PDA

View Full Version : Who is the WORST commentator??

Pages : [1] 2

Shaolin
02-21-2004, 05:29 AM
We can settle this once and for all. Sorry if who you hate isnt on this list but you can write them in. Pesonally I have to say Mal Washington right now because, although he doesnt annoy me as much outright like Carillo or P Mac but he does it more passive-aggressively, by NEVER saying anything interesting or useful, and pointing out only the most painfully obviously things. He wont say anything at all until 45 minutes into the match then its "...break point, Roddick..." and then you dont hear him again until someone misses a short ball from 3 feet behind the net, and then with his amazing insight he will add "...you GOTTA make that..."

Mackay is on there because while sometimes he makes interesting comments, his voice annoys me to death for some reason.

Courier I putting in both polls (best and worst) because he says interesting things and has good insight, but serenading Roddick just doesnt sit well with me.

ohplease
02-21-2004, 06:44 AM
Dick Enberg gets a nod for his extreme lack of connection to the sport, but the worst BY FAR is Johnny Mac. He's simply not professional, and it shows. I can't remember how often I've thought "SHUT UP ALREADY" while watching USA's Flushing coverage.

I've also never actually heard him, but rumor has it Pat Cash is quite bad as well.

borisboris
02-21-2004, 08:32 AM
:shock: THE ALL TIME WORST = PAM SHRIVER!! My ears bleed at the sound of her voice. I start to feel as though I'm sucking on lemons during her quiefs. Then Malvai WA - he might be a nice guy but I don't care when the camera is on - his insight is bland and he's not very professional in delivery. The worst is when he's in Europe with a Jensen doing the fall Masters for ESPN.

Shaolin
02-21-2004, 08:51 AM
Boris--
sorry, I dont know how I could leave out Pam Shriver..uGGGH

I knew there would be some people I left out...

@wright
02-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Jim Lampley-the guy doesn't know ***** about tennis.

Ratty
02-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Pat Cash is a complete jerk. You're lucky you don't have him in the US. He does his best to ruin Wimbledon every year on the BBC.

His opinions are complete c**p (a recent one was that Federer would go nowhere at the 2004 Aussie Open because his girlfriend was too bossy), and he's only interested in self promotion.

@wright
02-21-2004, 11:13 AM
I've come to the conclusion that there are just too damn many to choose from. I like Courier, mal washington, and Jmac pretty well, and there are a few that are complete jokes such as jim "i know less about tennis than most intermediates off the street" lampley, mary "i used to be a man" carillo, luke "i'm a better commentator than a player, and I suck at commentating" jenson, and Pat "did someone just say Andy?" McEnroe.

BreakPoint
02-21-2004, 11:40 AM
I think Jim Courier is the best of the lot. Very insightful and intelligent commentary, obviously a man talking from years of experience at the highest levels of the pro tour. Mal Washington is OK, except he conducts the worst post match interviews. His questions are dumb, obvious, and bland, never insightful or thought-provoking. The worst, however, may be that guy with glasses who used to be on CBS, but now on ESPN. I think his name is Pat Ryan or something. During the Aus Open, he was constantly getting the players names mixed up and the scores wrong. Didn't seem like he knew what he was doing or where he was.

BTW, did any of you sense some animosity building between P Mac and Cliffy? It seems like they're cutting into each other and knocking each other down more and more with each passing day. Perhaps they're just getting sick and tired of being near each other so often?

Moumine
02-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Pat Cash is a complete jerk...<snip>...and he's only interested in self promotion.

It's not just Pat Cash, we're also forced to tolerate the uppermost unctuous peon cnut Sue Barker.

I've had the misfortune of meeting Sue Barker, over dinner, and she sucks harder than a full-on nuclear-powered sucky thing. The instensity of her Henman-eulogising literally knows no bounds, even at table, and she's extremely dull too.

Anonymous
02-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Chris Evert, Tracy Austin, and Pam "Will you just look at Venus, she's as good as I thought she would be when I saw her in Compton" Shriver.

guernica1
02-21-2004, 04:12 PM
P Mac was actually better before becoming Davis Cup captain. Obviously he has conflict of interests now.

Even Magic Johnson in the TNT booth can be more objective about the Lakers!

Now, Pam Shriver is probably the worst. Closely followed by PMac and Mal.

A guy who could actually make a living in this field is, don't laugh, Justin Gimelstob. He is actually pretty good for someone who just started doing these sorts of things.

James Brown
02-21-2004, 05:48 PM
cliff drysdale?.... not on the list...WHY? I think its obvious this ****** is the worst i've ever heard. oh roddick just got broken by routine passing shot, YEAH BUT THATS GREAT PLAY BY RODDICK. .....so damn lame. Put him out to pasture. Please, thanks.

david aames
02-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Enberg -- at his best while keeping an eye on NFL scores... That ESPN crossover guy is out of this world too... forgot his name.

I don't really understand all the fuzz about Mal Washington. He's a smooth talker, never really offensive unless he starts bragging how he got to play Agassi and almost got to a tie in the first set. At least he got to play a Wimbledon final...

Camilio Pascual
02-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Mal is the worst, half of what he says is a statement of the obvious.

Brian Purdie
02-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Excellent, excellent use of the polling feature, Shoalin. I applaud your genius in helping me expose these TV know it alls.

galain
02-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Johnny Mac was paid a six figure some to come down here for the Oz Open and commentate for Channel 7. He wasn't worth 100th of what they paid him.

And Ratty has it right about Pat Cash - his commentary usually involves "when I won Wimbledon...When I did this....When I did that...."

Would like to hear Courier, never had the luck to. I like some of the older guys - John Barret I always enjoy listening to, Fred Stolle and Tony Trabert too. I thought Martina Hingis did a surprisingly good job in the commentary booth this year down here - hopefully we'll get to hear more from her.

polakosaur
02-23-2004, 02:37 PM
clif drysdale, for every intelligent comment he makes he makes another 30 stupid ones, the guys has these old cliche's that only he understands too

tennis-n-sc
02-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Pam Shriver, for all the reasons previously mentioned. I would frankly just rather watch the match and listen to the crowd than have her comment. But this :? is also the kind of survey where you somehow need more than one vote since there are so many deserving.

Brent Pederson
02-23-2004, 05:42 PM
I don't know about you, but when I hear Chris Evert (luckily, it's not frequent) speak, I immediately feel the strong urge to administer a dope slap. It's the combination of the whiney thin nature of her voice with her superior air that just gets to me. I can feel my arm wanting to wind up as I type this...

chad shaver
02-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree with all of you. My vote goes to Joel Myers. If you've ever heard his commentary, you'll understand. There's a wonderful argument for everyone that has been mentioned, though.

audioaffliction
03-03-2004, 09:07 AM
Cliff Drysdale hands down. If it wasn't for the fact that I like hearing tennis balls being struck, I'd just put the audio on MUTE. Also, for those Brits on this board, there were a bunch of British Wimbledon commentators in the 80's that I just detested. Sorry, can't remember their names. Anyone?

jmckinney
03-03-2004, 10:59 AM
In my opinion the worst commentator is Mal Washington. Others I can't stand are Pam Shriver(too into Venus and Serena), Chris Evert (same as Pam), Luke Jensen, Pat McEnroe, Dick Enberg. I love JMac, he says what he is thinking about whoever is playing the match. He plays no favorites and leaves nothing inside. I like Jim Courier also.

Currahee
03-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Cliff Drysdale.

@wright
03-03-2004, 11:33 AM
No matter how bad someone is or how little they know, nothing comes close to PMAC's Roddick worship.

Gugafan_Redux
03-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Great poll.

-- My worse is Barry McKay. Oh, my god. Every ball--and I mean every ball--that doesn't go over, he says, "Oh,!and that one JUST catches the tape. So close, Lief! Boy!" And the camera man should borrow the Barbara Walters soft filter for his on-camera shots. Man, he's ugly. Gin blossom nose, teeth in a world of hurt.

One time he butchered Paradorn's last name about 16 differents ways all match long. He couldn't decide which way to screw it up. Ever since then, my sad inside joke to myself when I hear barry is to pronounce P-dorn's name "Prongy-Dong Swishy Swash." It's funny to me...

Stinkdyr
03-04-2004, 10:27 AM
hey! Mary C didn't just used to be a man, she still is......and can kick yurass to prove it! :P

Bhagi Katbamna
03-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Bjorn Borg,
He did some commentary for NBC in the '80s. He was pretty bad.

@wright
03-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Especially with that raging coke addiction.

Vanja Ljubibratic
03-04-2004, 10:56 AM
I agree that Cliff Drysdale is the worst commentator. He just repeats himself over and over again. I remember whenever Rafter played, he would always, FOR EVERY MATCH mention that Rafter was one of nine children in his family. And the constant sucking up to Pmac and Roddick is really disgusting. I can't stand Mal Washington, Shriver, or Carilo either. Pmac is okay if he's not commentating on a Roddick match, or even mentioning Roddick for that matter.

jayserinos99
03-04-2004, 11:05 PM
After PMac became DC Captain, I just put him on mute. He was bearable before that though.

Bhagi Katbamna
03-06-2004, 07:47 AM
Dick Enberg, "Oh My". Jeez shut up already. I wish just once, one of the announcers on Network TV during a final when they promote their other shows would say: "What, I can't believe they made such a crappy sitcom. Folks, don't watch that crap."

benbo3756
03-06-2004, 01:03 PM
i don't know how pmac got the most votes, he is not that bad. i agree that during a roddick match he gets old fast, and he really needs to stop talking about the young americans coming up in the game, he finds ways to work that into any match haha, well i like when he says "its the eye dropper!!" haha im probably the only one who likes that, but i think mal washington is just the worst hands down, he has never said anything that was worth saying ever, every word that comes out of his mouth is pretty much a waste of sound waves, i especially hate how at the AO he was sitting in the stands and talking, actually whispering into the mic all this pointless stuff. also cliff is not good, and why does mary c always do mens matches and then for womens matches they bring in some other women?

BreakPoint
03-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Did I call it before or what?! This guy Tim Ryan or whatever his name is on ESPN commentating on the Scottsdale final just gave Spadea the 1st set after he broke to go up 6-5 on Kiefer. Obviously, he's never played tennis before and didn't realize you don't win a set by 6-5 but have to win by two games. No excuse, since this guy has been a commentator at the U.S. Open for CBS for many years.

sambapati
03-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Even though this post is old I just HAVE TO mention this.
A friend and I have have noticed that much of Mary Carillo`s comments involve ultra-violent words. Playback old tennis tapes and listen to her sometime. I`ve heard her describe shots as the following:
Ax-like
bite
bludegeon
carve
blood
kill
suffocate
smother

there were more I`m sure but I`m working off memory here...

