PDA

View Full Version : I need Help buying a new car

ibemadskillzz
12-23-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm going to purchase a new car. I need a sports car, that is fast and a good miles per gallon. It has to be new- 04 or 05 model. I have 25,000 to spend. I was think of getting the new Ford 05 Mustang. What other options do I have? I want a fast car. Do mercedes Benz make sports car for 25,000, how about BMW?
I think there are a lot of choices, I want to hear from everyone on this message board.
Thanks in advance.

atatu
12-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Well, cars are pretty personal things. I guess I still prefer foreign cars to domestic, I'd look at the Acura RSX, Nissan Maxima, Mazda 6, or Toyotat Celica.

ibemadskillzz
12-23-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm looking for a long lasting and strong engine. That goes fast. Is ford mustang a good one?

D-man
12-23-2004, 03:42 PM
My bro got a ford mustang gt & I thought it was pretty good. had lots of go. then he totaled it. so the insurance let him get another but only a regular model. i recommend forest/hunter green color, the 2nd one he got was black & dirt shows up too easy. give it a test drive, i bet you'll like it.

ibemadskillzz
12-23-2004, 03:52 PM
are you talking about the 2005 model?

D-man
12-23-2004, 03:55 PM
nope, is the 05 model very different?

K. Wilson Moose
12-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Spend a little more and this is your car. You could negotiate around $30,000.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2003/Nissan/100074348/008620-E.jpg

Nissan 350Z Performance Hatchback, room for your tennis equipment as well. And chicks will love it.

perfmode
12-23-2004, 04:35 PM
lol @ benz for $25,000

ibemadskillzz
12-23-2004, 04:57 PM
All new Benz are around 25,000 if you negotiate. jeez
Just another childish answer by perfmode

perfmode
12-23-2004, 05:22 PM
All new Benz are around 25,000 if you negotiate. jeez
Just another childish answer by perfmode

You can't get a decent Benz for $25K, period.

The cheapest Benz is the C230 Kompressor Coupe, starting @ $26,570 and it's a pos. Yeah it has the Benz name but it lacks all the true Benz features. If you can't afford to drop $50K on a car, you shouldn't mess with Merc's.

ibemadskillzz
12-23-2004, 06:38 PM
you're right perfmode. But did you see the C230 Sport Sedan? it's about 26,000, it looks sweet. take a look. What do you think? Do you think it's better than Ford mustang 05? here's the link http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/C230WZ.jsp

robstar
12-23-2004, 06:49 PM
It's not a benz, but ever thought of the Infiniti G35 coupe, it's nice and sporty, like a spiffy 350z. Probably in the ballpark pricewise. Or a Chrysler Crossfire, its pretty much a benz after all.

rob

Kirko
12-23-2004, 08:47 PM
G.T.O. My brother collects sportscars has a 1966 vette and a 1990 vette. He recently bought a G.T.O. @ $23,900; around 18,00 if you have a GM Caed. comes with a LS1 corvette V-8 manual . 2004 model. Man is it quick !!!!!!!

Kirko
12-23-2004, 09:04 PM
If interseted go to www.gtoforum.

don knot
12-24-2004, 07:07 AM
You could possibly get a BMW 3 series for around 30k-35k, with the sports suspension (2 door), this would be a lease program and payments would be around 500 a month. I have really enjoyed mine.

drakulie
12-24-2004, 07:32 AM
http://www.jdate.com/Applications/MemberProfile/MemberPhotoUpload.aspx (alt+p)

2001 Porsche Boxster S!

Craig Sheppard
12-24-2004, 08:28 AM
If you want a sporty car under 25k that has a strong engine and will last, take a look at the Acura RSX Type R. It's primarily a Civic underneath (bulletproof), but with a hi-revving 210 hp motor and upgraded suspension. It's not going to have the power of a big American V8, but it's quick, gets good gas mileage, and is fun to drive (great handling). It's basically the cream of the crop of small sports cars.

Craig

mach1
12-24-2004, 12:26 PM
In the26k-32k zone; Mazda RX-8, Subaru WRX STI, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, G35 or 350Z, Volkswagen R32. Those are the best, well the ones that i like in those price range that are sports cars with decent gass mileage.

