PDA

View Full Version : Boris Becker 100sq inch Estusa Racket

yip kok kuin
12-25-2004, 05:16 AM
I have found in a store some old Estusa rackets that have the Boris Becker's endorsement. 1 of them have material like twon(?) as in the early Head prestige racket. They have the classical shape of a Becker racket but only bigger. Have Boris Becker ever use such rackets when he was playing professionally?

Craig Sheppard
12-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Yip, I can't tell you the Becker aspect of it, but from the materials aspect:

The material was probably Twaron. Twaron is a trade name for the material Aramid. A well-known version of the Aramid fibre is Dupont's Kevlar.

So you were probably looking at a braided Graphite/Twaron frame much like other company's Graphite/Kevlar frames. I can't tell you the exact differences between Kevlar and Twaron however, I'm not a materials scientest! ;-) (Although Mat Sci is about the coolest engineering science!!!)

Craig

yip kok kuin
12-25-2004, 09:11 PM
tks Craig. Those rackets I mentioned have that Kelvar thing on top too and loads of high-tech but otherwise meaningless sounding racket technologies all over the rackets. And of course that famours BB signature!

Ronaldo
12-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Unlike any current racquet or Estusa, BB used 50/50 fiberglass/graphite racquets. From personal experience, few like that mix.

yip kok kuin
12-26-2004, 02:48 AM
Ronaldo, I maybe wrong but I do remember the first BB racket the sliver and red one that he won wimbldeon was pretty stiff. Stiffer than GTX pro or max 200g. fiberglass is pretty soft right?

Those 100 sq inch racket that I mentioned about are not present racket. More like 10 years ago model.

Colpo
12-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Becker never stopped using his old Pumas, even after Puma couldn't afford to pay on BB's multiyear deal and Boris stopped using the Puma stencil. His Estusa deal commenced in early 1990, but he used the BB Super or a paintjob of it his whole career.

PrestigeClassic
12-27-2004, 02:57 PM
You're not referring to the Puma Onyx Sabre/Saber, are you? That one is metallic black and was supposedly Puma's answer to the Wilson Pro Staff. I'd have to look at mine again, but I remember it being around 95 inē, maybe a little larger. I don't think it has Boris Becker on it though.