PDA

View Full Version : Pull-through

Ronaldo
12-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Hey, this may belong in the stringing section but anyone experience pull-throughs and frame fatigue with any current racquets? Have several Wilson Wide-bodies that were retired due to the throat being too weak to re-string.

LoveThisGame
12-27-2004, 04:12 PM
I'm assuming that by pull-through you mean that the grommet is one in which the string isn't perpendicular to the frame and the grommet barrel is pulling against the side of the frame hole, pulling so much that it is wearing an expanding groove in the frame. It never seems to matter what string or what tension is used.

I've seen but few pull-throughs. Off the top of my head, the only current one that comes to mind is the following. I do have a customer with a Wilson Pro Staff Classic 6.1 95 which has a pull-through problem which will lead to retirement. But he bought this racquet in 1997, so it had had a useful life. It does SEEM to me that I've seen pull-throughs more on Wilson frames.

Ronaldo
12-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Love, that's the problem and even tubing don't help.

LoveThisGame
12-27-2004, 05:31 PM
You're right about the tubing. I have tried to shove a leather pad in between, but the foregone conclusion is racquet retirement.

I've been curious whether an overlarge frame string hole, IOW a gap between the grommet barrel and the string, from day 1 is the cause. A gap would mean that the barrel is going to bend extra and at an angle into the frame when it is strung.

Gee ... being called Love ... sounds English or Aussie. :lol:

PrestigeClassic
12-27-2004, 09:50 PM
What about some good old superglue?

Hawaii 5.0
12-28-2004, 03:31 AM
I've heard of stringers using a homemade epoxy compound to strengthen the expanded grommet hole, but I've never heard of any real success.