Under 26k; RSX Type-S, Toyota Celica GT-S, Dodge Neon SRT-4, SUbaru WRX, Volkswagen GTI, Ford Focus SVT, Mustang.

Ok...so you want a car that is fast, but with good gas mileage. If you can go up to around 30k then you should do that. Any of the cars that I listed will make you happy, if you like going fast. The G35/350Z is a 2 seater and the others are 4 seaters. The STI, Evo, and RX-8 (kinda) are 4 doors.

If you cant to higher thaan 26 or 27, the base Evo is just shy of 28 so its worth considering because really fast=). Anyway out of the cars i listed, the fastest in a straight line are the Dodge and the Mustang. All the other ones can run circles around them on a twisty track. Haha with all of thest choices I think you have to go out on a test drive spree.

Its a hard decision, but one that I wished that I had. If it was me I'd get and EVO, or an STI in the higher price rance or an RSX Type-S in the lower range.

ibemadskillzz
12-24-2004, 12:48 PM
i'mma get a loud a** car like mustang with a big a** engine. I'm probably going to get a Stick- Manual, not a auto. I don't understand why people buy automatic. LOL. 2005 Mustang looks sweet to me. I don't like ricer cars like RSX, EVO, and etc.

mach1
12-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Oh ok lol...why didnt you say so earlier? So why dont you like 'ricer'cars? Well they arent really 'ricer' cars, but rather rice rockets. ricers are fools that put hella stickers and airplane wings on there ride lol...its so frieken ghetto and ugly and the other G word. I get annoyed by the word ricer because it ties ghetto a__ ugly cars with asians. Even if they are white, still called ricers. So what are you trying to say people, just because im asian and I eat rice that if you saw some wacked car you would think it would be mine.? :evil: Haha...Its not an attack on you Ibemadskillz. I use the ricer word sometimes too :shock:. I guess the only way to git rid of that word is shoot up every single ricer car with their 3 foot wings and hubcap spinners? lol

SOOO anyway back to the subject. The Mustang GT is the best muscle car that you can get for that money. I drive a stick...usually i like using it, I've gotten heel-toe downshifting down. Well sometimes i dont have it haha. The only problem with stick is that sometimes when youve had a hard day, youll wish it was an automatic. But I'd still rather have a stick shift overall. Have you seen the new Roush Mustangs? they're so sick. I didnt like the mustangs of old, but the retro styling is tight.

Well here is an article that you should read dude. These are the 2 muscle cars that you should be looking at. The newly updated GTO and restyled Mustang.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=8908

@wright
12-24-2004, 04:54 PM
I thought people called them "ricers" because the cars are asian, not the people.

mach1
12-24-2004, 06:01 PM
When a car is all ghettoed up, the people that owns the car is called a ricer. fast asian cars are called rice-rockets.

ibemadskillzz
12-24-2004, 06:22 PM
When a car is all ghettoed up, the people that owns the car is called a ricer. fast asian cars are called rice-rockets.

Mach1, thanks for your posts. I didn't mean to offend anyone bc I love every race. I meant Ricer= people who does a lot modifications to their car, I didn't refer it to a race or anything.
I'm going to take a look at the article- see what I can learn. Thanks for your posts.

mach1
12-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Ricer just has a negative connotation to it. when you say that that car is riced out or that guys a ricer means that they put unnecessary mods such as stickers, fat wings, and stuff that don't help the car go any faster but just to make it look fast LOL. You can make any car a ricer or whatever. You called only the rsx the evo and the other rice-rockets are ricer cars, though they do tend to be the ones to get riced out. But even the mustang can get riced out; just put hella stickers a fat wing, spinners, 2 different sets of wheels for the front and back,etc. heres what i mean:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ricer
@wright: I forgot to say that your meaning is what used to be...but now its more like what i said above and what is in the link.

The part i was ranting about was how the word is based on rice and when you think of rice the people you think of are asians, well i would assume. so ricer is a negative word and when you think of rice with that knowledge you think of asians again but this time negatively. Yeah that was basically it. Im sorry if i made you think I was mad at you or anything. Its all good. I use that word btw. Sometimes when i see people use a word wrong I just want people to know the meanin of it and use it right especially urban words.

