PDA

View Full Version : Stormwolf: Newest member of the Prestige Classic 600 club

Stormwolf
12-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Hey guys, exams are done and I got to hit with my new Prestige Classic 600s (obtained in a deal with Julian Neaga). I must say they are EXCELLENT racquets. I made the transition to 18 mains from my POG Mids. Messed around with a LM Radical for a while, then some PT 280s and now I think I have THE racquet for me to use. I strung both with TiMO 18 - one at 56lbs and one at 57mains/54 crosses. They played great for about the first two hours. My serve is up at the 115mph range and the control is excellent (which says a lot for someone so dependent on kickers).
The strings went dead (even with rotating frames)... I think i'm looking for a replacement for the TiMo 18...I ordered some Bow 17g natural guy and I'll see how it plays - will maybe try some Gosen 17g syn. gut as well...Either way - the frames are solid performers that exceed all other racquets I've used before in most areas. Here's my mini-review.

Groundstrokes:
Spin was not too much of an issue on the forehand (partially since I'm using a full-western grip). Strokes were solid and the precision was surgical.

Volleys:
Excellent stability and control - hard shots were blocked effectively and with good placement. Punch volleys were solid and penetrating. Overall the PC 600 is much better than the LM Prestige Mid. in my opinion - far more solid and doesn't need any lead tape like the LM.

Serves:
Probably served my best flat serves ever so far. Kick was considerably less on the second serve than with the POG but that is to be expected - kick serves need extreme racquet head speed to be effective - flat serves are bullets.

Misc:
Maneouverability is very good with the PC with a reasonable 7-point head-light balance. It has enough mass in the head to be stable and enough in the handle to be comfortable. The stiffness seems ideal at about 60 - neither flimsy nor board like.

Any issues I might have had with the stick are due to the string...after being a long-time proponent of TiMo 18, I think it's time for a change.

I recommend the PC 600 as an excellent all-court racquet - possibly suited to more advanced players - although anyone who is serious about improving should try it (or the PS 85 of course).
I hope TW brings back the PC 600. I would definetly be interested
in buying a few more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

hedonist
12-23-2004, 04:17 AM
A European dealer sells the prestige classic for Euro 124.90 (10% if you buy 2 racquets). L2, L3 and L5 available at the moment. If you want to post your email here, I can send you the website.

Kirko
12-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Now you know. It is the best playing racket I ever used outside of the wood Kramer Autograph; in fact it plays alot like it. Except it is not wood and a little large {head size}. I got one a brand new a few weeks ago. I strung @ 52 lbs. V.S. touch gut 16 ga. My best friend switched to it 2 yrs. ago played NCAA Division I @ Rice University . He says it feels like an extension of his arm. That thing is THERE !!!!!

robbieb
12-25-2004, 11:39 AM
hedonist: could u send me the link please.

r0b_is@yahoo.co.uk

whozon3rd
12-25-2004, 12:35 PM
I'll ditto that address request, whozon3rd@hotmail.com

Stormwolf
12-25-2004, 04:04 PM
stormwolf_16XL@hotmail.com

^^^ :D

chad shaver
12-25-2004, 04:25 PM
borgesmemorioso@yahoo.com

For my own future reference....

robbieb
12-25-2004, 04:30 PM
heh hedonist is everyones favourite board member it seems :)

he deserves it tho ;p

Stormwolf
12-25-2004, 08:03 PM
Does anyone else want to share his/her experiences with the PC600? It really is a remarkable frame. Maybe with enough hassling we can get it re-introduced? (like with the POG LB 100) hehe.

robbieb
12-26-2004, 01:21 AM
I used to own a couple of those frames, but time went on and I seem to have the same angry tendancies as Bruce Banner. So all my pc600's got "hulk'd" at one stage or another.

I am a 4.5 all-court player who plays just short of a semi western forehand grip and an eastern grip for my back hand. Not only did it have control rivaling the ps6.0 85 (which I never found my groove with) but it also had good spin potential considering its dense string pattern, but you really need to have the mechanics in order to do that.

Serves had "sampras-placement" to them, good speed on flat serves, while could rotation on kick and slice serves. However once again mechanics are needed to get kick and slice due to the dense pattern.

Groundstrokes had rather sweet placement and power to them, almost like using a sniper rifle on a bucket of chickens - made the game seem a lot easier.

Volleys had nice pop and manuverability at the net was good enough for my game, however the volleys arent on the same level as the 85 or 6.1.

Many have tried to persuade Chris and Don at TW to bring it back but they honestly do not seem to have plans in the immediate future to ressurect this racquet.

