PDA

View Full Version : Lost Laptop= $54 million lawsuit

PROTENNIS63
02-18-2008, 09:56 AM
A woman is suing Best Buy for 54 million dollars. They lost her laptop that costs around $1,000. Link below:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/72016

Best Buy should've just payed for the loss laptop when it first happened.

zapvor
02-18-2008, 09:59 AM
yea. i read about this. hilarious. apparently they kept lying to her for liek 3months or something

Jonny S&V
02-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I've never been a fan of Best Buy (the prices are a higher then other places), but that is just ridiculous. If she wins the 54 million dollars, she will probably be set for life.

zapvor
02-18-2008, 10:01 AM
she said she isnt expecting the full amount....bbut yea

Moz
02-18-2008, 10:03 AM
If she wins the 54 million dollars, she will probably be set for life.

:confused: Yes, one would have thought so.

tzinc
02-18-2008, 10:06 AM
I think the problem is not losing it as much as the fact that they lied for 3 months about it. They need to be punished and then others who might do similar things won't if they know they too will be punished!

Jonny S&V
02-18-2008, 10:07 AM
she said she isnt expecting the full amount....bbut yea

Sorry, my post didn't come off as clear as I wanted it to. I'm on her side, and I want her to get the 54 mil. :)

Serve em Up
02-18-2008, 10:23 AM
That's exactly why we need tort reform. Tnis is ridiculous.

Best Buy now has to spends thousands in legal fees because of this woman's suit. True, Best Buy didn't handle it well.

The employees screwed up first m then management either didn't take it seriously or were tryng to cover up for their own errors.

She should have the laptop replaced along with a reasonable accomodation for the time needed to replace the data, information etc.

She should've had a backup disk of her data if she was smart.

The award should total no more the 50K.

angharad
02-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I think the problem is not losing it as much as the fact that they lied for 3 months about it. They need to be punished and then others who might do similar things won't if they know they too will be punished!

The big problem is the fact that they never filed the correct legal notice. By losing her laptop, they also opened the door on identity theft. They should have filed a notice to alert her to the fact that she was now at risk for identity theft. They didn't do that, so she went for 3+ months being entirely unaware of that, instead of being able to use that time to alert credit bureaus, sign up for a credit-watch service, change her credit card numbers, etc.

CanadianChic
02-18-2008, 01:58 PM
They certainly are negligent and they owe her a new laptop as well as damages. 54 million is a ridiculous figure for a few recipes and some saved e-mails. Seriously, it's not as though the state secrets were inside.

pow
02-18-2008, 02:06 PM
She deserves the 4k but best buy deserves a hard learned lesson.

Mick
02-18-2008, 02:07 PM
her lawyers will get a considerable amount of that money, if she wins.

i think in the end, bestbuy will settle the case out of court.

35ft6
02-18-2008, 02:07 PM
That's exactly why we need tort reform. Tnis is ridiculous.

The award should total no more the 50K. She's not going to get that much. Don't worry about it. Frivolous lawsuits come from all sorts of places:In October, after a trial in Minnesota -- the first time the industry has made its case before a federal jury -- Jammie Thomas was ordered to pay $220,000 to the big record companies. That's $9,250 for each of 24 songs she was accused of sharing online. It seems like individuals abuse the system, but we should err on whatever side we need to in order to maintain proper consumer protections since the other side, the big businesses, don't necessarily need to go through the regular legal process to get what they want, they can just pay politicians to change the rules. And they're the ones that want tort reform.

yodudedudeyo
02-18-2008, 02:14 PM
The sum of the $54 million is right in my book. If it was just a lowly 4k, people wouldn't know about the case and it wouldn't be posted on message boards like this! Best Buy made a mistake, a big one, and the only way for people to know about it is by cases like this. Surely if this didn't happen BB would keep on making mistakes like this, and we can't have that.

Steve Huff
02-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't know if $54million is going to get awarded, but Best Buy deserves to get slapped heavily--and I mean for over a mil. You can't just lose people's personal data, then casually say "sorry". Then, they tried to treat her like that. They deserve a big lawsuit.

Geezer Guy
02-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Say she wins 54 million.

Taxes take half, leaving 27 million.

Lawyers take a third leaving 18 million.

Loser relativies pop out of the woodwork, let's throw them 8 mil.

10 million left, gotta have big house and lots of new toys - how come we only have 3 million left?

Couple of big vacations, spend some time at the craps table, down to half a mil.

OK - lets stretch that half a mil out. Oops, gone in two years.

Gotta find someone else to sue.

power_play21
02-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Say she wins 54 million.

she is representing herself

Dont think so, no one is stupid

10 million left, gotta have big house and lots of new toys - how come we only have 3 million left?

Which puts her at 27 million, of which if she spends 7 in 10 years, she has 20 million giving 5% a year, thats 100 grand a year, just from interest.

forzainter
02-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Say she wins 54 million.

Couple of big vacations, spend some time at the craps table, down to half a mil.

