PDA

View Full Version : POG

maverick447
12-27-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi ,
I am a 4.0 player .I switched to the POG from the Head Radical Tour OS (yellow , agassi one of yesteryear) after a few recommendations from my friends and thru racquetresearch.com .

I have not been too happy with the POG , in terms of power . I had strung mine at 65 lbs . My partner noticed the lack of power in my strokes and what used to be a good duel is now a 6-0, 6-1 thrashing !

Recently the strings for the POG broke and I went back to my Head(strung at 58-60) and i was able to reach the balls more easily due to the lighter weight and I was hitting with more power .

I am confused as to what raquet i need to play with now . Will stringing the POG to 58-60 solve the issue or is it a fundamental problem with the raquet not suiting my game ?

I need some advice .
thanks

devilish_duke
12-27-2004, 02:36 PM
What headsize POG do you use? I use the mid (93). It was a recent switch that was pretty bad at first, mainly due to my strings being at max. I dropped them a couple pounds below mid range and I've gotten decent power and awesome feel since then. I don't I'm that good at tennis to comment on ur game, nor do I know what it is, but the above is what worked for me and now I'm having a blast. I do believe that Agassi used to use the POG OS tho, so maybe it's just the transition period from your old racquet.

maverick447
12-27-2004, 02:47 PM
I used the oversize 110 sq inch one . The one thing that I have not embraced is the added weight of the POG . Its like a piece of rock

maverick447
12-27-2004, 02:51 PM
The coach in my club was sayng that the NXG series is similar to the POG . is that true ? What are the differences ?

devilish_duke
12-27-2004, 03:02 PM
I don't think they are too similar, then again I do use the OS head for the NXG. There's more power for sure, and the sweetspot is easier to hit. There's less "feel" though, but I disagree with what some posts say about swinging with a dead stick. It's a good racquet overall with less vibration. Keep in mind I use different headsizes. I personally use the NXG more when I play doubles.

ollinger
12-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Unless I'm missing something here, the solution is to go back to the racquet you were using. Guys you used to beat are cleaning your clock since you switched -- what's the mystery? Different racquets work best for different people. The friends who suggested the POG likely meant well but that doesn't make it the best choice for you.
________
Live sex webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

equinox
12-27-2004, 10:09 PM
I have not been too happy with the POG , in terms of power . I had strung mine at 65 lbs . My partner noticed the lack of power in my strokes and what used to be a good duel is now a 6-0, 6-1 thrashing !

65 lbs is very tight!. Last time i strung at 65 lbs my arm nearly fell off.

Try 57 lbs as a starting tension point and then adjusting up or down 2 lbs until you find right combination of power and control.

The POG is a solidly weighted like most classic racquets from the past.

You need good early preparation and sound stroke mechanics.

Concentrate on placement and shorts angles rather than absolute power.

It's great allrounders racquet suited for players from baseline basher to serve volleyers.

Stick with the POG. You'll be rewarded with better strokes and more control at the end of day.

maverick447
12-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Thank you for your suggestion . i think i will stick to that recommendation , by stringing this one at 58 .

Xevoius
12-28-2004, 10:57 PM
I string mine at 58lbs and feel like I get plenty of power. I was also concerned about the weight of the racquet when I first started hitting with it and even felt like it was too much for my arm to handle but after a couple of days it started feeling lighter until a couple of months and then I felt I needed to add weight. I eventually went up a full oz to try and get the feeling of a somewhat heavy racquet back. I will probably have to add even more weight when my muscles have adjusted.

Give yourself time to adjust.

My game went to crap when I first switched back to the POG OS but now it has surpassed what it was with my old 11+ oz Dunlop 200G and have had no arm problems - none.

Oh, and give the polyester strings a try as 58 was too loose for any multifilaments that I tried but is just right for all of the polys. Just stick a pack of Lux BB ALU on there and you won't be disappointed.

AndrewD
12-29-2004, 04:45 AM
Xevoius, was that the old 200G you used to use, the Graf and Mac one?
Thats the frame I was using up until last year so Id be interested to know how you made the change from it to the oversize POG. Im hitting with an old Prince Graphite Comp 110 at the moment. Doesnt feel like an oversize but way too much flex. I know the 200G had flex but it had such a solid feel it wasn't so noticeable.

