PDA

View Full Version : The science of specs...

altawolfe
12-25-2004, 05:37 PM
I've noticed that many headlight racquets with sub 61 flex can often have very small sweetspots and uneven stringbed response. On the other hand, stiffer headlight racquets have a more even response but are often too powerful and transmit too much shock.

Can you name a racquet that navigates these problems successfully? ...because it seems like getting the right specs is a series of accepting lesser evils.

Feel free to educate me if this question is too broad or stupid.

Ronaldo
12-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Don't the Yonex racquets tackle that problem, even way back in the days of the YY-7500?

raftermania
12-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Hey man there are no stupid questions.. Unless you come along asking who these two guys, Pete and Andre are that everyone is always talking about.

I'll try to answer your question... Have you tried to bulk up the flexible racquet with lead to boost the sweetspot?

Also, choice of string can play a big role in determining playing characteristics. You could try a low powered multifilament in the stiff racquet to soften things up.

What racquets have you looked at so far?

altawolfe
12-25-2004, 08:54 PM
I've noticed that many headlight racquets with sub 61 flex can often have very small sweetspots and uneven stringbed response. On the other hand, stiffer headlight racquets have a more even response but are often too powerful and transmit too much shock.

Can you name a racquet that navigates these problems successfully? ...because it seems like getting the right specs is a series of accepting lesser evils.

Feel free to educate me if this question is too broad or stupid.

I've played for a long time with a Wilson FPK 95 that feels incredible, but anything above the sweetspot is absolutely dead. I also have a Wilson HyperCarbon 5.0 stretch that is supper stiff & too powerful, but with a large sweetspot that I like. I'm trying to find a frame that is 12oz-12.5 (strung), headlight, flexible . . . but with a less harsh upper hoop, something with a very even stringbed response.

raftermania
12-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Look up "proportional stringing" on the board and try it out with your stiff racquet, some ppl swear by it, saying it's solved their injury problems outright.

Ronaldo
12-25-2004, 09:46 PM
alta, the FPK is like an open string pattern PC, awesome. It is the best of those flexible, 90s sticks. Always thought the iPrestige had it all, just I am not worthy of using it unless on those occasions when touched by.................a higher power. Retired my R-22 after that experience, just like my iPrestige mid. A man must know his limitations