PDA

View Full Version : Mopeds...

tbini87
02-18-2008, 12:08 PM
just wondering if anybody around here uses (or has used) a moped to get around town. i am going to Chico St next semester (which is a college town) and was wondering if a moped would be a decent means of transportation. feel free to leave any comments (the good and bad about them, quality products... anything that will be useful).

Kevin T
02-18-2008, 02:16 PM
I can give you a joke about mopeds!! Hooking up with fat chicks is like riding a moped...oh so fun but you don't want your friends to see you do it. Muahahahahaha!! :)

yodudedudeyo
02-18-2008, 02:23 PM
I think mopeds are cool. Some can go up to 60 mph, which is good enough to take on the highway, though it's not safe on the highway at all. It also gets good gas milage, like 80 miles per gallon or something like that? Cheap too. Definitely worth riding in the summer. I actually thought about renting a moped to pick up my prom date. Then i realized being funny wasn't worth having a ****ed off date.

iradical18
02-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Mopeds are awesome. If you want to see, just take a trip up to UC Davis. Bikes and Mopeds are everywhere. I'm not sure if Chico is as bike friendly a place as Davis (but then no where else is) but I'm sure you'll enjoy the money you save on gas. Check these ones out.
http://www.vespausa.com/Products/GTS.cfm

scotus
02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
I think mopeds are cool. Some can go up to 60 mph, which is good enough to take on the highway, though it's not safe on the highway at all. It also gets good gas milage, like 80 miles per gallon or something like that? Cheap too. Definitely worth riding in the summer. I actually thought about renting a moped to pick up my prom date. Then i realized being funny wasn't worth having a ****ed off date.

Unless you want to get a license plate and a special driver's license, mopeds are required by most states to have a speed-limiting device installed to keep the top speed under 35 mph.

tbini87
02-18-2008, 04:14 PM
thanks for the info guys. i was definitely against getting one at first... but might come around to the idea after all. Chico is pretty bike friendly. most students ride them to class (or walk, or take the bus). i wouldn't even think about getting on the freeway with one. just for getting around.

Craig Sheppard
02-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Is there any reason you were looking at mopeds instead of scooters? I think 50cc scooters and below are exempt from a lot of licensing restrictions as well... might suit you as well. We might be talking about the same thing, different terms? I think of mopeds as the old school ones with pedals. Scooters are cool, if I lived in a city or a place where things were close, I'd get one (I have to commute about 50 miles round trip each day though).

Would definitely encourage you to ride a bike first though! Better for the environment and yourself! A bicycle's engine can run on all sorts of fuel, like bananas and pasta and... totally Mr. Fusion from Back to the Future... heh ;-) And will be better for your tennis!

Spector
02-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Get a motorbike instead....you'll have more fun.

tbini87
02-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Is there any reason you were looking at mopeds instead of scooters? I think 50cc scooters and below are exempt from a lot of licensing restrictions as well... might suit you as well. We might be talking about the same thing, different terms? I think of mopeds as the old school ones with pedals. Scooters are cool, if I lived in a city or a place where things were close, I'd get one (I have to commute about 50 miles round trip each day though).

Would definitely encourage you to ride a bike first though! Better for the environment and yourself! A bicycle's engine can run on all sorts of fuel, like bananas and pasta and... totally Mr. Fusion from Back to the Future... heh ;-) And will be better for your tennis!

i think we are talking about the same thing, diff terms. i am sure i will be riding my bike around a lot (especially to class and back) but am thinking about a scooter for farther distances (like friend's houses, get togethers, work, etc). i used to ride my bike to when i coached a frosh baseball team 8 miles each way (and both up hill, of course!).

Vitaly Evchenkov
02-19-2008, 10:32 AM
i had a cool little scooter... an Aprilia SR50.
although I was made fun of by my friends, and flicked off
by scary Harley guy, it changed how i saw my town.
(that Scooter joke is hilarious Kevin T... that is exactly what is like...)
i found side roads i never would've used before, and a lot of shortcuts
that kept me off the highways.
also, you realize how dumb most of US transportation is.. when everybody around you is in some giant vehicle and trying to pass you, but you end up (due to traffic lights) getting to the grocery store at the same time anyway.
anyway, parking anywhere I wanted to was great... and it was nice to slap a lady friend on the back of it and cruise... slowly... to a coffee joint or to dinner on a nice night.

BUT, it got stolen out of my garage recently... and Scooters are constantly stolen, so be prepared for the aggravation. My town is a little too hilly and overrun by SPEEDING HUMMERS for me to get another one. Riding a scooter isn't that dangerous, IF a lot more people rode them (like in Europe) and the other cars around you were Minis or Smart cars (like in Europe). Watching the Chevy Avalanche in your rearview mirror and PRAYING that it sees you and stops is not the best feeling.

I used to take it out on warm summer nights and just cruise around when the streets were empty and it was fun.

Oh yeah, mine got 100mpg and I NEVER had to take it in for ANY service. Started up like a champ every time.

Kevin T
02-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Vitaly! It's one of my personal faves, as well. I would absolutely ride a scooter but not a moped. I've lived in beach communities for 7-8 years and just got back from Hawaii. If you can avoid major roads and stay on city streets/side roads, there is nothing better for getting around town. The Harley reference is funny. Most TRUE biker/Harley guys are down to Earth, solid dudes but many are noobs. I hate nothing more than to have a pack of Harleys riding along the beach, polluting the day with all that ridiculous noise. Makes me wanna shove bananas in their exhaust pipes.

goober
02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Get a regular bike- it will work out your legs better :)

max
02-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Not to sound kranky, but in my experience, once you build up your legs a bit, it's pretty easy to get around a modest size community by bike with not much exertion.

It's a matter of building up your legs a bit. Riding a bike around town is fun and really helps your flexibility! :)

retrowagen
02-19-2008, 12:58 PM
I attended CSU Chico in the early 90's myself.

It is (was?) generally not as "bike friendly" as the city of Davis. The CSUC campus is on the edge of the downtown area, and there is (was?) plenty of bike parking on campus. The problem is that things like grocery shopping have to happen a few miles away from campus. A moped might help; then again it might not. I got by with a mountain bike, some serious raingear (for the winter months), and a hardcore attitude. A six pack slung off one handlebar end, and a box of Tide on the other... good times. A fun place to be, though. A really cool college town vibe overall - but an island of culture and (moderate) action in a very large and calm sea of space - Sacramento is over one hour away, and the Bay Area like three hours' drive...