@wright
03-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Mary Carillo is a man-beast.

Foo4Everlong
03-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Wow! I'm completely shocked by the survey and a lot of your guys' comments. I think Marie Carillo is definitely the best one of all of them. She is very intelligent, and is always very interesting with a lot of her stories. She talks a lot about the behind the scene stuff that we don't get to hear much about. It's great to hear about the players fitness regiments, equiptment, and some of the other exciting things in the players lives. Out of all the commentators I definitely think she's the most interesting. There is a great article about her and her commentating at the terrible ESPN coverage at the Australian Open in the last Tennis Week Magazine(with Marat Safin on the cover). Now, I think Jim Courier is definitely THE WORST tennis commentator we have. I was so embarrassed for him a couple of years ago when Andy Roddick played his first Wimbledon in 2001 and Jim felt he had to go into the nearest studio and record an original song on acoustic guitar dedicated to Andy. I mean, it was horrendous, and a complete waste of three minutes. We all know you play guitar Jim, you don't need to write a song and perform it on national television just to prove it. You were, and probably still are a great tennis player, and lets keep it as that. There is a reason why you were famous for being a tennis player and not a rock star, and we all saw that three years ago. And I just don't think his commentary is very interesting. Very boring with the same mono tone voice all the time. He also seems very full of himself. I'm just not very crazy about this guy.
I agree with Pam Shriver, and Chris Everett being boring as hell. Cliff Drysdale is ok. He's been doing it for so long I'm just kinda used to it. I mean everytime tennis is to be on ESPN I just expect to hear Cliff Drysdale right away. Malavia Washington is pretty good as well. Is very good with explaining the whole "Shot Spot" technology. And also the whole technical odds and ends of the game and how the players are relating to each other during the match. Patrick McEnroe is ok but nothing close to how great it is when his brother calls a match. John out of all of them is definitely the most interesting and the most fun. He will definitely call it the way it is with no regrets. Just like his play you always like to tune in cuz you never know what kind of Mac you're gonna get. And with the implemation of the "Mac-Cam" on the CBS matches, we always get a second look at those close calls. And he is very adaptable with whomever is sitting next to him calling the match as well. I definitely think he works best with that dude on the USA network, but his name alludes me for the moment. In a quick wrap-up, John McEnroe, Patrick McEnroe, Mary Carillo, Malavia Washington, and most of those guys at the USA Network, a definite thumbs up. Jim Courier, Chris Everett, Maria Shriver, Luke Jensen, thumbs down. and those who are just tollerable are, Cliff Drysdale, Barry McKay. Those are my pics, I just thought you guys were alittle harsh on Mary Carillo for sure. She's definitely underrated. Later

@wright
03-11-2004, 10:53 AM
I've always thought Malavai Washington wasn't that bad, at least he doesn't drool over someone of the same sex, even if his comments are somewhat mediocre and uninteresting.

WYK
03-15-2004, 03:56 PM
I agree witjh Borisboris. Pam Shriver was, and still is, the worst.

WYK

DancesWithBeers
12-20-2006, 03:03 AM
maybe he's getting senile or something- the comment he made to Kim Clijster's (about two years ago) saying "can I hold you?" when she asked to hold the microphone after winning the open was inexcusable..... in addition to his seemingly limitless ineptitude regarding tennis. Any time we have friends over to watch games and he's commentating, we almost have to mute the TV until he shuts up.

CanadianChic
12-20-2006, 03:25 AM
Talk about reviving a very old thread. I can't stand the commentators and tend to mute them for the most part and analyze the players' moves on my own, so I'm not sure of the guy's name. He always says "Heeelllloo!" after a good shot, has a British (I believe) accent, and absolutely worships Federer. He is very annoying with the constant hellos and speaks alot of the players personal lives - information to which he should not even be privy to. Also, if I hear him give the run down on Blake's injury and dealing with his father's death one more time, I'll vomit. He says the speech verbatim and it's so very annoying. Wow, I feel better - carry on. :)

Moumine
12-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Talk about reviving a very old thread. I can't stand the commentators and tend to mute them for the most part and analyze the players' moves on my own, so I'm not sure of the guy's name. He always says "Heeelllloo!" after a good shot, has a British (I believe) accent, and absolutely worships Federer. He is very annoying with the constant hellos and speaks alot of the players personal lives - information to which he should not even be privy to. Also, if I hear him give the run down on Blake's injury and dealing with his father's death one more time, I'll vomit. He says the speech verbatim and it's so very annoying. Wow, I feel better - carry on. :)

Sounds like John Lloyd or possibly Andrew Castle.

armand
12-20-2006, 04:29 AM
Talk about reviving a very old thread. I can't stand the commentators and tend to mute them for the most part and analyze the players' moves on my own, so I'm not sure of the guy's name. He always says "Heeelllloo!" after a good shot, has a British (I believe) accent, and absolutely worships Federer. He is very annoying with the constant hellos and speaks alot of the players personal lives - information to which he should not even be privy to. Also, if I hear him give the run down on Blake's injury and dealing with his father's death one more time, I'll vomit. He says the speech verbatim and it's so very annoying. Wow, I feel better - carry on. :)If not for the Brit accent, I think it's Patrick McEnroe. Gotta respect him though; he carries great tennis DNA.

OrangeOne
12-20-2006, 04:31 AM
Johnny Mac was paid a six figure some to come down here for the Oz Open and commentate for Channel 7. He wasn't worth 100th of what they paid him.

And Ratty has it right about Pat Cash - his commentary usually involves "when I won Wimbledon...When I did this....When I did that...."

Would like to hear Courier, never had the luck to. I like some of the older guys - John Barret I always enjoy listening to, Fred Stolle and Tony Trabert too. I thought Martina Hingis did a surprisingly good job in the commentary booth this year down here - hopefully we'll get to hear more from her.

Everyone has it right about Cash - I couldn't agree more. If only he'd never won Wimbledon the world would have been able to forget him so much quicker! Ironically, he gets work in England but not much in Australia....

Courier is good - I'm a bit a fan, he's come out here to do Aus Open coverage too (maybe you missed that year or two assuming you're an aussie?.... and then CC's post prompts me and I look at the dates and realise that Courier was here the last year or two, and you wrote your post before then *lol*)

christos_liaskos
12-20-2006, 04:43 AM
Being from England, I cant comment much on the US tv commentators, but virtually all the 45+ British commentators just do my head in over here! Bill Threlfall (apparently retiring, thankfully, I dont think there has been anyone in the history of humanity who knows less about the subject that they are suppost to be talking about), John Barret, John Loyd and there could be one or two others. All these old foggies just have a ridiculous obsession with Tim Henman (and I should think Murray in years to come) that means they complement them and only them in every point. Henman could get absolutely pasted and his opponent play the best offensive point of their life and the commentators will just say 'unlucky Tim, good effort, almost got him'. Complete Idiots!!!!!!!!

The Gorilla
12-20-2006, 04:48 AM
It's not just Pat Cash, we're also forced to tolerate the uppermost unctuous peon cnut Sue Barker.

I've had the misfortune of meeting Sue Barker, over dinner, and she sucks harder than a full-on nuclear-powered sucky thing. The instensity of her Henman-eulogising literally knows no bounds, even at table, and she's extremely dull too.

bbc coverage of wimledon is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
andrew castle is an *****h*le,so is lloyd.I couldn't believe how bad it was.Their analysis is teeeeerrrrrrriiiibbbbbbllllllleeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Andrew castle and lloyd are always making disparaging remarks about players,I remember hewitt was playing nadal at queens,they started saying he was crap because he doesn't pound the ball at every oppurtunity,this led to,''And Nadal there,another player who can blow little lleyton off the court''.And the abuse they give henman there as well,you have a studio full of 'analysts'/wimbledon failures who've never come close to playing as well as henman let alone reach the semi's.And the interviews they force on players,that presenter of the tennis from sky is their lackey on bbc,he tried to interview hewitt before his nadal game,despite the fact that hewitt had told them he wanted to concentrate on his game.After henman was beaten by federer in wimbledon,andrew castle kept going on in commentary about how he thought henman was going to retire now,all the other commentators,(mcenroe,connors) told him not to ask henman that,said they didn't think he would or should retire,but castle asked him anyway,in an aggressive manner,right after the game so he could get his precious exclusive,imagine being bagelled and then having to face this ar$h*le!If I was henman and won wimbledon next year I'd tell the british public to go f*ck themselves in the acceptance speech and then helicopter myself out of there.They think he owes it to them to win wimbledon,he owes it to himself and no-one else.
in conclusion,I know I went a bit off topic here but,bbc tennis coverage is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!especially after watching rg on eurosport with commentary by wilander(genius...legend)

Rhino
12-20-2006, 04:53 AM
I would say Andrew Castle is the worst commentator. if I sit down to watch a good match and then hear his voice, I feel like the match is semi ruined and i have to either mute him or feel annoyed throughout.

Shabazza
12-20-2006, 05:00 AM
Being from England, I cant comment much on the US tv commentators, but virtually all the 45+ British commentators just do my head in over here! Bill Threlfall (apparently retiring, thankfully, I dont think there has been anyone in the history of humanity who knows less about the subject that they are suppost to be talking about), John Barret, John Loyd and there could be one or two others. All these old foggies just have a ridiculous obsession with Tim Henman (and I should think Murray in years to come) that means they complement them and only them in every point. Henman could get absolutely pasted and his opponent play the best offensive point of their life and the commentators will just say 'unlucky Tim, good effort, almost got him'. Complete Idiots!!!!!!!!