Do you know how to drive stick already or are you going to learn on the mustang :shock:. Please say you know or you are going to learn with an old car. lol

Brent Pederson
12-25-2004, 06:47 AM
Mini Cooper type S. Like a skateboard with a rocket motor. And, built by BMW... Corners like it's on rails, too.

Craig Sheppard
12-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Brent, are they still putting insane mark-ups on Coopers S's? When they came out I lived in Santa Clara... they were going for almost 30k. That's like a 5k+ markup... I saw a 2 year old one at a CarMax, stilll wanted 25k. It was a great car, but I'd never pay that.

ibemadskillzz
12-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Mach 1, I'm actually going to learn on my mustang. My mother and my father knows how to drive on a stick, they will teach me. OR should I just get a Automatic? I mean automatics are slow? What do you think Mach 1? Maybe I should take a driving class. What are the pros and cons of stick- manual driving VS. Auto?
thanks a bunch

khs_tennis
12-25-2004, 03:40 PM
A great sports car, even though it is foreign is the Subura WRX. They come with an inline-4 DOHC and of course turbocharged. You can get the rally version, the STI, comes with an awesome intercooler that you can control if you want. The 2005 model is going for around 31,000 but you could find 2004s for around 25K. Even though it's a four-banger, it's definitely not a ricer. Pure rally and fun. Very high regarded cars. Have won many of WRC Championships in past years.

Deuce
12-25-2004, 10:06 PM
People who are in the market for a car and boast that they want "a fast car", and regurgitate this condition that it "must be fast" several times are almost always too immature to be on the road.

Add a name like "I be mad skillzz', and it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the area of one's maturity. Almost a sure bet that this will be a dangerous road ******.

David Pavlich
12-26-2004, 10:25 AM
I doubt that you'll find a 2005 Mustang GT for under 25K. The demand will be too high and the Ford dealers won't be dealing. However, I'd be willing to bet that you could find a new 2004 for a bargain.

If you don't want so much horsepower and a true sports car (2 seats), get a Miata. I just bought a 2005 and I really love it. It's like driving a slot car and it'll be under 25,000. It gets better than 25 mpg. The Mustang GT won't come near 25 mpg.

I'm not a fan of front wheel drive in a sporty type car. The front wheels have too much to do. That's why I haven't mentioned anything with FWD.

You might also consider a Certified Pre-owned vehicle. That would help you afford something like a late model 325 BMW or something along that line.

Addendum: How old are you? I should have qualified this post by saying if you are under 18, you have no business in this sort of car. You'll end up dead or killing someone else. I was 20 before I owned a high performance car (55 Chevy w/350 cuin/400 hp) and was still an idiot. Luckily, I didn't kill myself or anyone else.

David

ibemadskillzz
12-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks Deuce and David Pal. for looking out for me. I'm 18. I have been driving for about 1 1/2 years with my Honda Passport. I did not get in an accident once, I'm very careful about it. The reason why I wanted a fast car is because I wanted to drive something other than a truck, like a sedan, bc all of my family members like SUVs and of course I don't.
I'm not trying to get a fast car to show off or anything, I'm buying it since I'm heading off to a prestigeous university in America. And I really want to enjoy driving.

Anyways, I don't know if I should get an Auto or Manual? any thoughts on that?

Joe Average
12-27-2004, 10:47 PM
I'm with David and Deuce on this. I love driving. But I don't think the point of driving is getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Enjoying the scenery is part of the experience. Also, consider that the average driver, according to AAA, gets into an accident once every ten years. And, also, according to AAA, it takes about five years to acquire the necessary skills and experience to be considered an average driver. Kind of like becoming a 3.5-4.0 tennis player.

