PDA

View Full Version : Leaving PS 85... advice for the next racquet!

Fede
12-24-2004, 02:17 AM
Hi everybody, I'm a new user and would like to have your feedback about a racquet change.
I'm 32, I play 2/3 times a week, eastern forehand and backhand (one h.), good serve and volleys.
I have been using the Wilson PS 85 for the last 10 years, and I think is one of the best racquet ever made. As you already know it is excellent but too demanding.
I wish to change for something with a bigger sweetspot, but would retain the classic feeling and control.
I think the choice should be within these racquests:

Dunlop 200G
Head i.Prestige MAP
Volkl Tour 10 MP or C10
Yonex MP-1

What would you suggest? Have you others to include in the list?
I don't mid low power, but I would retain control, feel and a good weight.

Thanks, Fede

intense2b
12-24-2004, 05:02 AM
Thats easy...you are describing the wilson Ncode 6.1 90 inches. You should string this puppy only with gut.....for some reason this racquet performs better with gut than with any other string. I usually use a poly...but this racquet just performs better with gut.

Demo's dont workwith this racquet either because gut is way too expensive and therefore no demo's are strung with gut. I was forced to buy this racquet to truly playetest it. I strung it up with gut and I played about six sets with it. I found it to be the greatest serve and volley racquet that I have ever played with...however, I like my current stick better for my purposes....but if you like the 85 then the ncode 6.1 90 is your closest choice. That being said...want to buy my 6.1 its already strung with gut!

jjjosh
12-24-2004, 08:31 AM
intense2b,
if Fede is not interested in your ncode 90 I am if it still available, email me price and grip size
clockpillow@hotmail.com

Flatspin
12-24-2004, 08:45 AM
My racquet of choice was the PS 85 for years. I spent alot of time before I switched to the i Prestige mid. I found the i Prestige mid closest to the PS 85 with some extras. The i Prestige has a larger sweet spot, slightly more powerful. However, ball control remains excellent. The i Prestige mid has turned out to be my favorite frame of all time. For me, the i Prestige retains all the characteristics that I loved about the PS 85 but is more forgiving. Plays best strung between 54-58lbs. Tried polys but they made the frame to harsh. A good grade multi or synthetic gut works well. Ex. Technifiber NRG2, B-Phase, NXT, Livewire, Laserfibre supreme etc. Bobolats Powergy 16 is my personal choice. Multis wear well in this dense patterned frame. An advanced players frame. String movement minimal. Excellent frame but has to be tuned to your liking. Takes some commitment to become used to the frame and unlock it's potential. Good luck!

StringBreaker
12-24-2004, 09:34 AM
My advice, stay with the PS85. If you've played 2/3 times a week with it for 10 years, then you should know how to weild it, and no other racquet will give you the same feeling but with a larger sweetspot (unless maybe you break into Roger Federers house and steal his custom PS).

From todays choice of racquets, ncode 90 is as close as you are gonna get, but they are still very very different.

drakulie
12-24-2004, 10:10 AM
I have a 90 Ncode if anyone is interested. I got it as a present for Christmas, but will never put it to use. Email me at drakulie@aol.com if interested.

BreakPoint
12-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Fede,
You may also want to give the PS 6.0 95 a try. Same composition and construction as the 85, so very similar feel, just a bit lighter and easier to swing, and a little more forgiving. You can do a search of this board for the PS 6.0 95 to get some other opinions of it, too. Good luck!

loubapache
12-24-2004, 01:28 PM
intense2b:

I am interested in your Ncode Tour. e-mail condition, price, and grip size to bolou@charter.net

Thanks,

CliffH
12-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Nothing plays like a wilson prostaff except a wilson prostaff.... if you don't count the racquets that wilson makes that are clones for other company's racquets. :?

You have to try the ncode90, correctly known as the ncodetour.

It is vey nicely balanced to match your 85. You can probably switch
with no effort.

However, depending on what you plan to do with your game, you owe it to yourself to try the tweeners like the pure drive or surge and not to mention the ncode6.1 95, just so you have tried them.

The original 6.0 95 is so sweet & so much easier to use, I will probably sell my four ncodetours (4 1/2) which have gut in them, very reasonably soon if it works out.

In your case, the ncode90 will be a similiar experience for you since the ncode90 is so much easier to use than the 6.0 85 and other racquets might be too big a jump.

However, some of my wilson friends have picked up pure drives or surges and after 15 minutes switched and never looked back. I think this is a good thing since most of the new racquets seem to be this style and they are easier to play with, generally. I could never be so lucky.

Good luck.

intense2b
12-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Guys,

Regarding the ncode tour 6.1 90.......

I really don't know what a fair price is for the racquet as I have never done this before. It is strung with gut 17 guage VS gut at 61 pounds...the grip is 4 5/8...and the racquet is as good as new. Even the strings are perfect...no fraying and perfectly alligned. As I said it is barely used. Do you think $75 bucks would be too much to ask?

I think I would have TW broker the deal so everyone is happy. I can send the racquet to TW for inspection and you guys can send the check directky to TW. Does that sound ok?

PrestigeClassic
12-24-2004, 05:19 PM
If you can muster the spin yourself, i.prestige is a good replacement. Otherwise, nCode 90 would be it. Or Pro Staff 6.1 95 or Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 95.

Deuce
12-24-2004, 09:57 PM
As Flatspin explained very well, the iPrestige Mid is very much like the PS 85. If you're going to change from the PS 85, don't buy anything until you try an iPrestige Mid.

Fede
12-25-2004, 01:35 AM
Thank you all for your advice! I tried iPrestige MP and found good, but with less feel than the PS 85. I will try the Mid, probably is the right solution.
Unfortunately in Italy (Rome) is very difficult to find a demo nCode, Wilson is not so popular here as Head is!
Ciao!

Fede
12-26-2004, 02:29 AM
Just another question, there is so much difference between iPrestige Mid and MP?
I noticed that the 93 Head size is actually very close to the PS head, so I think that the MP is probably a wiser choice.

baseliner
12-26-2004, 06:23 AM
Short answer, I agree with stringbreaker--stick with the 6.0 85. I switched years ago from the 6.0 85 due to advancing age and not playing as much. As I was playing mainly doubles I went to the HPS 5.0. Great racket for volleying, serving and blocking returns. Way to stiff to play singles with. I now use the HPS 6.1 but probably never should have switched.