I like them, they can't even be compared to the stupid and clueless comments made by Pam Shriver and Cliff Drysdale (when will he retire?).

christos_liaskos
12-20-2006, 05:04 AM
bbc coverage of wimledon is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
andrew castle is an *****h*le,so is lloyd.I couldn't believe how bad it was.Their analysis is teeeeerrrrrrriiiibbbbbbllllllleeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Andrew castle and lloyd are always making disparaging remarks about players,I remember hewitt was playing nadal at queens,they started saying he was crap because he doesn't pound the ball at every oppurtunity,this led to,''And Nadal there,another player who can blow little lleyton off the court''.And the abuse they give henman there as well,you have a studio full of 'analysts'/wimbledon failures who've never come close to playing as well as henman let alone reach the semi's.And the interviews they force on players,that presenter of the tennis from sky is their lackey on bbc,he tried to interview hewitt before his nadal game,despite the fact that hewitt had told them he wanted to concentrate on his game.After henman was beaten by federer in wimbledon,andrew castle kept going on in commentary about how he thought henman was going to retire now,all the other commentators,(mcenroe,connors) told him not to ask henman that,said they didn't think he would or should retire,but castle asked him anyway,in an aggressive manner,right after the game so he could get his precious exclusive,imagine being bagelled and then having to face this ar$h*le!If I was henman and won wimbledon next year I'd tell the british public to go f*ck themselves in the acceptance speech and then helicopter myself out of there.They think he owes it to them to win wimbledon,he owes it to himself and no-one else.
in conclusion,I know I went a bit off topic here but,bbc tennis coverage is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!especially after watching rg on eurosport with commentary by wilander(genius...legend)

Kind of contradicting my point about the British commentators loving Henman lol. But at the same time you are right because what I pointed has been relevant over the last 5-10 years but now that Henman is nearing the end of his career they feel they can trash talk him. Just shows they have no idea what they are taling about and just state what is going on right infront of them instead of taking history and other things going on in the rest of tennis to account. I have never been a big fan of Henman but I have to say I was put off him more by the ridiculous commentary that he gets with the constant 'Tim Lovin' over here. I can see exactly the same happening with Murray in years to come.

christos_liaskos
12-20-2006, 05:10 AM
I like them, they can't even be compared to the stupid and clueless comments made by Pam Shriver and Cliff Drysdale (when will he retire?).

I am not sure exactly when Bill Threlfall is suppost to be retiring but I am sure I heard it recently, or maybe it was another one of the old foggies. An example though of his ridiculous comments, when watching Federer, 'I can believe how he spins the racket in his hands and somehow at the end of it all finds the right grip in order to return serve'. Is this man on dope or something! Has he never played tennis or even picked up a racket? I remember Peter Fleming was commentating with him at the same time and when Bill stated/asked Fleming this ridiculous question, Fleming was speechless. What a ******!

Its one thing to say Federer's play is amazing but to be amazed by him spinnig his racket in his hand is ridiculous. If I showed him a couple of tricks I can do with my racket would probably think I am a god or something! Idiot!

The Gorilla
12-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Kind of contradicting my point about the British commentators loving Henman lol. But at the same time you are right because what I pointed has been relevant over the last 5-10 years but now that Henman is nearing the end of his career they feel they can trash talk him. Just shows they have no idea what they are taling about and just state what is going on right infront of them instead of taking history and other things going on in the rest of tennis to account. I have never been a big fan of Henman but I have to say I was put off him more by the ridiculous commentary that he gets with the constant 'Tim Lovin' over here. I can see exactly the same happening with Murray in years to come.
you're right,they loooooooovveeeeddddd henman 'til murray came along,and the same thing will definitly happen to murray if he doesn't win wimbledon for them.It's weird the way the brits take it personally that henman never won wimby for them.

The Gorilla
12-20-2006, 05:11 AM
I am not sure exactly when Bill Threlfall is suppost to be retiring but I am sure I heard it recently, or maybe it was another one of the old foggies. An example though of his ridiculous comments, when watching Federer, 'I can believe how he spins the racket in his hands and somehow at the end of it all finds the right grip in order to return serve'. Is this man on dope or something! Has he never played tennis or even picked up a racket? I remember Peter Fleming was commentating with him at the same time and when Bill stated/asked Fleming this ridiculous question, Fleming was speechless. What a ******!

never heard of threlfall but that is VERY funny.

BiGGieStuFF
12-20-2006, 05:25 AM
I would have voted enberg if he was up there.

The Gorilla
12-20-2006, 08:31 AM
michael stich is excellent though,and boris is ok as an analyst,everyone else really does deserve to be fired.

pound cat
12-20-2006, 08:43 AM
A guy on Radio Tennis with a monocromatic low voice who called a Marat match and called him SATIN (as in devil) for the duration. I have put his name, if I ever knoew it, to the very back of my mind.

christos_liaskos
12-20-2006, 08:52 AM
A guy on Radio Tennis with a monocromatic low voice who called a Marat match and called him SATIN (as in devil) for the duration. I have put his name, if I ever knoew it, to the very back of my mind.

Why the hell do these broadcast companys scrape the barrel looking for commentators. I genuinely wonder sometimes if the people they get do actually know anything about tennis just like someone asking me to come up with a report on cryongenically frozen membrane or something stupid. I mean when they are short of people to work do they get the weatherman to stand in or something? Again I stand by my comment earlier about Bill (the loonatic, nonsense talking idiot) Threlfall

edmondsm
12-20-2006, 09:15 AM
This is a tough one but I think Mary Carillo is the run away favorite. I think tennis is one of the hardest sports to comment on because there are only two athletes to talk about for what can end up being hours. A Federer match can turn into what seems like endless gushing and that is why Mary Carillo takes this one. The way she talks about Fed has me wearing out my mute button.

Gugafan_Redux
12-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Ha, I thought this was a new thread, just a repeat. Looks like I already gave my opinion -- almost two years ago. I need to get a life.

Polaris
12-20-2006, 12:35 PM
As commentators go, the ones in my Hall of Shame are not even on your list: John McEnroe and Dick Enberg. The former treats everything as an ego trip, the latter doesn't seem to understand tennis at all. The US Open 2006 had the worst trio you could imagine: Carrillo, John McEnroe and Enberg, and I actually felt grateful when Carrillo chipped in. Enberg was busy getting his names mixed up, and McEnroe idiotically kept harping on Roddick's "I'm enjoying this so much" statement at 5-5 in the third set.

The really good ones: John Barrett, Vijay Amritraj. Mark Woodforde and John Newcombe are nice as well.

CanadianChic
12-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Sounds like John Lloyd or possibly Andrew Castle.

Thanks, yeah, I'll have to find out who he is during the AO so I can vote on this thread. I know it's not McEnroe and I know he covers all the slams. Hmmm....interesting.

JW10S
12-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Barry MacKay--I think he has it written into his contract that he has to use the phrase 'reminds me of a guy by the name of Kenny Rosewall' at least once per broadcast.

omniexist
12-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Two words.

Dick Enberg.

prostaff18
12-20-2006, 06:30 PM
"Federer is only 2 games from the championship"- The Great Dick Enberg when Federer was up 30-0 serving for a match.

Also this year for the USO Directv had that thing with lots of different matches and some of the people that commentated those matches on the outside courts were the worst. I mean they didnt even know the players names.

oscar_2424
12-20-2006, 06:34 PM
My vote goes to Mary Carrillo

Starlite
12-20-2006, 06:40 PM
If I had to choose one, Dick Enberg it would be, he's so clueless! There are far too many horrible tennis commentators. This poll should be multiple choice with an all of the above option. Why can't the networks find some more adequate commentators?

dschwa00
01-22-2010, 05:03 PM
It is not even a contest. Barry MacKay is THE worst!!! His voice is horrendous. He sounds like the idiot that he is and his commentary is completely worthless. "Netcord! "Just catches the tape!" "Just over the baseline" Why does this man still have a job. I just came to this board to vent because not only does Tennis Channel now have Barry MacKay, they also have to pair him with the worst female commentator ever to pick up a microphone, Elise Burgin. They just ruin the broadcast. I want to hear the ball hit the strings and the bounce of the ball. I want to hear the players venting there frustration, challenging calls and talking to the chair umpire. I do not want to hear two incompetents telling the obvious and talking for just the sake of preventing dead air. Get these morons off of my television and on-line broadcasts....PLEASE!!!!!

oy vey
01-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Doug Adler and Justin Gimelstob

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Jesus there are so many terrible commentators and many are american. My list starts from the bottom of a septic tank up. The bottom being the most vile, putrid *****.

Barry Mackay (Mr Whisper) its good, drop shot, slice.
Mary Carillo, Her voice alone makes me want to stab myself
Martina, The two handed backhand is just a more secure ball.
Bud Collins, The lame one with all of the pink clothes on giving you a bunch of history that you couldn't possibly care less about.

I think thats enough. There are others believe me.

Dominik
01-22-2010, 07:54 PM
I think Cliff Drysdale is amazing! His accent is very cool.

On the other hand, does anyone else think Brad Gilbert is really annoying?

paulorenzo
01-22-2010, 07:56 PM
jason goodall, good thing koenig is there to even things out.

AM95
01-22-2010, 08:01 PM
why isnt dick endberg on here?

darthpwner
01-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Mary Carillo

Fee
01-22-2010, 08:42 PM
why isnt dick endberg on here?

check the date on the first post of the thread.

Rjtennis
01-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Brad Gilbert bugs me bad. He thinks he is gods gift to tennis & life. He has these cute little nicknames for everyone on the tour and is just an idiot.

I really like Darren Cahill though.

valiant
01-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Jim is cool.

kanamit
01-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Luke Jensen without a doubt. Say what you will about Carillo spewing fluff, JMac not shutting up. But Jensen yells into the microphone on exciting points! OUCH!

Pushmaster
01-22-2010, 09:45 PM
All of them except Courier are pretty bad, he doesn't even belong on the list. Corilla is the worst of the lot though, mainly because I can't stand her manly voice.

Bloodshed
01-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Chris Fowler really needs to be fired though. He sounded so goddamn ****ed off when Andreev was about to serve for the match in the 3rd set vs Federer and he was like mad that Fed could of beeb beaten in round 1. It was really irritating to hear him talk and he doesn't seem knowledgeable in tennis at all.

I love how he thinks someone beating 4,4,4 is cruise control. It's just one break each set for f*ck sakes.

Pam Shriver is just an annoying b1tch and a complete **** when it comes to American Players or players that brings TV ratings. God could you imagine if the William Sisters, Henin, Clijsters and Sharapova would be gone before week 1? How she would react? She would make everyone her look and sound dumber. She also needs to go.

Carillo is just freaking annoying but not as much as Shriver though. She doesn't say the dumbest things in the world but she can say alot of nonsense (but I do like her nonsense at certain times so we can laugh at her).