I don't know where you're going to college, but if snow in the winter is going to be a factor, don't get a rear-wheel drive. Also, a lot of these fast cars, really don't feel very fast under ordinary driving conditions. A Porsche at anything less than 60 mph will feel no different from a Volvo. Often, these cars require you to push them to 7,000 rpm just to get any of that "rocket" feel. And most people don't drive that way. Now, having said that, there are a lot of fun cars to drive. Performance cars ... not "appliances." Audis, a lot of the new Mazdas and Infinities. Acura makes some of the best front-wheel drive cars around. Japanese cars are much more reliable than European and domestic cars.

As for manual or automatic ... it depends on the car. I love manuals, because I like to feel I'm driving ... and I like to pay attention when I'm driving. But automatics are getting better. There isn't so much of that lag when the car is "shifting."

Don't get your heart set on a Mustang. I suspect there is going to be a long waiting list, and the prices will be jacked up. So, be really honest about how you'll be driving this car. You don't need a "boy rocket" to make lane changes comfortably. You don't need a car that can go from 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds to get you from one red light to the next.

Camilio Pascual
12-28-2004, 03:59 AM
ibemadskillzz - Girls like sports cars, women like Jaguars. If you prefer women, I suggest a used 1998 with the V8 and 6 speed auto. Good luck.

David Pavlich
12-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Manual transmission if you're looking for a sporty car. Of course, you can get a sedan with a standard, but the really hot ones are way out of your price range (5 series BMW, Audi S4, S6). I still vote for the Miata.

$25,000 price range keeps you from getting into a lot of the hot 2005 models. Again, look at certified pre-owned.

David

khs_tennis
12-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Automatic trannys are definitely getting better these days. Especially the German and other European cars such as BMW's senqential shift and sport shift. Hopefully the auto and senqential will filter to more domestic cars here soon.

David Pavlich
12-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Automatic trannys are definitely getting better these days. Especially the German and other European cars such as BMW's senqential shift and sport shift. Hopefully the auto and senqential will filter to more domestic cars here soon.

You will notice that Porsche's new supercar, the Carrera GT, is a 6 speed manual. That's how it should be.

David

tennisnoob
12-29-2004, 09:38 AM
A great sports car, even though it is foreign is the Subura WRX. They come with an inline-4 DOHC and of course turbocharged. You can get the rally version, the STI, comes with an awesome intercooler that you can control if you want. The 2005 model is going for around 31,000 but you could find 2004s for around 25K. Even though it's a four-banger, it's definitely not a ricer. Pure rally and fun. Very high regarded cars. Have won many of WRC Championships in past years.

WRX sucks big time!!! Even the STi version has its intercooler mounted on top of the boxer engine (that causes overheating most of the time!) which is again different from the car they use in the WRC (world Rally Championship), if you notice the WRX in WRC has its intercooler mounted at the front of the car instead of on top of its boxer engine! The Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR is by far the better car anytime, hell, i just smoked another STi and the Volvo S60R last week with my Evo 8 MR!

jayserinos99
12-29-2004, 10:17 AM
a fast car is nice, but just think of how much gas and insurance is going to run you. besides, if you want to go fast, get a sportbike.

BiGGieStuFF
12-29-2004, 10:43 AM
for 25K and an 04-05 that's fast you'll probably have to go used.

Quite a few cars you can choose from though.

American seems to be the way to go if you want blistering speed.

RX-8 04 used seems to be a good blend of both sportiness and practicality.
350z used would be around that ballpark as well
GTO but doubt you'll find used around that much as well. Possible though
Mustang but doubt you'll find a new body style going for that much.

How fast do you want to go?

ibemadskillzz
12-29-2004, 05:03 PM
David pal. I know you're one of the moderators at car and driver. I'm probably going to get the new mustang. Should I just get the auto? And what other sport cars are there that has 4 doors for around 25k?

Kobble
12-29-2004, 09:31 PM
I don't know much about all the specs. on many of the new cars, but my mechanic told me the Mitsubishi Eclipses are cheaply made. I don't remember what the specific engine problem was, maybe something to do with the turbo charger. Anyway, stay away from them, they can cost you unecessary repair bills. Personally, if I was serious about speed I would acquire the knowledge and build or modify my own. An old friend of my folks built a Roadrunner in high school to specifically outrun the police cars of the time. Needless to say, it worked. Unfortunately, the driver was caught after the incident. Another guy I knew from college modified a Nova as a strip/street car which sported over 400 hp. It definitely is the way to go, but not everyone has the tools, time, or money. Good luck with it.

