PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-Star Game

my_forehand
02-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Anybody going to watch?

Kobe's injured :( (http://www.nba.com/nba_news/bryant_injury_allstarpractice_080216.html)

Who do you think's going to get MVP this time?

my_forehand
02-16-2008, 07:32 PM
...Did anyone see the Sprite Dunk Contest?

Dwight Howard - Superman!!!

What he did was...god-like.

j30tennis
02-16-2008, 07:33 PM
...Did anyone see the Sprite Dunk Contest?

Dwight Howard - Superman!!!

What he did was...god-like.

I was just going to start a thread about the slam dunk contest. Howard is nasty

malakas
02-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm not a big fan of NBA bball but am watching it right now!
:)

my_forehand
02-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Malakas, you are lucky! This is like the best Dunk Contest.

Howard is a dunking GOD. His first dunk of the final round was craaazy!!

TokyopunK
02-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Blow That Candle OUT SON!!!!!!!!

j30tennis
02-16-2008, 07:51 PM
The close up shot for the cupcake dunk really made that dunk pop, both did some phenominal dunks. Howard was just that much better.

malakas
02-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Malakas, you are lucky! This is like the best Dunk Contest.

Howard is a dunking GOD. His first dunk of the final round was craaazy!!

78% agrees with you!:p

my_forehand
02-16-2008, 08:00 PM
78% agrees with you!:p

Officially ending All-Star Saturday :(

Kind of angry at Wade for messing up when dribbling, messed up his chances.

KoreanHB
02-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Come on Wade, how could you?
Howards first two dunks were amazing. He should've saved the superman dunk for the finale.

westside
02-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Dwight Howard IS Superman

The second he revealed the superman shirt was awesome.

East for the Win

my_forehand
02-16-2008, 09:56 PM
For those who missed it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3249865&categoryId=2378529

Even Magic has to stand up and salute the man of steel!

FiveO
02-16-2008, 10:01 PM
The NBA lost me some time ago. Playoffs can be of interest.

The All-Star game? Ehhh.

MJ was the last vestige of what I loved about the NBA.

Now I prefer NCAA round ball but even that loses its allure by mid-season--due super saturation--but then there's March Madness.

iradical18
02-16-2008, 10:06 PM
That was the best Dunk Contest I have seen in a long long time. Dwight Howard is sick.

PROTENNIS63
02-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Looks like Kobe will be playing after all.

malakas
02-17-2008, 08:30 AM
The NBA lost me some time ago. Playoffs can be of interest.

The All-Star game? Ehhh.

MJ was the last vestige of what I loved about the NBA.

Now I prefer NCAA round ball but even that loses its allure by mid-season--due super saturation--but then there's March Madness.

I also prefer the NCAA though here they air only a few matches unfortunately.:(
Though I know you americans underestimate it,try watch a bit the Euroleague.With atmosphere like that during the matches : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rMe2Vyb9E We do know how to play bball here too.:)

j30tennis
02-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I also prefer the NCAA though here they air only a few matches unfortunately.:(
Though I know you americans underestimate it,try watch a bit the Euroleague.With atmosphere like that during the matches : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rMe2Vyb9E We do know how to play bball here too.:)

Just look at the Olympics, the Europeans have proven to be very team oriented and have nice all around games.

FuriousYellow
02-17-2008, 11:19 AM
For those who missed it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3249865&categoryId=2378529

Even Magic has to stand up and salute the man of steel!

Too bad the clip doesn't show his third (double-tip) dunk. That one was sick!!!

I usually find the dunk contests boring, but every few years someone comes along and just amazes me.

my_forehand
02-17-2008, 05:22 PM
The All-Star Game is starting!!

my_forehand
02-17-2008, 05:22 PM
I wish I was there. The atmosphere and ambience is....wild.

boojay
02-17-2008, 05:48 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who thought that was one of the most awful dunk contests ever. D@mn you Vince of 2000!! You've spoiled me and because of that, nothing will ever reach that level of excitement.

I thought Howard's dunks were pretty ordinary. It's just not that impressive when the dunker is 7 feet tall and has a 9.5' reach. That's the equivalent of me dunking on a 7.5' net. And I can do better dunks on a 9' rim let alone a 7.5 one.

I really hope they scrap the dunk contest because this is just shameful. None of the dunks performed in the last few years is actually that hard. There's simply a gimmick attached to them (i.e. a Superman suit, blowing out a candle) more for comedic purposes, rather than actually making the dunk anything worthwhile.