Now as far as good commentators goes:

Jim Courier is probably my fav commentator along with Daren Cahill because they barely kiss any American players' asses and are very knowledgable.

Then I would P.Mcenroe and Brad Gilbert in the same category, while being relatively biased with American players, they give some good insight thoughtful information (although Gilbert thinks he's king sh1t when it comes to analysis and personal stats).

The only female commentator I really like is Mary Joe Fernandez. I think she has no choice to be biased towards the Williams sisters (Being the DC captain and the WS forced MJ to talk nothing but good stuff about them or the WS will not show up for DC) but very informative and knowledgeable for the women's game.

DaMiBru
01-23-2010, 06:08 AM
Fowler I can take, Drysdale is usually appropiate, P Mac is alright, Couries is great to listen to due to his experience with modern day tennis, J Mac is fun, Gilbert is doable and funny at times, Gimelstop is ok for same reason as Courier.

Carillo is by far the worst, Fernandez sucks, Schriver isn't passionate, Mackay is horrible, and who the hell is that McKendry lady?

zebra_cam
01-23-2010, 06:21 AM
I would have to say Boris Becker is the worst. He ruined the Wimbledon final last year for me. You can barely understand him, which was distracting during the match.

Ripster
01-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I can't listen to Chris McKendry. She knows nothing about tennis and her segments/interviews are painfully awkward.

Green374
01-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Where is the Dick Enberg button!

quest01
01-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I'll go with either p mac or Mary Carillo, they are both the most annoying commentators in the game.

HunterST
01-23-2010, 11:21 AM
I really don't think any of them are so bad. Typically, most claims of a bias commentator actually reveal the bias of the fan. We're hypersensitive to any negative comments about our favorite players.

sillymonkey
01-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Where is the Gimelstob button??

jamesblakefan#1
01-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Barry McKay. Anytime the ball hits the net during a rally, he has to say "net cord", as if we didn't see or hear the ball hitting the net. Also he has to say "that's in" in the middle of a rally, as if we couldn't see that the ball was in and the rally is still going on.

crocon
01-23-2010, 11:53 AM
My initial instinct was Mary Carillo, but when I saw Luke Jensen I had to vote for him. The decision would have been a little tougher if Gimelstob was an option.

JayChu
01-23-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm surprised none of you guys chose Chris Fowler. I was watching the 3rd round match between Roddick-Lopez match the other day, and the guy said "Roddick advances to the 3rd round" three times. I was very shocked by the amount of times he said that because if you are a commentator, I think you should know what round these guys are trying to advance to.

But, if I had to choose from the list, Carillo. She sounds like a man...and most of the time she just rambles that is not related to tennis.

Serendipitous
01-23-2010, 01:08 PM

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/45/hama0.jpg

GS
01-23-2010, 01:12 PM
In the past, when Bent Hamburger (er, I mean Brent Musberger) was assigned to cover tennis, he was always terrible. But then, almost all of them nowadays are bad. Bring back Fred Stolle---he just told the facts and was the least annoying. Jim Courier was decent, too.

statto
01-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Obviously this is skewed toward US commentary, but speaking as a UK tennis viewer I find the quality of commentary is usually, though not always, directly proportional to the quality of player.

By far the best - John McEnroe and Frew McMillan
Next best - John Lloyd
Then - Boris Becker and Pat Cash
Poor - Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski
Absolute worst - Andrew Castle

fedhingis515
01-23-2010, 01:48 PM

I know! He's the worst!

Serendipitous
01-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I know! He's the worst!

Hey brother.....:)

fedhingis515
01-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Hey brother.....:)

United at last... :wink:

fedhingis515
01-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm watching a repeat of the Djokovic match on Tennis Channel. Who's the commentator?

Serendipitous
01-23-2010, 02:27 PM
United at last... :wink:

Yay! :|

:D:D

topspin
01-23-2010, 02:35 PM
worst: Enberg and Pam Shriver

best: Darren Cahill

most entertaining: Johnny Mac

rhubarb
01-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Obviously this is skewed toward US commentary, but speaking as a UK tennis viewer I find the quality of commentary is usually, though not always, directly proportional to the quality of player.

By far the best - John McEnroe and Frew McMillan
Next best - John Lloyd
Then - Boris Becker and Pat Cash
Poor - Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski
Absolute worst - Andrew Castle

Very glad to see Frew is held in such high esteem. Miss hearing him nowadays (is he still on Eurosport?).

I totally concur with your ranking of Mr GMTV, too. Talk about dumbing down; if he's on a match, I'll try and get a feed without commentary, and failing that, switch the sound off.

TepidFish
01-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Barry McKay. Anytime the ball hits the net during a rally, he has to say "net cord", as if we didn't see or hear the ball hitting the net. Also he has to say "that's in" in the middle of a rally, as if we couldn't see that the ball was in and the rally is still going on.

The guy always comments on faults throughout the entire match, "thats a fault".... drives me nuts listening to him

samprasvsfederer123
01-23-2010, 03:01 PM
pam shriver is like firecrakers to my ears god shes horrible

but the person i really hate, i dont know his name.. is this guy that talks in directv's coverage of tennis he just talks on and on while the points going on, points out the obvious and also a very annoying voice, same narrators on espn 360

i do have to say i love to hear the entertaining coverage by p mac i do hate how he kisses federer's *** non stop though

Gaudio2004
01-23-2010, 03:49 PM
All of them, I hate tennis commentary, only Frew Macmillian and Tim Henman are okay - others you just wish there was a "mute commentator" button for.

Dean
01-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Sandy Roberts from Channel 7 - Melbourne

"He's being forced into a lot of unforced errors"

What a moron.:???:

jamesblakefan#1
01-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Tarango is an idiot. He even sounds like a jerk. How the heck did he get a job after that stunt he pulled at Wimbledon? He and McKay are making my ears bleed.

CAM178
01-30-2010, 11:49 AM
This is an easy one: Justin Gimelstob. He is the worst I've ever heard, in over 20 years of watching tennis. Dude needs a seriously heavy dose of Kaopectate for his mouth.

skip1969
01-30-2010, 11:55 AM

lol. too true, too true. i know it must be his "thing" just like enberg says "oh my!" all the time . . . but it is annoying. maybe he thinks he's doing play-by-play on the radio? i don't know.

dschwa00
01-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Luke AND Murphy Jensen are pretty tough to listen to. Everyone on the Tennis Channel barring Ted Robinson and John McEcnroe with an EXTREME emphasis on Tracy Austin and MalVai Washington being just GOD-AWFUL!!! Honorable mention GOD-AWFUL goes to Jimmy Arias (although, he really gives Tracy a good run!) Chris Evert is the worst on ESPN and Chris Fowler needs to concentrate on College Football and Kris McKendry is just lost!!!!

dschwa00
01-17-2012, 09:31 AM
But, yes, Barry MacKay is the WORST OF ALL-TIME!!!!

Shaolin
01-17-2012, 10:22 AM
lol. too true, too true. i know it must be his "thing" just like enberg says "oh my!" all the time . . . but it is annoying. maybe he thinks he's doing play-by-play on the radio? i don't know.

Carillo is the worst IMO but Barry Mckay is a close second. That annoying habit of telling you what you just saw. What really irritates me is that he has to tell you repeatedly "IT'S a fault" literally every serve that faults. I mean, we can see it was out and hear the call. A third reminder is not necessary. He does it with every other call too..IT'S wide, IT'S long. He should stick to radio.

robertk29
01-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Cam178..You are so right.. Toooooo funny. TC must like him tho, they keep bringing him back.

Up&comer
01-17-2012, 04:09 PM
What about Evert???

MichaelNadal
01-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Mary Carillo all the way, she's so biased and unknowledgeable it's insane.

Sid_Vicious
01-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Mary Carillo all the way, she's so biased and unknowledgeable it's insane.

Also she can really brown-nose the players she likes in her commentary.

ClarkC
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Martina Navratilova is knowledgeable, but she needs to overcome her shyness and speak up. She should not just sit there and let the other commentators do all the talking all the time.

mellowyellow
01-17-2012, 06:22 PM
I voted PMac, only because Fowler was not on the list.

jokinla
01-17-2012, 07:37 PM
This is an easy one: Justin Gimelstob. He is the worst I've ever heard, in over 20 years of watching tennis. Dude needs a seriously heavy dose of Kaopectate for his mouth.

+1000, he is awful. I'm assuming when this poll was started he wasn't commentating yet, because he should be the top seed. I see it was started in 04, he was still playing Challengers back then.

Hood_Man
01-17-2012, 07:43 PM
The Australian woman who was commentating the qualifying matches for the Oz Open. I don't know if her knowledge was any good because her voice was just SOOO incredibly irritating, I had to watch it on mute. I wouldn't even do that to J McEnroe.

Andrew Castle annoys me to epic proportions, but he does at least have a pretty good voice for commentary I'll give him that.

nikdom
01-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Brad Gilbert.

Hate his analysis, made up words, aphorisms and his attitude. He should be coaching a brat somewhere in a country club, not on TV polluting our ears.

jgreen06
01-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Jeff Tarango and Doug Adler. Are you guys watching the Raonic Petzchner match on watchespn right now??? This is unreal. So bad.

OddJack
01-18-2012, 06:10 PM
worst is mary joe fernandez.

Mary, Patrick, Gilbert, Jim, are not bad commentators.

You guys havnt heard bad commentating

skip1969
01-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Jeff Tarango and Doug Adler. Are you guys watching the Raonic Petzchner match on watchespn right now??? This is unreal. So bad.
it's been painful. i put on the mute in the second set. i couldn't take it. honestly, i haven't heard one good commentary all week so far. everyone has been dire.

good thing is, it's the first week and i've gotten to watch a couple of matches completely commentator-free on espn3. heaven.

dschwa00
01-18-2012, 07:16 PM
(1.Elise Burgin, (1A- that's how bad Elise Burgin is!-when this putz, Barry MacKay finishes behind Elise Burgin in a "Worst list!") (tied for 2nd)Tracy Austin and Chris Evert, (3.) MalVai Washington, tied for 4th-Lindsay Davenport and Jimmy Arias!!!!