Koz
12-29-2004, 09:51 PM
David pal. I know you're one of the moderators at car and driver. I'm probably going to get the new mustang. Should I just get the auto? And what other sport cars are there that has 4 doors for around 25k?

4 door models?

Mazda 6
Honda Accord
Subaru WRX

Those are probably what I'd look at if I wanted a sporty sedan under 25K. I heard the Mazda isn't all that quick though (heavy). The Accord (05) has some decent power, I think around 255HP, and the Subaru is All Wheel Drive and turbocharged, for 210-ish HP. My friend has the WRX and it scoots. As for manual vs. auto; it's up to you! I think a sporty car is much more fun to drive as a manual. If you live somewhere where there's lots of heavy stop and go traffic, then perhaps the auto would be more convenient, otherwise you'd probably get more driving pleasure with the stick shift.

mach1
01-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Yeah what Koz said in his last sentence. Here are some videos you should check out.

http://standardshift.com/videos.html

Vince
01-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Subaru Impreza WRX

khs_tennis
01-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Very true David. But i've noticed that Ferrari's are straying big time from the 6-speed manual. Yes, you can get the 6-speed model but it seems like they are advertising the paddle shift Ferraris more. The Lambos seem to be keeping the traditional 6-speed but the Gallardo has the paddle shift option, i think.

David Pavlich
01-05-2005, 01:52 PM

Get the 6 speed if you're going to get the GT. If you're getting the V6, get the 5 speed. The performance of the car is enhanced by a standard transmission. Who knows, you might want to try some autocross stuff some day!

There have been several suggestions for you as far as 4 doors go. All good ones, but as I said before, I don't care for FWD in a performance car. Try looking at something like a late model BMW 325/328 Certified Preowned if you want to get a nice performing sedan. It doesn't get any better than the current 3 series for the serious driver.

The WRX is a hot machine, but, quite frankly, it's ugly. And I don't think you'll find a new one under 25 grand.

I'm still a moderator at C&D, but it's in name only. I don't have the time to do the board justice.

David Pavlich
01-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Very true David. But i've noticed that Ferrari's are straying big time from the 6-speed manual. Yes, you can get the 6-speed model but it seems like they are advertising the paddle shift Ferraris more. The Lambos seem to be keeping the traditional 6-speed but the Gallardo has the paddle shift option, i think.

Yea, Ferrari has gone big time for the paddle shifter. It's had a lot of "research" (Michael and Rubins) and the process has been more or less perfected. Indeed, it does shift faster than a human can do it, matches the revs etc. etc., but I guess I'm just someone that likes heel/toe and the feel of the power oozing through the shifter!

BMW has the option and the Audi has come up with another transmission that is quite amazing. Gimme the good ole' stir stick!

David

khs_tennis
01-06-2005, 04:43 PM
David, do you know when the new Ford Shelby Cobra GR1 will hit the markets? Not that i have the money to buy one (not even close), but it'd be cool to see them on the streets. Any info on that car? That is one beautiful car.

David Pavlich
01-06-2005, 05:43 PM
David, do you know when the new Ford Shelby Cobra GR1 will hit the markets? Not that i have the money to buy one (not even close), but it'd be cool to see them on the streets. Any info on that car? That is one beautiful car.

The new Cobra won't begin production, if at all, until the new GT finishes its run (I believe Ford is stopping at 5000).

Price on the new Cobra is expected to be around $100,000. It will have incredible performance...probably better through the 1/4 mile than the GT. However, because it has such a blunt shape, drag will take over and the GT will have the top end over the Cobra. Even the 600 hp V10 can't overcome that much drag.

A lot of the suspension parts will be borrowed from the GT.

David

Koz
01-15-2005, 07:43 PM
I've seen a GT on the road on 4 different occasions (Live near Dearborn, where Ford HQ is). I can definately see how the GT would have a top end advantage over the Cobra. The thing is LOOOOW and so very sleek. One mean car for sure. Who's going to buy me one?