Therefore I am waiting on hedonist to save me!
r0b_is@yahoo.co.uk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!>!>!>!

chazz
12-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Is there really a lot of difference between the Prestige Classic and the Liquidmedal Prestige Mid?

robbieb
12-27-2004, 09:40 AM
there is some degree of difference between the two, but that is due to the make up of the racquets; PC 100% Graphite , LMP mix of liquidgimmick titanium and pieceof**** electric fibres (i do like the LMP btw).

PC has a more purist feel to it.

perfmode
12-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Hey guys, exams are done and I got to hit with my new Prestige Classic 600s (obtained in a deal with Julian Neaga). I must say they are EXCELLENT racquets. I made the transition to 18 mains from my POG Mids. Messed around with a LM Radical for a while, then some PT 280s and now I think I have THE racquet for me to use. I strung both with TiMO 18 - one at 56lbs and one at 57mains/54 crosses. They played great for about the first two hours. My serve is up at the 115mph range and the control is excellent (which says a lot for someone so dependent on kickers).
The strings went dead (even with rotating frames)... I think i'm looking for a replacement for the TiMo 18...I ordered some Bow 17g natural guy and I'll see how it plays - will maybe try some Gosen 17g syn. gut as well...Either way - the frames are solid performers that exceed all other racquets I've used before in most areas. Here's my mini-review.

Groundstrokes:
Spin was not too much of an issue on the forehand (partially since I'm using a full-western grip). Strokes were solid and the precision was surgical.

Volleys:
Excellent stability and control - hard shots were blocked effectively and with good placement. Punch volleys were solid and penetrating. Overall the PC 600 is much better than the LM Prestige Mid. in my opinion - far more solid and doesn't need any lead tape like the LM.

Serves:
Probably served my best flat serves ever so far. Kick was considerably less on the second serve than with the POG but that is to be expected - kick serves need extreme racquet head speed to be effective - flat serves are bullets.

Misc:
Maneouverability is very good with the PC with a reasonable 7-point head-light balance. It has enough mass in the head to be stable and enough in the handle to be comfortable. The stiffness seems ideal at about 60 - neither flimsy nor board like.

Any issues I might have had with the stick are due to the string...after being a long-time proponent of TiMo 18, I think it's time for a change.

I recommend the PC 600 as an excellent all-court racquet - possibly suited to more advanced players - although anyone who is serious about improving should try it (or the PS 85 of course).
I hope TW brings back the PC 600. I would definetly be interested
in buying a few more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the cons?

whozon3rd
12-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Ok hedonist, what's going on? Haven't heard anything about a European dealer.

devilish_duke
12-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Let me get that website? BrianCYeh@gmail.com , thanks.

Stormwolf
12-27-2004, 03:41 PM
If I had to name some cons they would be:
It requires the player to know how to play tennis or have the desire to learn. It's not a racquet designed for people that are well into their senior years or unbelievably weak. Club hackers and hit-giggle players should stick with their "snowshoe" look-alike racquets with 120" heads and < 8 oz. weight. For someeone who is serious however about using proper technique and enjoying the game (bunting the ball past the service line with a jerk motion is not considered playing tennis) then I know of no other racquet that is better (granted I have not yet hit with a St. Vincent or Max 200G :wink: ).

The bottom line: The PC600 is a racquet that puts out what you put in. There is no free spin, no massive hitting area for obece individuals who don't watch the ball on contact, or 30mm frame to hit the back fence at 100mph (and snap your arm from the shock in the process). What you do get is stability, comfort, and predictibility of the stroke. For those who think that you can't get spin out of a Prestige Mid. just look at Safin - -> doesn't he have one of the biggest kick serves around? (not to mention with 16g string of course). Tennis, I would argue, has almost become a monstrosity at the club level. Juniors learn bad technique because their Pure Drives / Hammers give them no control or room to improve. Old hackers at the 1.5 - 3.5 level beat the ball around with rallies that last 2 or 3 balls {using their showshoes}- they look at 5.0s and say "heck I can hit as hard as they can, i'm a 5.0 too".

My advice to everyone that wants to play seriously: Get a prestige mid, prostaff 85, or anything else < 95 inches, or better yet, a wooden racquet and invest in lessons with a good, experienced teaching pro that will teach you good techique. Buying the latest techno garbage put forward by companies each year will give you nothing and money spent on the court {practice, lessons, etc.} will not only make you a better player but give you more enjoyment as well. Each racquet you buy costs about the same as 3 or 4 hours of lesson time with a good coach, or maybe 15 hours of indoor hitting with a partner?