It's really difficult to really sort the above because on any given broadcast I can annoyed at any one of these inept fools and re-sort the list!!! But, currently, the most annoying, inept, hopeless Elise Burgin is No. 1!!!!

dschwa00
01-18-2012, 07:18 PM
It's really difficult to really sort the above because on any given broadcast I can (become)annoyed at any one of these inept fools and re-sort the list!!! But, currently, the most annoying, inept, hopeless Elise Burgin is No. 1!!!!

Sorry about that!!! :)

GregN
01-18-2012, 08:09 PM
In Australia we have Bruce McAvaney who reckons Tomics's game is sexy? as well as Roger Rasheed who can't string a coherent sentence together and some English hasbeen Samantha Smith who just talks non stop rubbish, just for the sake of hearing her own voice.

The Djoker
01-18-2012, 08:26 PM
PAM Shriver. Easy. I love Mary Carillo. Brad Gilbert and Darren Cahill are also faves of mine. Not a big fan of Cliffy, but the accent almost makes up for it. PMac is good but kinda boring. mary Jo is good. I didnt mean to ramble sorry!

slickerthansleek
01-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Samantha Smith just rambles on incoherent nonsense, it's irritating. I really like Courier as a commentator though. McAvaney is okay, but I wish he'd stick to AFL. Rasheed... I don't quite understand why he is there, he rarely says anything of value. Bring back Henri Leconte.

nadalwon2012
01-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Jim courier gets the most predictions and interpretations wrong.

Wicked4hand
01-18-2012, 09:44 PM
The worse was yesterday... She did on Bopana and Bhupati double match. She is anoying n keep repeating the same zhiet all day

IvanisevicServe
01-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Pam. The "C" word was invented for her.

Chris Evert is the runner up, and the aforementioned statement can also apply to her. She is just OOZING with that quality.

tennytive
01-19-2012, 06:31 AM
It was long ago, but Pat Harman used to be in the CBS booth along with JMac and Carillo if I remember right.

Word had it that between matches he would leave and then return bombed out of his mind and say the most unintelligible things during the match.

JMac and Carillo did their best to cover, but also said they were in danger of being under the influence from his breath alone.

Bud Collins also used to annoy me with his "net cord" outbursts and "mini break" comment *every* time someone lost a point in a tie breaker.

Not to mention his plaid pants…

dschwa00
01-23-2012, 04:39 PM
January 23rd, 2012: Did anyone see the sad excuse for an interview this morning (approx. 1AM EST) with Roger Federer? Fed is my favorite player so I was trapped because two of the very WORST were talking to the classy Roger. It was so god-awful! Kris McKendry and Chris Evert!!!! Maybe the worst interview I have ever heard. Kris McKendry knows nothing and Chris is, well let's just say that now we know why her marriage to Greg Norman lasted, what 48 hrs.?????!!!!! ESPN does not really like to show tennis and anytime they have an opportunity to speak to a player like Roger they are surely going to take advantage, particularly when it's an opportunity to disrupt a good match (at least from the outset!) between Richard Gasquet and David Ferrer! Let's be honest, ESPN hates to show tennis!

robertk29
01-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Navratilova has got to be the worse. Is there anyone in this world that can make that woman shut the helllllllllll up, and why is she calling mens' matches?? I'd get ESPN2 but Comcast will charge me 70 bucks extra, and I heard they cutoff the last set of the final this am to go to "Sports Center"??

Timbo's hopeless slice
01-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Oh, bruce McAvaney by far. I don't think he has ever played tennis, for one, and he has a really superficial understanding of the tour. At one point, he was writing off Feli Lopez as 'a journeyman pro' and basically questioning why he would continue on the circuit.. Courier and John Fitzgerald ripped him to pieces over it..

rdis10093
01-29-2012, 01:30 PM
dent and hewitt both do a nice job, but carillo is not so great.

woodrow1029
03-27-2012, 03:01 PM
I take back everything I have said ever about bad commentators.

The worst commentator has to be Doug Adler!

jayoub95
03-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Mary Carillo. Lleyton Hewitt is not that bad surprisingly..

kaku
03-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Whoever was the women commentating the Murray-Simon match today. Pretty sure she did Brisbane/Kooyong as well. Doug Adler is also bad when you listen to him, i just let his voice fade away behind the South African Diamond Cutter Robbie Koenig.

Hood_Man
03-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Whoever was the women commentating the Murray-Simon match today. Pretty sure she did Brisbane/Kooyong as well.

I didn't see that match, but is she the Australian sounding commentator who sounds like? Every time she speaks? She's asking a question? All the time?

1970CRBase
03-27-2012, 04:21 PM
ALL the US commentators who seem to think it is really about them and their mouths. In particular ex greats always manage to steer the talk back to themselves. I prefer the British commentators.

kaku
03-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I didn't see that match, but is she the Australian sounding commentator who sounds like? Every time she speaks? She's asking a question? All the time?

That's the one. I can't stand how she semi-shouts everything she says and how she tries to find little negatives in every single point any player plays

Hood_Man
03-27-2012, 07:03 PM
That's the one. I can't stand how she semi-shouts everything she says and how she tries to find little negatives in every single point any player plays

I swear she doesn't offer any insight either. There'll be a long rally and no matter what happens her response at the end will always be "Oh no? He/She should have hit for a winnar, but they left it? It was there for the taking? They have to make those shots count?"

I just want to scream at my monitor "No S***!"

stormholloway
03-27-2012, 07:24 PM
ALL the US commentators who seem to think it is really about them and their mouths. In particular ex greats always manage to steer the talk back to themselves. I prefer the British commentators.

I agree here. Robbie Koenig isn't British but I really like his style. His head is in the match and not on his own ego.

Johnny Mac is probably the most overrated

ZeroSkid
03-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Whoever was the women commentating the Murray-Simon match today. Pretty sure she did Brisbane/Kooyong as well. Doug Adler is also bad when you listen to him, i just let his voice fade away behind the South African Diamond Cutter Robbie Koenig.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jokinla
03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Gimelstob is the worst, after Fish won today he couldn't stop talking about Roddick/Fish in the quarters, as if Roddick had already won, what an ***.

wimble10
03-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Adler seemed off today.

tennis_pro
03-27-2012, 08:04 PM
don't know about the worst but this is by far the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=occXim41124 check out the commentary after the 6:36 point

jayoub95
03-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Henri Leconte is the best!

OriginalHockeytowner
03-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Chris Evert, too annoying for words

RF20Lennon
03-27-2012, 08:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=occXim41124

lololol yeap!!!

RF20Lennon
03-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Personally i like the Mac brothers the best. Koenig-Goodall to follow but Dick Enberg and Cliff Drysdale are the ones i hate the most

RF20Lennon
03-27-2012, 08:15 PM

lol didnt he say that at the fed vs. djokovic shanghai 2010 match after fed hit that angled backhand to save bp?

jayoub95
03-27-2012, 10:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=occXim41124 check out the commentary after the 6:36 point

Hahaha yeah thats epic commentary :lol: arabians get too excited..

Tenez101
03-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Why is Luke Jensen even an option...

Clay lover
03-28-2012, 12:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhqyeqKmZxQ

Like soccer commentary. best EVA.

Stringer_Steve
03-28-2012, 04:34 AM
Simply, Brett Haber sucks! And as mentioned, Jim Lampley for his utter lack of knowledge.

DRII
03-28-2012, 04:59 AM
No choice for the worst ever: Doug Adler (sic).

Absolutely horrible!

813wilson
03-28-2012, 05:12 AM
I am glad to have the Tennis Channel again. I wish....

1) Someone would do a 10 second video, with audio, of every player. Have them look straight into the camera and simply ask - "would you please pronounce your name for me?" Then make EVERY commentator watch it and learn the correct ones. Doug Adler last night Del Potro - pronouncing "pot" as in a cooking pot instead of "poat" as in rhyming with boat....(sorry, best way i could write it) AND we'd get the proper emphasis on the proper syllable for so many of the European last names....

2) Put a muzzle on Justin Gimelblab - his "technique" of really trying to emphasize certain points/items in a match by speaking in very matter of fact / dramatic tones drives me nuts. Indian Wells calling a Federer match with Brett Haber. Federer goes to change racquets and we get this: "Fed changes his racquets in conjunction with the change of balls." 30 seconds later, Haber: "aren't we a game away from new balls?" Gimelblab: "Yes. He does it the game before to get the best tension for his service game." Huh. I always thought "in conjunction" was sort of like saying "with". Learned something new right there.....

3) Overall - less is more when calling a match.

4) Get rid of the scroll, change the score box, and do something w/ the logo and "live". All of this "stuff" takes up 15% of the viewing screen. They showed a 1st, second, ace stat last night that, because of the scroll, you can't even see which is which. Do the scroll a couple of times per set. I don't need to see teh "schedule" four times in a service game....

Sorry, it has been on my mind for a while. Down from soap box, rant complete

DRII
03-28-2012, 05:21 AM
I am glad to have the Tennis Channel again. I wish....

1) Someone would do a 10 second video, with audio, of every player. Have them look straight into the camera and simply ask - "would you please pronounce your name for me?" Then make EVERY commentator watch it and learn the correct ones. Doug Adler last night Del Potro - pronouncing "pot" as in a cooking pot instead of "poat" as in rhyming with boat....(sorry, best way i could write it) AND we'd get the proper emphasis on the proper syllable for so many of the European last names....

2) Put a muzzle on Justin Gimelblab - he "technique" of really trying to emphasize certain points/items in a match by speaking in very matter of fact / dramatic tones drives me nuts. Indian Wells calling a Federer match with Brett Haber. Federer goes to change racquets and we get this: "Fed changes his racquets in conjunction with the change of balls." 30 seconds later, Haber: "aren't we a game away from new balls?" Gimelblab: "Yes. He does it the game before to get the best tension for his service game." Huh. I always thought "in conjunction" was sort of like saying "with". Learned something new right there.....

4) Get rid of the scroll, change the score box, and do something w/ the logo and "live". All of this "stuff" takes up 15% of the viewing screen. They showed a 1st, second, ace stat last night that, because of the scroll, you can't even see which is which. Do the scroll a couple of times per set. I don't need to see teh "schedule" four times in a service game....

Sorry, it has been on my mind for a while. Down from soap box, rant complete

Same here (I agree)! And why do the other commentators ask him questions like he's the resident expert and what he says is fact :confused:

It just makes his tone that much more falsely self-assured :twisted:

NE1for10is?
03-28-2012, 05:35 AM
For me it's a toss up between John MacEnroe for his bullying of the other commentators and even the viewers at times, and the guys who are on TennisChannel sometimes with the British or Aussie accents (I don't know their names) for their sheer boring, monotone and superficial commentary.