I get 54 million and Monte Carlo is my new official residence:)

Azzurri
02-19-2008, 08:09 AM
FYI: This case is NOT in court. Anyone can sue anyone for ANY money, but will it be accepted in court by a judge is the question. This is different than small-claims court where you just have to pay the fee to be heard. This is a different situation because of the amount, so a judge could find no basis for the lawsuit.

power_play21
02-20-2008, 06:01 AM
i doubt she is going to get even 1 million

Azzurri
02-20-2008, 07:08 AM
first off she would have to prove some type of damage. She filed it herself...yes? No lawyer? That says enough. these speculations on this thread are silly.

PROTENNIS63
02-20-2008, 09:17 AM
She asked in the beginning for like 2k or so. Now she wants 54 million. Although her chance of winning is slim, let's just say she would win, Best Buy would think back to the offer she made for 2k and regret it. They should give the best laptop for free plus several gift cards and free warranty on the computer.

CAM178
02-20-2008, 09:29 AM
That's exactly why we need tort reform. Tnis is ridiculous. Best Buy now has to spends thousands in legal fees because of this woman's suit. True, Best Buy didn't handle it well. The employees screwed up first m then management either didn't take it seriously or were tryng to cover up for their own errors. She should have the laptop replaced along with a reasonable accomodation for the time needed to replace the data, information etc. She should've had a backup disk of her data if she was smart. The award should total no more the 50K.
Good post. I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately for Best Buy, this will be tied up in courts for a while, I fear. This will probably cost Best Buy well over $250K, when all is said and done. All they need to do is issue her their best laptop loaded with everything, and a check for $50K. I'll take a $55K loss over a $250K+ loss any day.

Mr. Blond
02-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Say she wins 54 million.

problem with your calculations is the lawyer takes their 30 percent prior to paying taxes. so she will actually get less..

Azzurri
02-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Good post. I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately for Best Buy, this will be tied up in courts for a while, I fear. This will probably cost Best Buy well over $250K, when all is said and done. All they need to do is issue her their best laptop loaded with everything, and a check for $50K. I'll take a $55K loss over a $250K+ loss any day.

LOL...did you read my posts. It will NEVER get into a courtroom. BB has lawyers on retainer. The money they offered her is basically what it would cost them to file with a judge to request him/her to throw out this frivilous lawsuit. Also, it was FILED. That means NOTHING. It may never even get to a judge in the first place. It will not cost BB 250K...where did you get that # from?

This really is a stupid thread and all the ignorance on here is mind-numbing. Not one of you know anything about procedure and how a case even gets to trial (or judge). So please stop the nonsense. This thread has run its course.

edberg505
02-20-2008, 02:45 PM
LOL...did you read my posts. It will NEVER get into a courtroom. BB has lawyers on retainer. The money they offered her is basically what it would cost them to file with a judge to request him/her to throw out this frivilous lawsuit. Also, it was FILED. That means NOTHING. It may never even get to a judge in the first place. It will not cost BB 250K...where did you get that # from?

This really is a stupid thread and all the ignorance on here is mind-numbing. Not one of you know anything about procedure and how a case even gets to trial (or judge). So please stop the nonsense. This thread has run its course.

Please, just calm down. People are just discussing the article. Is there anything wrong with that? If you are a lawyer or a paralegal then please enlighten us but don't belittle the people on this thread who are just talking about the article. As far as the 54 million dollar lawsuit, well if anyone took the time to read the actual article then they would have seen where she got the 54 million dollar amount from in the first place. I have to say, I would be as mad as a wet hen if they pulled this crap with me, especially while in the middle of writing my dissertation. Now, I don't know just how much important information she had on her laptop as far as her work and such. But Best Buy seems to have taken this lightly and that is what ****es me off, especially since I've dealt with those clowns for similar reasons. She even has quotes from an email that the manager of the Best Buy allegedly sent her and having read that I can understand her reason for the lawsuit.

Azzurri
02-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Please, just calm down. People are just discussing the article. Is there anything wrong with that? If you are a lawyer or a paralegal then please enlighten us but don't belittle the people on this thread who are just talking about the article. As far as the 54 million dollar lawsuit, well if anyone took the time to read the actual article then they would have seen where she got the 54 million dollar amount from in the first place. I have to say, I would be as mad as a wet hen if they pulled this crap with me, especially while in the middle of writing my dissertation. Now, I don't know just how much important information she had on her laptop as far as her work and such. But Best Buy seems to have taken this lightly and that is what ****es me off, especially since I've dealt with those clowns for similar reasons. She even has quotes from an email that the manager of the Best Buy allegedly sent her and having read that I can understand her reason for the lawsuit.

Its mind numbing when you provide information and people just yap, yap, yap about something they have no clue about. sorry, but that just bugs me. This is a tennis forum anyway. I know how she got the 54 million, but that is not what I was trying (more than once) to inform the ignorance on this thread. Also, its a one sided story, so its annoying how dimless people can be. I know why so many posters complain about all these teens on the board just make it hard to have an adult conversation.