PDA

View Full Version : Fischer Match Maker

yip kok kuin
12-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Any one come across this racket. Suppose to be endorsed by Bob Hewitt but I don't know who he was. Is he a serve and volley? Is this racket flexible? No string on so can't try yet.

El Diablo
12-23-2004, 04:14 AM
A top doubles player from perhaps the 1970s.

TommyGun
12-23-2004, 06:52 AM
A long time ago, in the 1970's, Bob Hewitt (he is in the Tennis Hall of Fame) used the Matchmaker, which was Fischer's original composite. There were two models, one shaped like a traditional wood racquet and used by Hewitt's doubles partner and Hall of Famer Frew McMillan, and the open throated model, more like todays frames, used by Hewitt.

I surmise the frame will be very flexible, since most of the early frames mimiced the wood frames. If you email Fischer they can give you the original specs, and possibly even a picture of Hewitt using it. I know that in the 2004 Fischer catalog there is a picture of Hewitt and McMillan.

I hit with one in 1978. Don't remember much but I do remember that I preferred my Slazenger wood at the time.

joe sch
12-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Another classic early graphite frame made by Fischer. All of those rackets are very flexible to hit with and hefty by todays standards. One nice benefit with heavy flexible frames is that even when you are late in getting around, with the weight and flex, you can still muscle the stroke into play and the feedback does not hurt lilke on the light stiff frames of today. I like hitting this frame also and its more challenging with the smaller, more conventional sweetspot. These are great frames if you have arm problems or you want to increase your hitting strenght.

yip kok kuin
12-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Joe, which is better for serve and volley? matchmaker or superform? which is more flexible? tks joe

joe sch
12-24-2004, 06:50 AM
Yip, I would pick the Superform for a S/V racket. The matchmaker is more like a ps 60 which was more of a BL'er stick but fine in the hands of someone like sampras. I like to SV with a max 200g which is more like the matchmaker but its really a matter of what your use to and more players today would be able to better adapt to the Superform than the matchmaker.

yip kok kuin
12-24-2004, 06:59 AM
max200g! you just got the right name. I think that is the best racket so far for S/V. It is still my 1st choice. I got the St Vincent THING. But it is more hype than anything. So, I think I will get matchmaker setup and try. Tks. 1 more question. have you tried head composite edge? It is a very good S/V racket. Much better than the graphite edge which is a lot stiffer.