My favorite by far is Patrick MacEnroe and Cliff Drysdale when they are together. They are always interesting and interested in the sport, share a lot of insight on the tactics of the game and seem to have fun playing off each other with a good sense of humour.

jmverdugo
03-28-2012, 05:48 AM
Sometimes is more about the combo, like saying any doubles team with McEnroe is good, any booth team with Gimelstob is bound for disaster, my main problem is that he over commentates, they guys are playing and he is making jokes about his commentator partner. The worst one was when he teamed up with Mary Carrillo, that was unbearable, I am very good at not paying attention to things I simply do not care for but I could not stop hearing these guys, is worst that chips without salsa...

On the other side I miss my boys from ESPN Deportes (Latin American channel) Luis Alfredo Alvarez y Javier Frana are really good and they make a good team. Also from this side of the world I like Lindsay D. I think she is respectful with a lot of knowledge and very refreshing.

TripleB
03-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Dick Enberg!

TripleB

Magnetite
03-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Chris Evert.

wimble10
03-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Drysdale and mary jo fernandez. Haven't used the mute till today. Cliffy + MJF = mute

flyinghippos101
03-28-2012, 10:35 AM

What do you mean? I think this type of commentating is great! I love the al jazeera commentator; he just sounds so excited and enthusiastic every match he commentates, it's awesome.

Crayola Oblongata
03-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I dunno if I've mentioned him before, and he's probably not the worst, but he does my head in:
http://www.wintennis.net/images/andrew_castle_win_ambassador.gif

TheTruth
03-28-2012, 01:05 PM
1) Someone would do a 10 second video, with audio, of every player. Have them look straight into the camera and simply ask - "would you please pronounce your name for me?" Then make EVERY commentator watch it and learn the correct ones. AND we'd get the proper emphasis on the proper syllable for so many of the European last names....

2) Put a muzzle on Justin Gimelblab

If I hear the word exponential or exponentially one more time I'm going to scream.

Great points but I have to go with Fowler as I'm listening to the Murray/Tipsarevic match and he and his colleagues are intimating that Murray is faking. Fowler, (paraphrased) "He didn't seem to have any stomach trouble before he lost that lead."

He has no idea what's going on with Murray. Just another example of unfair commentary.

TheTruth
03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
I take back everything I have said ever about bad commentators.

The worst commentator has to be Doug Adler!

Agree. He talks during the commentary too much, and about inane topics. For example, what he thinks the player is thinking :confused:.

Gonzalito17
03-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Pat Mac, BG, Cahill, Drysdale, Evert, Johnn Mac, Fowler, Koenig, Goodall, Luke Jensen, Stolle are all the best.

The worst...it was Enberg but he retired. Enberg had a super sweet voice but his lack of knowledge about pro level tennis destroyed his work. He's still good for any other sport but not tennis because there are too many great commentators which make him look woefully inferior.

kanamit
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
It's popular to bash Mary Carillo for whatever reason, but anybody who thinks she is worse than Luke Jensen has never heard Luke Jensen.

vernonbc
03-29-2012, 05:45 AM
Chris Evert, too annoying for words
Definitely. I don't watch much WTA at the best of times but the minute I hear her voice the channel definitely gets changed.

Absolutely the worst though is Sam Gore. Twitter just lights up when he's on with 99% of the comments being "Shut up Sam!!!!!"

Tony48
03-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Mary Carillo: She makes me laugh :)
P Mac: I think he does a good job. He actually analyzes the match and provides some insightful opinions.
Mal Washington: Who?
Barry Mackay: What he does barely qualifies as commentary. It's like he thinks the viewers are blind. "That was in!" No, really?
Jim Courier: He fawns over Federer in every match and it makes me sick.
Luke Jensen: I don't hear his commentary very often, but I'm not particularly a fan of his.

My personal list:

Justin Gimmelstob: He commentates like he's trying to impress the audience. He needs to spend less time being verbose and more time analyzing the match in his own words. Sometimes he just gets to talking and can't seem to stop. And while his matter-of-fact manner can sometimes be endearing, it at times comes off as arrogant and obstinate. In other words, he is awful.
Chris Evert: ANNOYING, ANNOYING, ANNOYING.
Martina Navratilova: Almost as bad as Gimelstob. Sometimes she just rambles on after she made her point 12 sentences ago.

wimble10
03-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Fowler gets my vote today. It seemed he was heavily favoring Fish. This is fine but try to give Monaco a little bit of credit for the win and not just say it was just "a gift" by Fish on Juan's birthday. That's pretty tacky.

Spin Doctor
03-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know what happened with that English guy that usually commentates with Koenig? Haven't heard him in a while.

Sam Gore is starting to bug me, albeit mildly.

vernonbc
03-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Does anyone know what happened with that English guy that usually commentates with Koenig? Haven't heard him in a while.

Jason Goodall? I've heard him on British streams a couple of times although I don't know if that was BBC or Eurosport or some other channel. Hope he and Robbie get back together for some tourneys soon. They're the best.

niff
03-29-2012, 11:14 PM

Sam Gore is starting to bug me, albeit mildly.
Goodall is coming back for MC/clay season, thank god.

li0scc0
03-30-2012, 04:25 AM
John McEnroe.

juanparty
03-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Jose Luis Clerk, ESPn Latin America

Wangtang1
03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ3LdqQudDI

Skip to 7:40 for the best tennis commentary moment ever. That was right after Roddick missed THAT volley and we knew he was tight.

ga tennis
03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Tracey Austin is the worst by far!

niff
03-30-2012, 11:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ3LdqQudDI

Skip to 7:40 for the best tennis commentary moment ever. That was right after Roddick missed THAT volley and we knew he was tight.
Hahah Boris! I am actually dying laughing. Dramaz.

ledwix
03-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Is there some kind of rule in this world where if you like to watch tennis, you must necessarily hate commentators, and every fan thinks they could do a better job in the same place?

JimF
03-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Pam Shriver and John McEnroe are by far the worst announcers that get a significant amount of air time IMHO.

li0scc0
03-31-2012, 04:13 AM
Pam Shriver and John McEnroe are by far the worst announcers that get a significant amount of air time IMHO.

I don't mind Pam, agree she is bad but occasionally says something cogent. McEnroe is bipolar in his announcing, going from the pole of "sounding like I have never seen a tennis match in his life" to "I am the greatest authority on tennis and everything I say is Gospel". Frankly, of the two poles, I will take the dumb version anytime.
Also, his tendency to overstate things is grating.

Limpinhitter
03-31-2012, 05:46 AM
To me, Tony Trabert and Pat Summerall were the best.

CAM178
04-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Still Justin Gimelstob for me, hands-down. He is the only one that as soon as I hear his voice, I mute the broadcast. That sucks, because I want to hear the points, but he talks during the points. His commentary is almost always riddled with contradiction, too. Overall, though, it's just painful listening to him drone on. He obviously loves the sound of his own voice, and believes that he is the ultimate authority, to the point where he will belittle other co-commentators' comments.

The good news is that every remote comes with a mute button, so problem solved for me when he's commentating.

wimble10
04-01-2012, 09:59 AM
The good news is that every remote comes with a mute button, so problem solved for me when he's commentating.
yes, problem solved today with Macatee and Carillo too. Although I don't totally mute.

dschwa00
07-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Worst Commentator of all-time? I don't think it is a contest.....Chris Evert is SOOOOO BAD she makes Malvai Washington sound great!!!!! I am writing this during the Serena Williams/Aggie Radwanska attempt at a Ladies Singles Final and when you add Chris Evert to give supposed color commentary and the worst "announcer" in tennis who should stick to college football, Chris Fowler, there is only one thing to do... not watch and if, for some reason you find this interesting tennis, at least, for goodness sake MUTE these two upon sight!!!!!

edberg505
07-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Worst Commentator of all-time? I don't think it is a contest.....Chris Evert is SOOOOO BAD she makes Malvai Washington sound great!!!!! I am writing this during the Serena Williams/Aggie Radwanska attempt at a Ladies Singles Final and when you add Chris Evert to give supposed color commentary and the worst "announcer" in tennis who should stick to college football, Chris Fowler, there is only one thing to do... not watch and if, for some reason you find this interesting tennis, at least, for goodness sake MUTE these two upon sight!!!!!

My favourite quote from Evert: "Serena's serve is better than half of the men on tour." Eh, what? I'd rather have Carillo.

mistik
07-07-2012, 06:38 AM
The problem is ı like the hear the sound of the ball thats why ı dont put it on mute.I wish there would be no commentary in tennis.

hcb0804
07-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Chris Evert, due to her incessant kissing of the Williams butts.

rommil
07-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Right now Evert is taking the cake.

Might as well have Kim Kardashian and Snooki take over:)

Start da Game
07-07-2012, 08:12 AM
worst

gimelstob
mark petchy
vijay amritraj
tim henman
david mercer
fred stolle
p mcenroe

best

robbie koenig the king of all commentators
jason goodall
johnny mac
mark woodforde
todd woodbridge

BeHappy
07-07-2012, 08:46 AM
My favourite quote from Evert: "Serena's serve is better than half of the men on tour." Eh, what? I'd rather have Carillo.

Well it actually is. Players like James Blake, Lleyton Hewitt or Andre Agassi dream of serving like Serena.

There are a lot of bad commentators on the BBC, Tim Henman is incredibly annoying, and John Lloyd and Andrew Castle aren't far behind him, Sue Barker and John Inverdale give terrible presenting coverage too. SkySports and Eurosport commentators are all pretty good though.

hedera
07-07-2012, 08:49 AM
That sleeping pill Becker! Ugh...

I like Rob Koenig, David Mercer, Frew McMillan and Mats Wilander.

lcalamar
07-07-2012, 09:06 AM
john mcenroe and darren cahill are very good. they both know when to be quiet and their comments add value, I enjoy them both.

patrick mcenroe, chris everett, brad gilbert are all huge distractions, they drone on and on often repeating the same obvious point over and over. I would put mary carillo in this group also but everett is so bad she has helped me forget bad carillo is.

good announcers know when to let the action on the court speak for itself. unfortunately the vast majority seem to to think they have to be speaking all the time.

