PDA

View Full Version : Best Beatles Cover

kimbahpnam
02-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Yesterday on Conan O'Brien, Jake Shimabukuro playing an interpretation of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on the ukelele. A video of him playing this song in Central Park has been on youtube for awhile and it's great to see it on national TV.

On Conan (http://youtube.com/watch?v=C4AO9bY1qis)

A Couple Years back in Central Park (http://youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo)

Andres
02-20-2008, 04:06 AM
Hugh Laurie's Hey Jude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2g1EXmdVfU

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

bluegrasser
02-20-2008, 05:15 AM
Rats ! and to think I was watching Conan last night and fell asleep. Outstanding stuff, the man has talent for sure. BTW, who's that heavy set guy who had a great cover on a song playing the uke.

caesar66
02-20-2008, 05:18 AM
There have been several memorable Beatles covers over the years, but my two submissions would be Aerosmith's version of Come Together, and (my favorite beatles cover) "With a Little Help from my Friends" by Joe Cocker

bluegrasser
02-20-2008, 05:47 AM
Rats ! and to think I was watching Conan last night and fell asleep. Outstanding stuff, the man has talent for sure. BTW, who's that heavy set guy who had a great cover on a song playing the uke.

I'll answer my own question - " Israel Kamakawiwo'ole" - amazing talent & sadly he died so young.

slice bh compliment
02-20-2008, 05:51 AM
''... a song Charles Mason stole from the Beatles.
We're stealin' it backh.....''
Helter Skelter, u2 (Rattle and Hum)

I am the Walrus, and just about anything else by OASIS

Dear Prudence, Siouxie and the Banshees

slice bh compliment
02-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Hugh Laurie's Hey Jude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2g1EXmdVfU

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hahahha. Their other stuff is hilarious, too. Australian Soap had me rolling.

SlapShot
02-20-2008, 06:04 AM
Not sure if it counts, but the entire Grey Album by DJ Danger Mouse is right up there.

TheShaun
02-20-2008, 06:35 AM
I am the Walrus, and just about anything else by OASIS
[/FONT]

i'll second that entire statement!

Colpo
02-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Left turn here: ALBUM cover?? Had to be their nutjob "Butcher" cover for 1965's 'Yesterday and Today.' What the heck were they thinking??

Dedans Penthouse
02-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Joe Cocker "With a Little Help From My Friends" (album: "Woodstock Soundtrack") (I think Joe 'spit-out' his liver, his spleen and his pancreas during that last scream of his--still gives chills--fabulous! .... good call, caesarRt.66)

The Tubes "I Saw Her Standing There" (album: "What Do You Want From LIVE") (Raise-the-roof, party-central jam in the middle that crashes--hysterically--into a "wtf?" lull by the band in mid-stream).

Crack The Sky "I Am the Walrus" (album: "Alive and Kicking ***")
A very underrated, prog band for it's time. This album, (recorded at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia) is worth it just for the introduction alone: the MC is some degenerate-sounding guy (think Joe Walsh really drunk) slurring his words as he introduces the the band thusly:
"Good evening, boys and girls.....this band has come 'ALL-THE-WAY-DOWN' from an acid trip just to play for you.....would you please welcome: Crack the Sky"

(whereupon the band launches into an awesomely heavy, funky rock song called "Hold On" --- the first 1:00 of this album played at volume-level "11" is worth the price of admission alone).

Shahar26
02-20-2008, 07:24 AM
I saw the movie "Across the universe" the other day, I wouldn't say they had the best Beatles covers, but they had very interesting visual interpretations of the songs.

The storyline was not great (on it's own it would probably be a flop), but the songs really make it worth watching....

SlapShot
02-20-2008, 07:45 AM
The I Am Sam soundtrack had some awesome Beatles covers, as well.

iradical18
02-20-2008, 09:13 AM
I saw the movie "Across the universe" the other day, I wouldn't say they had the best Beatles covers, but they had very interesting visual interpretations of the songs.

The storyline was not great (on it's own it would probably be a flop), but the songs really make it worth watching....

I agree. I think Bono did a good job doing I am the Walrus.

Shahar26
02-20-2008, 09:27 AM
I agree. I think Bono did a good job doing I am the Walrus.

The "For the benefit of Mr. kite" was wild as well....

Breaker
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
i'll second that entire statement!

Haha, I'm thinking it was a backhanded compliment, patented by slice of course. Their "I Am The Walrus" cover on Masterplan is amazing, though.

Gundam
02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Ah, that kind of 'cover'. I was about to say "revolver" album cover. :(

I like Michelle by Allan Holdsworth.
T.N.K. by 801, too.

edmondsm
02-20-2008, 10:40 AM
I am the Walrus, and just about anything else by OASIS[/FONT]

Oasis is basically just a less talented and less charming version of the Beatles. Just had to throw that out there.

