PDA

View Full Version : the infamous vollies

Bach3387
03-22-2004, 02:36 PM
i used to be able to volley good, but as i advanced and the players i played against started hitting harder, and my vollies are now horrible, so i have a couple of questions. is it okay to use an eastern BH grip or is it easier to hit vollies with a continental grip? also, how far in front should the contact be? i also noticed with the increased pace, i can't step in to volley, so how do i get more power on the vollies if i can't step? and finally, too many of my vollies are high, dink shots that the other player just kills, so how do i keep the ball down and low? Thanks

Stitch626
03-22-2004, 04:35 PM
I think you should probably just practice more to get the footwork right. As for getting the ball lower try to hit high to low but not so much that it is a slice. Hit through the ball more and add a little backspin and it should go deeper and stay low.

edge
03-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Yes it's better to use a continental grip. The wrist is laid back, you are punching through the ball with an underspin for control. You can increase your power by cross-stepping forward, this will move your bodyweight forward into the shot and help you volley deeper. Actually I find it easier to volley fast paced balls as you use the power of the ball to volley deep.

Bungalo Bill
03-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Grips are personal, and there are many pros and advanced players that switch grips for their volleys. I use a strong Continental grip that is more towards an Eastern backhand grip. I just didnt feel right with a pure contiental grip. My wrist position always felt awkward and I am very happy I made the change.

In fact I do not use a pure Continental on forehand volleys either I will move the grip more to an Eastern forehand grip. These grips allow me to make solid contact on the ball and I can glance a blow on the ball in any direction while feeling totally comfortable.

I would sugges this: Practice hitting volleys with a Eastern backhand grip, as you get more comfortable move it slightly towards a Continental and find your compromise. Every hand is different and every player likes grips in different flavors.

In order to switch grips fast at the net, you must not grip the handle tightly otherwise your grip switchin will be too slow.

brijoel
03-22-2004, 07:54 PM
^^^that's fine, but i think he's complaining that he cant get prepared for the ball, considering he said he cant get the step into the ball.

it sounds like you are hitting a weak approach that they are simply pounding you on. pick and choose when to come in. dont worry about swinging at the ball try to just block it at first. make sure that when you come in you KEEP MOVING. dont ever stop, always be sure to be bouncing on your toes or moving toward the ball. DO NOT wait for it to get to you before you prepare, and always have the racquet out in front.
ive come in off some big hitters and the less you swing the better, just keep light on your feet. once again, more than anything be sure you are coming in off the right balls it will make all the difference in your next shot.

Bungalo Bill
03-22-2004, 08:49 PM
If your hitting dink shots or feel out of position, you really need to be focused on volleying with your feet. Nothing replaces practice. A lot of players take their eyes off the ball or move their heads to much. Stay on the ball and let the ball come to you more. The ball on a volley is a lot closer to you then you think - laterally. Be very focused on that ball. Most club players dont feel there is a whole lot of time, but with practice you will see you have plenty of time to volley 95% of the balls you get. So relax!

You could be using too loose of a grip on contact. Hit Volleys with a firm hand and a fixed wrist but have some flexibility in the wrist to absorb the impact.

You could be swinging high to low on your volleys this will pop up your volleys. I have been studying this and good volleys are hit with a level or low to high racquet path. Save the high to low volley for easy putaway volleys.

On volleys your feet are what volleys the ball. In other words, since the ball is closer to you laterally then you think, it is the feet that is doing the work and your upper body stays quiet. Shoulder turn only. Always hit the ball ahead of you instead of out in front of you. That way you wont extend your arm to far in front.

As far as timing as long as your hitting with sound technique it is a matter of practice to get your timing and rythym down. Your first step to the ball should not be going back. It is also ok to take two step to hit your volley, but the foot that moves first is your back foot.

It takes practice to retrain the brain to send different signals. So practice slowly at first to develop the brain signals to fire the right muscles then have faster balls fed to you.

JB
03-23-2004, 04:47 AM
You could be swinging high to low on your volleys this will pop up your volleys. I have been studying this and good volleys are hit with a level or low to high racquet path. Save the high to low volley for easy putaway volleys.

I was always taught no to "swing" at volleys. More of a punch.

Volleys are a weak part of my game and I'm really trying to improve. One thing that's been pointed out to me is that on a lot of volleys I don't turn my shoulders. When I focus on turning my shoulders I get much better results.

Bungalo Bill
03-23-2004, 08:04 AM
Your right it is not a swing. I guess I used a poor choice of words. Sorry.

Try not to move the racquet from low to high on the forward movement. The racquet may finish lower making it look like you hit the ball high to low. But in reality within the 4-6 inches you move the racquet it should be level - going in a straight line. The relaxation will allow the racquet to fall, but that is after the ball is long gone on your strings.

paulfreda
11-05-2004, 12:54 PM
My suggestion is get out an put in the hours on a ball machine or a wall. Hit thousands and thousands of volleys and discover for yourself what works and what doesn't. Grip, ball position, racquet path, for different targets (short deep FH corner etc.)

If you want to improve you have to work for it.
You can get a tip or three here or in books, by there is nothing that teaches better than experience.