SocalTennis
12-29-2004, 06:40 PM
The POG is consider a player racquet so you shouldn't expect any power from it. Like many people in this forum have said, early preparation and good timing is the key. I strung mine at 63 (lowered from 66) and I noticed a big different in playability. Don't give up just yet, you should experiment at different tension and with different strings.

radical tourist
12-29-2004, 08:47 PM
The POG OS is a great racquet, wonderful control, but kiss the power you got out of your Radical goodbye. It can also be harder on the arm. But more important, actual specs can differ significantly from official spec. Could be your stick is significantly under spec on swingweight, making you work a lot harder. It's worth a few bucks to find out what you're actually playing with.

Xevoius
12-30-2004, 10:47 AM
I used to used the Old Mac 200G a long time ago and then switched to a HM 200G until I stared having arm problems. I then pulled an old POG OS out of my garage and have since bought and traded for 5 more of them.

ollinger
12-30-2004, 11:19 AM
I also switched back to POG-OS after trying ALL of the balsa-crap that's come down the pike in the past year....I don't see anything out there that's better, and it definitely feels lighter and lighter as you go. A few months ago I wondered if the weight was too much and now I handle fast reflex volleys with ease (no trouble reacting quickly, and 107 sq. in. leaves plenty of margin for error.)
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA SEEDS (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

bob
12-30-2004, 01:22 PM
I have my POG OS strung with Gosen micro sheep 17g at 60 lbs. Plays great.

Hi ,
I am a 4.0 player .I switched to the POG from the Head Radical Tour OS (yellow , agassi one of yesteryear) after a few recommendations from my friends and thru racquetresearch.com .

Recently the strings for the POG broke and I went back to my Head(strung at 58-60) and i was able to reach the balls more easily due to the lighter weight and I was hitting with more power .

I am confused as to what raquet i need to play with now . Will stringing the POG to 58-60 solve the issue or is it a fundamental problem with the raquet not suiting my game ?

I need some advice .
thanks

hummer23
12-30-2004, 01:54 PM
i just hit with hte POG mid for the first time. its really sweet. great sweetspot and awsome control. the touch is better than tour 90 or any of that new stuff. great all around frame. im very impressed with it.

Stormwolf
12-30-2004, 07:42 PM
I suggest working on your mechanics. The POG oversize is by no means a low-powered frame. I used to string my POG Mid. @ 63lbs with TiMO 18 - the equivalent of 70lbs - - and this in a midsize frame. What do you mean by a lack of power? Are your balls landing short? - Swing harder. People that pick up my frame sometimes can hardly get the ball past the service line, and sometime not even above the net! ~ And these are 4.5-5.0 level players.
It's imporant to use your body as well - but of course you know this. Technique is the key factor in tennis - Flipper can serve an average of 122 with a wooden stick, you should be able to get significant power out of a POG oversize @ 65lbs which in my opinion, is a pretty powerful frame. (I assume you're not stringing with full kevlar when I say this). If you stick with the POG at that - or maybe higher - tension, you will be rewarded with far better control and the ability to change those "duels" into 6-0,6-1 bashings --> in your favour.

AndrewD
12-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Ollinger, I think you've just hit on why Im looking to make the change to the POG.

Basically I'm totally fed up with the amount of junk the racquet companies keep trying to feed us, the way these days that a frame only lasts 1-2 seasons at best and the exhorbitant price they want to charge for those few that are actually worth using.

I remember in the 80's when Prince had the Graphite Pro, Spectrum and Magnesium Pro - all great frames and all very, very affordable. My stick was the Dunlop 200G but I did try those and thought they were all of the highest quality.

So, far as I can see, the POG (along with a few Wilsons, although Ive never been keen on their range) is the best quality and most affordable frame I can get my hands on. In the meantime Im using the (very) old Prince Graphite Comp 110. Too flexy but still better than most of what Ive demoed lately.

maverick447
12-31-2004, 05:52 PM
All my comparision were relative to the Head Radical Tour . i guess my stroke mechanics need an overhaul. I have strung my POG at 59 . I havent yet had the chance to play with it . I will be conscious of all the posts here while playing .

drummerboy
01-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Maverick you can demo the POG mid also and see how that goes. I was playing with Radical racquets for like 2 or 3 years and then got my hands on POG mid and I am not looking back at all. POG is great. Very stable, good spin etc.

maverick447
01-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Observations after pplaying with a 58 lbs strung , KlipperMate titanium

I coulld get more power . I was making a conscious effort to swing harder , but I was always landing the ball in the center(midway between baseline and service line) . I want to be able to have cross court angles . My opponent has this knack of hitting down the line , with a depth of the ball being close the service line and in most of the cases its the opposite side of where I am . I dont know why I find it extremely difficult to handle these kinda returns . I need to know what the approach should be .