PDA

View Full Version : Home racquet paintjobs are no good?

CliffH
12-23-2004, 09:53 PM
I saw a post mentioning that home racquet paintjobs were no good?

Would like to know more about what people have tried?

moosryan
12-24-2004, 07:07 AM
they may not look quite as proffesional, but all you have to do is use paint remover to strip the paint and then spray paint it. yes it will add weight though, but it should be evenly distributed. if you want more protection, you could spray a coat or two of clear coat like polyurethane.

rich s
12-24-2004, 08:00 AM
it won't add weight if you strip the factory paint and graphics prior to painting it yourself.

THE ANIMAL
12-24-2004, 08:33 AM
You could also air brush it on and probably end up weighing less. Or exactly the same depends how good the air brusher is, and end up with a very nice job.

perfmode
12-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Why are you people so anal about weight? Pretty soon we're going to start weighing our racquets while taking altitude into account.

Where's my foil-head smiley when I need him??

StringBreaker
12-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Why are you people so anal about weight? Pretty soon we're going to start weighing our racquets while taking altitude into account.
Why are you incapable of posting anything useful/interesting?

tennisboy87
12-24-2004, 10:35 AM
I would never, ever try to repaint my racquet. Why are so many people trying to do this? Does it really matter that much what colors are on your racquet? If it plays good for you, imo it will look beautiful no matter what. It just seems like trying to repaint your racquet would be very hard, costly, and messy to do, not to mention you could screw up the racquet's playability. It's also not going to look as great as when the racquet was painted by the professionals at the racquet factory. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

CliffH
12-24-2004, 06:25 PM
You are totally right, TB, however I have hand sanded and painted/chromed/powdercoated/electroplated/ballpeened/sandblasted/airbrushed/waxed custom cars and parts, which was a total waste of hundreds of hours of personal time and want to know if some likewise sick individual has a system to paint racquets with no sweat :!

I have no doubt I could do a custom six pack of sticks to die for! Hey, not to mention how cool my new 6.0 95s will look painted like ncodes. :twisted: Watch an opponent figure that one out.

If that sounds like blasphemy, take a look at the puke green Wilsons for 2005 and tell me a coat of black semi gloss lacquer wouldn't make them a lot easier to stomach :shock: Oh, lest we forget other uuggllyy wilson beasts of late :mrgreen:

As Sampras said(?) the only sensible colour for a racquet is black :wink:

Ronaldo
12-24-2004, 07:51 PM
CliffH, does the paint hold up when using the racquet? No cracks? Want a pearlized, cranberry red, M1 with my name in goldflake, and about 10-18 thin coats of ultra-wet clearcoat, yesterday