PDA

View Full Version : how often do you see this shot?... Kei versus Blake

35ft6
02-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Usually, you fake a drive in order to hit a drop shot winner, but Kei does the opposite, fakes a drop shot to slice/drive the ball past Blake. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YuKruexcE)

Maybe I've seen this done before, can't recall, but the fact they're both on the baseline is truly remarkable. This kid is a really smart and crafty player. Might be the first two handed player since Grosjean and Santoro that I enjoy watching. Can't wait to see what he does during the clay season, his favorite surface.

racquet_jedi
02-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Interesting...

This Nishikori-san is my new favorite player...

My dad was talking about doing something like this...

He said that he pretended to fake a drop shot to draw his opponent into going to the net, then he can pass him with a driving slice...

This could have been posted in General Pro discussion, btw...

goober
02-17-2008, 09:22 PM
This works because Kei dropshots quite a bit so Blake would be more likely to bite on the fake.

Some may say he dropshots too much ala Murray. Kei did some boneheaded drop shots against Querrey that cost him points.

35ft6
02-17-2008, 09:38 PM
^ True. He was hitting some really smart inside out drop shots, that's what allowed this trickery to work.

I think Kei might be one of my new favorite players. He's got a really interesting game.

Hot Sauce
02-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Very nice shot. I think I've seen Federer do it before too.

RestockingTues
02-17-2008, 09:53 PM

Come on, Federer's done everything :D

I have to admit though, i'm looking forward to seeing this kid play.

boojay
02-17-2008, 09:54 PM

Voila: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS9KyTPo0Wo

@ the 0:25 mark. A thing of beauty.........although that's redundant considering Fed's the one making the shot.

35ft6
02-17-2008, 11:00 PM
^ Fed was near the service line and still didn't hit a clean winner the way Kei did.

BreakPoint
02-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Kei Nishikori, Donald Young, and Andy Murray could be brothers.

I mean in their playing styles, of course. ;)

Lots of variety, plays smart tennis, can serve and volley, keeps their opponents off balance, hits both 2HBH and 1HBH slice, big forehands, quick movers around the court, etc. I find all three of them very enjoyable to watch. :)

Andres
02-18-2008, 02:49 AM
Usually, you fake a drive in order to hit a drop shot winner, but Kei does the opposite, fakes a drop shot to slice/drive the ball past Blake. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YuKruexcE)

Maybe I've seen this done before, can't recall, but the fact they're both on the baseline is truly remarkable. This kid is a really smart and crafty player. Might be the first two handed player since Grosjean and Santoro that I enjoy watching. Can't wait to see what he does during the clay season, his favorite surface.
Puerta, against Nadal, faked a forehand drive, and prepared a dropshot. When Nadal started running down, Puerta switched back, and gently tapped it over the net to one of the corners for a clean winner :)

I'll try to get a video of that. I have the whole match on DVD :)

lainey80
02-18-2008, 05:25 AM
Thanks for this. I only caught the last half hour of the game. Yes, Blake lost, some on here, lead me to believe it was just a beat down; this wasn't the case.

35ft6
02-18-2008, 09:14 AM
^ He also hit a really sweet jumping, scissor kick forehand winner. I should have posted that, too.

tbini87
02-18-2008, 11:12 AM
i don't see that shot often enough, imo. i am actually surprised that it isn't used more often (especially by people that like to drop shot often). i use it here and there (not as nicely as kei though) and it is semi effective for me. i actually probably just think i use it, but it has little effect on my opponent...

Racer41c
02-18-2008, 11:13 AM
This works because Kei dropshots quite a bit so Blake would be more likely to bite on the fake.

Some may say he dropshots too much ala Murray. Kei did some boneheaded drop shots against Querrey that cost him points.

Hold on a second. He may have made some bad drop shots, but how can you call them bad if they don't turn out? Does that mean you stop going for forehand winners cause you hit some out?

If the threat of a drop shot is present, does that mean your compromising on court position? are you a step in? Does that mean anything? :confused:

goober
02-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Hold on a second. He may have made some bad drop shots, but how can you call them bad if they don't turn out? Does that mean you stop going for forehand winners cause you hit some out?

If the threat of a drop shot is present, does that mean your compromising on court position? are you a step in? Does that mean anything? :confused:

Well did you watch the match? They were bad because he was not in position to hit them. One he was pulled wide on his backhand side and he tried an inside out dropshot off his forehand. The other his opponent was inside the baseline and in an attacking position.

