PDA

View Full Version : when am i suppose to restring?

rorourboat320
02-28-2008, 03:30 PM
so i've never broken a string and i usually restring my racquets whenever i feel the tension has gotten to low. i play about 3-4 times a week so is there a certain number of months when i'm suppose to restring? i heard some people say that they play 5 times a week so they restring 5 times in a year, 4times a week so they restring 4 times in a year and so on...

hewittfan3
02-28-2008, 07:12 PM
so i've never broken a string and i usually restring my racquets whenever i feel the tension has gotten to low. i play about 3-4 times a week so is there a certain number of months when i'm suppose to restring? i heard some people say that they play 5 times a week so they restring 5 times in a year, 4times a week so they restring 4 times in a year and so on...

It mainly depends on the strings you use. If you use Luxilon Big Banger than you should probably restring every month if your playing atleast 3 times a week. Otherwise I would still restring more often than what you have heard those other people play expecially if your playing competitively.

djokster
02-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Restring whenever the tension goes down or you feel that the racquet feels different/weird on shots. The suggestions of stringing 5 or 4 times a year is not at all true. If you play about 3-4 days a week, I would suggest restringing once a month. Also, what string are you using currently and on what racquet. Maybe I could give you some advice.

jsuwan
02-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Restring whenever the tension goes down or you feel that the racquet feels different/weird on shots. The suggestions of stringing 5 or 4 times a year is not at all true. If you play about 3-4 days a week, I would suggest restringing once a month. Also, what string are you using currently and on what racquet. Maybe I could give you some advice.

If i used cyber flash 17g. strung @ 53 lbs on wilson k90. play 4 times a week. how often should i change my string?

Skybox006
02-28-2008, 07:33 PM
I usually try to restring when the strings loose their feel. I string my rackets with Luxilon Alu Power Rough and can usually tell when they start to loose control. Usually though I try to restring once a month, just so I can keep a constant feel in the rackets. I find that this is the best way to keep the tension and feel the same for me.

hewittfan3
02-28-2008, 07:37 PM
If i used cyber flash 17g. strung @ 53 lbs on wilson k90. play 4 times a week. how often should i change my string?

I would string your racquet atleast once a month

djokster
02-28-2008, 07:39 PM

Probably every 3-4 weeks. Do you usually use this string setup?

jsuwan
02-29-2008, 04:16 AM
Probably every 3-4 weeks. Do you usually use this string setup?

I've been used this setup for almost 2 months now. I change every 2-3 weeks.. this setup work well for me...

Stan
02-29-2008, 04:21 AM
With your setup you should change after 20 - 30 hours of court time.

rorourboat320
02-29-2008, 08:24 PM

i use pro supex big ace on mains and touch or titan(syn gut strings) on the crosses.

tbini87
02-29-2008, 08:35 PM
how seriously do you play? how many racquets do you rotate (if any)? what type of ball do you hit and how hard do you swing?

if you are a serious player then every little advantage helps, and i would restring no less than every 3-4 weeks. i play 6 times a week with two matches per week and restring about every 2 weeks due to tension loss. many of my teammates have to restring about every week due to breaking strings so quickly (even when using poly!).

if you are a recreational player and aren't playing any tournies or matches then i don't think it really matters. you will notice major tension loss and a lot of string movement. if that bothers you, then restring. if it doesn't bother you, then wait until they break or until they feel totally dead (2-3 months maybe?).

your setup sounds like a good one that should hold decent tension, and you probably don't need to be stringing more than once a month if you play 3 times a week and are a recreational player who doesn't rotate multiple racquets.

rorourboat320
02-29-2008, 08:44 PM
^^ well i have 3 racquets. one for practicing, one for matches, and a backup for matches. i'm a varisty high school tennis player who doesn't play much outside of school. we play in tournaments twice a month.

lisp
02-29-2008, 09:23 PM
i would think a full poly setup should be restrung when a noticeable tension and control loss

don't want to hijack this thread but how long do you guys think a hybrid of klip legend mains and sppp crosses last until it needs to be restrung

i'm trying to get the best playtime value

ChocolatePie
03-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Poly strings should be restringed every month or so if you play 3-4 times a week. A synthetic gut can last wayyyy longer though.

Also if you're seeing a lot of fraying you might want to restring it.

Zhou
03-01-2008, 12:48 PM
There is no point in have a practice racket.
I would suggest using all 3 rackets and rotating them.