Ripster
07-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Chris Evert needs to be on this list

FEDEXP
07-07-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm clearly in the minority but I can't stand John McEnroe; he continually talk about himself on the court which is pretty old stuff. Brad Gilbert is really not very bright and his predictions are usually wrong. Gimelstob and Everet are truly bad,

I like Darrin Cahill and Patrick McEnroe is fine unless he's talking Roddick.

jones101
07-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Davenport has proven herself to be a great commentator,

Evert is comedy gold, but not for the right reasons. There is a hashtag on Twitter called #sh1tchrissiesays which chonicles her pearls of wisdon!

Substitue the 1 with and i.

kanamit
07-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Boris Becker is hilarious as a commentator. Most of the American commentators are simply unlistenable, including the Mcenroes, Fowler, Shriver, Fernandez, etc.

Evert today was nothing short of atrocious.

Thanks to ESPN3, I have been able to watch alternate feeds of the big matches (including the semis) with different commentators than the American ones. Henman isn't as annoying as people say, and *all* the European commentators are SILENT during the points.

Goodall and Koenig are obviously the best of the lot, and I wish I could listen to them every grand slam.

Rock Strongo
07-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Rusedski during a Federer match or anyone having a big O over a certain player.

Honorable mention: Italian commentators. They basically call what they see and everything else before points, during points and efter points.

jones101
07-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Rusedski during a Federer match or anyone having a big O over a certain player.

He's 2x worse on Nadal match!

-RF-
07-07-2012, 12:15 PM
..becker..

SystemicAnomaly
07-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Mary Carillo and P Mac are 2 of my favorites. Are there any voters over the age of 17 that voted for Mary as the worst?

underground
07-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Jim Courier's voice gets to me, it annoys me when he was commentating on ITV during FO.

Where's JMAC? :twisted:

TennisNinja
07-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Mary Carillo and P Mac are 2 of my favorites. Are there any voters over the age of 17 that voted for Mary as the worst?

I did. But that's only because Pam Shriver isn't there.

superdave3
07-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Although I think they finally retired him, I could not stand Bud Collins. He was the only commentator that got excited over a net cord linesman (fortiscue...?). Also, who the heck ever cared about his Uncle Studley at Wimbleton. The only time I wish I had seen him was when he referred to a not so little lady named Betty Stove from and Netherlands after a match as "Big Bad Betty Stove", upon which I guess she threatened him physically if he ever called her that again.

jaggy
07-07-2012, 12:44 PM
I now think Becker who drives me nuts

cork_screw
07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Boris Becker is really bad. During the Fed and Nole match, they needed to get another commentator in because he was not saying a single thing. His colleague asked him some direct questions and becker flat out ignored him (if you want to watch it on ESPN 3 in the replay section). And the other commentator was good. In fact, I think the british commentators are some of the best and most insightful. But I really dislike boris becker. When he talks, it sounds very general and obvious nothing really insightful or colorful, very bland and boring. Same thing with navratilova. So in a way it was good that you didn't hear him much, but I just don't understand why they pay him if that's the case, especially if there are much better commentators out there. But there are a lot of no names that when you hear them commentate, you realize they know nothing about tennis and are just adding filler and pointing out the obvious. I think these are cover commentators that are brought in that do a wide range of sports but they got roped in to fill for a particular event.

Luke Jensen is up there though for just an all around annoying person to listen to, he reminds me a lot of how Bill Walton commentates for the NBA. He says really cliche things and generalizes a lot. And makes things sound a lot more grandiose than they really are and at the same time adding a lot of cheesy filler. It actually reminds me of when Mark Cuban was targeting Skip Bayless and saying that when you say the team that's going to win is the team that "wants it more." That it pretty much the same box that Luke Jensen and Bill Walton are trapped in. It's like when they speak they want to make things sound more than they really are, but in many ways they just generalize things with filler and make them sound very cliche and it's not always true. BTW, Chick Hearn (not tennis though) to me is one of the all time greatest commentators. I really miss him. Here's an example, if they were interviewing for a job they would say, "I'm a go-getter" and a "team player." See how cliche that sounds and it really means nothing. It's just wasted words. It's filler to fill in time, and I hate that. Not only that it sounds cheesy and that is the type of dialogue that they go through when you hear guys like Luke Jensen talk.

I really like the two McEnroes, Brad Gilbert and Cahill. These guys are actual tennis analysts and when they say stuff there is meaning and good content. I enjoy it when they bring up occasional anecdotes.

jamesblakefan#1
07-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Please move Gimelstob to the top of the list. Loves to hear himself talk and tries to make himself seem like the smartest person in the world.

Tennishacker
07-31-2012, 07:05 AM
Please move Gimelstob to the top of the list. Loves to hear himself talk and tries to make himself seem like the smartest person in the world.

Guy is sooo annoying!

jamesblakefan#1
07-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Oh and who can forget the fact that he has to polish Roddick's knob every chance he can get, even when he's getting beat down.

maxatp1990
07-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Justin Gimelnob is the worst commentator!! Loves the sound of his own voice and so dull!

fire_eaters
07-31-2012, 07:33 AM
How about pam shriver? I can't stand that bich. Its funny when she's on with chris evert, they seem like they hate each other

Gangsta
07-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Dick Enberg would be my pick. I just hate commentators that are not neutral enough. You can have your favorites, but don't take it too far. The last straw for me was this guy cutting Del Potro short during the presentation at Flushing. I heard Wilander's commentary on the Nadal-Federer Australian Open semifinal on youtube and it made me cringe how biased he sounded. I find Johnny Mac to be pretty bad because he never ever seems to do any homework. Just because you are one of the greats of the game does not give you the right to show up unprepared for your job.

SStrikerR
07-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Pam Shriver and Mary Carillo. Hate them both.

THUNDERVOLLEY
07-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Patrick takes the title; he's the worst example of an "inside man" with an agenda he practically screams from the rooftops. Whether it was stroking all things Roddick several years ago, to his idiotic notion of wanting all juniors to be trained on clay, to celebrating the one-dimensional baseline-centric game, while damning all the serve and volley form, to pumping his borefest of a book, Patrick McEnroe is the last thing American tennis needs.

Thanks to his on-air influence, one would think Amercians want nothing more than flat-footed baseliners in a slow-court world.

oy vey
07-31-2012, 09:41 AM
the worst is not on the list--Justin Gimelstob

oy vey
07-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Oh and who can forget the fact that he has to polish Roddick's knob every chance he can get, even when he's getting beat down.

Yeah this match with Novak was the" popcorn match" LOL

THUNDERVOLLEY
07-31-2012, 10:03 AM
How about pam shriver? I can't stand that bich. Its funny when she's on with chris evert, they seem like they hate each other

Shriver is light years ahead of Chris as a commentator, which is remarkable, since Evert should be the one to present a greater insight at the majors considering her success at such events.

lcalamar
07-31-2012, 10:14 AM
To me the worst commentators are the ones that never stop blabbering during a match. Unless you have something that adds to the match at hand - let us watch the match in peace.

I'd put Everett, Carillo, Gilbert and Pat McEnroe on the top of my list for that abuse.

Notice in Wimbledon that when Pat and John Mac were together - that John actually seemed annoyed that his brother would never let anyone else up for air?

sportsfan1
07-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Who's "winning" this poll so far, surprised J Mac isn't even listed in the poll, he should be the pick here.

Fee
07-31-2012, 10:40 AM
This thread is 8 years old, it needs to be closed and then someone can do a new poll with all the current commentators like Harry Cicma, Brett Haber, Jimmy Arias, both Macs, Shriver, McAtee, Evert, Martina, Mary Jo, Mary C., Justin, Courier, Gilbert, Fowler, Cahill, Koenig, Goodall, Robinson, etc.

woodrow1029
07-31-2012, 10:46 AM
This thread is 8 years old, it needs to be closed and then someone can do a new poll with all the current commentators like Harry Cicma, Brett Haber, Jimmy Arias, both Macs, Shriver, McAtee, Evert, Martina, Mary Jo, Mary C., Justin, Courier, Gilbert, Fowler, Cahill, Koenig, Goodall, Robinson, etc.

All those names, and you left out probably the actual worst one, Andrew Castle. :-)

Fee
07-31-2012, 10:54 AM
All those names, and you left out probably the actual worst one, Andrew Castle. :-)

I rarely hear him since he doesn't work in the US. I know others hear him on streams and such.

I'm not impressed with Cicma, I'll leave it at that. I understand why people dislike Justin, but I guess I'm just used to him since that's pretty much the was he is off camera too (and he's so much better now than when he started in 2007).

JMac drives me crazy because he talks way too much, talks during points, and can turn any match into a story about his matches 3 decades ago. Pat Mac also talks too much.

Gilbert's nicknames are annoying and disrespectful, in my opinion. I like Fowler and Robinson because I think they ask good questions to get the more knowledgeable commentators to add insights. I love Darren Cahill, but its awkward when he calls matches with the players that he works with.

I think Martina is good but she talks over points too much. McAtee does decent interviews, but should not do matches. I like Mary C. and I really like when she works with Justin, they balance each other pretty well.

I love Justin and Leif Shiras together but sometimes they forget they are watching a match and act like brothers joking around in front of the TV. They're pretty close, it shows when they work together.

kanamit
07-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Say what you will about Mary Carillo. She earned my unending respect for standing up to Pam Shriver and Mary Jo Fernandez when both them were whining about unfairly Serena was treated after her US Open tirade, and how they felt so sorry for her. It basically cost Carillo her job at ESPN. I believe this was during the 2010 Australian Open.

woodrow1029
07-31-2012, 11:00 AM
I rarely hear him since he doesn't work in the US. I know others hear him on streams and such.

I'm not impressed with Cicma, I'll leave it at that. I understand why people dislike Justin, but I guess I'm just used to him since that's pretty much the was he is off camera too (and he's so much better now than when he started in 2007).

JMac drives me crazy because he talks way too much, talks during points, and can turn any match into a story about his matches 3 decades ago. Pat Mac also talks too much.

Gilbert's nicknames are annoying and disrespectful, in my opinion. I like Fowler and Robinson because I think they ask good questions to get the more knowledgeable commentators to add insights. I love Darren Cahill, but its awkward when he calls matches with the players that he works with.

I think Martina is good but she talks over points too much. McAtee does decent interviews, but should not do matches. I like Mary C. and I really like when she works with Justin, they balance each other pretty well.