Rickson
02-17-2008, 06:28 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who thought that was one of the most awful dunk contests ever. D@mn you Vince of 2000!! You've spoiled me and because of that, nothing will ever reach that level of excitement.

I thought Howard's dunks were pretty ordinary. It's just not that impressive when the dunker is 7 feet tall and has a 9.5' reach. That's the equivalent of me dunking on a 7.5' net. And I can do better dunks on a 9' rim let alone a 7.5 one.

I really hope they scrap the dunk contest because this is just shameful. None of the dunks performed in the last few years is actually that hard. There's simply a gimmick attached to them (i.e. a Superman suit, blowing out a candle) more for comedic purposes, rather than actually making the dunk anything worthwhile.

I thought you were 5'5. I don't think you could dunk a 9' rim too well at 5'5. Your reach is only 6'10?

boojay
02-17-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm not 5'5", and I can dunk on a 9.5' rim and grab a 10' rim.

Anyway, at this rate, James is gonna put himself in some rarefied air w/ His Royal Airness as being the only two players to put up a triple double during the All-Star game. Sick indeed.

my_forehand
02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Can't believe the East are winning.

boojay
02-17-2008, 07:01 PM

Temporary aberration.

While the first three and a half quarters are basically just fooling around, the East are playing the best they can possibly play. The West, on the other hand, are just playing so-so, keeping the score close. West will take it in the end, even without Kobe "The Hog" Bryant.

Noveson
02-17-2008, 07:03 PM

The dunk in your avatar was the lamest of all. He stole the superman idea from the college dunk contest, and he didn't even reach the rim. He just threw it into the hoop.

Noveson
02-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Although it makes an insane picture.

boojay
02-17-2008, 07:09 PM
The dunk in your avatar was the lamest of all. He stole the superman idea from the college dunk contest, and he didn't even reach the rim. He just threw it into the hoop.

If anything, Jordan's "Leaner" dunk was more Supermanesque than Howard's attempt. There really was nothing special about it. Without the costume, it's basically a two foot take-off from a foot or so inside the key and throwing the ball through the hoop. Big whoop. I would've given it a 42 max.

katastrof
02-17-2008, 07:09 PM

Couldn't agree more. I think people, including the judges are very good at getting behind any *hype*. A stadium full of people resemble a herd of sheep a little too much (I am not trying to bee too offensive or angry, but I think I made my point).

1) Was the Superman dunk technically a dunk, anyway? I mean come on, the guy just threw the ball in from above, & he couldn't really reach the rim. I doubt that's what he was going for in the first place, but since a few players nearby go "huaaaaa", so must everybody else.

2) The final dunk wasn't anywhere near special either. Everybody just knew he was going to get the trophy even before he attempted that dunk, & was happy to pretend Superman closed it out perfectly.

3) As overrated Howard's dunks were, the barefoot dunk was equally underrated. The only judge who argued this was booed by the crowd, which is another example of the above said herd behaviour.

Of course, when it comes down to it, it's all just a show & it's meant for entertainment. So, "who cares?" might be the most proper way to end this rant.

TokyopunK
02-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Things just got GOOD!

boojay
02-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Lebron put up the crazy stats, but the East won because of Ray Allen.

Say Chi Sin Lo
02-17-2008, 08:12 PM
DAMN!

LEBRON JAMES JUST DUNKED ON THE ENTIRE WEST LINEUP! ***** SON!

... but he's not the game's MVP... it was either Chris Paul or Ray Ray

boojay
02-17-2008, 08:17 PM
DAMN!

LEBRON JAMES JUST DUNKED ON THE ENTIRE WEST LINEUP! ***** SON!

... but he's not the game's MVP... it was either Chris Paul or Ray Ray

Totally agree. I was gonna say Chris Paul should've been MVP if the West had won. Allen was definitely MVP though. Lebron put up most of his stats during "garbage time" for an All-Star game. No doubt he had a couple of big buckets down the stretch, but Allen saved the East.

Hot Sauce
02-17-2008, 08:23 PM
LBJ! Almost the triple double.

boojay
02-17-2008, 08:24 PM
And as much as I love Dirk (he's currently my fave player over the past few years), he has a wonderful knack for choking during the big moments. His chokefest was on full display several times tonight.

Rickson
02-17-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm not 5'5"

OK then, how tall are you?

Noveson
02-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Brandon Roy should've got MVP.