PDA

View Full Version : Is the Laver-Rosewall Match everyone's been looking for?

BeHappy
02-22-2008, 05:50 PM
1972 WCT championships?
http://www.tennisondvd.com/prodimages/72wctL.jpg

http://www.tennisondvd.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D72WCT&from=3

Thought I saw a post on another thread about this, if not sorry.

hoodjem
03-02-2009, 12:50 PM
"This highlight video runs approximately 25 minutes and highlights the 1972 WCT tournament as well as the final match."

Obviously not the complete match, which (if memory serves me) went on for several hours.

adidasman
03-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Sadly, most of the DVD doesn't even show the end-of-the-court view that NBC showed when they telecast the match; it's lots of close-ups that don't really give you a sense of the match. It's better than nothing, but I'd love to see a copy of the complete match as it was telecast.

CyBorg
03-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I never bought this, because it's clearly chopped. I did consider it though.

jimbo333
03-03-2009, 02:53 AM
You actually look as though you are still considering it:)

pc1
03-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I do have the tape of the match and I do think it's worth purchasing. It's a highlight tape of the 1971 and 1972 WCT championships. I have inquired about the 1972 WCT championship match and I am not sure if it is available. It's a shame because it is one of the matches that helped the popularity of tennis.

adidasman
03-27-2009, 02:01 PM
I do have the tape of the match and I do think it's worth purchasing. It's a highlight tape of the 1971 and 1972 WCT championships. I have inquired about the 1972 WCT championship match and I am not sure if it is available. It's a shame because it is one of the matches that helped the popularity of tennis. I own that DVD, and it's nice to have - but it's not the whole match, or even close. That match made me want to play tennis, and made me a huge Laver fan (which I still am), and I'd love to see it again in its entirety.

hoodjem
03-28-2009, 07:04 AM
You and me both. I would pay "big bucks" to get a decent quality DVD of that entire match.

(I can still picture little snippets in my mind from memory.)

pc1
03-28-2009, 09:13 AM
You and me both. I would pay "big bucks" to get a decent quality DVD of that entire match.

(I can still picture little snippets in my mind from memory.)

I saw a part of the 1972 match live starting in the second set, last game. I can write that I was amazed at the unbelievable ability of both players and the quality of the rallies. Of course that was in 1972 and memory can fail you. What I can write is that I didn't know Rosewall was so great at the time but after I saw this match I realized the greatness of Rosewall.

Just think about it, Laver and Rosewall probably played even better matches when they were younger and in their primes but the matches were never filmed.

crabgrass
03-28-2009, 09:39 AM
i have a copy of their 1970 match in sydney that went to 5 and the standard of play is pretty high....one thing that strikes me watching these old matches is how little time there is between points compared to today, virtually as soon as the points finish theyre back at the service line ready to go.
Also the way these 2 guys conducted themselves on court is exceptional,
the phrase 'role model' would definetly apply to both.

Bhagi Katbamna
03-28-2009, 10:05 AM
All of the Aussies of that generation were exceptional role models and were true gentlemen.

urban
03-28-2009, 10:14 AM
With the possible exception of Bob Hewitt (on a lighter side). To the Laver-Rosewall match at Sydney, which i also have on dvd: The thing i found astonishing for a grass match, was the relative high amount of baseline exchanges. Rosewall didn't come in after second serves, and so there were many long rallies, with nice lobs and countermoves. Both players used every inch of the court. Maybe the Australian grass courts were slower than Wimbledon grass. Maybe it depended on the style of Rosewall. In the 69 Laver-Roche match at Brisbane, there are much shorter points.

hoodjem
03-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Maybe the Australian grass courts were slower than Wimbledon grass.

Aha! And there are those who poo-poo the '69 Grand Slam, because is did not take place on four different surfaces. They suggest that the career slam of Agassi is better and more significant.

CyBorg
03-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I bet a perfectly good copy of this is rotting in some tv station's basement.

hoodjem
03-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Yep, probably.