Fiona Apple did a great version of a Beatles tune but I can't remember which one. Any help.

SFrazeur
02-20-2008, 10:42 AM
The only Beatles song I really like is "That Means A Lot." P.J. Proby has the best version of it I know of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amIZy_0A_A

-SF

tricky
02-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Fiona Apple did a great version of a Beatles tune but I can't remember which one. Any help.

Across the Universe

SlapShot
02-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Spineshank did a pretty mean version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on Strictly Diesel. That's the metalhead in me coming out.

mhstennis100
02-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Oasis is basically just a less talented and less charming version of the Beatles. Just had to throw that out there.

I like Oasis a lot more. I have a collection of the Beatles #1 songs and a few Oasis albums, and I prefer Oasis much more. Probably because I'm young though, as opposed to my dad who hates Oasis and loves the Beatles.

adams_1
02-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Soundgarden - Come Together
Pearl Jam - I've Got a Feeling

Seek. Listen. Enjoy.

Nuke
02-21-2008, 03:13 AM
Crack The Sky "I Am the Walrus" (album: "Alive and Kicking ***")
Wow, I didn't think anybody remembered this band. I saw them do "I Am The Walrus" way back when at The Bottom Line in NYC and it was awesome. They were probably the tightest band I'd ever seen.

Rule26
02-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Jimi Hendrix - Sgt Pepper intro at Isle of Wright (This live album is of course second only to Spinal Tap live at the Isle of Lucy)

ryan808
02-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Across the Universe

Such a great video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=8gLWTtlMwo4).

Trainer
02-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Jerry Garcia Band live - Dear Prudence

Hooooon
02-21-2008, 10:26 AM
the only cover i like better than the orig: Strawberry Fields Forever by Ben Harper

GS
02-21-2008, 10:31 AM
The only Beatle covers I like are McCartney's, live, on various cds and dvds. Since he did em without Beatle members, they can be considered covers, somewhat. All the other cover bands come in second, third or fourth. Why bother for anything less? Ah!, but the best Beatle covers aren't even covers---they're tunes by Todd Rundgren and Utopia (they did a faithful soundalike record back in 1980, with 'Deface The Music')---otherwise, there's always the Rutles.....

jmverdugo
02-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Strawberry fields by Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
Rattle and hum by U2
Help by Oasis (the slow version)
With a little help of my friends by Joe Cocker

9000tennis
02-22-2008, 02:30 AM
The Punkles - Hey Jude:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rog34sIfP0
:twisted::twisted:

slice bh compliment
02-22-2008, 05:55 AM
I like Oasis a lot more. I have a collection of the Beatles #1 songs and a few Oasis albums, and I prefer Oasis much more. Probably because I'm young though, as opposed to my dad who hates Oasis and loves the Beatles.

At first, I'm thinking, "sacrilege!''. Then I'm thinking, "why does his dad loves the Beatles and not at least LIKE Oasis?"

Then I'm thinking, "Wait a minute. I'm like mhstennis, actually, only with the early Rolling Stones and BB King/Muddy Waters/John Lee Hooker. I like those guys a lot, and I have a few albums, but I listen to the Stones WAY more."

Oh, and, I think of another Beatles cover I laughed about: ''Twist & Shout'', by Rodney Dangerfield from Back To School, circa 1986.

Dedans Penthouse
02-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Wow, I didn't think anybody remembered this band. I saw them do "I Am The Walrus" way back when at The Bottom Line in NYC and it was awesome. They were probably the tightest band I'd ever seen.An absolute tragedy that distribution/promotional problems never allowed that band to see the light of day (Cashman/West completely blew it with these guys-first 3 albums then poof..gone). There have been countless stories of Crack-the-Sky kicked-off tours because of absolutely blowing "name bands" off the stage: ELO, Kansas, Styx to name a few. Truely, an American "what if?" tragedy.

Speaking of Crack-the-SKY:
WORST Beatle Cover: William Shatner "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds"
(He BADLY went where no man had gone...)

Doc Hollidae
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Come Together - Michael Jackson

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q5ONBm8QHUw&feature=related

superman1
02-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Joe Cocker's cover was good, since he was covering a song sung by Ringo, who had a charming but not really amazing voice. If one of the other three had sung it, I wouldn't listen to a cover.

For everything else, I prefer the original.

And I don't see why you have to like Oasis if you like The Beatles. What do they have in common? The Beatles could do anything musically, Oasis only has one sound which got OLD. Listening to the same chords over and over isn't that epic after a while. The more you get into The Beatles, the better they get, until it becomes like an obsession. I didn't like their older songs at first, now I love them. It takes years of listening and reading to fully understand that band.

Phil
02-24-2008, 01:00 AM
It takes years of listening and reading to fully understand that band.
Not if you know something about music.