PDA

View Full Version : What Makes The X1 a less-than-perfect baseline stick?

ej
12-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Too much power? Weight? Balance? Too Stiff? What is it?

altawolfe
12-26-2004, 04:32 PM
I'm also curious about this racquet. Seems similar to the 6.0 95.
Do they play similar at all...?

NoBadMojo
12-26-2004, 06:41 PM
the X1 really is good at everything, including from the baseline IMO.very solid, spinny, precise, and enough juice.

BreakPoint
12-27-2004, 10:49 AM
The X-1 is much stiffer than the PS 6.0 95 and is also much more powerful. Perhaps a bit too much power from the baseline at times but very good at hitting nice punch volleys. Serves well, too.

MNJEEPJEEP
12-28-2004, 07:25 PM
The X-1 is dead on the top.

Other than that .... its excellent. This is from a HPS 6.1 user (and my arm is about to fall off from this dang 6.1.... but I cant get rid of it)

NoBadMojo
12-28-2004, 07:39 PM
i didnt sense too much power in this frame nor did i sense any problems at all in the upper hoop. i thought this was a very good frame w excelent feel and controllable power. . the term 'power' is very subjective anyway and also controllable w. strings and tension and spins and abilities. if you haven't tried this one ej, it's a good one even from the baseline IMO

carTW
12-29-2004, 04:55 AM
I have had the X1 for just over a month now, and I don't find it so powerful. It has more power for blocked shots or short swings than a PS6.0 85 or even an i.Prestige MP, but when swinging all out I believe the PS6.0 and the i.Prestige MP can produce more power (easier to put away the ball and to hit the fence with those two than the X1).
With the X1, shots hit outside of the sweet spot still get over the net with very little frame vibration, compared to the the two other racquets, but you feel it in your arm a little more.
My complain with the X1 is that I go through strings very quickly

Craig Sheppard
12-29-2004, 05:33 AM
I've used the X1 for a few months now, and I have to agree w/ NoBadMojo, it may be slightly more powerful than a PS 6.0 95, but it's not overly powerful at all compared to some other frames out there. I know I don't hit the sweetspot every time and I never noticed any really dead spots in the (much talked about but does it really matter) "upper hoop". What *IS* great about the X1 is that the further you go up on the strings, the more open the pattern is. I've found I've really mi**** some balls near the tip but holy cow they drop in b/c of massive spin. It's a solid racquet all around that is a touch old-school.

Craig

Craig Sheppard
12-29-2004, 05:34 AM
m i s s e d gets censored? Sheesh! 'Sup widdat?

bounce-hit
12-29-2004, 06:27 AM
The X1 has been described as "stiff (RDC 64) yet comfortable". Can other users comment on its comfort level -> is it harsh on the arm? I've had occasional elbow issues in the past.

Also it has been described as "muted" and "somewhat dead-feeling" -> does it lack feel on touch shots?

Has anyone felt the need to modify the racquet with lead tape?

Finally, what string setups can you recommend?

Thanks very much.

NoBadMojo
12-29-2004, 06:33 AM
the rec string tension of the x1 is narrow. 55-60 and i suggest people stay within that range and polys i think would be very harsh in this frame. the frame has great feel to it..it feels both stiff and damped at the same time. to me, braided frames can feel harsh. i think <basically> what slazenger has done is to take the old henman braided and develop the x1 handle which seems to be loaded w. dampening material, and you end up w. a stiffer frame that somehow feels dampened. this frame <to me> is for good ball strikers. if you hit it outside of the sweetspot frequently, it can be pretty unpleasant and shocky