Of course it doesn't mean you should stop doing them. There is such a thing as a right time to hit a shot and a wrong time. A low percentage shot versus high percentage. :confused:

Breaker
02-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Puerta, against Nadal, faked a forehand drive, and prepared a dropshot. When Nadal started running down, Puerta switched back, and gently tapped it over the net to one of the corners for a clean winner :)

I'll try to get a video of that. I have the whole match on DVD :)

3:51-4:17 here shows it, points starts at 3:29. I remember first seeing it and being stunned that he even tried something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3VDKUMP-B0

madmanfool
02-18-2008, 11:41 AM
3:51-4:17 here shows it, points starts at 3:29. I remember first seeing it and being stunned that he even tried something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3VDKUMP-B0

thank you sooo much..i was looking for this once, but i couldn't find it
i couldn't believe it actually, you got all this great points on youtube but this one was nowhere to be find. Guess i didn't look hard enough. Still remember the point as if it was yesterday.

35ft6
02-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Well did you watch the match? They were bad because he was not in position to hit them. One he was pulled wide on his backhand side and he tried an inside out dropshot off his forehand. The other his opponent was inside the baseline and in an attacking position.

Of course it doesn't mean you should stop doing them. There is such a thing as a right time to hit a shot and a wrong time. A low percentage shot versus high percentage. :confused:I'm not disagreeing with you, didn't see the match, but the drop shot, much like charging the net, doesn't have to result in a point won to be a smart play. You're planting things in their mind so you can set them up for something later, too.

hyogen
02-18-2008, 12:29 PM
anyone have a high quality copy of kei's match?

goober
02-18-2008, 12:31 PM
anyone have a high quality copy of kei's match?

do you have TTC? They already have replayed the final I think at least twice and will probably replay it again for the next week or more.

Rickson
02-18-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't think the fake out of a potential dropshot threw off James, it looks more like that hold of the shot to the last second threw him off. James couldn't read which direction KN was going with the shot.

35ft6
02-18-2008, 01:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3VDKUMP-B0That's sweet. Okay, so it's happened before. And to two of the fastest guys on tour, Nadal and Blake.

35ft6
02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't think the fake out of a potential dropshot threw off James, it looks more like that hold of the shot to the last second threw him off. James couldn't read which direction KN was going with the shot.You can clearly see Blake moving towards the net, the area Kei had been hitting drop shots all match long. Maybe you need to see the whole match to see why this happened.

Moose Malloy
02-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Maybe I've seen this done before, can't recall, but the fact they're both on the baseline is truly remarkable.

I've seen Mecir, McEnroe, Leconte, Pioline, Kuerten, Rios & Hingis do this before.

Can't wait to see what he does during the clay season, his favorite surface.

I recall Murray saying clay was his favorite surface at one point as well. I think Kei will change his mind on that once he actually gets to play a tour level event on clay.

Who knows if he'll even get a chance to play in the main draw of a clay event this year, I doubt the TD's in Barcelona or Monte Carlo will offer him a WC. I think he may opt to play challengers in the US in the spring rather than going to Europe to play qualies every week.

hyogen
02-19-2008, 08:40 AM
no i don't have TTC, i can go to my friends house and watch it i guess...

I downloaded it from t3nnis . tv last night. watched it :D

i'm pretty impressed

zapvor
02-19-2008, 10:49 AM
thats so fing good

saram
02-19-2008, 11:17 AM
He was in the zone and full of wonderful shots. I saw it on TTC, but wish I had gone to Delray and watched it live. The show he put on the last two matches was that of a player just in the 'zone'. I've never seen the fake drop shot pushed deep and in the corner like that. The mentioned jumping/scissors/forehand was a blast to watch as well! Love watching tennis when any player is in the zone.

quicken
02-19-2008, 11:38 AM
AZN POWAAAAAAAAAA... sorry i felt like saying that hehe

LuckyR
02-19-2008, 12:33 PM
AZN POWAAAAAAAAAA... sorry i felt like saying that hehe

This match and the tournament for him in general, has the flavor of Michael Chang at the French. Not to the extreme but in the general direction. These crafty young players can teach the top ten Pros a thing or two.

PROTENNIS63
02-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Very cool shot. He tricked Blake. He will be top 100 for sure by the end of this year.

hyogen
02-19-2008, 01:02 PM
He was in the zone and full of wonderful shots. I saw it on TTC, but wish I had gone to Delray and watched it live. The show he put on the last two matches was that of a player just in the 'zone'. I've never seen the fake drop shot pushed deep and in the corner like that. The mentioned jumping/scissors/forehand was a blast to watch as well! Love watching tennis when any player is in the zone.

i think i missed this. anyone have a link to this? like youtube highlight.