PDA

View Full Version : Lendl mizuno's racket

yip kok kuin
12-26-2004, 02:55 AM
Is this a 90 sq inch racket? If, so how does this come about? Lendl has always used a very small face when with adidas. Was it because of his obsession to win the Wimbeldon?

AndrewD
12-26-2004, 06:18 AM
I believe it was a 90 sq although someone like Thomas Martinez might have strung one so could have a better idea.

I was under the impression that Lendl wanted the larger head to aid his volleying at Wimbledon. The irony is that, in an interview, Lendl said that he came to believe the secret to winning at Wimbledon was not in the serve and volley but in how well you returned serve. He said that he felt he never returned serve well there so, although he could win his own serve he just couldn't consistantly break guys like Becker, Edberg or Cash. He believed that Agassi won, even though his serve and volley wasn't as good as others, because he could break serve.

AndrewD
12-26-2004, 06:19 AM
I believe it was a 90 sq although someone who has strung one might have a better idea.

I was under the impression that Lendl wanted the larger head to aid his volleying at Wimbledon. The irony is that, in an interview, Lendl said that he came to believe the secret to winning at Wimbledon was not in the serve and volley but in how well you returned serve. He said that he felt he never returned serve well there so, although he could win his own serve he just couldn't consistantly break guys like Becker, Edberg or Cash. He believed that Agassi won, even though his serve and volley wasn't as good as others, because he could break serve.

AndrewD
12-26-2004, 06:21 AM
I believe it was a 90 although someone who has strung one might have a better idea.

I was under the impression that Lendl wanted the larger head to aid his volleying at Wimbledon. The irony is that, in an interview, Lendl said that he came to believe the secret to winning at Wimbledon was not in the serve and volley but in how well you returned serve. He said that he felt he never returned serve well there so, although he could win his own serve he just couldn't consistantly break guys like Becker, Edberg or Cash. He believed that Agassi won, even though his serve and volley wasn't as good as others, his return was

thomas martinez
12-26-2004, 08:11 AM
Yeah, the commercial ones sold in North/South America and Europe had the 90 head. The stringing info was never really set on it. SOme say it was 18 x 18, some say 16 x 19, much like the Esutsa/Pumas you could string them many different ways. When Ivan played them, he would have a 18 x 21 pattern if I recall done on them, just stuck string through extra holes the way Kournikova and Seles did on their RQ 380s. Yeah, supposedly it was to help him with his volleys, and he suspposedly also used a black Adidas frame there as well when he was with Adidas. Who knows the real scoop though? I do recall seeing him play the 90 head at a few tourneys post/pre Wimby as well. Not a bad hitting frame, mine is mothballed somewhere. Though on a side note, you were able to buy in Japan the more or less exact model that he used himself. That is, pre customizing by Bosworth. Never sold outside of Japan.

Colpo
12-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Lendl's black adidas model was the GTX Mid-T, and he definitely played at least one ('86?) Wimbledon with it, and played well. He also tried the GTX Mid (blue and white model) under Bosworth's modification, but for hitting/experimenting only, to my knowledge.