PDA

View Full Version : Follow-up: Fischer Pro Tour Extreme...

ej
12-24-2004, 11:47 AM
I was recently given good advice on the Fischer PT Extreme. I really like the specs, which remind me of another frame I loved but was too powerful and insanely stiff: the HyperCarbon 5.0 Stretch (12.3oz but super head light).

Given the Fischer PT Extreme's flex, does the stringbed have a very uneven response and an anemic upper hoop? I can live with these things because it's the price you pay for headlight /nice flex. And, I'll be able to use stiffer strings because the frame absorbs shock!!!

I just wanted to hear more detailed feedback on how the racquet feels/plays off-center.

Richie Rich
12-24-2004, 12:14 PM
I don't find the upper hoop that flexy. I think tends to flex more in throat area.

Amazing racquet for groundies and return of serve. So-so for serves - good spin but low power for some reason even though it's .4 inches longer. Could probably live with it. But I found it to be a lousy volleying racquet.

Probably just need more time with it to come round on the serve.

Swingman
12-24-2004, 12:49 PM
You may be disappointed if you're expecting it to be a flexy racquet. I recall this as a medium flex racquet. I though the response was pretty even across the string bed but drop off in power out of the sweet spot was more noticeable given the low power level. The longer length and low power made volleying a bit challenging for me. Regarding the serving, it took me about 8-10 hours to get adjusted to the longer length. It's all about placement with this stick.

Craig Sheppard
12-24-2004, 09:02 PM
I have differing views of this racquet it seems. Richie Rich is right about the throat being more flexy than the head. However I found it to be quite a flexible racquet. It's certainly more flexible than any Pro Staff, and below the i.Prestige I own. It's very solid however, and very damped. Not sure if others are confusing this with the flex. You certainly can feel it flex during your shot.

Also, the length is not an issue, at least for me. It's a *hair* longer than a 27" racquet, unless you count an unusable butt cap bulge. It's certainly not .4" longer, maybe more like .25", if that. I found I could hit booming flat serves with the thing. Spin was still there, but the strings are concentrated more in the middle of the pattern than say a PS 6.0 or a Slaz X1 (other 16x18 patterns). Hence I couldn't get as much kick or spin with the Extreme as with the other racquets mentioned. You can get it, you just have to try harder.

I've found the higher up you hit in the string bed, the more flex you feel. It certainly isn't a powerful racquet up there, you'll just dink it back. It's not harsh when hit like that though. You'll feel it be off, but you'll never get much shock from the frame. I've never played with more comfortable racquet. Have tried a few Volkls, but this to me was better. But honestly, for all the talk about the small sweetspot, I never feel jarred or inconsistent with the Extreme. I recognize the lesser power outside the sweetspot, but otherwise it's not that much difference. Still solid, still quiet.

You're right about the stiffer string. I find softer strings tend to feel mushy, say like an Alpha Gut 2000. You'd do best with a gut hybrid, or if you want to go cheaper, a solid core syn gut or stiffer multi.

After using the PSC 6.1 for years, I couldn't really find a frame to replace it. Tried hitting with many different ones, even other Fischers, until I tried the Extreme and it just clicked. Of course it's quite, quite different from the PSC. It's a unique racquet, not for everyone.

Craig

ej
12-25-2004, 09:04 AM
I have differing views of this racquet it seems. Richie Rich is right about the throat being more flexy than the head. However I found it to be quite a flexible racquet. It's certainly more flexible than any Pro Staff, and below the i.Prestige I own. It's very solid however, and very damped. Not sure if others are confusing this with the flex. You certainly can feel it flex during your shot.

Also, the length is not an issue, at least for me. It's a *hair* longer than a 27" racquet, unless you count an unusable butt cap bulge. It's certainly not .4" longer, maybe more like .25", if that. I found I could hit booming flat serves with the thing. Spin was still there, but the strings are concentrated more in the middle of the pattern than say a PS 6.0 or a Slaz X1 (other 16x18 patterns). Hence I couldn't get as much kick or spin with the Extreme as with the other racquets mentioned. You can get it, you just have to try harder.

I've found the higher up you hit in the string bed, the more flex you feel. It certainly isn't a powerful racquet up there, you'll just dink it back. It's not harsh when hit like that though. You'll feel it be off, but you'll never get much shock from the frame. I've never played with more comfortable racquet. Have tried a few Volkls, but this to me was better. But honestly, for all the talk about the small sweetspot, I never feel jarred or inconsistent with the Extreme. I recognize the lesser power outside the sweetspot, but otherwise it's not that much difference. Still solid, still quiet.

You're right about the stiffer string. I find softer strings tend to feel mushy, say like an Alpha Gut 2000. You'd do best with a gut hybrid, or if you want to go cheaper, a solid core syn gut or stiffer multi.

After using the PSC 6.1 for years, I couldn't really find a frame to replace it. Tried hitting with many different ones, even other Fischers, until I tried the Extreme and it just clicked. Of course it's quite, quite different from the PSC. It's a unique racquet, not for everyone.

Craig

Thanks Craig...