PDA

View Full Version : Higher SW= a better volleyer ?

Eric Matuszewski
12-27-2004, 11:24 AM
I've read many reviews that light rackets are better for net play and that lead should be added if you want to hit more powerfull groundstrokes but removed for the sake of mobility if you like to hit alot of volleys.

I've experimented with weighting rackets and found that the stabilizing effect of lead improves volleys (better directional control and more pace with less of a swing).

As far as the increase not being worth the loss in manueverability, I found no evidence of this.

I suppose if you were frequently guessing wrong which volley you needed to hit (forehand instead of backhand or vice versa) and thus frequently needed to switch quickly, a lower swingweight would be more usefull.

However I rarely see this happen exept when one team is dominating another in doubles (poaching frequently and beating up the net player) and even then I can't imagine a lighter swingweight making a difference to the losing team. Certainly not enough to justify losing the advantages of a higher SW.

Has anyone else considered this?

mary fierce
12-27-2004, 11:38 AM
I think you're alluding to the notion that HEADLIGHT, not LIGHT or low swingweight racquets, seem to work best for volleying.

SocalTennis
12-27-2004, 11:48 AM
In my opinion, a good example for a headlight racquet that good for volleying with decend weight for good baseline groundstroke is the PS 6.0 95. It's a 12+ ounces racquet that feel like 11- ounces at the net. It have the weight to put an extra punch on the ball at the same time extremely easy to maneuver at the net.

HeavyBall
12-27-2004, 12:06 PM
I think the operative factor is level of play. As far as most amatuers go, ball speed is (comparatively) slow enough for a player to get a higher sw racket in position for a volley.

At the pro level, they generate power through technique, and, with the higher velocities, need to be able to move the racket as quickly as possible.

I do agree, however, that a heavier, more HH racket tends to volley better, given the time to prepare.

NoBadMojo
12-27-2004, 03:43 PM
many better players like headlight flexy frames for volleying provided the static weight and swingweight arent too low. head heavy or extra length frames are not usually preferred choices for volleying.