PDA

View Full Version : Head i-Radical vs Volkl Tour10MP vs POG vs Head i-Extreme

AndrewD
12-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Just weighing up the pros and cons of the four mentioned frames and was wondering if anyone had feedback on them. Due to budgetary limitations I can't go for most current range 'upper bracket' racquets (they're ludicrously more expensive here in Australia and I have to factor in shipping if I buy from TW) although have disliked all of the Prince and Wilson I've trialled so far.

Played the other day with a Head LM Radical, quite liked it and was told by a coach who was watching me that it was the sort of frame I should be looking at -not over powerful, good heft, nice touch etc. Despite recommendation of a Volkl V1 Classic by NoBadMojo I have left it out as it comes in around the $300 mark. Thought the Tour10MP might be a reasonable option.

I prefer a more traditional feel to a racquet, as you can see by the choices, and have limited my budget to $120 US or less. The i-Extreme was thown in as a very low price wildcard option.

Any feedback or other suggestions would be appreciated. Also would like to hear from any fellow Aussies who have bought from overseas on the good and bad of buying that way.

thejackal
12-23-2004, 07:01 PM
I Rad (only racket above I can comment on, been using one for the past summer):

Cons: Doesnt play well in stock form (too light-needs lead at 3 and 9 for good shot depth), weak spin generation, less power than LM Radical

Pro: Basically everything else :wink:

AndrewD
12-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks Jackal. Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement so I'll put that frame to one side for the moment.

The way things are going, finding a racquet I like and not having to pay a ridiculous excess I might have to convince my girlfriend that a trip to the States is just what we need and then conveniently book in next door to a well stock pro-shop where i can demo some frames for a week and buy at a respectable price :D lol

ej
12-24-2004, 11:49 AM
I play with an RD7 mostly; however, the shop I work at has Head, so I've hit with the I extreme. Very surprised how smooth and solid this frame felt. It is wonderfully low powered. Stringbed has a very even response. Felt ten times more cozy and stable than, say, the 300g. Granted, I gave it a very friendly, soft stringjob. Great platform. I played against pace and discovered it not ot be too light...very interesting.

moosryan
12-24-2004, 02:33 PM
if you liked the lm radical, just go ahead and get it!

here's a link to my review:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=25921

EDIT: just saw the budget thing, i don't know what to reccomend, but i'd stay away from the i tour, sounds like it would be too powerful for you. Now that I think about it:

Definitely look at the Wilson Pro Staff Tour 95. It takes a lot of crap here, but i think its a good stick. only 119.95 also!

AndrewD
12-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks moosryan. If I had the easily disposable cash I would just grab the LM radical and maked do with it until I find something I really like. Its not 100% what Im looking for but has been the best of a sorry bunch that I've tested (tried all the Princes bar the NXG and CLassic, the Volkl and Babolat PD yesterday and a big thumbs down to all), still would rather just buy when I find something that suits all parts of my game (find the LM a little sluggish at net although with great touch). My worry now is that there's bugger all on that market that has that solid traditional feel.

Will definately look into the ProStaff Tour 95. Read the TW review which wasn't exactly glowing but will give it a try if its available here.

On the price issue, I had a look for the LM closer to where I live and its marked at $400AUS. Thats roughly $300 to you guys in the States. Pretty ridiculous eh?

AceRbn15
12-24-2004, 06:39 PM
I'd say the iextreme is a real underrated racquet. Actually, if you can get past its light weight, or just put some lead with it, you're set. It is at least worth a demo if you can find one.

Fantoro
12-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Hey Mr D.,

Cannot really comment on the racquets you're looking at only that I played with Tour10Mp and found it too flexible...I currently play with a iprestige mp (TW at US$124.50) and this bat does it for me...BUT...that's me only. Have a look at some good strings too from TW as it will make a huge difference to your game (and your budget). I use Tecnifibre NRG 2 1.28mm. great for spin/durability.

Now as far as shipping, I have bought 8 racquets from TW and all I can say is don't bother using fedex because they will sting you on the duty. My recommendation is to keep the invoice value low - say around AU$300 max. (good for you tight budget anyway) and use the U.S postal services.

The packaging delivery times and tracking are great from TW. No problems there.

AndrewD
12-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Thanks Fantoro. Got a bit of that information in another question and was told that you need to keep the orders down under 250 so not to incur the Customs Import Duty.

You're in Melbourne, so have you seen anywhere selling the Prince Original Classic? If you have, any ideas as to price?

Fantoro
12-28-2004, 07:35 PM
As far as the Prince O.G, no sorry, do not know...but serve and volley in Balwyn may help you, speak to Jose.