I love Justin and Leif Shiras together but sometimes they forget they are watching a match and act like brothers joking around in front of the TV. They're pretty close, it shows when they work together.

Yeah, Brad Gilbert is annoying with the names. It's almost like he's trying to be a cheap impersonator of Chris Berman, but Berman is better at it.

I don't like Leif Shiras very much, and I don't know why.

The problem I have with John McEnroe and Martina and Pam Shriver is that anytime there is a situation dealing with a rule (not a line call), but a rule like medical timeouts, or foot fault rules, or toilet breaks, etc., they just automatically assume that the umpire is wrong (sometimes they are, but usually not), and then they will just give out wrong information, instead of actually checking to see what the rule is first. Half of the time only they correct themselves, and then 14 threads start on here about an incorrect ruling when it was actually correct.

Shaolin
07-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Who's "winning" this poll so far, surprised J Mac isn't even listed in the poll, he should be the pick here.

J Mac was not included in the poll because he is awesome. I agree with Fee a new poll could be made with more current commentators, esp Evert and Shriver who I think have taken over as worst.

Fee
07-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Yeah, Brad Gilbert is annoying with the names. It's almost like he's trying to be a cheap impersonator of Chris Berman, but Berman is better at it.

I don't like Leif Shiras very much, and I don't know why.

The problem I have with John McEnroe and Martina and Pam Shriver is that anytime there is a situation dealing with a rule (not a line call), but a rule like medical timeouts, or foot fault rules, or toilet breaks, etc., they just automatically assume that the umpire is wrong (sometimes they are, but usually not), and then they will just give out wrong information, instead of actually checking to see what the rule is first. Half of the time only they correct themselves, and then 14 threads start on here about an incorrect ruling when it was actually correct.

YES! I've nearly broken my TV because of Mac's complete lack of research and understanding about the current rules of the game. And they can get copies of the rulebooks for FREE! They aren't that hard to read, and not really time consuming either. At least Justin does his damn research most of the time, and he's usually quick to admit when he gets it wrong.

I understand the Leif dislike. I used to have it too. When you are around him its easy to get the feeling that he is arrogant because he's a good looking blue eyed blonde, but I've driven him once or twice and he's really not a bad guy. He's a bit standoffish in a cautious way, but I never got a bad vibe from him. Maybe he just liked me for some reason. He says 'and uh' too much in between thoughts. Do not make that a drinking game, you will die by the end of the first set.

sportsfan1
07-31-2012, 02:35 PM
The posts below summarize exactly why you would rather smash your TV set to pieces than listen to JMac ! J Mac just makes up rules/stories and provides his own opinions on what should be done regarding a match situation rather than provide the listener the correct information on what the rules are.

JMac drives me crazy because he talks way too much, talks during points, and can turn any match into a story about his matches 3 decades ago. Pat Mac also talks too much

anytime there is a situation dealing with a rule (not a line call), but a rule like medical timeouts, or foot fault rules, or toilet breaks, etc., they just automatically assume that the umpire is wrong (sometimes they are, but usually not), and then they will just give out wrong information, instead of actually checking to see what the rule is first.

YES! I've nearly broken my TV because of Mac's complete lack of research and understanding about the current rules of the game. And they can get copies of the rulebooks for FREE! They aren't that hard to read, and not really time consuming either.

ktid
07-31-2012, 03:05 PM

He is terrible, I remember watching one of the early GS finals Murray was in and he bigged him up as Britains biggest chance at a grand slam, first match point against him "and has the Scot blown it?"

In Scotland we always complain that that happens all the time hen Murray's losing but he is the ****ing worst for it does my **** in. And the fact he tries to tell the top players what they're doing wrong!?!?!?! He was a career high ranked world no 80 with 1 round 3 showing at wimbledon, go away andrew!

Rippy
07-31-2012, 04:08 PM
lol, Andrew Castle.

Paul Murphy
07-31-2012, 07:40 PM
Kevin Skinner with daylight in second place.

jamesblakefan#1
07-31-2012, 07:46 PM
I started a new thread, will wait until more people weigh in before I add a poll to that one.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=434393

Start da Game
08-01-2012, 09:15 AM
let's just say everybody sucks except

robbie koenig
jason goodall
a few other masters tournaments commentators
johnny mac
todd woodbridge
mark woodforde

lcalamar
08-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Say what you will about Mary Carillo. She earned my unending respect for standing up to Pam Shriver and Mary Jo Fernandez when both them were whining about unfairly Serena was treated after her US Open tirade, and how they felt so sorry for her. It basically cost Carillo her job at ESPN. I believe this was during the 2010 Australian Open.

Yes - kudos to Mary Carillo for standing up to Mary Jo an Pam Shriver - but keep in mind that ESPN are basically shills for the Williams sisters in general. So I blame ESPN more than the individual announcers.

DRII
08-01-2012, 11:39 AM

I like Carillo alot, she adds humor and nice literary references to the discussion.

Is that why she left ESPN, it seems to me that any time Chris Everet joins a broadcasting team, Carillo leaves...

TheCheese
08-01-2012, 01:18 PM
I actually like Johnny Mac and Courier. Brad Gilbert is also good in short spurts.

dschwa00
08-23-2012, 05:43 AM
I have the 1987 US Open Men's Final playing in the background on ESPN Classic.... It brings back some good memories and led me to add to this site that tennis on T.V. has not been the same since the very best team of all-time was replaced... Tony Trabert, John Newcombe and Pat Summerall.... There will never be another tennis broadcast like that again.... The best... and truly....CLASSIC!

RF20Lennon
08-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Rob Koenig Jason Goodall JMac Cahill all my favs maybe even Pmac

wrexel
09-11-2012, 06:06 AM
I feel sorry for all the listeners who have had the misfortune of listening to Rob Koenig and Luke Jensen over the years..

TheF1Bob
09-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Mark Petchey says hi. His commentary yesterday was downright awful.

He thought Nole played a great match...

veritech
09-11-2012, 07:50 AM
i enjoy john mcenroe's commentary sometimes, other times i can't stand it. on the other hand shriver's and luke jensen's commentaries i cannot stand at all. want to strange those two through my screen.

dschwa00
08-13-2013, 07:45 PM
I indicated earlier that the Tennis Channel's line-up is horrendous and that was extremely evident this evening while watching Roger Federer and Phillip Kohlschreiber at the Western & Southern Open from Cincinnati. A Justin Gimelstob broadcast is just ridiculously BAD! DREADFUL is more like it.... It is just embarrassingly bad! His presence just ruins my enjoyment of trying to watch my favorite player play a match. I just find myself asking, "Why?" As in, "Why are you ruining this for me?" Every single point he has to make a comment that is probably unnecessary and ,more than likely, way too much! He acts like he can't believe he got the job and, guess what? Neither can we!!!!!!

World Beater
08-13-2013, 07:47 PM
jmac gets worse and worse...

like becker, roddick, agassi.

pmac is good. shriver has no clue.

cork_screw
08-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Tracy Austin for sure. People don't understand how annoying she is because she doesn't get to do any of the big matches. She's equivalent to the secretary whereas pmac and jmac are like the ceos that run the show. If she got to do the big names, especially on the men's side, everyone would have bleeding ears and brain hemorrhages from the crap that comes out of her mouth.

Goosehead
08-13-2013, 08:25 PM
We can settle this once and for all. Sorry if who you hate isnt on this list but you can write them in. Pesonally I have to say Mal Washington right now because, although he doesnt annoy me as much outright like Carillo or P Mac but he does it more passive-aggressively, by NEVER saying anything interesting or useful, and pointing out only the most painfully obviously things. He wont say anything at all until 45 minutes into the match then its "...break point, Roddick..." and then you dont hear him again until someone misses a short ball from 3 feet behind the net, and then with his amazing insight he will add "...you GOTTA make that..."

Mackay is on there because while sometimes he makes interesting comments, his voice annoys me to death for some reason.

Courier I putting in both polls (best and worst) because he says interesting things and has good insight, but serenading Roddick just doesnt sit well with me.

look everyone..its not far off from being a 10yr old poast..

hello to the good old days. :)

btw even though im in uk thanks to youtube I hear a lot of bill McKay (rip) and he is a favourite..plus they say he was a good bloke.

I noticed when I poasted the quote didn't have a date..but it was feb 2004.

cjs
08-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Here in Australia every summer we have to put up with Bruce McAvaney.

The moron knows nothing about tennis so he spends his time citing meaningless statistics over and over, while sucking up to to the past tennis great who is paired up with him (often Jim Courier).

I wish we had interactive TV where we could turn off the commentary but leave the tennis sounds on.

FEDEXP
08-13-2013, 10:10 PM
I don't know that Justin Gimelstob is the worst but watching earlier in the day today he just wouldn't quit going on about Ryan Harrison and all the strides he's made; it was as if he were trying to "will" him to win over the air. I'm American but Harrison is 102 in the world and he was playing David Ferrer so it was ridiculous.

Overdrive
08-15-2013, 09:39 AM
LOL at Wikipedia on Pam Shriver:

"Shriver has a reputation as one of the worst tennis broadcasters; she has been providing coverage of various events since her 1996 retirement. During Wimbledon 2010, James Blake admonished Shriver for disrupting play with her overly-loud commentary from the box situated above the court behind him. This led to a verbal exchange between the two during the match. USA Today characterized this as an embarrassing and unprofessional performance by Shriver..... She is known for openly criticizing players, her irritating voice, failed attempts at humor, and is personally responsible for ESPN2's drop in ratings during the 2013 Emirates US Open Series."

cork_screw
08-15-2013, 02:56 PM
LOL at Wikipedia on Pam Shriver:

"Shriver has a reputation as one of the worst tennis broadcasters; she has been providing coverage of various events since her 1996 retirement. During Wimbledon 2010, James Blake admonished Shriver for disrupting play with her overly-loud commentary from the box situated above the court behind him. This led to a verbal exchange between the two during the match. USA Today characterized this as an embarrassing and unprofessional performance by Shriver..... She is known for openly criticizing players, her irritating voice, failed attempts at humor, and is personally responsible for ESPN2's drop in ratings during the 2013 Emirates US Open Series."

You cheeky monkey. You wrote that in.

larlarbd
08-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Vijay Amritraj , OMG please shutup, we get him over here w/star-sports .... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, if I didn't like hearing the ball & player movements I'd put mute on - one word : Torture.

yemenmocha
08-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Dick Enberg is the worst