A powerful racquet will not make you a better player. Granted, I've traveled a similar path. I too was a Pure Drive wielder once. From the Pure Drive+, to the Radical OS, MP, to the POG Mid., to the Pro Tour 280, to the Prestige 600. I switched racquets not to play better, but to become a better player.

By playing more often, taking enough lessons, and going to the gym (yes tennis requires physical conditioning), anyone can become a 5.0+ level player. There is no other way to improve - contrary to what the racquet companies want you to believe.

The fact is that the best racquets were made several years ago.
Mid-size, > 12 ounces, 55 - 65 flex, what more can you ask for?
Tennis is a game of skill - I like the prestige because it is a bit firmer than the PT 280, has a denser pattern than the POG, and has more heft than a Radical.

There is a massive amount of racquet models availiable to the player than ever before - of course because new models are introduced and old models can still be found. The truth is that newer models are rarely (I would almost say never) an improvement over their predecessors. Just look at the whole paintjob issue - the pros. seem to agree with me.

Hackers complain of tennis elbow - maybe {the protector} series of racquets will help ease their pain? - Don't count on it.
Racquets are made lighter, stiffer, and larger than ever before.
The trouble is that people are not playing real tennis with these racquets. Stepping into the club each time pulls me one step closer to supporting the return to wooden racquets.

OnyxZ28
12-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Funny, I thought the Radical Tour 260 and the PT 280 with i.Prestige CAPS both swung heavier than the Prestige Classic 600, whos maneuverability is downright uncanny for a 12+ oz stick.

Stormwolf
12-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Granted I only used the PT 280, the one without CAP grommets. I could get some massive spin out of the PT - though the PC is far more stable at the net. Net play seemed one of the few failings of the PT in my view - far too flimsy - granted I didn't play around with lead tape (and didn't want to) - the swingweight seemed a fair bit lower than the PC actually. The PC however is a far superior stick in my opinion.

Ray Wong
12-28-2004, 10:05 PM
there is some degree of difference between the two, but that is due to the make up of the racquets; PC 100% Graphite , LMP mix of liquidgimmick titanium and pieceof**** electric fibres (i do like the LMP btw).

PC has a more purist feel to it.

I remember the composition of PC600 are Graphite and Tarwon.

OnyxZ28
12-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Granted I only used the PT 280, the one without CAP grommets. I could get some massive spin out of the PT - though the PC is far more stable at the net. Net play seemed one of the few failings of the PT in my view - far too flimsy - granted I didn't play around with lead tape (and didn't want to) - the swingweight seemed a fair bit lower than the PC actually. The PC however is a far superior stick in my opinion.

Well, as far as the qualities of the PC go, you're preaching to the choir here. :D Maybe I felt the heavier SW of the PT280 because it's less aerodynamic then the Prestige Classic?

Loud
12-29-2004, 04:40 AM
They're both good...just different. I carry both in my bag.

Tenny
12-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Have you guys all voted for 'Team Head'? If not, please don't forget. Team wilson is the forerunner. I have a couple of questions.

I recently acquired Head Classic Mid (=PC600 if I understood correctly). I love the feel (pure, crisp, precise and so on). I am not an expert but I think the feel comes from 100 % Graphite composition (somehow similar with POG). First question is why CAP grommmet? It looks cool (different) but I just don't know why it is being used for the prestige line. Second, the found the head shape is odd. It's like a long egg, very long and narrow. More so than iPrestige (or is it simply higher tension on the cross?). How does it help its performance?

Tenny, amused with the classic.

devilish_duke
12-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Seems to me a lotta the PC600 users have played with the POG mid before. Can someone tell me those two compare to each other?

Stormwolf
12-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Glad to compare the POG Mid. and the PC600. The pog is hands down the winner in the cheap spin department. Topspin, sidespin, underspin, whatever spin you want it's easy to generate - even at slower swing speeds. The PC600 will not give you that free spin, however I find the spin is a little bit more predictable and I can be more precise with how much I want to put on the ball. Flat groundstrokes are more accurate with the PC600 due to the denser pattern. Net play goes to the PC600 - far more stability. Serves - again, flat serves are better with the PC600 whereas kickers will bounce higher with the POG. Overall - if you're playing on clay - the POG is a better racquet. If you're playing on grass/carpet - the PC600 will help with controling the pancake-flat strokes. If playing on hard-court like most of us do - both will suit you nicely depending on your style of game.