tour Edition has the lowest SW. If I remember right (sorry it's been so long) the SW is 309. It has been discontinued for a while so it's hard to find. However it has all the characteristics you're looking for - light, dampened, low power. Good luck.

Dennis, funny how you mentioned the Ti Fire Tour Edition because that was the racquet I used before I switched to the PS 6.0 95. Loved the Ti Fire TE for everything until I got tennis elbow due to it's light weight and was forced to switch. :(

I would recommend both, along with the Slaz. X-1. The PS 6.0 95 has a SW of 317 and the X-1 a SW of 316, but that's close enough to 315, and they do both swing very light. Both also have a dampened feel with the X-1 having a stiffer feel than the PS 6.0 95. Also try the Ti Fire Tour Edition if you can find one. If not, let me know as I may have one to sell. :D

hummer23
12-23-2004, 01:31 PM
the fischer pro extreme ft is a great choice in your caratogry. its fleixible comfortable and low powered. easy to swing as well. very solid stick.

monologuist
12-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Yonex MP Tour-5 or Dunlop 200g XL...or Prince Diablo MP

brtennis
12-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Estusa PBB.

Low swingweight and yet very comfy and stable

newbie123
12-23-2004, 05:47 PM
i second the fischer pro extreme ft

JoostT
12-23-2004, 10:27 PM