PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Tennis

Rabbit
02-28-2008, 02:52 PM
OK, so there's this show on the Tennis Channel called Tactical Tennis. It features Paul Annacone providing analysis while two club level players hit behind him. I would guess the players are 4.5 - 5.0 level. Their strokes look like something you might see on your local courts.

Anyway, the amazing thing is a couple of times Annacone gets on court and demonstrates the right way to do things, or the drill. What is truly amazing is to watch him hit with a 4.5. - 5.0 player. The NTRP player is swinging his/her *** off and Annacone is generating twice the pace and really good placement with half the swing.

Average Joe versus World Class Pro.... It ain't a contest.

TonyB
02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I know you're probably exaggerating, but in all seriousness, if Annacone (who is way over the hill) is hitting TWICE the pace and HALF the swing of 4.5-5.0 players, then the guys are no where near 5.0. The main difference between 5.0 players and touring pros aren't that they hit so much harder, but rather that they consistently do it every shot for 5 sets.

For example, there's a 3.5 player at my club who hits a 120+ MPH serve, but the rest of his strokes aren't anywhere near good enough to beat even 4.0 level players. So yeah, he can hit just as hard as a pro, but that's not what separates them.

I think I get your point, though. I'll have to watch that show and see what you're talking about.

ohplease
02-29-2008, 05:51 AM
I know you're probably exaggerating, but in all seriousness, if Annacone (who is way over the hill) is hitting TWICE the pace and HALF the swing of 4.5-5.0 players, then the guys are no where near 5.0. The main difference between 5.0 players and touring pros aren't that they hit so much harder, but rather that they consistently do it every shot for 5 sets.

For example, there's a 3.5 player at my club who hits a 120+ MPH serve, but the rest of his strokes aren't anywhere near good enough to beat even 4.0 level players. So yeah, he can hit just as hard as a pro, but that's not what separates them.

I think I get your point, though. I'll have to watch that show and see what you're talking about.

Have you ever had the privilege to hit with someone who's played on tour? There's a vast, fundamental difference between what happens at the pro level and rec tennis, even at the highest reaches of NTRP handicapping.

TonyB
02-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Have you ever had the privilege to hit with someone who's played on tour? There's a vast, fundamental difference between what happens at the pro level and rec tennis, even at the highest reaches of NTRP handicapping.

I've hit against someone who has beaten a few players ranked around 300 on the tour. Frankly, his strokes didn't impress me as much as you guys are making it sound like. Could I win a game from him? No way. But he wasn't blowing me off the court.

I was impressed, but not by the power, but rather by the control and placement he was able to achieve WITH the power. And his strokes weren't "effortless"... he was putting some serious effort behind them, just like the guys on tour. Nobody gets that kind of power without trying.

chrisdaniel
02-29-2008, 10:32 PM
No one gets that power without trying huh? well maybe to a certain point your right.

Check out this vid
Now Obviously he's trying to a certain point, but it does LOOK very,very, effortless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpOnM3u7vY

Josherer
02-29-2008, 11:12 PM

My coach used to be on the tour :)

yourmom08
03-03-2008, 06:59 AM
my boss at the club i work at was in the top 50 for a time on the WTA back in the the wood racket days and its still ridiculous to watch her hit, every shot just looks so simple. It's cool to hit with someone three times my age that can outplay me :)